Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Mispolm is obviously the best. Dangaard has the best music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Phantasium posted:

being really nice to fiegmund for some reason

He was fine, just unmemorable. Lightgazer was actively annoying.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lightgazer is fun if you're trying to do no damage, because every jump away he does is a tiny 10 hp or so attack that can ruin your run.

And by fun, I mean a complete rear end in a top hat. They even let you dodge his screen clear but then he heals a bunch if you let him get it off.

Fiegmund has just been a lame nothing fight no matter how I approach it.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Rolled credits last night. Dark Castle had a suitable level of gravitas for a final dungeon, though I was expecting the final boss to have a third phase, that fight went a little quickly. If I keep following the markers, will I see all of the postgame content, or is there more hidden stuff too?

Overall my Dragon Master/Nomad/Warrior Monk party was pretty solid if a little one-note in terms of strategy. A bit disappointing that Kevin won't cast Leaf Saber on his own even with Attack Saber II slotted. Hawkeye, meanwhile, was throwing out a seemingly random but always welcome assortment of buffs constantly. Riesz was quite effective as main attacker and I loved her class 3 costume and CS.

Riesz was fun to play as with great aesthetics, combos, and useful skills including her summon, but I really did not come away with a good impression of her character. Seemed like any big moment that happened in the story, her reaction was either "What?" or "Oh dear!" with no real personality behind it. Even regrouping with the amazons and recapturing Laurent didn't really feel like it had that big of an emotional moment. Her bit of connection to Flammie was probably the most endearing thing out of the whole story. :shrug:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Nibble posted:

Rolled credits last night. Dark Castle had a suitable level of gravitas for a final dungeon, though I was expecting the final boss to have a third phase, that fight went a little quickly. If I keep following the markers, will I see all of the postgame content, or is there more hidden stuff too?

Overall my Dragon Master/Nomad/Warrior Monk party was pretty solid if a little one-note in terms of strategy. A bit disappointing that Kevin won't cast Leaf Saber on his own even with Attack Saber II slotted. Hawkeye, meanwhile, was throwing out a seemingly random but always welcome assortment of buffs constantly. Riesz was quite effective as main attacker and I loved her class 3 costume and CS.

Riesz was fun to play as with great aesthetics, combos, and useful skills including her summon, but I really did not come away with a good impression of her character. Seemed like any big moment that happened in the story, her reaction was either "What?" or "Oh dear!" with no real personality behind it. Even regrouping with the amazons and recapturing Laurent didn't really feel like it had that big of an emotional moment. Her bit of connection to Flammie was probably the most endearing thing out of the whole story. :shrug:

Yeah she is a lot of fun even if you can get more raw damage out of kevin (though her combos and specials i found a lot more useful) the poor writing and i guess directing on her sucks, since the va is fine in Fire emblem. i think her 3d model lost a lot vs her incredibly dynamic sprite in the original too.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Should have mained Angela.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

exquisite tea posted:

Should have mained Angela.

That’s the plan for next time, Angela/Duran/Charlotte. I was thinking Archmage/Warlock/Liege, but after learning that Charlotte gets Healing Light+ even on dark path, I might go Edelfrei instead.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Following the prompts after the final boss will direct you towards everything but the Black Rabite superboss, which should probably wait until you've done the rest anyway. You can find him by checking the rabite statue that's now spawned at the start of the final area and it'll teleport you near the save point closest to his boss room.

Note that when it directs you to the fourth class change items, you can do the final class change for a character the second you get their specific item, you don't have to wait until you get all 3, for example.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Phantasium posted:

Following the prompts after the final boss will direct you towards everything but the Black Rabite superboss, which should probably wait until you've done the rest anyway. You can find him by checking the rabite statue that's now spawned at the start of the final area and it'll teleport you near the save point closest to his boss room.

Note that when it directs you to the fourth class change items, you can do the final class change for a character the second you get their specific item, you don't have to wait until you get all 3, for example.

Cool thanks.

Yeah I did Riesz's already. The Brynhildr costume is somehow too skimpy and too busy at the same time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Too bad you missed Starlancer, that's maybe the best outfit out of any character in the game.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
I do feel the remake kinda made Riesz blander in a lot of ways. She was nowhere near as blobby or prissy in the origional, where she was goofier but serious and reserved, just look at the running animations and see what I mean. The weird direction of her voice acting for both languages was also strange. Mikaku Komatsu defintately did her with more energy in the other stuff she's voiced her in and for what its worth when Cox gets her right here she gets her really right but you can tell she had no direction most of the time.

