Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

fun hater posted:

how could you see that exchange between an adult and a "teen" and think its a real conversation that happened. how melted is your brain that you really think teens talk like that

Yeah, it's what gets me about it. Once every few weeks or so someone posts a dm thing like this, and no matter how outlandish or fake sounding it does, I get to "enjoy" reams of tweets of people freaking the gently caress out about it and threatening to call the teen's future manager for a whole evening, sometimes whole days. And seeing Sarah Z go "I don't know, this smells like bullshit. Why are you making pins about this." is something I wish I had seen let's say, 5 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Joe liked the original JLA too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kunster posted:

Yeah, it's what gets me about it. Once every few weeks or so someone posts a dm thing like this, and no matter how outlandish or fake sounding it does, I get to "enjoy" reams of tweets of people freaking the gently caress out about it and threatening to call the teen's future manager for a whole evening, sometimes whole days. And seeing Sarah Z go "I don't know, this smells like bullshit. Why are you making pins about this." is something I wish I had seen let's say, 5 years ago.

For some reason a lot of people just forgot entirely about trolling. I don't feel like it's just 15 year olds being on the internet and not being able to recognize people being facetious but fairly sure they're adults falling for stuff two steps away from Ligma.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I think people thought about all of those tumblr posts and went "Ah, I can't be like this! Surely I'm smarter than all of these children" and end up angrily telling me about Tide Pods or whatever.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
its because now they are the old losers who are mad about "kids these days" but somehow in an even more lameass way possible: hyper-niche fandom sexual politics. because they share overlapping space with a younger group of people (and instead of handling it like normal people) who might have once asked them or might hypothetically ask them to tone down being so loving weird, they've opted to write elaborate fanfic about their perfect intellectual equal for them to brutally own for online points: a 13 year old.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Jimbot posted:

Zack Snyder read all of the Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen comics as a kid and never forgave him for all the grief he put Superman through.
That's the series that Jack Kirby eventually took over and introduced the New Gods within its pages. A hugely important and influential book. Its just a spiteful moment imo, I don't even care about Jimmy Olsen that much but I remember him from the cartoons and the TV shows and it immediately put a bad taste in my mouth to see a glorified extra claim his name only to die a second later.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

More like Hack Snyder

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jamie Faith posted:

What's the difference between the 'normal' version and the ultimate edition?
I came out of BvS hating it due to the dogshit editing and found the ultimate edition to be pretty awesome. It flowed much better and didn’t feel like someone forgot to add scenes.

It’s my favorite of the Snyder hero flicks and what’s got me excited for JL.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

me when i see a child on the internet about to post:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Joe liked the original JLA too.

He walked back on that, mentions it in the video. At first he gave it a score of 7 cause he was drunk with friends. Then once they sobered up he lowered it to a 4.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i missed when it would have actually happened but didn't a mod here resign in disgrace after harassing some kid on twitter who had some dumb takes? it's like, one of those forums legends I'm not sure actually happened

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 16, 2021

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

me when the child calls me an old binch:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CYBEReris posted:

i missed when it actually happened but didn't a mod here resign in disgrace after harassing some kid on twitter who had some dumb takes? it's like, one of those forums legends I'm not sure actually happened

Yes. He went after the kid on twitter, as I recall. I don’t remember his name, but he was a prominent poster people recognized by name. I remember his other big thing was that he was open to being taught why ironic racism was unacceptable and eventually changed his mind and stopped using slurs.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The kid was 15 and was bullied of twitter iirc.

EDIT: the poster’s name was something like Rudah? Ruder?

EDIT: Abe. Thank you. Maybe the ironic racism guy was someone different.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
its was abe lol

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
zutara this, kataang that. primo atla ship is zuko/sokka and it's not even close

that being said, the least you can do as a grown-rear end adult in multigenerational fandom spaces is tag your smut and not get defensive about it. just block the middle-schoolers

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I never read the sequel comics, does Sokka get Boomerang or Space Sword back as god intended?

Also I didn't see this posted but it seems relevant: Curio/theymersophie did another video in their Monster Men series, Superheros as Monsters. (Mild mention of Snyder but more specifically focused on comics and superhero movies in general.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVDYjZhf9yc

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Everyone's saying Zutara this, and Kataang that, but nobody's saying worship this, and Jericho that!

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99NA0m6FZRA

quote:

He may have won Witch Weekly's Most Charming Smile and have lots of best-selling books, but there are some not-so-charming personality traits behind that grin. Gilderoy Lockhart shows many of the traits of narcissistic personality disorder.
Licensed therapist Jonathan Decker and filmmaker Alan Seawright take a close look at Kenneth Branagh's portrayal of this Harry Potter villain we all love to hate. When we're not being charmed by his smiles and winks.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Jimmy olsen getting domed in the first ten minutes of beavis for being a cia freak owns incredibly hard, hth

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Nuns with Guns posted:

I never read the sequel comics, does Sokka get Boomerang or Space Sword back as god intended?

Also I didn't see this posted but it seems relevant: Curio/theymersophie did another video in their Monster Men series, Superheros as Monsters. (Mild mention of Snyder but more specifically focused on comics and superhero movies in general.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVDYjZhf9yc

This video made me check out Immortal Hulk and that is a really good comic book.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Jamie Faith posted:

gently caress it I guess. Off to go :filez: Man of Steel and Batman V Superman (and Wonder Woman and Aqua Man while I'm at it). Should I bother with Suicide Squad?

Was already in the process of this before checking the thread. I've never watched a single Snyder movie and have paid basically no attention to any of the criticism, so in 6 months when I finally get around to watching these movies I can derail this thread with my own opinions.

