Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Alkydere posted:

I'm just happy there's Retirement homes now. Make kid/senior homes with just a few untrained workers manning the shops.

Haven't paid for the new DLC yet, what do the retirement homes do, are they just denser/higher comfort than apartments?
Is there anything in the DLC that's changes up the game play? School spires would make my kindergarden domes nicer, but otherwise I'm not seeing much new gameplay in it.

I am super psyched for a new expansion though and this shows this game and it's genre style may have a future. Firing up a new game now to try the tourism changes, of all the games I've played I've never focused on tourism before, so that's exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
I'm happy about Surviving Mars still receiving love.

Surviving the Aftermath just doesn't click with me. Sure, Mars still has it's flaws, too, but they are patched over nicely enough.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

Wipfmetz posted:

I'm happy about Surviving Mars still receiving love.

Surviving the Aftermath just doesn't click with me. Sure, Mars still has it's flaws, too, but they are patched over nicely enough.

I enjoy Surviving the Aftermath, but get far enough in the game and the overworld take forever to do anything and it's a repetitive slog. It's also weirdly unstable still.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

BitterAvatar posted:

I enjoy Surviving the Aftermath, but get far enough in the game and the overworld take forever to do anything and it's a repetitive slog. It's also weirdly unstable still.
I'm okay with the core gameplay loop (the building of your settlement), but I could do without the overworld. I liked SurvivingMars with it's abstract overworld.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 16, 2021

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Do we know if there’s any achievements or mysteries coming in this patch? I want to replay it with the new content, but need an actual goal I haven’t already done.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Haven't paid for the new DLC yet, what do the retirement homes do, are they just denser/higher comfort than apartments?
Is there anything in the DLC that's changes up the game play? School spires would make my kindergarden domes nicer, but otherwise I'm not seeing much new gameplay in it.

I am super psyched for a new expansion though and this shows this game and it's genre style may have a future. Firing up a new game now to try the tourism changes, of all the games I've played I've never focused on tourism before, so that's exciting.

The building update was a free update. It added a retirement center which is, as you said, just a denser/higher comfort building to put your old folks into somewhere away from where the work is happening. Other buildings included a Large Nursery, and a School spire. In short a perfect mix to make child/senior domes.

I mean unless you just want to regularly execute the old in a suffocation dome for soylent green.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Alkydere posted:

The building update was a free update. It added a retirement center which is, as you said, just a denser/higher comfort building to put your old folks into somewhere away from where the work is happening. Other buildings included a Large Nursery, and a School spire. In short a perfect mix to make child/senior domes.

I mean unless you just want to regularly execute the old in a suffocation dome for soylent green.
No the tourism stuff was free (Hotels and amusement park), the other buildings are DLC. And yeah it's basically the old people dome DLC. Even including daytime television!

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Talkie Toaster posted:

Do we know if there’s any achievements or mysteries coming in this patch? I want to replay it with the new content, but need an actual goal I haven’t already done.

Doesn't look like it. The only new 'goal' I can see would be build a colony powered by Tourism instead of just strip mining mars of rare earths.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is there a mod for helping with power lines & water pipes? I am new to playing Surviving Mars, and would rather just not have to deal with that aspect of the game, it's the one thing I always hate about base building / city management sims.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I said come in! posted:

Is there a mod for helping with power lines & water pipes? I am new to playing Surviving Mars, and would rather just not have to deal with that aspect of the game, it's the one thing I always hate about base building / city management sims.

The "Mod" was players bitched up a storm and now they're not less poo poo.

Basically non-dome buildings will now auto-connect power lines to each other so you only have to drag a single power cable out to an array of solar panels or windmills.

Life Support pipes have to be connected where the building has space for a pipe connection. Domes and Tunnels need their powers connected there.

Disasters will damage power lines and pipes, causing breaks that cost power or O2/H2O until fixed. So it's a good idea to avoid going overboard and be conservative early on. Also always build nice buffers of batteries and O2/H2O tanks. Connections over long distances or height changes should be done via tunnels. Tunnels have no maintenance cost and are therefore literally invincible to anything short of the player deleting them.

