Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Communist Thoughts posted:

i got godspeed strike and it kinda broke the game balance and i havent played since, its making everything trivial

If it makes you feel better i heard the game eventually catches up to that balance and expects you to use the broken stuff. I currently spam Pressure Point which breaks default and does almost as much damage as a godspeed strike for 0 MP but I still had some tough boss battles, especially when they do stuff like counter your broken poo poo with other broken poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Yeah the endgame as I’ve experienced it so far fully expects you to exploit everything you can.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I actually like the counterattack mechanics... but I think they designed a lot of the monsters, bosses in particular, rather poorly. I think it's cool to have the occasional enemy that punishes you for specific strategies as a way to keep you on your toes and force you to switch it up and not be a one-trick pony. But near the end of the game especially, they got real lazy with that poo poo. There are some enemies that literally have stuff like "counter any ability". Come on, that's not forcing me to strategize differently, it's just punishing me arbitrarily. "Stop using abilities" is not something you can expect me to adopt as a counter-strategy. Really they should've kept the counter chance at 100% for each type of counter and used them more sparingly.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Ytlaya posted:

Something feels tonally strange about how loving awful the villains are in most of the earlier chapters (and maybe latter ones too, but I'm only at Chapter 4). Like the bad guys do stuff that is disturbingly brutal in a way that sort of clashes with a lot of the rest of the game's tone.

Like in chapter 3 Gladys is not even remotely a sympathetic figure; she's basically like a Sonderkommando except arguably worse.

I dunno, I kinda like the aspect of how the asterisks are distributed based on each recipient's needs and desires gone unmet, and twists those character traits to bring out the worst in them. I guess we never see that in the player characters because they're chosen by the crystals and are pure of heart or something.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I like how the late game optional fights have a lot of bosses that counter ability use by gaining BP. At that point it's like, you gotta play like they have full BP each time their turn comes up and plan around being able to survive that.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m beginning to think there are no good combos in Chapter 1.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Barehanded thief is real good

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Holy poo poo who designed the (endgame) D-Vergr fight? Who thought having a cloud of limitlessly spawning enemies constantly reset your ATB gauge was a good idea?

edit: Part of me thinks Red Mage + Arcanist is a pretty neat idea. But that was somewhat predicated on that not resulting in attacks dooming and charming your own party because of Nuisance.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 16, 2021

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Pollyanna posted:

Bare-Knuckle Brawler on a mastered Beastmaster, you’re welcome.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Bare-Knuckle Brawler on a mastered Beastmaster, you’re welcome.

Why that and not a weapon?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Barehanded thief is real good

Still haven’t beaten Thief yet. Also I guess we’re just going full spoilers on jobs now.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pollyanna posted:

Why that and not a weapon?

Because Bare Knuckle Brawler boosts all attack gains by 80%, including stuff like Flame Talismans, etc.

It's absurdly powerful early-game, especially with Monk's good attacking abilities.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Kyrosiris posted:

Because Bare Knuckle Brawler boosts all attack gains by 80%, including stuff like Flame Talismans, etc.

It's absurdly powerful early-game, especially with Monk's good attacking abilities.

Adding to this, bare-knuckle brawler boosts a character’s aim and attack power like crazy if their hands are empty, plus increases attack bonuses from armor/accessories by 80%. Less weight means they’re faster, as a bonus. Beastmaster’s second passive raises all of the character’s stats based on the total number of monsters you’ve caught. Combine that with Mow Down to mow down trash mobs or Martial Arts moves like Pressure Point to do massive damage on bosses.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I played an hour of bravely second and its wild how yew immediately has more going on and is a more entertaining protagonist in that hour then seth ever is

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I honestly like the entire series (ABout 20 hours into BD2, finished the other 2) but they are definitely not like... the top RPGs of all time or anything. I really like FF5 and these are the closest modern thing to FF5 so I play them.

Actually I haven't played Octopath Traveler yet; would people put that above or below BD2 strictly from a "Is like FF5" point of view

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Beastmaster by itself shits on most of chapter 1. Just catch monsters.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Actually I haven't played Octopath Traveler yet; would people put that above or below BD2 strictly from a "Is like FF5" point of view

Octopath is more like 2, 4, and 6.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

not the same at all

e: to elaborate it does not have the same kind of job system as 5 and the Bravely games. Each character has their own distinct job and eventually you will unlock sub-jobs where they can also get the skills of another job but they will always have "their" job as a base.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Also the music's better.

Not to say the music here is bad (and I'm fond of how they reuse motifs), but I've listened to the Octopath music outside of the context of the game. They even have a remix album.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hammer Bro. posted:

Also the music's better.

Not to say the music here is bad (and I'm fond of how they reuse motifs), but I've listened to the Octopath music outside of the context of the game. They even have a remix album.

