Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

watching boogiepop phantom (old one) and its good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012

thotsky posted:

I think the Japanese Miracle came about in the aftermath of WW3. As in, apparently the world overcame their fear of nuclear weapons and had a firefight with them, and only Japan had the technology to clean up the mess. Then they had a WW4 with no nuclear weapons... Seems backwards. Makes more sense for the technology to arrive and then have a nuclear exchange.

Guess all the nukes were used up. :shrug:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

bird. posted:

watching boogiepop phantom (old one) and its good

Hell yes OP

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

thotsky posted:

I think the Japanese Miracle came about in the aftermath of WW3. As in, apparently the world overcame their fear of nuclear weapons and had a firefight with them, and only Japan had the technology to clean up the mess. Then they had a WW4 with no nuclear weapons... Seems backwards. Makes more sense for the technology to arrive and then have a nuclear exchange.

I don't think it's worry about fallout that kept humanity from blowing itself up. At least I think the main picture in popular imagination was the mushroom cloud and everything being on fire.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

HerraS posted:

Why is everyone trying to gaslight me by saying kaguya is any good

That's because it is good op

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i tried to give new boogiepop a shot without having watched the old one

was that a mistake?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

HerraS posted:

wait how can you not like kaguya? Its the best comedy in ages

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

HerraS posted:

the funimation dub is awful solely because they miscast the narrator

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

HerraS posted:

sounds like someone didn't get confessed to

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah I have no idea how good the dub is, I don't listen to that garbage :cool:

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Tsundre Children is what I wanted from Kaguya in half the runtime

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

was that a mistake?

They're different stories kind of so it's not a big deal.
The first one definitely has a more deep thinking vibe than the newer one. At least that's how it came across to me.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Declan MacManus posted:

was that a mistake?
the new one is boring, there's no artistry to it, and the music is far worse

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

redsniper posted:

They did. They had a nuclear WW3 and then non nuclear WW4 in the sac continuity at least.

also you can buy black market nukes from the fuckin kuriles they're so common

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

redsniper posted:

Guess all the nukes were used up. :shrug:

It seems to me in SAC that “Non-nuclear WW4 aka the Second Vietnam War (lol Anime)” was the global north putting down a revolution by the global south. NATO invades Mexico and South America (we see a flashback with the Major, Ishikawa, and Saito in Mexico with some Americans and Canadians and we see a flashback with Batou in South America). There is also some kind of conflict in Asia where we see Kuze in a flashback that leads to the refuge crisis. Seems like there’s no nukes for the same reason America doesn’t nuke all the places we invade, the goal is maintaining imperialism,

Man what a great series. So many blink and you miss it details. E.g. The CIA are the ones pulling the strings during all of season 2 and pushed Goda to mastermind everything. You only find this out in a 15 second scene during the last few minutes of season 2.

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
I should really rewatch SAC as an adult. Maybe I'll finally understand what a standalone complex actually is. :v:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

redsniper posted:

I should really rewatch SAC as an adult. Maybe I'll finally understand what a standalone complex actually is. :v:

Put simply, collectivist action without direct collaboration. Like if a whole bunch of people copycat each other to accomplish some goal

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
a lot of the recent mass protest and maybe some of the events from the Arab spring seem to fit the bill

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

It's memes OP

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

Lol at taking a show where the jokes hinge on utter seriousness and high stakes and casting a bro who sounds like he's telling you about the time he got drunk and stubbed his toe

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

an actual dog posted:

Lol at taking a show where the jokes hinge on utter seriousness and high stakes and casting a bro who sounds like he's telling you about the time he got drunk and stubbed his toe

shoulda hired david wald

https://www.reddit.com/r/Animedubs/comments/ecwvze/watch_me_dub_david_wald_the_narrator_of_mr/

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

thotsky posted:

I don't remember if it's true for every GitS continuity but there's some maps showing that Beijing, Moscow, Washington and most of eastern Europe are simply not there anymore. America in general has a lot of new great lakes. So even if the world isn't permanently uninhabitable, the governments that survived that might have lost the taste for it.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Lmao this rules

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Rest of Vlad Love dropped

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Got the first HJI collection in the mail, pretty sweet sleeve

But the inside:

lol who gives a poo poo about the fight with Oda??? :cmon:

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
INCOMING MESSAGE FROM FLAVIUS AETASS:

quote:

[May I have some] anime series recommendations that me and my 9-year-old can enjoy if my absolute limit for cutesy/girly stuff is Rurouni Kenshin (which I like)

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

i have a perfect anime suggestion for a SA moderator :)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Koos Group posted:

Slayers.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Koos Group posted:

berserk

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
GITS:SAC

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Stairmaster posted:

I still haven't forgiven funi for the terrible english music covers in dragon ball super
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqYxCaQDt6c

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

K-On!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

violence jack

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Koos Group posted:

Depending on what they like, Gundam Unicorn, Haikyuu, Laid Back Camp, and My Hero Academia are all good shows that are appropriate for kids and aren't too girly.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Koos Group posted:

Lol oh no

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Neon Genesis Evangelion. Make sure he gets the original translation can't miss out on any of the homoeroticism.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Show him mobile suit gundam

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
You're never too young for Monster.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

either pokemon or serial experiments lain, idk it ain't my kid what do you want from me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It's important to instill a strong moral code from a young age. That's why I would immediately recommend Death Note if you haven't already done so.