Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Murgos posted:

I'm picturing that they will forgive just about anything as long as you throw the ball for them. Also, their online forums are filled with debates about how throwing the ball for yourself is unfulfilling and using a machine to throw the ball is dirty and treated kind of like having a real doll.

Avatars are replaced with scratch and sniff squares. When they talk too spice a mod puts you on pawbation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Lawman 0 posted:

Let's have a debate: What 4X strategy had the best/most enjoyable AI opponents?

I liked GalCiv 2's, except that it really, really loved surrendering itself to another AI if you were beating it in combat.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Lawman 0 posted:

No question in my mind :) Alpha Centuari

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

THE BAR posted:

I liked GalCiv 2's, except that it really, really loved surrendering itself to another AI if you were beating it in combat.

Did GalCiv 3 ever reach a point where it overtook 2? The second game was excellent.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

THE BAR posted:

Was that the one where if you played on easy it would say something along the lines of "we would fight more but our rules won't allow it?"

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Mayveena posted:

Agreed. Most of the original founders felt immensely real in play, even though it was mostly smoke and mirrors. Everyone hates Miriam, Yang is always an entrenched North Korea, Morgan gets steamrolled every time ( :smuggo: ) and the peacekeepers are always lovable ineffectual doofuses.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

THE BAR posted:

GalCiv2 devs always talked up it's ai, but to be honest I don't think I ever saw it do anything all that clever, or heard anything particularly clever from other people. There's probably an impressive engine behind the scenes, but as for actually being a competent ai I suspect it might be mostly marketing.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

GalCiv 2 has a pretty good AI, but that's because the game itself is built around making everything very easy for the AI to comprehend. That includes dumbing down the tech tree so that it's literally just numbers go up. I always found it boring and soulless.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

LLJKSiLk posted:

Did GalCiv 3 ever reach a point where it overtook 2? The second game was excellent.

GC3 wasn't as disappointing as Sword of the Starts 2, but it was close!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

LLJKSiLk posted:

I've only tried 3 briefly, but it felt exactly like 2 but with Civ 5's culture mechanic thrown on top of it.

Lawman 0 posted:

Was that the one where if you played on easy it would say something along the lines of "we would fight more but our rules won't allow it?"

Dunno! Never played on Easy. :c00lbutt:

Bug Squash posted:

GalCiv2 devs always talked up it's ai, but to be honest I don't think I ever saw it do anything all that clever, or heard anything particularly clever from other people. There's probably an impressive engine behind the scenes, but as for actually being a competent ai I suspect it might be mostly marketing.

I think the most wow-y thing was that it would react to you moving your fleet in a menacing manner. It was a long time ago.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I tried so hard to like Galciv 3, but god drat it was just Galciv 2 but clunkier and more annoying :smith:

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

Enjoyable wise I'd say Endless Legends/Space 2, just because they're memorable and legitimately feel different to play against.

I don't think I could identify a best though. Maybe Star Ruler 2, if you stuck to just using basic templates of ship designs.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Murgos posted:

I'm picturing that they will forgive just about anything as long as you throw the ball for them. Also, their online forums are filled with debates about how throwing the ball for yourself is unfulfilling and using a machine to throw the ball is dirty and treated kind of like having a real doll.

They actually share their home planet with a second species of big dumb idiots who throw the ball for them.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Mayveena posted:

:same:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Lawman 0 posted:

GalCiv2 AI could put up a fight, which is more than you can say of most AI. Pity about the owner being a monster.

The military AI in EU4 was very bad, but I enjoyed the diplomatic AI. It at least made sense for why it hated/liked someone.

Alpha Centauri AI was not good and very cheaty. The phenomenal writing makes it still fun to play despite the AI limitations.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Endless Legend AI is decent enough, the factional asymmetry allows it to still cause interesting problems for the player even though it's still pretty dumb.

