Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I feel that but the force vector feels wrong, if the head doesn't come off it should've dragged the body with it, instead the body comes as a single piece with it as if it was non flexible, and it shouldn't have rolled considering the weight and the absorbancy of the snow on the ground.

It looks like they were trying to do a boxing thing where the opponent take a hook and drops but, I don't know if you've ever boxed, but when you drop it isn't cause someone hit you hard enough to move you, It's cause they hit you hard enough to cut the connection to the nerves in your feet. Ali Vs. Foreman has a great example at the end of that.

I think I better get where you're coming from here, thanks.

Looking at it on loop, the head is definitely leading in the initial fall, but when it's going into a roll the force seems more evenly distributed, which might feel kinda wonky at a glance. (Looking at the overall fight, that's probably due to Carta's missing arm making the roll change directions.) The snow's also a pretty thin layer over the ice, which can help explain the rebound rather than just smashing in.

IBO's definitely got a lot of heavy impact shots through its run, with a very different feel from the beamspam in a lot of mech anime, or even the attempts at physical exchanges in some of them. But I'd be remiss not to mention one shot from G-Reco that's stuck with me since I first saw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Pfft, Gryps.

Just use the Solar Ray. Stop Fukui from making Unicorn. That's what Thunderbolt seems to be going for.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/feezy_feez/status/1368014212342050820

ngl, 100 ep turn-a sounds pretty rough, so this was probably a good call

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Endorph posted:

Turn A is probably the only Gundam to really make use of 50 eps but even then it has a clip show in there (kinda early for some reason, maybe it's covering a production issue?). I mean I would watch an extra 50 eps of the militia doing dumb things and Loran using the gundam as a washing machine but I feel like it'd be stretched a bit thin.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I'm not sure there has been any Gundam story I think would have benefitted from being given 100 episodes to play with.

Destiny is trash, SEED did not benefit from more episodes to that story.

ZZ umm doesn't really build on Z until the last 15-20 episodes

I guess there aren't many others that have direct sequels you could thought experiment it about really. I havent engaged with any of the build series stuff but maybe them?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

take turn a's extra 50 and split them out between uhh x, g-reco, and a new au

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I'm not sure there has been any Gundam story I think would have benefitted from being given 100 episodes to play with.

Destiny is trash, SEED did not benefit from more episodes to that story.

ZZ umm doesn't really build on Z until the last 15-20 episodes

I guess there aren't many others that have direct sequels you could thought experiment it about really. I havent engaged with any of the build series stuff but maybe them?

You could make an argument that AGE could have used the space.

It's just that AGE is terrible and uses the time it does have badly, so there's no guarantee that giving it more episodes would even flesh out the supporting casts better.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

33 episodes of kio would be a warcrime on the level of operation british.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
IIRC AGE was originally pitched as a 100+ episode snoozefest, which I cannot imagine them managing to fill with anything meaningful in the slightest.

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

Kanos posted:

IIRC AGE was originally pitched as a 100+ episode snoozefest, which I cannot imagine them managing to fill with anything meaningful in the slightest.

100 episodes 100 master grades

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

See, it's a brilliant meta move. It makes you FEEL like you're suffering through a century long war.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I don't think I've ever seen an original anime that used all 50 episodes well, let alone 100.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
100 episodes of Destiny (or I guess 50 episodes of Shin and probably another 50 with Jesus) sounds kinda nightmarish.

But a 100 episode Gundam Wing series would eventually loop around into being hilarious

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Endorph posted:

I'm going to go against the crowd and say that I would have loved 100 episodes of Turn A. One of the reasons I enjoyed Turn A as is is because I loved the slow exploration of setting and character in the first half, as the plot mostly took a backseat and was basically just Guin and Dianna (or Kihel as Dianna) leading a series of negotiations that both sides militia's resented, and constantly hosed with for the sake of revenge. Anis' Cow and Dianna working in the field hospital are some of the strongest episodes of the show and the franchise as a whole to my mind, and that was when exploring a relatively similar Edwardian society. I would presume an extra 50 episodes would have been used to explore the Moon more (probably through Kihel) as a society in the same way the first half of the show explored Ameria through Dianna.

As is, the show really didn't get to spend much time exploring the Moon and I feel like there's a lot to explore there, especially with how cryogenic sleep has affected the population, the fact technology and society as a whole is so staid, children can be physically older than their parents, the majority of the population at any one time are in cryogenic sleep, the almost physical stratification of society, with elites like Gym in the deeper cities who are thousands of years old, swan about in weird outfits in grand castles talking about almost fantasies of life, while closer to the surface you have people living in ramshackle towns wearing pretty normal outfits who don't appear to have access to cryogenic sleep at all, fishing for a living in rivers that stretch over the royal courts below and how Gym condescends about them.

You also have Syd Mead talking about how he was told that WaDoms were grown on the Moon and to make them look somewhat organic because of it, so an expanded runtime might have even allowed the series to explore that, the history of the Turns themselves more (though I don't really think it's all that necessary; it'd still be nice), Corin's past etc. Man, that's gonna grip my imagination for a while, and leave me sad we didn't get that.

chiasaur11 posted:

You could make an argument that AGE could have used the space.

It's just that AGE is terrible and uses the time it does have badly, so there's no guarantee that giving it more episodes would even flesh out the supporting casts better.

Akihiro Hino mentioned in one interview or something that he originally envisioned Generation 2 being about 10 episodes longer, and wanted to focus those extra episodes on Asem and Zehearts schooldays, so yeah, I think it's fairly apparent he would have absolutely wasted those extra episodes if he got them.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

WrightOfWay posted:

I don't think I've ever seen an original anime that used all 50 episodes well, let alone 100.

