Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

boop the snoot posted:

You would have to upend the entire real estate market and change the entire industry and lmao we can’t even get healthcare

Yeah, having some "properties on the side" is literally the next step of every single person I know who has more than enough disposable income.

Like every lawyer and big-tech sector job holder I am friends with IRL has at least 1-2 rental properties. Their mindset is literally "once you have enough income to get your retirement savings sorted and can cover your mortgage payment then its time to buy another property to start earning with".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

shame on an IGA posted:

The answer is ruinously punitive vacancy taxes to drive rents down to a level that supports full occupancy

It would work I guess. How do you propose to get ANY level of government to apply such laws/mandates though? We can't get Bezos/Musk to pay for their literal billions.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

ElMaligno posted:

Frankly the only good thing the mil has is the Healthcare and education benefits.

The pay loving sucks, but at least you will not bankrupt yourself by a medical injury. You do that by getting a Charger.

*Camaro

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Maybe flag officiers should form an Union.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

For single soldiers, yes. Chargers if you've already started your family. Back to Camaros for divorcees.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ASAPI posted:

It would work I guess. How do you propose to get ANY level of government to apply such laws/mandates though? We can't get Bezos/Musk to pay for their literal billions.

Real estate brokers are the axis of power in every local government and brokers are bloodless sociopaths who work on commission, convince them that forcing absentee landlords to sell their vacant turds means more deals which means more deals for them to take cuts of. They'll handle the rest.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ElMaligno posted:

Maybe flag officiers should form an Union.

A confederacy seems more likely

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

A confederacy seems more likely

That would make Sherman a Union-buster, which he most assuredly was not :dadjoke:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

piL posted:

I don't want to give them more money, but I do suspect "providing no incentive to show initiative or perform above peers for a decade" is one of those things nobody in their right mind would design intentionally but emerges because of a combination of factors unique to the military.

I also can't think of a meaningful way to do it that wouldn't require a huge increase of pay, as I suspect the qualitative difference between 199,000 and 220,000 is nowhere near the difference between 50,000 and 71,000. Is the juice worth the squeeze? Maybe ensuring there are incentives and paths for O-6 through O-8 to show and be rewarded for initiative would be better and let the three and four stars mostly spin plates.

Edit:

Also this, at least not directly. I don't think more pay is demonstrated to help here, especially since it would be tied to long term improvements post serving in these positions, but it does bring to light a potential contributing factor: what incentives are provided to flag officers to actually try and solve the issues that do cause the best and the brightest to leave? Can love of country or congressional mandate provide motivation to overcome beauracracy and institutional inertia? I'd wager no.

I'd argue that by the fact that they're still in and at the top of the pyramid after 30 years, they are not going to understand those issues much less try to solve them.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'd argue that by the fact that they're still in and at the top of the pyramid after 30 years, they are not going to understand those issues much less try to solve them.

Good point.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
Who was the 4 star AF general that was fired from is college president job at a state school for incompetence after like, 2 years?

Im not sure the skills required of a flag officer transfer as well as the author of that article think they do.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sacrist65 posted:

Who was the 4 star AF general that was fired from is college president job at a state school for incompetence after like, 2 years?

Im not sure the skills required of a flag officer transfer as well as the author of that article think they do.

Certain sectors absolutely love former military and will jerk them off regardless of their incompetency as long as their military career is even some what tangentially related. I do not doubt a flag officers ability to find, at the very least, some sort of mid-management or exec role regardless of competency and regardless of being fired.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Defenestrategy posted:

Certain sectors absolutely love former military and will jerk them off regardless of their incompetency as long as their military career is even some what tangentially related. I do not doubt a flag officers ability to find, at the very least, some sort of mid-management or exec role regardless of competency and regardless of being fired.

And sometimes when you can't find that mid-management or exec role, you just gotta get creative with job opportunities

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Sacrist65 posted:

Foglesong quit before he was fired, but there's probably a few instances of this kind of thing

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

In other current events. Got an appointment for a shot tomorrow, but status of the biden bucks is currently unknown. Where's my money Joe!?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

My stimmy dropped this morning, but was scheduled for tomorrow (because USAA) :)

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1371856007203336194?s=20

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Aiming for a medal of freedom from the next Republican?

