Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

like most spielberg movies saving private ryan has the horrifying subtext of the entire mission being a really dumb public relations stunt that ends up being important for unrelated reasons the people in charge could not have possibly known and its genuinely unclear whether this was supposed to be an intentional irony since no one remembers that part

personally i like flags of our fathers best as a world war two flick as its centered entirely around how much it loving sucks to be a veteran but in a truly horrifying metaphor of the post 9/11 era it was largely dismissed as the bad half of letters from iwo jima which is literally an unironic propaganda film eulogizing the japanese empire via noble warrior orientalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Some Guy TT posted:

letters from iwo jima which is literally an unironic propaganda film eulogizing the japanese empire via noble warrior orientalism

lol wtf no its not? It actually humanises japanese soldiers as normal people defending their homes/family. Did you miss the part where all the emperor fanatic japanese are portrayed as suicidal idiots?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

gradenko_2000 posted:

that said, what was so bad about Red Tails? I never got to watch it

is that the George Lucas one? from what reviews I've seen it's completely hosed by overbearing cgi and terrible dialog. iirc the hack frauds at RLM made fun of it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

letters from iwo jima which is literally an unironic propaganda film eulogizing the japanese empire via noble warrior orientalism

my recollection of Letters from Iwo Jima was rather that the protagonist was NOT an oorah noble warrior samurai willing to lay down his life for DA EMPEROR and he just wants to get back home to his girl and his family except he's kind of trapped in an impossible position to ever be able to do that even after he realizes that he doesn't want to die

EDIT: I mean I guess you could still frame it as a pro-war movie by way of humanizing the Japanese, but it wasn't exactly promoting the more prevalent tropes about Japanese soldiers

gradenko_2000 has issued a correction as of 09:51 on Mar 16, 2021

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

thatfatkid posted:

lol wtf no its not? It actually humanises japanese soldiers as normal people defending their homes/family. Did you miss the part where all the emperor fanatic japanese are portrayed as suicidal idiots?

ive got some bad news about how most war propaganda movies pretend to be antiwar

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Some Guy TT posted:

ive got some bad news about how most war propaganda movies pretend to be antiwar

i didnt say it was an antiwar movie??? gradenko gets what i was saying

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

gradenko gets what im saying too and i dont think we really disagree that much sorry for my overly inflammatory language posting pals

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
i also apologise my friends :)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/karenyhan/status/1371438094528958467

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Some Guy TT posted:

like most spielberg movies saving private ryan has the horrifying subtext of the entire mission being a really dumb public relations stunt that ends up being important for unrelated reasons the people in charge could not have possibly known and its genuinely unclear whether this was supposed to be an intentional irony since no one remembers that part

Right. An entire squad dies so ... one man can live? The brass can tell a military family slightly less worse news? For public relations? It's like a purely executed trolley problem

Thinking about it now, SPR is pretty much in line with the tone of the US war memorial in Normandy, which just pummels you with the idea of heroism and sacrifice, elevating the troops to the level of cartoon superheroes

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

oh hey it's the proper thread for this thing i put together during a Stargate rewatch

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
We watched about half of Ted Lasso last night. The lack of cynicism was like a cool balm on my brow.

It’s also on Apple+ which means it’s almost impossible to see

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

FFT posted:

oh hey it's the proper thread for this thing i put together during a Stargate rewatch

remember how the woman who wrote that insanely racist episode of tng went on to write literally the same episode but racist against a different group for sg1 a decade later?? loving weird

Serf
May 5, 2011

i rewatched saving private ryan a few months ago and the most striking thing about it from a modern perspective is that there's not a single black soldier to be seen in that movie. like you don't even see an all-black squad driving by on a truck or anything. its bizarre

contrast that against the extremely medicore war/horror flick "overlord" that pretends racism isn't real and that the army wasn't segregated and manages to say absolutely nothing at all by doing so. like the entire opening of the movie the white soldiers are all pissed at their black squadmate and you think its because of racism, and then... its because he made a mistake back in boot camp that got them all extra pt. hilariously stupid