Depending on your map you can get Breakthrough technologies that give the player self-repairing pipes/cables that never break, even when taking a meteorite strike.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Alkydere posted:

The "Mod" was players bitched up a storm and now they're not less poo poo.
I still remember the release version when pipes/cables just randomly sprouted leaks all the time even without being hit by a meteor. It was so bad.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i always just build dome clusters and complexes in self contained groups without pipes and cables going all over the map

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013
I played a round with brazil and it has been a mess. I am so rusty at this game. anyone tried to tourist stuff yet?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

stopgap1 posted:

I played a round with brazil and it has been a mess. I am so rusty at this game. anyone tried to tourist stuff yet?

I need to get back myself but dealing with life, work, my own personal demons/brainworms I haven't gotten around to it.

Though...how are you having trouble as Brazil? They're literally King Midas the Sponsor? Just go flatten a mountainside for cash, then haul everything in by rocket or their unique over-sized cargo pods.

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013

Alkydere posted:

I need to get back myself but dealing with life, work, my own personal demons/brainworms I haven't gotten around to it.

Though...how are you having trouble as Brazil? They're literally King Midas the Sponsor? Just go flatten a mountainside for cash, then haul everything in by rocket or their unique over-sized cargo pods.

I always start running into issues with supply chains. I got a breakthrough that allowed me to run extractors without people and it kinda messed me up. It through off my tempo and then I had a group of church of ark psychos join up (mistakes where made.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

stopgap1 posted:

I always start running into issues with supply chains. I got a breakthrough that allowed me to run extractors without people and it kinda messed me up. It through off my tempo and then I had a group of church of ark psychos join up (mistakes where made.
When you start having map-wide supply chain issues start blitzing down the robotics tree. A couple of transports with auto gather is good, but it's shuttles that really fix everything.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Just gotta vent here in the proper thread but gently caress the Project Six mystery, having no actual way to stop suicide drones from insta-wrecking your external buildings ad nauseum while your idiot loving space cops can't deal with the ones wrecking your 100% soil quality farms across 10 loving quest anomalies sucks rear end.

Anyway man it's so satisfying watching the map go green. Even if I'm playing ez mode Brazil, I enjoy the chillness of it all. Couple of things I noticed in this latest replay:

1. Lakes seem to be unnecessary for the most part unless you want to boost an area to 100% soil quality quickly for external farms. I ended up making a lot of lakes for very little gain, whoops. They look rather nice though.

2. As it turns out, a lot of behavioral glitches for university students I'm experiencing might be because building universities in a children/school dome is actually a mistake? At least, I'm seeing no-spec citizens path much better when the university is in the same dome as their residence.

3. No need to keep Stirling Generators inside domes as open ones will always accrue dust regardless of location.

4. That "service slice" thing is legit; a Grocer, Diner, and Infirmary are pretty much all you need for a long while. Add a big park.

5. Vistas by residential domes are nice but not really a necessity; a vista-less residential dome I was running still had fantastic comfort for everyone just because of good service coverage.

I feel compelled to reroll again now that I've relearned the game. Just need to track down that mod that apparently points out the specific point on a building that causes inefficiency when overlapping with other buildings of its ilk, ie. moisture evaporators or whatever you call them.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 23, 2021

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

toasterwarrior posted:

Just gotta vent here in the proper thread but gently caress the Project Six mystery, having no actual way to stop suicide drones from insta-wrecking your external buildings ad nauseum while your idiot loving space cops can't deal with the ones wrecking your 100% soil quality farms across 10 loving quest anomalies sucks rear end.

Anyway man it's so satisfying watching the map go green. Even if I'm playing ez mode Brazil, I enjoy the chillness of it all. Couple of things I noticed in this latest replay:

1. Lakes seem to be unnecessary for the most part unless you want to boost an area to 100% soil quality quickly for external farms. I ended up making a lot of lakes for very little gain, whoops. They look rather nice though.

2. As it turns out, a lot of behavioral glitches for university students I'm experiencing might be because building universities in a children/school dome is actually a mistake? At least, I'm seeing no-spec citizens path much better when the university is in the same dome as their residence.

4. That "service slice" thing is legit; a Grocer, Diner, and Infirmary are pretty much all you need for a long while. Add a big park.

I feel compelled to reroll again now that I've relearned the game. Just need to track down that mod that apparently points out the specific point on a building that causes inefficiency when overlapping with other buildings of its ilk, ie. moisture evaporators or whatever you call them.

