Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I suspect either Javi and/or Ben are toast, since I imagine that if Icy Bob is going to be used for anything it's to go straight up to the engine and take it over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I suspect either Javi and/or Ben are toast, since I imagine that if Icy Bob is going to be used for anything it's to go straight up to the engine and take it over.

Since they're one of a handful of people who knows how the engine works, and how to operate it and maintain it, I'm guessing Wilford is leaving them alone. Though it'd be funny if he took the engine and realized that he has no actual idea how to run the train, because he's not an engineer, and doesn't actually understand how it all works.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Catching up, thoughts on six:
- Pretty good. I don't buy it as an episode. It's not intense enough, Melanie's pretty much fine. It's not scary. Some bad things happen, but honestly she seemed to pull through pretty easily. Her hallucinations were pretty standard, and didn't really seem to get her into much trouble. She's never in much fear of losing her mind; the hallucinations were mostly pretty therapeutic and useful. Melanie remains pretty stoic throughout. Or I've just forgotten a lot and I'm talking out of my arse. Who knows. But it's an hour of watching Jennifer Connolly do a lot of acting, and she's great and makes the most of her opportunity to go big at the end.
- Ben continues to be a nothing character and a waste of Iddo Goldberg (and yet another example of Graham Mason being unable to write anything interesting for his seriously minded dudes to do.)
- There's no way we're getting to that train drama until at least two more episodes from now. Betting Alex (or someone) turns Big Alice back around to grab Melanie, risking Snowpiercer.
- rats are cute.

Thoughts on Seven:
- no idea how a playlist containing Skeeter Davis's "Don't They Know It's The End of The World" survived the post-apocalypse. I'd have chucked it personally. But hey, that's a comically evil choice to play under the circumstances.
- ooft. "Aussie" is not pronounced like that. "Ozzie" not "Ossie", and lean into the nasal passages.
- as if there's a little old lady chainsmoking while tethered to an oxygen supply. There's literally no way the train could support someone like that, or that the doctors we've met on Snowpiercer would allow it.
- I originally thought we'd get back to the situation with Melanie in episode 8, but given that this episode seems to mark the exact midpoint in Snowpiercer's journey away from, and then back to, Melanie, we're not getting back to it until episode 9.
- The Pike comedy stuff is so weird. He's doing a comic decent into addiction and ongoing trauma that the series both takes seriously and encourages us to find silly. It's good, I'm enjoying it, I'm only pointing out that it's a bit unusual.
- Oh hey, Kevin survived.
- Lena Hall is really impressing me this season. There's this weirdly catatonic glaze across her eyes this episode, like dissociating. You could see her maybe floating into a Lady Macbeth kind of role, a season down the line. I also like the idea of Miss Audrey (OH HEPBURN, OF COURSE) reimagined as Mr Wilford's Sex Minister For Propaganda. It fits well with the set design: Orwellian industrial, but with a bit of a Weimar fetishism seeping in at the edges.
- There's no way First Class Pastor Nina would be an acolyte of Wilford's. She played a key role in supporting Melanie's coup. That's such a blatant bullshit reveal. Amanda Brugel's one of those great, classy Canadian bit players though -- she's great here, she's great in The Handmaid's Tale, and she was so good on Orphan Black. Maybe Mason was just really keen to work with her again, so he gave her something to do. But I don't really buy her as a murder ninja, to be honest.
- Of course it was the priest. Called it the minute he turned up. Also this confrontation between him and Till is rubbish.
- I found the Ruth plot this episode compelling, but really overwraught. Playing the cute kid card, and then the traumatic flashbacks to past misdeeds? That's laying it on a bit thick for me, show.
- Icy Bob's gonna jump a whole level down on the train roundabout isn't he? That'd be loving awesome.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The old Russian lady was on the train because of her connection to Wilford, not her usefulness to the train. Despite how unhinged he is, we've seen he does have a sentimental side, deep down.

The tension just keeps getting higher and higher. I'd forgotten about that Ruth arm bit - that was from when she was more an expy of Tilda Swinton's character from the film, and they've gone in a different direction since then.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I thought it was nice that they remembered and explicitly showed Ruth punishing the tailies.

