Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

BonoMan posted:

Good advice. I've been gathering boxes for weeks now and we've started to Spark Joy a ton of poo poo out of our house. Luckily we aren't *too* entrenched. For instance both attics are empty.

Another tip, if you need more boxes on the cheap, is hit up a grocery store and ask if they'll save some for you. Answer might be no, but I've had good luck with it when moving. This last time I had the advantage that I actually work in a grocery store, so I could just take some after my shifts, but even before, so long as you ask nicely, I've generally gotten quite a few that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
For babies and new moms especially there was solid research that showed that MMR vaccines decreased symptoms pretty dramatically, more recently you'd gotten the shot the better. That plus adult vaccinations have been a huge relief for me.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Thanks everyone. We found out wifey was pregnant 2 weeks into lockdown, so we spent quarantine hyper vigilant, which kinda sucked for everyone but we don’t have any regrets. It would be lovely now to give into grandparent pressure, only for something bad to happen

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

meanolmrcloud posted:

Thanks everyone. We found out wifey was pregnant 2 weeks into lockdown, so we spent quarantine hyper vigilant, which kinda sucked for everyone but we don’t have any regrets. It would be lovely now to give into grandparent pressure, only for something bad to happen

Personally I'm waiting for community rates to fall below 10/100k and r<1.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Another tip, if you need more boxes on the cheap, is hit up a grocery store and ask if they'll save some for you. Answer might be no, but I've had good luck with it when moving. This last time I had the advantage that I actually work in a grocery store, so I could just take some after my shifts, but even before, so long as you ask nicely, I've generally gotten quite a few that way.

Liquor stores are great for boxes too. Although I guess grocery stores in the US would also have liquor boxes. They’re a good size to put heavy items in and still be comfortable to carry.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Nessa posted:

Liquor stores are great for boxes too. Although I guess grocery stores in the US would also have liquor boxes. They’re a good size to put heavy items in and still be comfortable to carry.

Hardware stores too. If you do any of this I suggest either calling ahead/asking before you need them because many stores throw boxes in a cardboard compactor so they'll need to set them aside for you.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah boxes aren't too much of an issue. Work provides me with tons of good nice sized cardboard boxes. And yeah there's plenty of stores around with boxes (I've moved a lot before in my life so the boxes thing isn't new - but moving with kids and no real way to prep away from the kids... that's the new and anxiety driven part heh).

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

My kid just showed an interest in climbing out of his crib...did you guys put anything around the base when your kids started doing this so he doesn’t inevitably fall on his head when he figures out how to climb out at 2 AM? Or was it just yolo?

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
I've hit the point where I've watched enough Elmo's world to start wondering if Mr Noodle and fam exist in sesame street proper or just Elmo's imagination :thunk:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Have you seen the wish upon a pickle special

That one made me legit laugh

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

nwin posted:

My kid just showed an interest in climbing out of his crib...did you guys put anything around the base when your kids started doing this so he doesn’t inevitably fall on his head when he figures out how to climb out at 2 AM? Or was it just yolo?

Once they start trying to climb out you are supposed to transition them out of the crib.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Another tip, if you need more boxes on the cheap, is hit up a grocery store and ask if they'll save some for you.

Make sure they aren't interested with fruit flies.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

sheri posted:

Once they start trying to climb out you are supposed to transition them out of the crib.

gently caress. Well here’s hoping this was a one off but I’ll see if he repeats over the next few days.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

nwin posted:

For us it was yolo. Then he started doing it more regularly no matter what we did--turned the crib around, he just went over the sides. Disconnected mattress thing from the crib and put directly on floor, he still did it. By that time, he was climbing like a champ and also landing like a ninja. He only ever fell out once. Almost three now and we still haven't managed to find a foolproof and consistent way to get him to stay in bed at all times

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

At what age can you safely put a kid in the upper bunk of a bunk bed

I'm sure the answer lies somewhere between "climbs out of the crib every night" and "kindergarten" but that's a pretty wide spread

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Hadlock posted:

I'm sure the answer lies somewhere between "climbs out of the crib every night" and "kindergarten" but that's a pretty wide spread

That's going to vary so much from kid to kid. Our daughter started using a loft bed when she was four. We have one of those Ikea shelf stairs going up to it, so she didn''t have to navigate the ladder every time.

Our son is 3.5 and I don't see us giving him a loft in the next year. He gets so floppy when he's tired, I wouldn't trust him with it yet.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Soiled Meat
Bunk beds are a practiced thing. Neice slept in a bunk bed for the first time when she was 12 at a vacation thing, rolled off night two, upper bunk was sawed off and tossed on a bonfire night 3.