1. You need lakes to raise the water level of wars, each lake contributes a small amount to it each sol. You don't need to go crazy, but you need a decent number of them. I tend to just slap a water pump and several huge lakes off in a corner of the map I'm not using.

2. Correct, you need a kid dome with schools/playground and nurseries THEN you also need a college dome that they move to, college is for people that have entered the workforce. My college domes allow only non-specialized workers that are the young adult and adult ages, can't waste the college slot and time on middle aged. Luckily they can work their own service buildings at that point, so the college dome can be largely stand alone.

4. The standard slice also leaves one hex open, I make sure it's on the edge so I can use it for connectors to other domes. If I don't need it becomes a small park.

Re-rolling is the best part of this game. Unlike most city builders, every game of surviving mars is incredibly different

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It felt like water had the most special projects associated with it, I dunno. Ice asteroids and nuking the polar caps had some impressive gains, but in terms of incremental gain I had like 5 huge lakes that cost a lot of water but still didn't really give that much per sol combined.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
When I started making Mars green I just built lakes to add water to the map for the scenery. I wish I could use landscaping to make some rivers or big lakes later on just so I can build a dome next to a nice view.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Just bought this new DLC and "Project Laika".

Anything noticeable about project laika? Any new traps to consider?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Wipfmetz posted:

Just bought this new DLC and "Project Laika".

Anything noticeable about project laika? Any new traps to consider?

Project Laika does two things:
-"Pets" (random animals) in the domes. These don't do anything besides provide eye candy to the player. Oh look, someone's pet penguin is waddling around!
-Provides Martian animal farms. There's indoor and outdoor ones, with the latter having larger crops. If you can afford the expensive life support requirements the farms are powerful mainly because their ideal worker is "untrained". The more expensive cattle you chose in terms of O2/H2O and time requirement the better your return on investment are. The only trap is Vegans suffer a morale loss if they're in the same dome as an indoor animal farm.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Ranches are really good if you are playing with random techs, because you get another guaranteed food production building from the start that does not have the awful worker efficiency that a hydroponics farm does. They have saved me in quite a few random tech runs.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Alkydere posted:

Project Laika does two things:
-"Pets" (random animals) in the domes. These don't do anything besides provide eye candy to the player. Oh look, someone's pet penguin is waddling around!
-Provides Martian animal farms. There's indoor and outdoor ones, with the latter having larger crops. If you can afford the expensive life support requirements the farms are powerful mainly because their ideal worker is "untrained". The more expensive cattle you chose in terms of O2/H2O and time requirement the better your return on investment are. The only trap is Vegans suffer a morale loss if they're in the same dome as an indoor animal farm.

Do vegans not care if an outdoor ranch is being worked by the same dome? If not, then vegans working outdoor ranches to power an all-meat colony seems like a weird quirk.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Talkie Toaster posted:

Do vegans not care if an outdoor ranch is being worked by the same dome? If not, then vegans working outdoor ranches to power an all-meat colony seems like a weird quirk.
I don't know if they care about outdoor ranches within the dome's influence but they do also refuse to work in ranches.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The idea of being a vegan on mars is bizzare, given that the entire point of going there is to loving terraform the place.

You are living in an inherently domesticated biosphere because the alternative is that there isn't one and if I turn off the magnetic satellites everyone will die.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You’re still killing an animal for food, I don’t see why it’d be that crazy?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Talkie Toaster posted:

Do vegans not care if an outdoor ranch is being worked by the same dome?

vegans care if they live in a dome with or near a ranch. vegans get a malus for this, but they get a boost for living near a farm (the big all-slice one). you can ignore vegan complaints if it is balanced by a farm

other than that vegans dont care. technically vegans on mars eat meat because the game doesn't track the provenance of food

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 24, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

The idea of being a vegan on mars is bizzare, given that the entire point of going there is to loving terraform the place.

You are living in an inherently domesticated biosphere because the alternative is that there isn't one and if I turn off the magnetic satellites everyone will die.

It's the cruelty/health vegans that would do this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It still seems odd because on earth life is just there, if sheep get eaten by wolves instead of humans then fair enough, there's not much you can do about that. But specifically going to mars to make more sheep to be eaten by more wolves, because you want to build a new biosphere to sustain human life, seems like it would fall under the umbrella of animal cruelty for human benefit?

