Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/broseph_stalin/status/1371795608600711168?s=20

lol yeah this party is so hosed. It's probably for the best.

e: In 1983 a Tory prime minister solidified their power over a woefully inept social democratic opposition by riding a wave of jingoistic post-crisis populism. Huh.

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Rumda posted:

This almost feels like you are saying that trans women are only valid if we have or want to have surgery

The trans women who want it I meant.

loving do not accuse me of all people of being a TERF.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It's a really interesting litmus test for where the 2019 Labour -> Brexit Party voters will go. Do they revert to Labour or will they actually cross the Rubicon and vote Tory?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jedit posted:

This is the context needed to interpret Owl's numbers from earlier. It could have been the case that people were exiting and leaving the GIC referral lists at roughly the same rate, meaning that 5 years and change was just how long the process takes. But knowing that they are not, the numbers become indicative of a system that is either starved of support or being purposefully obstructive (if not both).

I think you are confusing me with someone else because I do not know numbers.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

OwlFancier posted:

I bet you know the funny numbers.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Numbers I know: the funny sex number, the weed number, the bad Nazi number, my parents' landline number that they haven't had since 2003.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

therattle posted:

I am now wise enough to generally avoid comments sections. Very little good can come from them!

A forum is just a big comments section with no articles though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

peanut- posted:

It's a really interesting litmus test for where the 2019 Labour -> Brexit Party voters will go. Do they revert to Labour or will they actually cross the Rubicon and vote Tory?

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1371802987199365127?s=21

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1371805025866022912

Seem's like an excellent choice, Keith

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Borrovan posted:

That will have been an agreed apology drafted by solicitors. Ash's solicitors probably produced the first draft & then there will have been some back-and-forth with amendments.
Oh I'm sure, the point was more that if she had written it, it would have been unreadable poo poo, like everything else she writes.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
A minor example of the general sloppiness and decline of the BBC's reporting and fact-checking; in today's story about the death of actor Yaphet Kotto, they claimed - three times! - that he played the Alien in the film Alien. I mean, it's only an incredibly successful and influential film by one of the world's most acclaimed directors, so who could be expected to care about some minor detail about THE ACTUAL ALIEN?

The story's since been edited - without any mention of doing so, of course. :rolleyes:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Payndz posted:

A minor example of the general sloppiness and decline of the BBC's reporting and fact-checking; in today's story about the death of actor Yaphet Kotto, they claimed - three times! - that he played the Alien in the film Alien. I mean, it's only an incredibly successful and influential film by one of the world's most acclaimed directors, so who could be expected to care about some minor detail about THE ACTUAL ALIEN?

The story's since been edited - without any mention of doing so, of course. :rolleyes:

huh, wonder why they got Yaphet Kotto and Bolaji Badejo mixed up

:thunk:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

lol the worst of both worlds

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Quite glad that I didn't vote for a PCC during CLP nominations on the basis that PCCs are poo poo.

I think there was a general idea of "who the gently caress are any of these people?"

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Love how after what happened to Sarah Everard the government is going to use it as an excuse to crack down on personal freedoms while doing nothing or very little to tackle the actual problem.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Even better they're going to put sober police officers in clubs who certainly won't abuse this fact.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Even better they're going to put sober police officers in clubs who certainly won't abuse this fact.

Bold assumption that the undercover cops are going to be sober.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Article by Diane Abbott on Labour abstaining on human rights issues (or, rather, Starmer insisting on abstentions.)

https://labourlist.org/2021/03/labour-needs-to-think-about-the-merit-of-any-legislation-not-the-red-wall/

Not sure the public is that horrified to be honest, not now the cops have hitched the vigil to the BLM, XR and anti-statues-of-appalling-racists/genocidists/slaver-protests.

The gammons are going to gammon but I don't think its healthy to assume the country is that bad tbh. It's pretty poo poo but hivemind of villainy just feels like we're trying to make ourselves out to be special. We're not unique, there's people with our politics everywhere. We know that if everyone voted this country would be very different. The bad guys are and will always be the loudest by virtue of them being the bad guys. They're extremely energised and want everyone to know their opinions. They want to dominate so they dominate the narrative and the airwaves.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Gonzo McFee posted:

Mind when that policewoman got a concussion and there was all that talk about Protester violence and then it turned out someone filmed it and they rode their horse into a traffic light?