Unfortunately this is not true of the Endless Space games, where the AI in both is legitimately incapable of putting up any sort of fight despite playing the game with technical competence. They're just slow and dumb.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Lawman 0 posted:

MoO2 you can actually lose to, so that's pretty fun.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

Lawman 0 posted:

AI War : Fleet Command.
I heard its AI just reached singularity...... :tali:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

I really enjoyed MOO1 ai but that was probably just a product of being before most other games. They had just enough personality and artwork to seem believable.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

PerniciousKnid posted:

I really enjoyed MOO1 ai but that was probably just a product of being before most other games. They had just enough personality and artwork to seem believable.

It also helps that the game is pretty simple, so the AI can actually play it to some degree. It needs bonuses to compete with a player that works hard to min-max things, and its tactical AI leaves something to be desired, but it definitely can put up a fight, and the personality traits as well as the biases built into the species creates legitimate threats and alliance blocs. The blocs are also quite dangerous because of how easy it is to lose via diplomacy if you piss everyone else in the galaxy off.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I just remember winning MOO1 with the my Alkari bros sticking by my side through thick and thin. I loved those guys!

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

Reach for the Stars :colbert:

Seriously, though, SSG mostly stuck to grognardy wargames and isn't well-known anymore, but Roger Keating was a pioneer of writing good, non-cheaty AI. One of his principles was not to design a game and then tack on an AI at the end, but to consider whether or not each feature could be used by the AI throughout the design phase.

Their best known game is probably Warlords 3.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I count AI War as a 4X. It's AI War. There's no pretense that the AI isn't a murderous Skynet that will murder you dead. Freed from the requirement to appear like a fair AI, the devs can just go hog wild with AI behaviour.

It also solves a recurring problem of 4X where the AI can't keep up once the player gets going. In AI War, Skynet will push back harder the more of a threat the player is.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Hannibal Rex posted:

Reach for the Stars :colbert:

Seriously, though, SSG mostly stuck to grognardy wargames and isn't well-known anymore, but Roger Keating was a pioneer of writing good, non-cheaty AI. One of his principles was not to design a game and then tack on an AI at the end, but to consider whether or not each feature could be used by the AI throughout the design phase.

Their best known game is probably Warlords 3.

Reminded me of something I wondered for a while, why hasn't anyone taken some of the good stuff from Reach for the Stars 2000 remake. The biggest one was the different races, there were like 16(?) they all had different requirements for temperature, atmosphere, and gravity. I don't think the AI was designed to make use of it but you could imagine a similar game mechanic leading to certain species naturally getting along, since they're never competing for each other's resources.

It had actually some of the most interesting sci fi deaigns since you had tiny asteroid dwellers, gas giant jelly creatures, among all the standard stuff you're used to seeing in 4x. Normally it's just "+20% to water planets until you do this basic research, also everyone loves Earth like planets cause why wouldn't they."

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

threelemmings posted:

Reminded me of something I wondered for a while, why hasn't anyone taken some of the good stuff from Reach for the Stars 2000 remake. The biggest one was the different races, there were like 16(?) they all had different requirements for temperature, atmosphere, and gravity. I don't think the AI was designed to make use of it but you could imagine a similar game mechanic leading to certain species naturally getting along, since they're never competing for each other's resources.

It had actually some of the most interesting sci fi deaigns since you had tiny asteroid dwellers, gas giant jelly creatures, among all the standard stuff you're used to seeing in 4x. Normally it's just "+20% to water planets until you do this basic research, also everyone loves Earth like planets cause why wouldn't they."

MOO3 did this. Which may be part of the answer to why nobody else did, even though MOO3's problems were that it just didn't have enough time in the oven rather than anything with the base concepts.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I don't actually have that much experience with many 4Xs (something I'm trying to correct!) but I am familiar with the AI in the Civ series and I'll say this much: the most fun I've had with the AI is in Civ 5, specifically with the Vox Populi mod.