I'd rank BD1 music above Octopath. For all related games I'd rank them something like this: BD1 > Octopath = BD2 > Bravely Second.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I honestly couldn't remember a single track in this game less than a week after playing it which is less than I can say for BD2 which has Magnolia's theme at the very least.

Neither get close to the amazing that is BD1 and Octopath though. The Asterisk theme from 1 and Decisive Battle 2 from Octopath are just incredible.

Oh and Love's Vagrant in BD1 is probably the best character theme I've heard in a game outside of maybe VII:R.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 16, 2021

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The thing I appreciated most about Octopath was that the final boss was the hardest enemy in the whole game. Very few JRPG’s do that anymore. You really have to work hard to beat it. It also reminded me of FFVI since you had to outfit all eight characters and split them into two teams, although the fight doesn’t play out the same way. That and the music. I hope the sequel figures out how to integrate the characters into each other’s story outside of pub chats.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
the 'next game' from the Octopath people is the Triangle Strategy project

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Junpei posted:

the 'next game' from the Octopath people is the Triangle Strategy project

They also said they were working on a sequel to Octopath Traveler but that it won’t be out for a while. I’m not sure if the same team is working on Project Triangle Strategy.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It amuses me that they deliberately made the working project name even worse than "Octopath Traveler" to avoid having their working name stick a second time.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Hammer Bro. posted:

Also the music's better.

I'm sorry what

Edit: Apparently it is this and it is very good:

https://open.spotify.com/album/3oSVKcKNPWG4ZZJ6BojMNg

Ragequit fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 16, 2021

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'm still in the early game (just got the bard) and i'm just wondering if there are any broken skill combinations to aim for just now?

I've just about got everyone to max level for freelancer to maximise the JP gain, so now i'm just looking for general broken combinations now.

Also, is forage the way to make money at the point? So far the stuff i've gotten back from it doesn't really sell for much from what i've seen. Am i just supposed to sit in a fight and spam it until i have 99 of the item to sell or something?

Oh and do the rewards from the idle ship thing scale? I've had a couple of 12 hour stints with it so far and the large EXP orbs have helped bump a character up a few levels but 10,000 exp probably isn't much from level 98 to 99.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Kin posted:

I'm still in the early game (just got the bard) and i'm just wondering if there are any broken skill combinations to aim for just now?

Not so much broken skill combinations at that point as there are just plain broken skills. I don't think you have any of them yet if you just got the bard, but you will soon.

quote:

I've just about got everyone to max level for freelancer to maximise the JP gain, so now i'm just looking for general broken combinations now.

Also, is forage the way to make money at the point? So far the stuff i've gotten back from it doesn't really sell for much from what i've seen. Am i just supposed to sit in a fight and spam it until i have 99 of the item to sell or something?

I've got like 60 hours clocked and I think I'm near the end of Chapter 5 and I have never needed nor felt the need to grind for money past the prologue, as long as you're not running away from like every fight you'll probably have all the money you need to get all the items / gear you need, and that will only increase the further along you go and the more battles pay out.

quote:

Oh and do the rewards from the idle ship thing scale? I've had a couple of 12 hour stints with it so far and the large EXP orbs have helped bump a character up a few levels but 10,000 exp probably isn't much from level 98 to 99.

It doesn't seem so, no. What you get seems to be luck of the draw.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
They absolutely should go with Triangle Strategy. It's a fantastic name.

Regarding BDII, I bought this at launch but haven't been able to put in a lot of time. I think I've done everything you can do in the Prologue though--mastered Freelancer on all four characters, then mastered the BM/WM/V jobs on all four, and then used the Freelancer stat boost to crush the two rare monsters for an Icebrand and Main-Gauche. I guess you could say I'm min-maxing, but it's really more like max-maxing. Time to actually start the game I guess.

The Freelancer stat boosts from mastered jobs is pretty intense. From a stats perspective, I'm having trouble figuring out why I'd want to do anything other than play Freelancer. I'm sure the job specialties will come in handy later on though.

I wasn't really sure how P/M Attack works with held weapons. Dual-wielding isn't purely additive though--maybe it takes an average of the two? One thing I noticed with Icebrand is that I can't wield any other weapon with it without lowering my P. Attack, but I can use a shield with it.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

raditts posted:

I dunno, I kinda like the aspect of how the asterisks are distributed based on each recipient's needs and desires gone unmet, and twists those character traits to bring out the worst in them. I guess we never see that in the player characters because they're chosen by the crystals and are pure of heart or something.