Like I know it's a game and obviously it doesn't matter but it's still weird if you think about it for more than a minute. Now let me just activate the elderly recycling dome.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OwlFancier posted:

It still seems odd because on earth life is just there, if sheep get eaten by wolves instead of humans then fair enough, there's not much you can do about that. But specifically going to mars to make more sheep to be eaten by more wolves, because you want to build a new biosphere to sustain human life, seems like it would fall under the umbrella of animal cruelty for human benefit?

Like I know it's a game and obviously it doesn't matter but it's still weird if you think about it for more than a minute. Now let me just activate the elderly recycling dome.
More places for deer to run around is good for the deer, and creating a functional ecosystem for the deer to run around in requires deer limiters. Bar extensive and kinda weird genetic engineering the best deer limiters are carnivores and parasites. You can think all of this while also feeling that slaughtering sentient beings just to keep your own human meat shell running is immoral.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 25, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Eveer find a spot so nice early on you don't want to slap a small dome there because it feels like a waste?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 26, 2021

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

You can salvage a dome and remove it, you just need to get rid of everything inside first.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I got the metatron event and jesus christ my loving eyes

Strabo4 posted:

You can salvage a dome and remove it, you just need to get rid of everything inside first.
Yeah but my pipes and stuff will be all set up and ugh.

I really wish there was some non-shuttle way to move people around, there's no other tech that really feels quite so mandatory.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Splicer posted:

I got the metatron event and jesus christ my loving eyes

Yeah but my pipes and stuff will be all set up and ugh.

I really wish there was some non-shuttle way to move people around, there's no other tech that really feels quite so mandatory.

The non shuttle way is to chain domes. Unfortunately tunnels still get in the way. Now that the RC safari is a thing maybe it can be modded?

Edit: Your current mod option would be this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1572847416

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 30, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hobbesmaster posted:

The non shuttle way is to chain domes. Unfortunately tunnels still get in the way. Now that the RC safari is a thing maybe it can be modded?

Edit: Your current mod option would be this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1572847416
Yeah a usually have three or more domes chained together, but when setting up a new dome far away from the existing domes you're either dropping a rocket ship of fresh colonists there or best case scenario playing silly buggers with planetary anomalies. I'd like to be able to fill a rover full of fuel and oxygen and truck some guys from the full domes to the new dome. Or shove a bunch of them in a rocket.

Anyway I wanted to say I'm really liking the new tourism mechanics, they're a much more complete and integrated feeling part of the game now. I like making tour routes to show off my stuff :3:

minema
May 31, 2011
I was pootling along nicely with my first playthrough, definitely making mistakes but expanding slowly and carefully and all was well. I thought I'd turned off mysteries and started somewhere with no dust or cold waves since I just wanted to get to grips with how to play first, so when an event to investigate a strange structure came up I thought it was just like the occasional decisions that come up about the colony - even when I unearthed a sphere I assumed it was just going to be some free resources or something.

Anyway obviously they were hostile Ice Age Maker things, colony had a massive doomspiral started by the power losses where 90 colonists died or left and I had to just down 3 domes and herd everyone into the remaining dome. Managed to research the traps eventually but didn't have the resources needed to build them and by that point I was in a full on Cold Wave. I imported resources with my remaining funding but it wasn't enough so I was begging rivals and desperately researching extra funding. I even triggered a meteor shower for research anomalies to help. I finally managed to trap all 15(!!) spheres and now everything seems so easy with the billions of dollars from the rare metals and all my powered down infrastructure ready to be woken up again!

I think without the blue sun bonus of buying more applicants I'd have been sunk but it was a very near run thing.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Surviving Mars desperately needs trains.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Demiurge4 posted:

Surviving Mars desperately needs trains.
I know. Even just single line dome-to-dome trams that work like tunnels that can only be used for rehousing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Splicer posted:

I know. Even just single line dome-to-dome trams that work like tunnels that can only be used for rehousing.

gently caress no, my space trains better carry cargo.

There's even a need for them, late game; once you have large amounts of bulk cargo to move, you need a LOT of drones. Fixed route bulk transport would fill a definite niche and allow industries to be concentrated in different areas.