It absolutely made sense that the girl would be traumatized, and sets up the perfect reason why Ruth would turn against Wilford.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Open Source Idiom posted:

- ooft. "Aussie" is not pronounced like that. "Ozzie" not "Ossie", and lean into the nasal passages.
- Lena Hall is really impressing me this season.
- Icy Bob's gonna jump a whole level down on the train roundabout isn't he? That'd be loving awesome.
- I doubt the little girl raised by Wilford would be taught the proper way to say "Aussie." When the apocalypse hits, proper pronunciation of things seems like something I'd de-prioritize.
- This is, probably, the first time in the show I've enjoyed Lena Hall. She's more fun as confident-psychotic than her usual depressed-psychotic she's shown in the past.
- I'm sure by the time the next episode hits, they'll be out of the corkscrew. The show bends the rules of nature a bit but having Icy Bob literally jump off a cliff and land on the train is just a bit too unbelievable. Besides, the corkscrew was there to 1: reference the movie and 2: provide a way to let the train know that the train was taking sides. Man, what a great CG shot that was. I hope I can get a better definition rip of this episode at some point so I can stare at it with more clarity.

Episode was fine. I was disappointed it was as simple as "it's the preacher" considering they made it obvious from the get-go by having his shrines prominently display Wilfred junk. One of the few times the show couldn't swerve expectations. Having him suffer a half-cocked suicide attempt by ice-head should make for some nice makeup in future episodes.

That said, now that we have a pretty good visual indication that half the train doesn't want Layton's leadership, I wonder if the show will ever get to a point where "One Train" becomes a thing again. Seems like the rest of the series will just play out as a Wilfred vs Layton/Mel war of sorts, with the rest of the train as pawns to play with. I hope I'm wrong since the series will need relief moments and power rebalancing but Sean Bean won't die due to his new contract stipulations and things are at the height of a breaking point. In any case, the show's still interesting and fun so I'm looking forward to next week!

OH and we saw the breakman's family! They're real! And adorable! Mike O'Malley's come a long way since Guts.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 10, 2021

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

whats beans contract stips?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

ptkfvk posted:

whats beans contract stips?
He'll only takes roles where he doesn't die. If it wasn't getting tired for him, it was getting tired for anyone who wanted his characters' fates to be a little less obvious. Though now that the news is out, it'd make any new character's death a surprise.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

he'll end up on top in a cliffhanger leading into season 3

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I suspect he'll be in charge by the end of next episode but the end of the season will be another revolution against him after he shows how incompetent he is as an actual leader.

Him sticking around into season three is certainly possible but I'm kind of hoping season three revolves around a new crisis.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I used to think he'd be done, but it could go either way -- if he sticks around next season, it'll be to do some sort of election plot, I reckon. Maybe a plot where they depose the evil tyrant, but I feel like they've done that.

DaveKap posted:

- I doubt the little girl raised by Wilford would be taught the proper way to say "Aussie." When the apocalypse hits, proper pronunciation of things seems like something I'd de-prioritize.

gently caress oath bro, she and the Australian girl are meant to be best friends. Something would have been said.

And Wilford is absolutely the type of person who'd be pedantic about pronunciation. He runs an authoritarian book club.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

gently caress oath bro, she and the Australian girl are meant to be best friends. Something would have been said.

And Wilford is absolutely the type of person who'd be pedantic about pronunciation. He runs an authoritarian book club.
I truly, honestly think it wouldn't come up. I'm the last American, I tell you, my only friend, I am the last American. You say OK and we move on with the next 7 years. I don't ever hear you tell other people I'm the last American because neither of us care, it doesn't really matter anymore. The world ended. The only time it would ever come up is if another American was found. Then you say "yeah he's the last 'Murican." Watch me as I not care that you said it wrong.

I'm not dismissing the absolute fact that she said it wrong because nobody was on set to correct her. I'm simply saying it's super easy to, in real life, get a pass on that.

And Wilford still wouldn't care because he's British. He's pedantic and authoritarian, but he's also self-centered.

Also, yes, Wilford is definitely going to be in power as a cliffhanger for the season. I hope we don't have to wait 2 years for S3.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Mar 10, 2021

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The finale is called Into the White which is rather ominous. Perhaps There won't even BE a train next season.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

DaveKap posted:

He'll only takes roles where he doesn't die. If it wasn't getting tired for him, it was getting tired for anyone who wanted his characters' fates to be a little less obvious. Though now that the news is out, it'd make any new character's death a surprise.

This is still the funniest thing to me.

This happens all the time in real-life, what is your hang-up here.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Cult of personality aside, what do third class think having Wilfred in charge is going to do for them day to day? Melanie was using a less ruthless version of Wilfred's plan, and that was pretty bad. At least with Layton they get better food and more freedoms, they just have to tolerate the tallies in exchange.

The Alex/Emilia dynamic is really natural and well done.