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Serf posted:

i rewatched saving private ryan a few months ago and the most striking thing about it from a modern perspective is that there's not a single black soldier to be seen in that movie. like you don't even see an all-black squad driving by on a truck or anything. its bizarre

contrast that against the extremely medicore war/horror flick "overlord" that pretends racism isn't real and that the army wasn't segregated and manages to say absolutely nothing at all by doing so. like the entire opening of the movie the white soldiers are all pissed at their black squadmate and you think its because of racism, and then... its because he made a mistake back in boot camp that got them all extra pt. hilariously stupid

how quickly we forget private vin diesel, murked by a random german sniper in the first hour

Serf
May 5, 2011

Aglet56 posted:

how quickly we forget private vin diesel, murked by a random german sniper in the first hour

lol

also

https://twitter.com/karenyhan/status/1371438094528958467?s=20

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Watch this 90s flick pulp fiction
Disturbed that no one is the lead

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Serf posted:

I didn't even realize black soldiers fought at normandy; I thought they were all assigned to build highways in alaska tbh

Serf
May 5, 2011

i say swears online posted:

I didn't even realize black soldiers fought at normandy; I thought they were all assigned to build highways in alaska tbh

while there were african-american soldiers at normandy, and the logistical support of the red ball express was mostly handled by black soldiers, i'm not referring to maintaining historical accuracy or anything like that. i'm just saying that nowadays the studios would at least insert some throwaway lip service scene with black soldiers to stave off accusations of racism or erasure. purely as a cynical move, nothing more that would actually address the contributions of african-americans to the war effort or the racist policy of segregation. overlord did the same thing and just sidestepped all historical context in the process

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that feels worse?? Iunno, I always thought it was dumb that generals wouldn't put black soldiers on the front line so they couldn't scoop up any "glory", and I'm asuming they ended up with a lower mortality rate. that point would probably make a good movie if handled well

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Normandy movies always focus on Omaha, or I guess the airborne landings, because those were the only ones with any kind of significant resistance from the Germans

A movie about Gold Juno Sword would be a lot of wading ashore in the face of defenses already flattened by shore bombardment, with tank support in place because the DD Shermans worked in that sector, and it's calm enough that the Brits start brewing tea right on the beach

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

neither Judas nor the Black Messiah is the lead in the feature film Judas and the Black Messiah

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

lol why the gently caress is borat nominated for that crap

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

vyelkin posted:

neither Judas nor the Black Messiah is the lead in the feature film Judas and the Black Messiah

And the Best Actor award goes to...Martin Sheen as J. Edgar Hoover in Judas and the Black Messiah.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
would be a real neat show of leadership and forward thinking if the FBI put out a statement condemning the Academy for snubbing both the guys who played Judas and the Black Messiah from Best Actor

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
It was Chris Hayes, of all people, who wrote a decent piece about the connection between Saving Private Ryan and Bush's War on Terror.
https://thenib.com/the-good-war/

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Some Guy TT posted:

Do you think Das Boot is Nazi apologia because it humanizes the crew? Letters is basically entirely about how evil and hosed the Japanese Empire was and how the protagonist has to spend more time surviving it than he does the Americans. The main antagonist of the film is his superior officer who tries to have him executed for not being fanatical enough, tries to force them all to commit suicide, and then hypocritically surrenders to the Americans to save his own skin. The whole theme of the movie is that "noble warrior orientalism" is a scam to sucker the grunts into dying for those at the top.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

why does cinemax have to put so much sex in their shows it makes it difficult for me as a warrior for christ to watch anthony starr beat people up in Banshee

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
that show loving rules. what a wild setting where black, Hispanic, nazi, Amish, and Native American gangs all live within spitting distance of a large covert military base

Serf
May 5, 2011

vyelkin posted:

clearly jesse plemons was the lead

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

indigi posted:

that show loving rules. what a wild setting where black, Hispanic, nazi, Amish, and Native American gangs all live within spitting distance of a large covert military base

wow thanks for the spoilers perish

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Serf posted:

clearly jesse plemons was the lead

ah yes, Pontius Pilate

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Serf posted:

while there were african-american soldiers at normandy, and the logistical support of the red ball express was mostly handled by black soldiers, i'm not referring to maintaining historical accuracy or anything like that. i'm just saying that nowadays the studios would at least insert some throwaway lip service scene with black soldiers to stave off accusations of racism or erasure. purely as a cynical move, nothing more that would actually address the contributions of african-americans to the war effort or the racist policy of segregation. overlord did the same thing and just sidestepped all historical context in the process

overlord is explicitly a throwback to pulp comics and 60s commando movies that never aimed for accuracy in any form