The AI was known to be somewhat psychotic in Civ 5, especially the base game (it improved with both expansions), and even worse in Civ 6. And it's difficult to enjoy an AI that just goes balls-to-the-wall insane on you. But with the VP mod, I find the AI to be actually enjoyable to engage with. It won't do psychotic things like backstabbing you for literally no reason, or going to war when it has no chance of victory, things like that. It generally behaves in its own interest. And the modders added tonnes more flavour text / dialog too, which helps buy into their decisions.

I'm actually playing a game right now where even in the classical era, the various civs I've encountered are taking up sides based on what they think of my warmongering. Actually it's kinda funny - they were all friendly with each other but then I started a war with someone, and they all have opinions on it, and their differences of opinion is splitting them up. My war might actually cause another war over there, on the other side of the continent. A few of them are already on edge due to territorial disputes, this might just tip them over :grin:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

threelemmings posted:

Doesn't Stellaris do this? One race's "20% habitable planet" might be another race's "80% habitable planet".

Terraforming tech does kinda make this distinction pointless though eventually. You're gonna want those 20% planets anyway because of their potential

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Zurai posted:

MOO3 did this. Which may be part of the answer to why nobody else did, even though MOO3's problems were that it just didn't have enough time in the oven rather than anything with the base concepts.

Moo3 had way too much time in the oven I think development started in like 1998? and they still couldn't figure out how to actually get any of their systems to work together this was made worse because the main system, the Heavy Foot of Government made it where you couldn't actually do anything about the broken systems as a player.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

threelemmings posted:

Stars in Shadow has a moderately complex biome system, though it's not a factorial model. It's sufficiently nuanced that the pillbug dudes here:

can have an affinity for deep-sea vents, while the fish people do better in higher oceanic zones and coastal reefs, and that has an effect on which planet types both prefer.

It's a neat convolution of the colonisation system, though last I checked the UX for shuffling population around to max your caps was not great.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Moo3 had way too much time in the oven I think development started in like 1998? and they still couldn't figure out how to actually get any of their systems to work together this was made worse because the main system, the Heavy Foot of Government made it where you couldn't actually do anything about the broken systems as a player.

Just don't let the guy who wrote the strategy guide design the sequel?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

The design was scrapped and reworked partway through development after Alan Emrich was forced off the project.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I don't actually have that much experience with many 4Xs (something I'm trying to correct!) but I am familiar with the AI in the Civ series and I'll say this much: the most fun I've had with the AI is in Civ 5, specifically with the Vox Populi mod.

The AI was known to be somewhat psychotic in Civ 5, especially the base game (it improved with both expansions), and even worse in Civ 6. And it's difficult to enjoy an AI that just goes balls-to-the-wall insane on you. But with the VP mod, I find the AI to be actually enjoyable to engage with. It won't do psychotic things like backstabbing you for literally no reason, or going to war when it has no chance of victory, things like that. It generally behaves in its own interest. And the modders added tonnes more flavour text / dialog too, which helps buy into their decisions.

I'm actually playing a game right now where even in the classical era, the various civs I've encountered are taking up sides based on what they think of my warmongering. Actually it's kinda funny - they were all friendly with each other but then I started a war with someone, and they all have opinions on it, and their differences of opinion is splitting them up. My war might actually cause another war over there, on the other side of the continent. A few of them are already on edge due to territorial disputes, this might just tip them over :grin:

I've never heard of this mod, but it sounds neat. Really wish something similar would be done in Civ6, cause man, that game feels like playing against a raffle tumbler, except all of the numbers end in the AI denouncing you.

I especially love the boat guy getting angry at you for not having enough boats, when his entire deal is invading people with his boats.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Doesn't Stellaris do this? One race's "20% habitable planet" might be another race's "80% habitable planet".

Terraforming tech does kinda make this distinction pointless though eventually. You're gonna want those 20% planets anyway because of their potential

With stellaris' border system I didn't think you can really share where someone has Rho A and you have Rho B or whatever (this was a few years ago maybe they've redesigned the system again like they seem to do from time to time).