I mean, Glenn and Martha are right there in line before her and they are functional sane individuals, and dudes like Orpheus or Horten didn't actually need their asterisks to be fuckers. I think guys like Castor maybe were victims of their job but all I think it really gave them was the muscle to get away with being shitlords.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Caidin posted:

I mean, Glenn and Martha are right there in line before her and they are functional sane individuals, and dudes like Orpheus or Horten didn't actually need their asterisks to be fuckers. I think guys like Castor maybe were victims of their job but all I think it really gave them was the muscle to get away with being shitlords.

Glenn and Martha weren't given their asterisks by Edna though, Glenn got it from a former Warrior of Light and Martha got hers from... the dragon? I guess? And it seems they both earned them as a result of selflessness and using them to take care of and protect others (same with Elvis and his black mage asterisk, really.)

And Castor was absolutely a self-serving fucker on the level of Horten and Orpheus. I doubt Horten could kick rear end like he did without the Monk asterisk, and Orpheus was just a wandering hobo after he got booted out of Musa. They all wanted to snatch up power through treachery before they got the asterisks though, and the asterisks amplified that part of them.

The only other exceptions were Anihal (who just wanted to protect her animal friends) and Lonsdale (whose actions were honor bound)

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 16, 2021

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

It amuses me that they deliberately made the working project name even worse than "Octopath Traveler" to avoid having their working name stick a second time.

I for one am looking forward to Icosahedron Detective, the visual novel I'm sure they're working on in secret.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

raditts posted:

Glenn and Martha weren't given their asterisks by Edna though, Glenn got it from a former Warrior of Light and Martha got hers from... the dragon? I guess? And it seems they both earned them as a result of selflessness and using them to take care of and protect others (same with Elvis and his black mage asterisk, really.)

And Castor was absolutely a self-serving fucker on the level of Horten and Orpheus. I doubt Horten could kick rear end like he did without the Monk asterisk, and Orpheus was just a wandering hobo after he got booted out of Musa. They all wanted to snatch up power through treachery before they got the asterisks though, and the asterisks amplified that part of them.

The only other exceptions were Anihal (who just wanted to protect her animal friends) and Lonsdale (whose actions were honor bound)

I would count the Wiswald bosses as innocent outside the mastermind. Like they were pointedly and obviously manipulated by the paintings. I guess Galahads PROTECT short circuits could have been shield master talking but... honestly why did Lily even have an astrerisk? She wasn't involved in any paint production or guarding anything, she was just a threat to Folie's control over Roddy.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Caidin posted:

I would count the Wiswald bosses as innocent outside the mastermind. Like they were pointedly and obviously manipulated by the paintings. I guess Galahads PROTECT short circuits could have been shield master talking but... honestly why did Lily even have an astrerisk? She wasn't involved in any paint production or guarding anything, she was just a threat to Folie's control over Roddy.

she was guarding the forest where the kid got her yellow paint from

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Your Computer posted:

she was guarding the forest where the kid got her yellow paint from

There wasn't even anyone to guard it from! it was one of the many crystal grown forests that had sprung up recently-ish. Everyone was more concerned about the actual town, and only kinda.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Holy poo poo who designed the (endgame) D-Vergr fight? Who thought having a cloud of limitlessly spawning enemies constantly reset your ATB gauge was a good idea?

edit: Part of me thinks Red Mage + Arcanist is a pretty neat idea. But that was somewhat predicated on that not resulting in attacks dooming and charming your own party because of Nuisance.

As a heads up, ribbons are a thing in this game. The Cyclops field boss near Holograd has them as a drop (not a steal, the rare drop), and the optional boss in the snow graveyard that isn't the worm thing (you have to examine something; not sure when it unlocks) also lets you get ribbons (and other neat gear). You can combine them with a safety ring for immunity to death/doom as well.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Caidin posted:

There wasn't even anyone to guard it from! it was one of the many crystal grown forests that had sprung up recently-ish. Everyone was more concerned about the actual town, and only kinda.

She explicitly says She brainwashed lily to keep her away from her husband after she came snooping around when he first started going nuts. That way you get her out of the way and ensure and the supply of yellow paint isn't interrupted since she kind of ganks anyone venturing too far into the woods.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I'm not playing this, but I've got a friend who's really struggling with the Bravebearer fight. Is there a good strategy for it? iirc his struggle is with the boss constantly evading his attacks.

BearDrivingTruck fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 17, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I think the biggest knock against this game is that when you sit at the title screen for a while, nothing happens.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I'm not playing this, but I've got a friend who's really struggling with the Bravebearer fight. Is there a good strategy for it? iirc his struggle is with the boss constantly evading his attacks.

A bard / pictomancer will sort that by buffing accuracy or debuffing evasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Use the Berserker passive that makes physical attacks always hit but do backlash damage. It can't kill you, and you're using a cover tank anyways, so...