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

galagazombie posted:

Do you think Das Boot is Nazi apologia because it humanizes the crew? Letters is basically entirely about how evil and hosed the Japanese Empire was and how the protagonist has to spend more time surviving it than he does the Americans. The main antagonist of the film is his superior officer who tries to have him executed for not being fanatical enough, tries to force them all to commit suicide, and then hypocritically surrenders to the Americans to save his own skin. The whole theme of the movie is that "noble warrior orientalism" is a scam to sucker the grunts into dying for those at the top.

i agree that in the context of iwo jima itself its presented as a scam but the flashbacks give the definite impression that the imperial japanese culture used to be noble before it was ruined by the bad people making it closer to nazi apologism that the ideology was fine before hitler took it over than to a more generally humanizing approach like that of das boot

its a subtle distinction and my first post was phrased poorly in a way that did not make this clear its an ideological shift common with figures like hirohito who opposed the war with the united states being treated as far sighted moral figures rather than practical ones the lost cause ideology of the south in regards to the civil war is another similar kind of portrayal

Serf
May 5, 2011

Farm Frenzy posted:

overlord is explicitly a throwback to pulp comics and 60s commando movies that never aimed for accuracy in any form

i'm not asking for historical realism, i'm asking for the movie to say something

also it was boring as gently caress and squandered everything it had going for it

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

what movie are you talking about im lost

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Some Guy TT posted:

i agree that in the context of iwo jima itself its presented as a scam but the flashbacks give the definite impression that the imperial japanese culture used to be noble before it was ruined by the bad people making it closer to nazi apologism that the ideology was fine before hitler took it over than to a more generally humanizing approach like that of das boot

its a subtle distinction and my first post was phrased poorly in a way that did not make this clear its an ideological shift common with figures like hirohito who opposed the war with the united states being treated as far sighted moral figures rather than practical ones the lost cause ideology of the south in regards to the civil war is another similar kind of portrayal

Well yeah its a clint eastwood flick, of course it's gonna be fascist af.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

its cool how when anthony starr shows up to this small pennsylvania town the rape and murder rate almost immediately triple. the mans more cursed than jack bauer

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

I don't think you need specifically fash thought to get there. Mid-Meiji through early Showa was basically a speedrun of liberalism and its endgame even without a successful fascist movement, the actual historically-revanchist doctrinally anticapitalist right wing radical faction got their asses owned by the "competent" "trustworthy" bureaucratic class, who then considered their position shored up enough to launch WW2 fishing for more colonies. So unless you're willing to engage with red or colonial subject assessments that would be equally applicable to a hypothetical lib's fave great power of the era, you honestly are left with "system was fine, I mean Taisho Tokyo was basically the Weimar Berlin and Paris of the east combined with none of the war weariness, until the bad politicians were elected under that system and worked within it" (or, slightly more soberly and also very common, "system was fine until the army who thought they could pubstomp China got the political upper hand over the Navy who wanted to RP the katana-vs-broadsword copypasta against the RN/USN") rather than even "system was fine until the brownshirts couped".

Mandoric has issued a correction as of 03:45 on Mar 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mandoric posted:

I don't think you need specifically fash thought to get there. Mid-Meiji through early Showa was basically a speedrun of liberalism and its endgame even without a successful fascist movement, the actual historically-revanchist doctrinally anticapitalist right wing radical faction got their asses owned by the "competent" "trustworthy" bureaucratic class, who then considered their position shored up enough to launch WW2 fishing for more colonies. So you honestly are left with "system was fine, I mean Tokyo was basically the Weimar Berlin of the east, until the bad politicians were elected under that system and worked within it" (or, slightly more soberly and also very common, "system was fine until the army who thought they could pubstomp China got the political upper hand over the Navy who wanted to RP the katana-vs-broadsword copypasta against the RN/USN") rather than even "system was fine until the brownshirts couped".

There was a period known as Rule by Assassination.