Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

BlazetheInferno posted:

Placing a Satellite, doing well on a Terror Mission, and occasionally Council Missions are the main ways to lower panic. The Alien Base assault will also reduce worldwide panic, but that's a one-off.

Beyond that, you're out of luck. Getting Satellite Coverage as widespread and fast as possible is the number one objective in the Strategy Layer. And as a note on Satellites - the best time to place them is *right* before the month ticks over use them to knock down panic on anybody who's currently panicking, then shoot for continent bonuses. Abduction panic can spill over to countries on the rest of a continent - if, say, Canada has 4 panic and a Satellite, ignoring an abduction in the U.S. will push Canada up to 5 panic. But once a full continent has coverage, that continent is officially secured and safe, unless you let the enemy shoot one down - which requires you to either be *SEVERELY* behind in power-scaling, or actively trying to screw up.

The bold part makes it sound like 'leaving' events all happen at the end of the month? I hadn't noticed that. I think I might restart this game and try and get a bunch of satellites up quickly - from reading around that helps with your credits as well, which I'm constantly constrained by.

Also, squad sight is... incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah. One thing the game doesn't tell you is that on top of providing income and a panic drop satellites also block abduction missions in that country. So a continent bonus is mostly safe if you get it.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Samovar posted:

Yay, he uses the international voice pack (which I'm still proud of having done work for, cause I'm a dweebus)

Tell me more about this voice pack. How 'complete' is it? Does it automatically assign people voices of the language of their nation?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Chairchucker posted:

Tell me more about this voice pack. How 'complete' is it? Does it automatically assign people voices of the language of their nation?

Well, it's been a wee while since I last interacted with them, but it has full v.a.s for Russian and Polish, and some extra (they weren't complete when I did it, but they may be now) nationalities/English variants. I did full v.a. for Scottish male.

I think it automatically assigns appropriate voice packs? But I cannot recall.

Edit: I do get kinda annoyed in that I don't think I've found a single playthrough which has a soldier with my lines. I'm too lazy to reinstall xcom 2 to hear it myself.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 16, 2021

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Akratic Method posted:

He's made collections on Steam! Don't know how updated they are (were? Has he played recently?) but his page is here: https://steamcommunity.com/id/Beaglerush/myworkshopfiles/?section=collections&appid=268500

Awesome thank you!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FoolyCharged posted:

Yeah. One thing the game doesn't tell you is that on top of providing income and a panic drop satellites also block abduction missions in that country. So a continent bonus is mostly safe if you get it.

Also, you can build more satellites than you have nexus coverage for, despite the fact that anything else with a red message on the build screen is unbuildable. That killed my first run when the game came out.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Torchlighter posted:

He literally just started a new Operators vs Aliens on stream like 2 days ago! So I'm guessing it's up to date.

oh, I only looked at his Youtube channel, so maybe it's just that he doesn't use that so much anymore. Where does he stream, Twitch?

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Akratic Method posted:

oh, I only looked at his Youtube channel, so maybe it's just that he doesn't use that so much anymore. Where does he stream, Twitch?

yeah, on twitch at twitch.tv/BeagsandJam. He streams XCOM 1 Long War as well and I want to say D&D?

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Akratic Method posted:

Yeah, the handle is beagsandjam IIRC.

Edit: beaten to the punch. Usually some bullshit or other kills the run. He also does live tinkering with various moddable games in the genre or genre adjacent.

Splorange fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 19, 2021

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Is he still incredibly jaded and irritable

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
cross posting from musk thread

[gatecrasher]

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Only half cover, explodes when grazed by an ADVENT mag round. It's perfect

Seriously, I had to double take at the background to make sure someone didn't photoshop gatecrasher in

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
it even looks more fake when zoomed out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25ZuKkbHdqM&t=52s

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
You could totally nail all three of them with a single frag from concealment on turn 1

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Bogart posted:

Is he still incredibly jaded and irritable

I've been tuning in on and off, occasionally watching, but yeah, pretty much. Hated Phoenix point with a passion.

Last year he got really sunny.. positively bubbly when supreme commander was briefly a thing.

(Mind you, I think streaming as a living can't be fun and streamers in general must be one bad day from self destruction, so my opinions are worth exactly jack and poo poo.)

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I wish there was some news on XCOM 3.

Iron Crowned posted:

You could totally nail all three of them with a single frag from concealment on turn 1

I like frags to remove cover but I can understand the temptation.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I don't think I can handle playing this game on ironman anymore when I get bugs like having a grenadier captain who is stuck on his starting tile and can't move for the whole mission. Has anyone run into that before?
Best part of it I used the one-time only hypervital module to put him in the mission and he had to spend every turn overwatching at the starting position while everyone else moved on without him.