On another note, Civvie's playing more of the Postal 4 Alpha some more so content warnings for everything that involves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwfl7Zx35b4

Voidburger breaking down where The Medium's The Maw fails with comparison's to SH2's Pyramid Head
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7eYWa1PKww

Garrand fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 16, 2021

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Jimmy olsen getting domed in the first ten minutes of beavis for being a cia freak owns incredibly hard, hth

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Garrand posted:

Voidburger breaking down where The Medium's The Maw fails with comparison's to SH2's Pyramid Head
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7eYWa1PKww

gonna watch this. i have heard sorta mixed stuff about the medium but mostly nothing really.

Edit: guess it sucks lol.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 17, 2021

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the medium is insanely bad

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Edit: guess it sucks lol.

Yes.

If you would like to know more, depending on the experience you want:

Bobvids goes through blind in one long (with a couple interruptions) sitting. He gets quite mad at it at times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwqcE719Bs

Voidburger and Chipcheezum later streamed it, also mad in a similar fashion
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPtOqZrJ-NB4_9sAsZAx1W56MgICdpHAK

Super Great Friend did a blind playthrough before he had heard anything about it. You can just hear it in his voice as the game goes on and he becomes more and more despondent. Less ranty than the other two.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaSPgE4K0SB1JCWxuGeYrWmZcPGQ08NQr

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Mr Phillby posted:

I still cannot imagine how bad the theatrical cut must have been if what I watched was the improved version that makes sense.

Very. The theatrical cut is very much edited from the position of "it's called Batman v Superman not Superman v Batman" because it eviscerates everything about Superman's character to reduce the run time, which make him even more unlikable than he was in Man of Steel - all of his motivation is excised, so he's just this belligerent rear end in a top hat who picks a fight with Batman and goes almost instantly from zero to "you should thank me for not murdering you and disappear forever if you want to keep it that way".

It's really quite a piece of work. I think Snyder's stuff is bad in general but that theatrical cut really puts a thumb on the scale tilting general opinion on it much more towards negative.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The CIA part isn't what I'm objecting to at all lol. Like Jimmy isn't a CIA agent in the comics they invented that as a reason to get him shot.

Also Superman and Batman both come off as belligerent assholes in the directors cut too? Also Superman doesn't actually have a strong motivation to do the fight with Batman beyond being blackmailed into it so I guess all that stuff was the first to go as it didn't really lead anywhere.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
If that had really been Jimmy Olsen he would have deflected the bullet off his impenetrable hide after a freak transformation into a giant turtle man from a passing cosmic ray

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Travis McElroy made some No Homo jokes so he's now taking a break from social media:
https://twitter.com/travismcelroy/status/1371966538815770627?s=19

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What, this is somehow a big bad statement? :psyduck:

Like that doesn't even read as a "no homo" thing to me, can you not make a jokey remark about thinking about your own sexuality, this is weird as hell to imagine a backlash over to me.

Or like can straight guys not be platonically attracted to other guys and have a laugh at themselves?

But then looking at the replies there's some real weird ones, accusing him of "queerbaiting" himself like he's a TV show I guess? Or that him painting his nails or coloring his hair is gay appropriation, what.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 17, 2021

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
left twitter for some reason hates travis mcelroy so he'll be hounded over anything.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
personally i read it as a dude who probably will realize he's bi down the line once he stops running into the wall he's placed for himself, but i'm coming from the position of knowing a lot of people (myself included) who spent a while doing the same. people really have it out for the mcelroys in general, though, and especially for travis + fully believe he's somehow faking all this for attention. dude just needs to stop thinking out loud on twitter and spend some more time reevaluating himself in a space where every single thing he does isn't on the internet for everyone to see (if he can manage to find it while he's not doing podcasts)

fun fact: nearly all straight or cis people don't spend a lot of time thinking about what it'd be like if you weren't straight or cis + if you find yourself going to that well a lot it might be worth realizing that something about it does in fact appeal to you. that's not to say that if you've ever had those thoughts you're not straight or cis, but i've known people who had those thoughts basically daily before they were out to themselves

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What the gently caress are some of these people, "Man what a homophobe, now let me demand he choose his sexuality NOW" :psyduck:

https://twitter.com/_girltype/status/1371934144289198081

https://twitter.com/Girlnextvore/status/1371934200186683399

https://twitter.com/YerFriendMolly/status/1371966185722376194

That last one especially is some "Actually I'm telepathic and you're not allowed to say you feel bad any time I deem it so that YOU'RE JUST LOOKING FOR PITY YOU'RE NOT DEPRESSED" like wow eat a whole rear end and choke.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 17, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Everyone on twitter is a huge doofus

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It really strikes me as "I made some dumb jokes I regret and so I think I should take a break from Twitter for a while" rather than a response to any real backlash. I'm sure you can find some people who are mad if you go looking.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I should point out I don't have it out for the McElroys. Travis might annoy me sometimes but I think it's because he might be testing the waters in the same embarrassing way I did before I came out

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Outrage culture dictates how a lot of people use Twitter. :shrug:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

It's probably because I'm just a little bit out of it already, but boy there's a lot of disgusting people using his tweets to a bunch of applause and I wish that one of their peers would backhand them for being actually horribly regressive when it's time to attack the podcast man, luv2be the most hyper progressive leftist and also make sure that depressed people can only have depression when it's not too close in proximity to something I deem terrible from them, which is actually everything they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Yardbomb posted:

It's probably because I'm just a little bit out of it already, but boy there's a lot of disgusting people using his tweets to a bunch of applause and I wish that one of their peers would backhand them, luv2be the most hyper progressive leftist and also make sure that depressed people can only have depression when it's not too close in proximity to something I deem terrible from them, which is actually everything they do.

It's just lashing out. People don't get that you can be on the "right" side and still be a toxic rear end in a top hat, especially in a place that rewards dunking on the "wrong" side.