Monster is pretty good.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tae posted:

Monster is pretty good.

The line was original anime. Monster is based on a manga.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

WrightOfWay posted:

aikatsu stars is 100 episodes long and every single one is perfect.

my personal favorite is the girl who gets a couple focus eps in the first dozen eps, walks offsceren in episode 13, is never seen again, and then someone opens a box in episode 94 and she pops out of it and just reenters the plot of the last 6 episodes like she was always there, except now her personality is that shes a pyromaniac

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

chiasaur11 posted:

The line was original anime. Monster is based on a manga.

I was gonna open my mouth with a “yeah but logh” before I caught the caveat.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not gonna lie, I don't enjoy monster at all. People say it's one of the best animes ever, but it felt like a showtime show. Just dragging and dragging forever, I got to the point where I realized I couldn't give a gently caress anymore and didn't want to spend my time watching it.

Everything about it is good, music, animation, plot, it's all decent. But the pacing is absolutely glacial, and then any time something interesting starts happening the show hits a brick wall before the climax and resets.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Endorph posted:

aikatsu stars is 100 episodes long and every single one is perfect.

my personal favorite is the girl who gets a couple focus eps in the first dozen eps, walks offsceren in episode 13, is never seen again, and then someone opens a box in episode 94 and she pops out of it and just reenters the plot of the last 6 episodes like she was always there, except now her personality is that shes a pyromaniac

I'm given to understand something like this happens in Pripara, someone just shoots off into space during a performance sometime in season 1 and when she finally lands its in season 3 and in the middle of a big idol competition and she carries on with her performance like nothing had happened.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
And I thought AoT had some serious callback moments

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/denpa_books/status/1370551494689255424?s=19

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Whose senpai, vertical did the origin didn't they

Edit denpai, nice to know I type senpai enough it's in my auto-correct

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they're a newer publisher set up by the FAKKU guys. they took up the Shintaro Kago and Urotsukidoji licenses FAKKU had and have some other ecchi/explicit stuff but one of their first big licenses was Kaiji, they're putting out March Comes in Like a Lion, Emiya Gohan etc. so just an interesting variety publisher that's been going for a couple years now.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That certainly is a variety, Didn't know Kaiji was being translated though gotta get in on that, the anime gave me a big love for Japanese Punk music and desire to watch more balls to the wall gambling

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Char, please, don't grope your secretary in front of the cover.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I wonder what the infamous 'hamburger" line from 0080 dub is in Japanese? Was this just a totally new line to the dub or a great moment of localization or does the Japanese say basically the same thing?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Iirc it's ground meat in Japanese.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

That's the actual meaning of hamburger, so if that's the case it's as close to a literal translation as you can get.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gaius Marius posted:

Close; "Hamburger" in Japanese can refer to either a burger or to Hamburger steak, which is ground beef.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"Hamburger" in Japanese

Again, not just in Japanese:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I've started up season 2 of IBO. I see we're back to clunky exposition to introduce the new players. Atra giving the recap at the start was fine, but most of the other exposition was a bit ehhhhh that felt like they were padding out the runtime a bit.

I do like the big chunky wannabe GM the pirates use and the Shidens are great looking grunt suits. And I see Shino has kept up with his customized suits.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 15, 2021

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

its both a relief and kind of loving with me we haven't hear anything about the live action gundam film yet. wonder what sunrise is gonna do if it goes into development hell

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

its both a relief and kind of loving with me we haven't hear anything about the live action gundam film yet. wonder what sunrise is gonna do if it goes into development hell

I've heard (from a guy who heard it from a guy, so take this with all the salt they didn't have on the White Base) that they're still working on it, but it's still in the "figure out the plot details" stage, without actual casting or anything like that yet. Supposedly, the plan is for a One Year War variant, basically covering the first Gundam movie's plot arc, but that could also just be someone making poo poo up going for the most likely avenue.

Anyway, we'll see what we see.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I suppose it would be too much to ask for the continuation of the Origin OVAs, but who knows.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I, for one, don't like The Origin OVAs. Too much zeonwank. Too much charwank.

Like, it's too much Zeonwank to the point where none of the mobile suit battles are actually interesting at all- like the first mobile suit battle on the moon when Minvosky is trying to defect, where there's zero tension whatsoever so all you do is watch the feddies not land a single hit while Zeon basically wins the fight without a scratch.

Also the scene where that guy grabs Char by the shoulder, and Char glares at him so hard that he flies off of Char's shoulder and hits the ground hard enough to crack it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I enjoy both the zeonwank and the charwank, though char's inhumanly piercing gaze is definitely something I would not miss if removed. An origin without char betraying and murdering multiple people and beating the poo poo out of suspicious looking people in bars would not be nearly as enjoyable though

The mobile suit fights I do enjoy as a massive demonstration of how mobile suits completely spin all preconceptions of how combat would play out on its head. I wouldn't enjoy it if fights continued playing out like that in future OVA entries as we're past the prologue part of gundam, but for their role in the story I think they do a good job.

Really though the thing that would make me most giddy about future origin ovas would be more absurd zabi family drama.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 16, 2021

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

What I like the most about the Origin ovas is the depiction of ships actually soaking up punishment instead of exploding from the slightest touch.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'm split on Char in the Origin. It certainly does glorify him as well as adds one really unnecessary part to his backstory, but it also adds more villainous stuff he did so it's not exactly trying to white-wash him either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

If you think about the Origin as a story told by Char, then I think the bias the story shows makes a bit more sense. Still a very pretty thing, but Char having not a single person who can really challenge him kinda dulls a lot of the conflicts.

I get the manga prb doesn't fit with that, but the OVA's scope and story I think do.