Icy Bob is being prepared!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

OldMemes posted:

Cult of personality aside, what do third class think having Wilfred in charge is going to do for them day to day? Melanie was using a less ruthless version of Wilfred's plan, and that was pretty bad. At least with Layton they get better food and more freedoms, they just have to tolerate the tallies in exchange.
Funny how just 7 years of "gently caress you got mine" combined with 7 years of "they're so bad, Hospitality has to take their arms" combined with 7 years of "they're so low, they're used as slave labor" combined with seeing them win a bloody war that took place through all your train cars... will make you think that, yes, Tailies did just murder a bunch of people who were important towards keeping the train running smoothly.

Y'know, I could almost change that to 4 years and make a parallel to the real world but we can keep that poo poo out of this thread.

It's worth noting that Thirds wanted a proper election and it's been over a month (did they mention 2 months?) since they were promised one, so it's entirely possible they're feeling like Layton is gripping to power (how's that living space and dining car, Layton?) while only representing the interests of the Tail and the Third feels necessary to overthrow him.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 10, 2021

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

keep in mind also that the audience gets a unique view into Wilford and how much of a psychopath he is, most of the people on snowpiercer only know him by the legend or by brief contact with the smiling genial charismatic face he puts on in public

consider how much people in real life fawn over the royals and politicians despite them being horrific parasites and despite their atrocious behaviors and ideologies being perfectly well known by anyone who cares to look, then consider that Sean Bean Wilford is far more charismatic than most real people and also that he's been canonized as the savior of mankind for the last seven years

also Wilford isn't even really a person, he's the show's walking talking embodiment of capital

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
If Layton was smart he would do something rather drastic and bold.

He'd make a council.

Have himself, people like Ruth and the security leader on it. Melanie as well to help represent the first class and thus putting pressure on Wilford.

Maybe the department heads would all have a vote.

That way no one person could be fault or hold sway.

But I suppose everyone enjoys someone they view as a true leader don't they. How many elections have been lost and won due to the main person running. Many.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Layton was a cop who fell into an informal leadership role among a group of what amount to prisoners

he ain't no Lenin

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Those last 5 minutes were a real :psyduck: for me tbh.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
:same:

I mean I get it. But they didn't really show what happened, maybe they figured it was kind of a foregone conclusion and not showing the conflict would demonstrate that better. We can infer what happened without having to see it in detail I guess. It just felt kind of bing bang boom 3 seconds after the crisis when I'm guessing a bit more time had actually gone by.

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 16, 2021

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I think they glossed over that so the last two episodes can revolve around taking back the train. I suspect Josie will be key there due to her connection with Bob and her own cold resistance.

I wouldn't be surprised if she's the leader by the end of the season as per her discussion with Layton earlier.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Mar 16, 2021

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Programming note: There's no episode next week. It's going to be a double episode finale on March 29.

Three things this episode.
1) Layton really should have let Boscovic on the radio after he discovered the truth about Wilford. His testimony could turn a lot of people back to Layton's side, potentially.
2) While Layton could have killed Wilford at any time, I think that Layton is just super averse to any more killing. He knows that if Wilford dies there's never going to be any political stability on the train. I'm not sure that letting Wilford reimpose his 'order' is going to be preferable for the longterm survival of the train.
3) We now know that the reason Snowpiercer never responds to the radio messages is because Wilford is a collosal rear end in a top hat who doesn't care about the climate model or rescuing Melanie. He probably figures that he wouldn't survive long enough for the outside to be habitable anyway.

Speculation:
When Snowpiercer passes by Melanie, we saw that there were sparks on the braking system.

Layton is in the back of the train along with Josie who now has ice resistance. Big Alice also has 2 extra volt sleds. I think Alex was slowing down the train to drop off a rescue team.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

So I know I'm probably gonna sound like a stupid fanboy saying this but I'm actually really impressed that the showrunners had the gall to actually skip a foregone conclusion war. There are a lot of times where conflict is happening in a show and it's pretty obvious what the result of the conflict is gonna be, so the conflict itself doesn't feel like it's worth the time to even watch. For Snowpiercer, it actually makes sense to skip a tail-v-rest battle because we already saw it and having to see it again is a bit pointless.