At least she was fun and satisfying to play and extremely effective.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Anise down. I usually associate "postgame" content with random challenge dungeons/bosses unrelated to the story, but I feel like Anise and her zone were tied in well enough, and there was some good closure for the characters getting the Class 4 stuff. I can't imagine stopping at the credits proper.

Do the time bonuses from Anise only happen if you re-fight her? I think I killed her fast enough that I should have gotten something, but it didn't even show me my time or anything. Also gotta say, for a lot of games, continuing to level and get postgame gear/skills usually feels kinda pointless since there's nothing left to use it on, but trying to kill Anise faster makes for a fun goal to give it some purpose.

I'm thinking of using NG+ because I may eventually want a file with everything unlocked, but I want my next run to stay at a regular difficulty. If avoid using carried-over items and skills, then really the only material benefit I'd get is the random extra exp from Lil' Cactus, right?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

yeah you gotta do it on the second run

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I started playing Trials again and was worried the combat would feel like garbage coming fresh off a Ys game but it holds up surprisingly well. Man though, what kind of sickos make the A button the default button for attacking?

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

So I played the fan translation ages ago and just got this on Steam and have one question to choosing a main character: Does Angela start with a spell this time or is at as bad to start with her as it was then?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

She doesn't get a spell to start with but the revamped combat system is really quite easy, had no trouble bonking things on the head with her staff for the first couple hours.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Class strikes also scale with INT (in addition to STR), so she isn't as weak without spells as in the OG.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I started the remake of Secret of Mana today. I've enjoyed it so far. Not close to as awesome as the Trials of Mana remake but fun so far. I really hope the Legend of Mana port means about a year later we get a Legend of Mana remake.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I was pretty disappointed since it didn't do the thing you'd really want an SoM remake to do, which is fix all the places you can see "oh there was going to be something here but they hacked it out with a hatchet and just left it like this." You're still running up and down that goddamn mountain.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Canopus250 posted:

So I played the fan translation ages ago and just got this on Steam and have one question to choosing a main character: Does Angela start with a spell this time or is at as bad to start with her as it was then?
Angela is still very backloaded when it comes to her prowess. She starts out better, the main reason being a changed damage algorithm that makes her low strength less of a problem, but then when she gets her first spell, it's weak and expensive compared to SD3. She then gradually gets stronger and stronger and eventually she becomes by far the most powerful character.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

More importantly, she's really fun to play. Spellcasting in OG SD3 has not aged well, imo

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
So I've heard that the Expert Mode jacks the Magic Defense up to ludicruous levels that Rogue!Hawkeye basically outshines every Angela class as a caster?

(And also that Dark Lich becomes a nightmare for Melee-only parties.)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
It's a little bit of swings and roundabouts though because a lot of the melee classes feel worse compared to SD3 because techs are much more finicky.

I absolutely get the design but Split Image Slice is just not very good now, for example, because it's an AoE rather than something that just brutally murders anything on screen.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wasn't there some way to switch characters during a class strike animation, or did I just imagine that? Google is giving me nothing.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You can't. Your party members also can't be switched to when they're doing a class strike.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Maybe you're thinking of spells? Not sure if this still works, though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka2Z8oihFgI&t=7117s

You can see it happen in this speedrun at the timestamp. He quickly pops Kevin's CS2 and then immediately switches to Angela before the animation starts.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

he must be pushing the swap on like the same frame or some other speed runny thing, because the game locks your inputs after doing it normally

edit: honestly i'd ask the speedrunner if you can because i have no idea either, i just tried that idea and couldn't get it to work. i feel like i tried that before when i first played it too. he also mentioned messing something up right before he does it, but also might even be something where you have to have run on an earlier version of the game or something. it's the first i saw of it anyway.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 28, 2021

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Bought Trials during the recent sale and I've been having a blast with it, the voice acting is charmingly bad like it's an 80s anime dub. Duran is great because his response to everything is "What?" or "Uh...okay" and his storyline is the most fourth wall breaking poo poo. Also he's an idiot, as evidenced by the Priest of Light telling them about the Sword of Mana and his response is "I just want to be the strongest swordsman in the world, why would I care about some powerful sword?"

Also as I said in the Switch thread I take back everything bad I've ever said about Charlotte, her Boston accent rules, and if she has voiceless lines I can pretend Homestar Runner is saying them. She's also pretty sharp since she's supposed to be about the same age as most of the other party members but she has no problem pretending to be a kid if it works to her advantage. I'm running a party of Duran/Angela/Charlotte on this playthrough.