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Yikes. Also lol at the performative holster during a podcast recording. He's definitely going to the range after this to do manly things and NOT dress in his wife's clothing while scrolling 4chan for content.

Sacrist65 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 16, 2021

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Sacrist65 posted:

Yikes. Also lol at the performative holster during a podcast recording. He's definitely going to the range after this to do manly things and NOT dress in his wife's clothing while scrolling 4chan for content.

What’s wrong with wanting to feel pretty?

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Hekk posted:

What’s wrong with wanting to feel pretty?

Some guy might do the Ace Ventura scene in 2020.

https://twitter.com/scrowder/status/1334161081212821505

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Can you believe LIBERALS are trying to CANCEL brave comedians and conservatives??

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

maffew buildings posted:

Can you believe LIBERALS are trying to CANCEL brave comedians and conservatives??

One time I Youtubed a TED talk on management and the my algorithm changed to 90% "Ben Shapino/Jordan Peterson OWNS liberal professor with LOGIC" videos.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Sacrist65 posted:

One time I Youtubed a TED talk on management and the my algorithm changed to 90% "Ben Shapino/Jordan Peterson OWNS liberal professor with LOGIC" videos.

Yeah, what is the deal with that? I would think the CHUDs would be "idea adverse".

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I youtubed a few ted talks last night but don't have ben shapiro videos in my feed?

They were about piano, though, not some idiotic ideology of owning da libz.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

ASAPI posted:

Yeah, what is the deal with that? I would think the CHUDs would be "idea adverse".

The Silicon Valley to CHUD pipeline is real.

maffew buildings posted:

Comedians cancelled for the crimes of :checks notes: jerking off at random women and storming the capital.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Handsome Ralph posted:

Comedians cancelled for the crimes of :checks notes: jerking off at random women and storming the capital.

I've had a surprising amount of success when people talk about cancel culture by bringing up the "cancelling" of Lewis CK. Basically rephrasing, "if you were jerking off in the middle of your workplace, what would happen to you?" and they realize that they would be (hopefully!) fired and that god forbid there are consequences for actions! Typically, although not always because some people are fundamentally broken brained, people seem to get that being "cancelled" isn't what they think it is.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Mark Wahlberg was convicted of a hate crime and he isn't cancelled.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Yeah my shitwit father was running his mouth about this sort of thing and calling it reparations. I'm not giving these worthless fucks views but I imagine it's somewhat along those lines.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

PookBear posted:

Mark Wahlberg was convicted of a hate crime and he isn't cancelled.

Mark wahlberg has perpetrated several hate crimes I think you'll find

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Also historically there were a shitload of black owned farms, the decline in the number over time is staggering. So Crowder is both a racist and a dumb loving poo poo.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah, but if he was on one of the planes on 9/11 he totally would have stopped those hijackers.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Mark Wahlberg skipped leg day when preparing for Pain and Gain.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah my shitwit father was running his mouth about this sort of thing and calling it reparations. I'm not giving these worthless fucks views but I imagine it's somewhat along those lines.

It's actually somehow far more racist and worse!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

namely marky mark and the funky bunch, also their "Make my video" game for the sega cd lmao, got a 0/10.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 16, 2021

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

A Bad Poster posted:

Yeah, but if he was on one of the planes on 9/11 he totally would have stopped those hijackers.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

lmao

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

:lol: I knew he said the whole "I would have stopped 9/11" but the first class thing is new and it is very :discourse:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

seriously loving E.T. got reviewed better than a 0/10, imagine having a worse game than E.T.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Flying_Crab posted:

Also historically there were a shitload of black owned farms, the decline in the number over time is staggering. So Crowder is both a racist and a dumb loving poo poo.

I couldn't watch the video, knowing it would infuriate me. The disappearance of black farmers is one of the great tragi-crimes of the whole late american capital era.