And same mission I also accidentally hit the button to end turn after only one guy moved instead of rotating the camera, it seems like a terrible choice to not have a confirmation dialog for ending the turn on a game with modes where you can't reload saves. I guess I'm sure there is at least a mod I could install to get around that one.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://steamdb.info/app/268500/history/

https://steamdb.info/app/268500/depots/

The hell is going on with the XCOM 2 steam database? We have a new content depot and a new QA and test branch.

https://steamdb.info/app/882100/history/

Chimera squad has updates under similar names.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I dunno what a depot is

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Super No Vacancy posted:

I dunno what a depot is

In Transport tycoon that's where the little trucks stop to unlead their cargo

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Item Getter posted:

I don't think I can handle playing this game on ironman anymore when I get bugs like having a grenadier captain who is stuck on his starting tile and can't move for the whole mission. Has anyone run into that before?
Best part of it I used the one-time only hypervital module to put him in the mission and he had to spend every turn overwatching at the starting position while everyone else moved on without him.

For the getting stuck on tiles problem, I've had that one before and it's one of the reasons I keep at the console active. Using the command TTC will allow you to move somebody off of a tile that they for some reason can't leave. Sometimes that's enough to allow them to walk again.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Speaking of Phoenix Point, has it improved at all since launch?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Olive Branch posted:

Speaking of Phoenix Point, has it improved at all since launch?

Yes.

Has it improved enough since launch, maybe not so much. But it is better than it was.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Moola posted:

In Transport tycoon that's where the little trucks stop to unlead their cargo

this was a really good answer

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Super No Vacancy posted:

I dunno what a depot is

Directories of files for steam games, such as for DLC, the base game, demos, etc. We called all the XCOM expansions from looking at them.

Branches are various versions of the game, such as the launch, the review build, the age rating, that sort of thing.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Coolguye posted:

this was a really good answer

I could watch those little trucks pottering around for hours :allears:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Hahaha!

I'm playing Enemy Within and have managed to purge the EXALT base and finally had a mission to assault the Alien base.

Spent a little while getting ready for this final push, getting the right units into the right loadout, researching the tech I needed, even accelerating through a couple of months just to get missions where I could get some Meld for my mechs.

Finally invaded the alien base and this isn't the end of the game? I had assumed it was all over at this point! This game.....

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Red Oktober posted:

Hahaha!

I'm playing Enemy Within and have managed to purge the EXALT base and finally had a mission to assault the Alien base.

Spent a little while getting ready for this final push, getting the right units into the right loadout, researching the tech I needed, even accelerating through a couple of months just to get missions where I could get some Meld for my mechs.

Finally invaded the alien base and this isn't the end of the game? I had assumed it was all over at this point! This game.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsCKnxe8hGY

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

StratGoatCom posted:

Directories of files for steam games, such as for DLC, the base game, demos, etc. We called all the XCOM expansions from looking at them.

Branches are various versions of the game, such as the launch, the review build, the age rating, that sort of thing.

TELL ME ABOUT XCOM 3 JAKE I SWEAR TO GOD

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

World War Mammories posted:

It's only really useful for determining stuff to come for games already out, I'm afraid, as XCOM 3 would be under a code name.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

World War Mammories posted:

___________________/

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Right?! Right?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Red Oktober posted:

Hahaha!

If you are playing unmodded, you are probably way ahead of the power curve by now. Now would be an ideal time to invest in a reasonable B- or C-team.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Der Kyhe posted:

If you are playing unmodded, you are probably way ahead of the power curve by now. Now would be an ideal time to invest in a reasonable B- or C-team.

I've honestly been thinking that - I have a great squad of 7 people who are pretty much at the top of their game, good kit and even a few bio-mods in there. But if one of them gets injured they're out for a round and I had a very sticky engagement a few weeks back when my main team had been injured and I faced an event straight after.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Suddenly got the urge to play some War of the Chosen, not having played for a few years now. Are there any "must-have" mods I should absolutely install?

Something that obviously isn't needed, but that I really want is something that adds lots of ridiculous uniforms and soldiers. Can someone recommend something here?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Stop Wasting My Time is a solid QoL mod. Speeds up all the little things (flying gremlin, etc) that normally take up 10-15s here and there.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

marshmallow creep posted:

For the getting stuck on tiles problem, I've had that one before and it's one of the reasons I keep at the console active. Using the command TTC will allow you to move somebody off of a tile that they for some reason can't leave. Sometimes that's enough to allow them to walk again.

Thanks, I might look into that though the "sometimes" part is not very reassuring.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sjonkel posted:

Suddenly got the urge to play some War of the Chosen, not having played for a few years now. Are there any "must-have" mods I should absolutely install?

Something that obviously isn't needed, but that I really want is something that adds lots of ridiculous uniforms and soldiers. Can someone recommend something here?

gotcha again, numeric health values

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
color coded soldier bonds and detailed soldier lists are good too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The squad bit of LW2 was cool. It’d be a lot easier to just assign a prebuilt squad to an assignment rather than deal with the randomly selected ones, then handle any missing members due to tiredness or injury. Also assign agents to multiple ones based on scenario (grenadier is in squad A, but also assigned to fire team ‘gently caress your cover’ with two other grenadiers) It’s probably way more work than what it currently is to set it up but it felt more like a military command that way.