It's the logic of felony murder in the US but dumber.

Flayer posted:

Love how after what happened to Sarah Everard the government is going to use it as an excuse to crack down on personal freedoms while doing nothing or very little to tackle the actual problem.

It's almost as if the government doesn't give a poo poo about the plebs :iiam:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Regarde Aduck posted:

The gammons are going to gammon but I don't think its healthy to assume the country is that bad tbh. It's pretty poo poo but hivemind of villainy just feels like we're trying to make ourselves out to be special. We're not unique, there's people with our politics everywhere. We know that if everyone voted this country would be very different. The bad guys are and will always be the loudest by virtue of them being the bad guys. They're extremely energised and want everyone to know their opinions. They want to dominate so they dominate the narrative and the airwaves.

I hope you're right!

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I assume the actual plan is

1. Say that undercover cops will patrol nightclubs
2. Do nothing
3. Say that undercover cops are patrolling nightclubs
4. Con 45% (+2)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

peanut- posted:

I assume the actual plan is

1. Say that undercover cops will patrol nightclubs
2. Do nothing
3. Say that undercover cops are patrolling nightclubs
4. Con 45% (+2)

And lose the opportunity for a massive spike in drug arrests (evidence optional)? Seriously?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Regarde Aduck posted:

We know that if everyone voted this country would be very different.

If you got a free cup of tea and a biscuit after voting it would do wonders for turnout.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

sebzilla posted:

If you got a free cup of tea and a biscuit after voting it would do wonders for turnout.

Australia has mandatory voting and ~90% turnout but they still elect cunts, why would the UK be any different?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
We should give people a free chocolate orange after voting, to ensure only the correct people are encouraged to vote.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

I thought it was you who posted the numbers about the GIC waiting list.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Re: Julie Burchill admitting she is a racist, horrible piece of poo poo. She says sorry for calling Ash an islamist. But Ash is a muslim, so what does islamist mean in that context?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jedit posted:

No, I can't remember who posted the initial numbers but it wasn't me.

bessantj posted:

Re: Julie Burchill admitting she is a racist, horrible piece of poo poo. She says sorry for calling Ash an islamist. But Ash is a muslim, so what does islamist mean in that context?

I think technically it means political islam, but usually in the bad "is a theocratic rear end in a top hat" kind and usually with the implication that you like blowing people up.

I'm not sure if there is an equivalent christianity focused term, but I guess it's like if you hear someone described as a christian fundamentalist, you probably don't get a favorable concept of their politics out of it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 16, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

bessantj posted:

Islamism is the political application of Islam. It's a morally neutral term (that is often used as a pejorative by racists), but Ash is pretty open about the fact that her religion isn't a major influence on her politics.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

e: better answer above

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

sinky posted:

Australia has mandatory voting and ~90% turnout but they still elect cunts, why would the UK be any different?

Probably wouldn't but I want a loving bourbon without being expected to literally bleed into a bag for it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Regarde Aduck posted:

The gammons are going to gammon but I don't think its healthy to assume the country is that bad tbh.

Is it healthier to assume this isn't just exclusive to this country but is true as a generalisation about our entire species?

Asking for a friend

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

You're not supposed to drink after giving blood :colbert:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jedit posted:

Wasn't that Necrothatcher?

OwlFancier posted:

I think technically it means political islam, but usually in the bad "is a theocratic rear end in a top hat" kind and usually with the implication that you like blowing people up.

I'm not sure if there is an equivalent christianity focused term, but I guess it's like if you hear someone described as a christian fundamentalist, you probably don't get a favorable concept of their politics out of it.

Darth Walrus posted:

Islamism is the political application of Islam. It's a morally neutral term (that is often used as a pejorative by racists), but Ash is pretty open about the fact that her religion isn't a major influence on her politics.

Oh of course, can't forget the terrorist angle. Thanks for the info.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Borrovan posted:

goes to your head quicker

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
https://twitter.com/LadPolitics/status/1371813589883949064?s=19

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/roadsidemum/status/1371820186337173507?s=21

Charming, well-made, educational, and short. Give it a watch.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

:sickos:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Up the NIPs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Borrovan posted:

Years ago I went to a rave at Blue Mountain in Bristol after giving blood. 2 hours later and 2 pints of dragon stout and a couple of bumps of mandy and A Good Time was had.