Personally I would just keep my kid up there and figured they would learn to stop rolling. Laydown a blanket and designate a pillow to be the floor safety pillow, yaknow, around head level. But I am very callous dad who views all accidental injury as a chance to learn.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I had a bunk bed as a kid and there was a... 6? 8? inch safety rail on all four sides, you'd have to physically climb over it to get out

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Hadlock posted:

I wanna say like 6 or 7 is the minimum age I've seen?

Edit: yep. "The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that children under the age of 6 do not use the top bunk of a bunk bed due to safety concerns."

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

DST can go gently caress itself sideways

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Soiled Meat

life is killing me posted:

DST can go gently caress itself sideways

How am I supposed to explain to my child that time is fake twice a year?

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

i tried explaining it, then just said it's a stupid game grownups like to play, which she seemed to get more than anything else i said.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Tom Smykowski posted:

I've hit the point where I've watched enough Elmo's world to start wondering if Mr Noodle and fam exist in sesame street proper or just Elmo's imagination :thunk:

Random factoids - the main Mr Noodle (Bill Irwin) also voices the awesome robot TARS in Interstellar. And was in the music video for “Don’t worry Be Happy” among a bunch of other things (and is a professional clown)

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

How am I supposed to explain to my child that time is fake twice a year?

If I knew the answer to that my 3yo wouldn’t have taken an hour to fall asleep (and this after demanding his back be rubbed) like the old days last year when we still had to sit in his room with him and wait for him to fall asleep before we could walk out

“So uh. Yeah. Time is fake, twice a year. Maybe all year, really. A flat circle. An illusion. But you still have to go to sleep now.”

“That really clears things up, Daddy. I shall fall into slumber presently as you have requested, now that I know time is stupid and not real. Well, as soon as you rub my back for a few fake minutes because my mind and body still think time is real.”

IOW tell your child that time is a flat circle

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

My son has a new disturbing hobby. He finally got a top tooth opposite his two bottom teeth and he just makes eye contact, unblinking and clicks them together over and over staring at you. He'll do this for like 30-40 seconds straight then giggle like he just put on the greatest comedy act ever and scamper off.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

life is killing me posted:

IOW tell your child that time is a flat circle

Time is a cube, good sir

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

nwin posted:

We took the side off (it was designed for this) and placed the change mat and some towels around the open side. first night he fell out of bed twice but we popped him back in. he was fine after that. oh and secured the entire room so if he decided to do some 2am bookcase climbing he didn't murder himself. thankfully I don't think he's much of a night owl.

The little guy (2.5) threw his new shirt in the bin as part of a tantrum this morning while I was trying to get him dressed for day care. loving toddlers man. Yes you have to wear a shirt to go on the bus please stop screaming at me

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
2-year-old developed a fun hobby last night which is to repeatedly bash her skull against the wall with varying intensity to experiment with the sounds. I'm raising either a musician or a rugby player.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

nwin posted:

Transition to toddler bed + a "toddler barrier" thing you can put on the edge of the bed that provides several inches of roll-out-prevention.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Tamarillo posted:

Transition to toddler bed + a "toddler barrier" thing you can put on the edge of the bed that provides several inches of roll-out-prevention.

we used a pool noodle under the sheet on the open edge for the barrier. one of our kids just could not get the hang of not rolling out of bed.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

I just want to sing my kiddo’s praises and brag a bit about her. She sleeps like a champ. Recently she has decided that, when putting her down for the night, it’s totally cool for Papa to go downstairs and let her fall asleep on her own.

I still gotta sing “wheels on the bus” 5 (*precisely* 5) times while rubbing her back. But having an end in sight has been a tremendous quality of life improvement.

Gonna probably burn that all down when #2 comes along any second now.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Dobbs_Head posted:

I just want to sing my kiddo’s praises and brag a bit about her. She sleeps like a champ. Recently she has decided that, when putting her down for the night, it’s totally cool for Papa to go downstairs and let her fall asleep on her own.

I still gotta sing “wheels on the bus” 5 (*precisely* 5) times while rubbing her back. But having an end in sight has been a tremendous quality of life improvement.

Gonna probably burn that all down when #2 comes along any second now.

Ha yeah our #1 was an amazing sleeper. Still is! She was in her crib through the night at 4-5 months. At 2 she'd take herself to bed. Just grab her blanket... tell us g'night and walk to her bed and crawl in. It was GLORIOUS!