I just got back to Valsena and saved the king and after meeting Angela he's all "So Valda had a daughter..." so I'm taking that to mean he and Valda hosed and therefore Angela is his daughter.

The only thing bugging me is I wish I had more control over my party's actions. I miss the Gambit system from FFXII. I have Charlotte set to Protection is Paramount" and have her moves set to "Use moves without caring about MP" but I still have situations where a character will be at like 20 HP and she refuses to cast healing spells.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Twelve by Pies posted:

I just got back to Valsena and saved the king and after meeting Angela he's all "So Valda had a daughter..." so I'm taking that to mean he and Valda hosed and therefore Angela is his daughter.

There was a DS prequel, Heroes of Mana, that never comes out and says it, but... yeah. Yeah she is. Also Hawkeye is Flamekhan's grandson. A lot of the main cast's parents are in the game: Angela's mom, Hawkeye's parents, Riesz's parents, Kevin's dad, Duran's dad. And if you think that sounds intriguing, the game was not very much fun.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 2, 2021

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

She's also pretty sharp since she's supposed to be about the same age as most of the other party members but she has no problem pretending to be a kid if it works to her advantage.

One of my favorite things about the game is that all of the main characters are some varying level of selfish and have to be bribed and/or coerced into helping the Faerie.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

Defiance Industries posted:

There was a DS prequel, Heroes of Mana, that never comes out and says it, but... yeah. Yeah she is. Also Hawkeye is Flamekhan's grandson. A lot of the main cast's parents are in the game: Angela's mom, Hawkeye's parents, Riesz's parents, Kevin's dad, Duran's dad. And if you think that sounds intriguing, the game was not very much fun.

Its also screwy with ages n such and retcons stuff Trials had already mentioned.
For example, Angela was always the oldest of the SD3 crew, but the prequel makes it that she's not even around but Baby Hawkeye is.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

The only thing bugging me is I wish I had more control over my party's actions. I miss the Gambit system from FFXII. I have Charlotte set to Protection is Paramount" and have her moves set to "Use moves without caring about MP" but I still have situations where a character will be at like 20 HP and she refuses to cast healing spells.

The weird thing about the class strike and spell frequency bars is if you turn one off completely they're much more likely to spam the other one if it's full. I feel like if they're both at the "use without caring about mp/cs gauge" the ai has issues still with deciding which one to use at any moment.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Oh wow, the "I'll make use of this" voice line from Angela when you buy her gear in the shop is hilariously bad, it's incredible. The way she says it...it sounds like, honestly, when someone is learning a new language, and they read something and translate it out loud. Like they gave the voice actress the line in Japanese or something and she translated it out loud and they just went "Yep that was great we're done with that line."

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

The direction/acting is so random across party members but much worse for npcs. Somebody on a stream I saw the other week said it had extreme early 2000's anime dub and it seemed pretty accurate.

Overall extremely happy with it at the sale price from the other week but the AI is for sure very lacking. Dark class Riesz loves to cast on random enemies at use 25% of mana and then just not cast spells at all against bosses when set to use all of it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Of the six playable characters, Charlotte honestly has the best voice acting of the five I've heard. She hasn't had any bizarre word emphasis choices in her sentences that I've heard, and she has a lot of personality that shines through. Duran is usually pretty solid though he seems to lack emotion in some scenes (like at the fortune teller when his body is wildly animated and he's just talking calmly), and Kevin talks like it hurts for him to speak. Like, every word Kevin says causes him unspeakable pain so he struggles to say even the most basic things. The only one I haven't heard much of is Hawkeye, who I haven't played as at all, and only has a minor scene with a handful of lines in Jadd if you don't choose him as a party member.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Chawwotte's voice acting is incredible, and I will die on this hill. The way the VA just completely commits to the Elmer Fudd voice is amazing.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Hawkeye is alright. Riesz is good when she shows some emotion, which is mostly in her battle quotes, but comes off extremely flat a lot of the time.

My favorite voice acting is from the two merchant cats from the latter half of the game. Something about the lines and the performance totally took me out of the game every time, like I stopped seeing a character and just pictured a bored voice actress rolling her eyes as she read some terrible puns.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Angela and Chawwotte both have legendary deliveries and I love them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Well I made it to a mana stone and now I have to choose between light and dark for all my party members. drat my choice paralysis. :negative:

Thinking of dark for Duran and Angela and I guess maybe light for Charlotte.