That being said, there wasn't so much a war that was skipped as there were just a couple scenes of "Wilford won" rubbing-it-in-your-face kinda stuff. It was mentioned the tailies were already shoved back into the tail, so all that really happened was Layton giving up which in turn signaled everyone under him to move on with their lives and try to stay safe. The jump from Layton realizing he's lost to being in cuffs is, well, just another really decently done swerve by the show and I'm for it. I don't believe we missed anything other than the chance to yell at the screen more that Ben, Roche, or Layton should've snapped his neck when they had the chance or complain about not putting Boki on the speakers. I think we can definitely chalk some of this up to Layton getting a little too comfortable with his new lifestyle in the first class section. Meanwhile, Wilford's short, failed cons being followed up by a successful long con feels like something we don't see enough in entertainment. It completely breaks narrative norms and is why I love this show so much.

I laughed at the "two dunces fall in love" plot. It's... admittedly kinda cute to see a psychopathic 1%er enjoy being respected for doing work. Doesn't really absolve either of them but it's more interesting than just throwing her character out the window. I'm certainly invested enough to wonder where the plot for them is supposed to go.

I'm sad we're losing Mike O'Malley. Hopefully his time in the drawers isn't any longer than Steven Ogg's was. Speaking of which, I'll be curious to see what role he takes in the next episodes. OH and I'm glad we're seeing the drawers again! Between Strong Boy losing his other language and the absence of their blueprints in the opening, I had a feeling the Season 2 writers were throwing those out completely. Hopefully Chekov's Drawers still have a plan behind them and aren't just a place to put actors into cold storage so they can take a break.

I really didn't think the show would just go straight to a "Wilford won" status but it makes sense when I was fearful last week that the show was going to get stuck in a cold war-esque state. Definitely looking forward to seeing where else this crazy train goes but I'm gonna be real sad if Mel doesn't get back on board by the time the finale ends.

Edit: It's worth noting that some filming for season 3 episodes 1 and 2 began last week so I think it's entirely possible there won't be a delay for season 3 to air. I'd have to assume it'll be a year at most but if we're lucky, maybe we'll get it sooner.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Mar 16, 2021

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

DaveKap posted:

I'm sad we're losing Mike O'Malley. Hopefully his time in the drawers isn't any longer than Steven Ogg's was.

I still didn't get this. Why was he and his family put in the drawers?

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

I still didn't get this. Why was he and his family put in the drawers?

I assume Wilford just wanted him out of the way.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
He was putting the train above Wilford, gotta learn him a lesson

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

This show is so good at creating convincing relationships between characters. Even though Mrs. Roche was in two episodes, they really managed to sell the connection between them, and it was a "ouch" moment to see her in the drawers.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
The drawers are really a great way to put a character out of the picture but leaving the possibility that they can return later.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Early Mr. Wilford promo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNFBV0ugEgU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

And like that I suddenly support Mr. Wilford's glorious reign.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I'm sad that Icy Bob was such an anticlimax after all the buildup. I would have liked to see him gently caress poo poo up at his full potential.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This is pretty depressing. Where the gently caress do things go from here?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

This is pretty depressing. Where the gently caress do things go from here?

We still haven't gotten to that Melanie scene from a few eps ago! It seems like things are going to get worse before they get better!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

evobatman posted:

I'm sad that Icy Bob was such an anticlimax after all the buildup. I would have liked to see him gently caress poo poo up at his full potential.

I'm hoping he at least gets to go out in some big moment against Wilford.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Idgi, why did Wilford need Icy Bob for the sabotage? Looks like any trained person in a space suit could have done it. Surely Big Alice must have breachmen or could train some?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'm doubting a regular breachman could've walked the ten miles of train like he did even with the suit. That's a lot of oxygen.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

GABA ghoul posted:

Idgi, why did Wilford need Icy Bob for the sabotage? Looks like any trained person in a space suit could have done it. Surely Big Alice must have breachmen or could train some?

Icy Bob was a breachmen. I'm guessing something happened early with Big Alice that made it necessary to develop the cold resistance tech and that somehow that's easier than making more suits.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Hakkesshu posted:

We still haven't gotten to that Melanie scene from a few eps ago! It seems like things are going to get worse before they get better!

Should be next episode, they were about two hours away from her or seemed to be according to dialogue said. Guess we know the brakes get thrown on Big Alice hence the sparks/fire.

GABA ghoul posted:

Because break men can't be out too long, even with suits. Travelling the full length of Snowpiercer and the trains to Big Alice is quite the journey, a journey moving at full speed, with freezing snow and ice. We saw what condition Icy Bob was in when he made it back and it looked like he barely made it happen. It's why they were increasing his tolerance to the outside. No ordinary person could do it, they probably wouldn't make it a third of the way. Remember you got to kinda climb atop the train like the sole breakman did during this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I might have missed something, but what was the relevance of the flare that Layton fired right at the end before waking up?