#2 has....nuked all of that from orbit. Shittest sleeper of *all time*.

OF.ALL.TIME>

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Good-Natured Filth posted:

:words: about 5yo daughter suddenly disliking daycare.

As a follow-up to this for anyone who is interested. I spoke to her teacher yesterday at drop-off. The boy in question isn't actually "new", but he recently came back to school from a long hiatus after his younger sibling was born, and has been having behavior issues due to transitioning back to daycare from being home + no longer being an only child at 5 years old. The teacher said he is "meaner than he used to be" and tries her best to keep him under control - but understandably, she can't watch him all the time because she has an entire class to manage.

I'm guessing this is overwhelming to my daughter when he is mean to her - I'm pretty sure this is her first experience with a mean kid in her class. Her teacher and I both told her to let her teacher know whenever the boy is mean, and I was explaining to her that she can always tell the boy to go away or walk away herself if he's bothering her. I'm hoping that she slowly gets the hang of it.

She's still crying at drop-off, but she's trying harder to be brave about it which is a positive sign. It's very hard when I can't be there to see it and help her directly.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 17, 2021

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

nwin posted:

We knew this was coming and we have a futon in the basement. I put the mattress in front of her crib when she started to show interest in getting out.

One day husband woke up and went to her room to get her and she wasn’t there. She was in the kitchen eating snacks on the floor with a book.

We have a camera in her room and rewatching the playback was hilarious. She went up and over and landed flat on her back on the mattress and looked very stunned. Then she got up and did the IM FREEEEE run out of the room.

Transitioned to toddler bed that day by taking the front of the crib off (convertible bed). Left the futon mattress there. She rolled out of bed a few times but now she gets it. This was months ago and the futon mattress is still down because when she has the occasional bad nights I will go in and sleep with her.

Sometimes she also just wants to nap on the futon mattress. She will start out in bed and for whatever reason she just wants to spread out and take a nap on a massive bed.

We put a gate up so she can’t leave the room and a door buddy so she can’t lock us out. She doesn’t try to climb over the gate at all. Eventually with more potty training we will move the gate into the hallway so she can access the bathroom and also our room.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My toddler shares a room with his older brother who has one of those semi-loft beds. When it was time to transition out of the crib, I just put his crib mattress under his other brother's bed for an :effort: bunk bed. We'll probably get a real bunk bed when he outgrows the crib mattress.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

nwin posted:

gently caress. Well here’s hoping this was a one off but I’ll see if he repeats over the next few days.
Yeah if it’s a regular thing then kiddo will be like “Challenge accepted”, I’m pretty sure when we took the guards off he only fell out 2-3 times (and slept on the floor...) and it wasn’t a big deal.

I’m reminded last December I went into babies’ room to get him from his nap, when there he is on the floor like “what’s up?” and me thinking HOW DID YOU DO THAT WITHOUT MAKING A NOISE.

Then there’s this morning... me and the two boys in the living room when youngest starts making heaving sounds, he’s halfway swallowing his loving dummy/pacifier whole. So I swoop over and quickly and carefully jam my fingers in his mouth to extract the tasty snack, and he does a little milky puke on the sofa and cries the whole morning because no more dummy...

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
An open letter, to my son:

Please stop making GBS threads in the bath.

Love, Daddy.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

My 3yo has discovered Gangnam Style and seems determined to become a measurable percentage of it's 45 billion views.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Our kiddo had a rough day at daycare today. First he gets caught between another kid and a door that kid was holding open and bumps his head on the door frame. Then either before or after nap time he was jumping on his cot, as one does, and when his teacher told him to get down he decided the best way to get down was to fall on his face and make his nose bleed (figure we’d know by now if it was broken). On top of all this he had no nap, and he fell asleep on the way home. He seemed no worse for the wear really, didn’t seem like his nose bothered him. He’s still reeling from DST but we had a perfect opportunity with the nap-less kid to put him to bed early.

Oh and he loving drew all over himself with a marker because he’s a nut case.

Organic Lube User posted:

My 3yo has discovered Gangnam Style and seems determined to become a measurable percentage of it's 45 billion views.

My condolences. A single listen to that song is enough to drive almost anyone crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Just gave our 4.5MO his first taste of solids. (Well, watered-down mashed sweet potato.) We used a silicon spoon with a thick handle, and after a few spoonfuls he grabbed the spoon out of my partner's hand and stuck it in his own mouth. :3: