Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Perry is shuffling Clark around departments because he's a poo poo reporter but he can't fire him cause he knows he's Superman

clark is land greg land, no one likes his output but he always hits his deadline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Clark hands in a transcribed episode of SportsCenter with a few tweaks and Perry just goes "great work again, Kent" before sighing and rewriting it himself.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

You are all describing a series I would consume with great delight. Maybe not about superman, but some powerful cape who doesn't realize everyone at work knows who he is

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Perry: Clark, you're on real estate this week!
Clark: Hmm, you know I bet in order to sustain his operation The Batman must own a lot of real estate.
Perry: God damnit!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SlimGoodbody posted:

You are all describing a series I would consume with great delight. Maybe not about superman, but some powerful cape who doesn't realize everyone at work knows who he is

Horatio Sans: ¿Cuando Moleculo?
Conan: ¡EL HOMBRE DE LOS MOLECULOS!!!!!
Horatio Sans: ¿Eres Moleculo?
Conan: Ugh, siiiiii, siiiii

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 16, 2021

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Perry: Clark, you're on real estate this week!
Clark: Hmm, you know I bet in order to sustain his operation The Batman Bat of Gotham must own a lot of real estate.
Perry: God damnit!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Horatio Sans: ¿Eres Moleculo?
Conan: Ugh, siiiiii, siiiii

lol first thing I thought of as well.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

SlimGoodbody posted:

There was that old SNL skit where The Rock played Clark Kent at the Daily Planet, and everyone else kept loving with him.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/clark-kent/2861360

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

TwoPair posted:

Clark hands in a transcribed episode of SportsCenter with a few tweaks and Perry just goes "great work again, Kent" before sighing and rewriting it himself.

Ah the Chris cillizza school of journalism.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

Is that interpretation what Snyder expects of us?

Why try to guess what the director expects, instead of thinking about the message you received?

Gonna go out on a limb here and guess that is the message BrianWIlly received. And because they don't consider the message to be good, they are giving the director the benefit of the doubt as to what was actually intended. Because that's how criticism works: you respond to the media the way you interpreted it. You can bring in other sources, such as other's interpretation, or comments by the creator, if you want, but it's not strictly necessary.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

glitchwraith posted:

Gonna go out on a limb here and guess that is the message BrianWIlly received. And because they don't consider the message to be good, they are giving the director the benefit of the doubt as to what was actually intended. Because that's how criticism works: you respond to the media the way you interpreted it. You can bring in other sources, such as other's interpretation, or comments by the creator, if you want, but it's not strictly necessary.

Just the opposite. If you watch a movie and it seems to you that Jonathan Kent is not a profound font of wisdom, but rather a fearful and traumatized person whose counsel of caution is incomplete and must be synthesized by the hero, combined with the more hopeful vision of his space dad into a more healthy and whole philosophy, why then, that's what the character is. Why trouble yourself by trying to imagine something different that wasn't what the movie said to you?

Plus, the "Jonathan Kent is not perfect" interpretation fits so much better in the rest of the film that if I had to guess I'd say it was the intentional one, supported by evidence like that one time when he was really emotional about not having a good answer and, or the time in the sequel that his ghost showed up and talked about the time he regretted a mistake he made and it haunted him for the rest of his life. I don't think those scenes got there by accident.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

The film ends with a solemn ode to Pa Kent's foresight and wisdom.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The film ends with Clark Kent going to work at the Daily Planet. The last appearance of Pa Kent is him intently watching a young Clark wear a cape and play with the family dog, which to me says more that he was aware of his son's world-changing potential. He is definitely shown as having foresight, which that scene shows, but the scene doesn't have much to say about his wisdom, whose limits were shown earlier.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Karloff posted:

I don't think Kilmer did. At one point he strafes to the side to avoid a missile shot by Two-Face, which then proceeds to blow up a car containing some goons behind him. But I don't think that counts as Batman killing, morally or legally.

I just rewatched Forever and Batman flat out kills Two Face. Two Face is on some railing and flips his coin. Batman throws a bunch of coins in the air to confuse Two Face (who again is standing on a rail) and Two Face lunges forward to catch any coin and falls to his death. Batman is all like "oh well, that happened and lets move on now"

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Madkal posted:

I just rewatched Forever and Batman flat out kills Two Face. Two Face is on some railing and flips his coin. Batman throws a bunch of coins in the air to confuse Two Face (who again is standing on a rail) and Two Face lunges forward to catch any coin and falls to his death. Batman is all like "oh well, that happened and lets move on now"

No doubt, but he's not in a vehicle at the time, iirc we were counting up how many Batmans did vehicular kills. But, yeah, Two Face is a definite murder.

Bongo Bill posted:

The film ends with Clark Kent going to work at the Daily Planet.

Oh bloody hell, fine, the film's final scenes contain a solemn ode to Pa Kent's foresight and wisdom.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 16, 2021

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Karloff posted:

Oh bloody hell, fine, the film's final scenes contain a solemn ode to Pa Kent's foresight and wisdom.

Bongo Bill posted:

The last appearance of Pa Kent is him intently watching a young Clark wear a cape and play with the family dog, which to me says more that he was aware of his son's world-changing potential. He is definitely shown as having foresight, which that scene shows, but the scene doesn't have much to say about his wisdom, whose limits were shown earlier.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

Just the opposite. If you watch a movie and it seems to you that Jonathan Kent is not a profound font of wisdom, but rather a fearful and traumatized person whose counsel of caution is incomplete and must be synthesized by the hero, combined with the more hopeful vision of his space dad into a more healthy and whole philosophy, why then, that's what the character is. Why trouble yourself by trying to imagine something different that wasn't what the movie said to you?

Plus, the "Jonathan Kent is not perfect" interpretation fits so much better in the rest of the film that if I had to guess I'd say it was the intentional one, supported by evidence like that one time when he was really emotional about not having a good answer and, or the time in the sequel that his ghost showed up and talked about the time he regretted a mistake he made and it haunted him for the rest of his life. I don't think those scenes got there by accident.

It is possible to recognize that a film is attempting to present a character in a certain light, while also recognizing it is failing to achieve that presentation. Just as it's possible to recognize someone is telling you a joke, but to not find the joke funny due to delivery, subject matter, etc.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Madkal posted:

I've never been hung up on the movie Bats body count thing. However, what does irk me whenever this subject comes up here is the disingenuous and bad faith takes of the various situations that completely ignore context and intent around the proceedings. In the situation you refer to, 3 people are hanging on for dear life with a guy about to shoot them even if they don't fall. Batman throws a bunch of coins to spoil the toss but that's hardly the same as, say shoving a soon-to-explode bomb in someone's pants, or opening up with Gatling guns and rockets at a bunch of goons.

Same with the Adam West 'kills' - he punches them and they immediately cease to exist because it turns out they were 'molecularly unstable', who the gently caress would have predicted that? Or when an exhausted and literally just shot Bale throws himself at an armed man who's about to shoot a child in the face - he's not thinking "Imma go waste that sucker", he's trying a last ditch Hail Mary to save a kid.

The way some folks paint such distorted pictures, you'd think all the live action Batmen just cruise around looking for ne'er-do-wells to strangle and/or riddle with bullets when that isn't the case at all, even with Affleck's Bats. The closest for it is Keaton, who comes across as completely insane at times.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
if i was facing imminent transfer to oz by tornado, i wouldn't be asking my super son to stay away. actually, if he didn't i'd come back to haunt him later as one of the biggest challenges of his career. we would probably reconcile, but it would be at least 2 issues.

so i've never really got that part. i might rewatch it, i was never paying full attention.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Say what you will about the Donner film, it's cheesy and goofy and silly, but I vastly prefer the way it handled the deaths of both of Superman's fathers.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't really know what Clark was supposed to have done anyway. He could have ran into the tornado to try and save his dad but he couldn't actually save him. He didn't have flight or superspeed at that point in his life. Jonathan's fate was sealed when he had Clark stay with the crowd.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Sentinel Red posted:

and/or riddle with bullets

Riddler: Riddle me this, Batman! Why does th-

*Batman revs up a gatling gun and turns Edward Nigma into chunky salsa with anti-personnel rounds in clear violation of the Geneva Convention*

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Quotey posted:

if i was facing imminent transfer to oz by tornado, i wouldn't be asking my super son to stay away. actually, if he didn't i'd come back to haunt him later as one of the biggest challenges of his career. we would probably reconcile, but it would be at least 2 issues.

so i've never really got that part. i might rewatch it, i was never paying full attention.

I've mentioned I'm pretty positive on Man of Steel, I'll go to bat for the "maybe" scene, but the tornado sequence was just weird. I think I get what Snyder was going for, but I'm not sure it's quite what came across.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think everyone gets the point of the tornado scene, but even as someone that likes the film that scene is terrible.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

I don't really know what Clark was supposed to have done anyway. He could have ran into the tornado to try and save his dad but he couldn't actually save him. He didn't have flight or superspeed at that point in his life. Jonathan's fate was sealed when he had Clark stay with the crowd.
If Clark couldn't have saved him, he wouldn't have needed to tell Clark not to save him.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Sentinel Red posted:

I've never been hung up on the movie Bats body count thing. However, what does irk me whenever this subject comes up here is the disingenuous and bad faith takes of the various situations that completely ignore context and intent around the proceedings. In the situation you refer to, 3 people are hanging on for dear life with a guy about to shoot them even if they don't fall. Batman throws a bunch of coins to spoil the toss but that's hardly the same as, say shoving a soon-to-explode bomb in someone's pants, or opening up with Gatling guns and rockets at a bunch of goons.

Definitely murdering a guy by taking advantage of his pathology is way better than a more general type murder. Huge difference.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

Say what you will about the Donner film, it's cheesy and goofy and silly, but I vastly prefer the way it handled the deaths of both of Superman's fathers.

The first Superman movie is the closest to a perfect Superman movie. The only things that stand out from memory are;

-Lois' freestyle poem when flying. Like, what the gently caress?
-Changing the rotation of the Earth to bring Lois back from the dead. I get what they were going for, but it's still a goofy thing that just raises questions of "Why doesn't he ALWAYS do that from now on?"

Honorable mention goes to that little girl being hit by her mom and having to assume Superman is just kinda fine with it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lol I never watched this movie holy poo poo what is this

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Jamesman posted:

The first Superman movie is the closest to a perfect Superman movie. The only things that stand out from memory are;

-Lois' freestyle poem when flying. Like, what the gently caress?
-Changing the rotation of the Earth to bring Lois back from the dead. I get what they were going for, but it's still a goofy thing that just raises questions of "Why doesn't he ALWAYS do that from now on?"

Honorable mention goes to that little girl being hit by her mom and having to assume Superman is just kinda fine with it.

You know I reckon the spinning earth thing really works if Superman: The Movie is a one and done. No sequels, no nothing. I know that's not how it was made. I know that's not how any of these super-hero films are made, now, then, or ever. But taken as a singular story I think the world spinning has a magical fairy tale quality.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The poem even has a kind of charming camp quality to it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Phylodox posted:

The heart attack is definitely important thematically, it's something Clark can't stop or save him from.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Shageletic posted:

Lol I never watched this movie holy poo poo what is this

Dark Knight Rises is really really bad.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gaz-L posted:

The poem even has a kind of charming camp quality to it.

Don't what came first, the song "Can You Read My Mind", which they then worked the lyrics into that scene, or did that scene come first, and they turned her monologue into the song.

But also, it was the 70s.

The film also has the best Superman suit :colbert:

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

theironjef posted:

Definitely murdering a guy by taking advantage of his pathology is way better than a more general type murder. Huge difference.

Yes, because one of those isn't murder, correct

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Jamesman posted:

That scene is such a massive special effects failure. He's not rotating the Earth -- he's not even touching it -- he's going so fast that he starts going back in time. But because all we see is the Earth rotating as Superman circles it, and especially because it slowly comes to a stop and then has to accelerate into going in the opposite direction, it looks like he physically stops the planet, turns it backwards, and that actually reverses time somehow. Cause and effect get all switched up.

Which, yes, the question of "why doesn't he ALWAYS do that" still applies if he can just time travel to fix his problems. The movie tries to head that off at the pass by having Jor-El pre-emptively declaring it forbidden, but still.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I saw that scene when I was 7 and I understood exactly what was happening so it blows my mind grown adults of the time and still to this day thought he was reversing the planets rotation

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I actually love the reversing time bit because it ties in thematically with:

Retro Futurist posted:

The heart attack is definitely important thematically, it's something Clark can't stop or save him from.

I unabashedly love that the climax of Superman: The Movie is someone Superman loves dying and there's nothing he can do about it, so his answer is "No, gently caress you, I'm Superman!" It's dopey and nonsensical, but who cares? gently caress you, he's Superman.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

TwoPair posted:

"On my planet the S stands for 'Sweet Sassy Molassy!'"

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

The last appearance of Pa Kent is him intently watching a young Clark wear a cape and play with the family dog, which to me says more that he was aware of his son's world-changing potential.

Hey wait so who exactly was Lil Clark pretending to be when he put on that cape?

My apologies if this already caused 50 pages worth of debate in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Splint Chesthair posted:

Hey wait so who exactly was Lil Clark pretending to be when he put on that cape?

Alan Scott

(serious answer, there were caped heroes before or seperate from 30s comics. Zorro, the three musketeers, green hornet, the shadow, the lone ranger, etc)

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 16, 2021