I know there are some minor examples, I think it's the kind of thing a game would have to be planned around from the outset, it's just an interesting niche and it'd be interesting to see a game where you're pickier where you want to be and naturally get along with someone who doesn't step on your toes instead of painting the board and just accepting those 20%s will be worth it one day.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

threelemmings posted:

With stellaris' border system I didn't think you can really share where someone has Rho A and you have Rho B or whatever (this was a few years ago maybe they've redesigned the system again like they seem to do from time to time).

Well, since you bring it up, the original border system at release did in fact allow multiple states to control different parts of a single star system. Not 100% on what the motivation was for changing it (probably the war it interacted with claims, since it happened at the same time as the rest of the war changes), but it honestly didn't play that well. Given how many systems you're expected to manage in Stellaris, everything below the interstellar scale feels like too much detail to have to care about.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Hah exactly why I added that caveat, I've played on and off (including release, I remember planet tiles but not the borders thing) and I'm not surprised that at one point any number of mechanics have temporarily existed. I do wish it grabbed me more, it's fun designing a unique empire but it never seems to really go anywhere different.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

There've been a couple story DLCs (mostly distant stars and ancient relics) which combined with the big title DLCs have shaken up the progression of the player empire so it's not quite as linear and samey as it was, but this is all caveated with the game still suffering from mid and late game micromanagement hell with the current population system. Supposedly the patch hitting with the next DLC is going to rectify that, we'll see.

I'm actually a pretty big Stellaris fan relative to a lot of other classic 4xs, I think it's one of the best space empire RPGs ever made, but as a 4x it has some distinct flaws in terms of mechanics and the player's interaction with them.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
maybe the new stellaris patch will alleviate the insane micro needed to keep on top of things post early game if you don't want to let the AI ruin your empire's economy and the game will be good again :v:

also re: AI, early civs (1 and 2) were OK to play vs AI.

not because the AI's good, it's terrible, but because there's only 3 real systems to interact with: city growth, expansion, warfare. warfare was super simplistic too (unit attack vs unit defence plus any terrain/fortification bonus and a dice roll to add rng). with only those 3 systems having any real impact on the game, you almost always had a game where one of the AIs managed to not gently caress up anything, absorbed a couple early neighbours, and held an entire continent by the time you met them.

these days AI is technically better, but the games have 7 billion systems players need to keep track of, and failing any one of them can often be detrimental, so obviously AI fucks up one or two early on and is a non-threat past turn 30 even on hardest difficulties

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Lawman 0 posted:

The same as the best 4X game overall: Fall From Heaven 2 <Insert your favorate mod mod mod here> for Civ4

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I have a love-hate relationship with Stellaris. I haven't played it much, but I really really like the theme; it's the only game where I feel you can make a Star Trek-like universe come to life, without any of the pre-scripted Star Trek IP.

But, I also find it rather boring. The early game is great, when you're exploring and establishing new colonies and meeting other empires and such, but when your borders butt up against other empires and your expansion grinds to a halt, it gets intensely boring for me. Interaction with the AIs seems to be almost non-existent. Nothing seems to happen, unless you end up in a war. Some things happen on the galactic council but it all seems mostly irrelevant, with proposals just being +X bonus to something or other and my diplomatic weight is too insignificant to make a difference to what happens with them anyway.

That said, I have the base game and none of the DLC. I have the DLCs on my wishlist but I haven't felt confident enough to pull the trigger on any of them. They're like £7 a pop even on discount, and I just can't be sure they actually solve the problems I have with the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I only like exploring maps, then things lock down and you can win or lose and I get antsy and bored. Only 4X's I ever really, really played were SMAC and Civ4 and honorable mention AI War. The Minecraft and survival genres soaked up that desire to explore, so I hardly play 4X's anymore. I half-rear end the early game in those and quit before it gets hard instead.

Yet I consider myself a 4X liker.