Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

indigi posted:

someone spoil all of wandavisuon for me please

you know how some characters died in the movies? what if disney wanted to bring them back for new movies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Kenny Logins posted:

it's 350 minutes of thinly justifying wanda and vision getting new costumes for maximum toyeticism

it's closer to 200 minutes given there's like 11 minutes of credits on every episode

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

haveblue posted:

this part isn't really a spoiler any more: most of the show is structured as a series of sitcom parodies, starting at the very beginning with an I love lucy/dick van dyke episode and later doing bewitched, brady bunch, malcolm in the middle, etc. the A-plots are standard sitcom stuff but with tinges of weirdness that slowly break apart the world

it turns out wanda was unable to deal with her grief over vision dying in infinity war and at her nadir reflexively used her latent witchery to create a pocket universe in which she and him could live happily ever after in the sitcoms she had good memories of from childhood. she also resurrected vision in this world as a magical construct. this attracts the attention of a real experienced witch who snuck in to subvert and steal wanda's powers. they have a big witch fight, which wanda wins, and she gives up on her fake world and family to try to deal with it more healthily in the future. it also attracts the attention of shield sword; they send in their best agent who accidentally gets turns into a superhero. everyone gets cool new outfits. please get hype for captain marvel 2

this all sounds like it'd be real good if it wasn't dumb superhero poo poo.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

it looked to me like someone had a good idea to make a miniseries about grief through the lens of a superhero thing, and then it got all MCUed. it was okay in places, katheryn hahn is the best and they should make a movie starring her but they obviously won’t

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

NoneMoreNegative posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MLIcnua1is

tfw u are feeling extra In A Society

(Samsara is well worth a watch if you like visual spectacle art films)

I'm not trying to second guess the filmmakers or w/e but that scene so doesn't fit in with the rest of the film. (which i love)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i really liked baraka and samsara and got totally bored by koyaanisqatsi, probably because i watched the former 2 in a cinema and the latter at home. soundtrack for koyaanisqatsi absolutely whips though

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

jesus WEP posted:

it looked to me like someone had a good idea to make a miniseries about grief through the lens of a superhero thing, and then it got all MCUed.

yeah that's basically what happened. it also had the problem that the fans would glom onto every single zig and zag and assume it has MASSIVE IMPLICATIONS FOR THE ENTIRE MCU (actually it was a cute stunt casting meta joke) so of course in the end they were all much more disappointed than necessary

quote:

it was okay in places, katheryn hahn is the best and they should make a movie starring her but they obviously won’t

kathyrn hahn was also doc ock in spiderverse

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

jesus WEP posted:

i really liked baraka and samsara and got totally bored by koyaanisqatsi, probably because i watched the former 2 in a cinema and the latter at home. soundtrack for koyaanisqatsi absolutely whips though
phil glass ftmfw

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

yeah he’s great, i saw him live once accompanying patti smith, it was awesome

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this all sounds like it'd be real good if it wasn't dumb superhero poo poo.
the core concept in the middle third of it's a control/scp type anomaly and you see the inside and out of it and the people dealing/suffering from it is maybe not hyper new to sci-fi/horror heads but it was neat to see it given some effort in a mainstream disney-bucks backed treatment

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

duz posted:

you know how some characters died in the movies? what if disney wanted to bring them back for new movies?

it's comics, nobody ever permanently dies

except for uncle ben. and bucky, who they already resurrected once lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
hmm, Kathy Hahn is awesome. sounds like it was probably an ok watch but I don’t feel particularly compelled to seek it out

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

AAAAAALVIIIIIIN

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

jesus WEP posted:

yeah he’s great, i saw him live once accompanying patti smith, it was awesome
dang that rules. I got to see a Steve reich thing a few years ago. that was great.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

rotor posted:

AAAAAALVIIIIIIN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU-MYe0SL9Q

Would watch this gig in a local lovely rock bar.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Super hero poo poo sucks.

I'll take Batman 1989 and Batman Returns but after that I'm done.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

NoneMoreNegative posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU-MYe0SL9Q

Would watch this gig in a local lovely rock bar.

this has huge type o negative energy yeah lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

tk posted:

smh look at this Blade disliker

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FMguru posted:

phil glass ftmfw

knock knock.

who's there?

philip glass.

philip glass who?

philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

tk posted:

Jesus is the original superhero. Just don't get too deep into the eu stuff.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i watched a couple episodes of Resident Alien and it's just a regular dumb sci-fi channel sci-fi SyFy series with those sorts of plots and acting. but alan tudyk is absolutely lovely as an alien in a skin suit and it's worth watching just for him

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Jesus is the original superhero. Just don't get too deep into the eu stuff.

if you think about it the shia/sunni schism is a lot like dc versus marv-*is tackled and has the mic forcibly removed*

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the bahai faith is like those Amalgam comics from the 90s

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

turns out that Buddhism was correct and we are all trapped in a cycle of death and rebirth but the thing is its all because Wanda

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Sagebrush posted:

knock knock.

who's there?

philip glass.

philip glass who?

philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass. philip glass.

rotor posted:

turns out that Buddhism was correct and we are all trapped in a cycle of death and rebirth but the thing is its all because Wanda

philip glass? life is a circle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D--qSD01VRA

possibly my favourite sesame street anything

anyway i thoroughly enjoyed wandavision. i don't care about the mcu or that it had superheroes or whatever. i thought it was cute and clever and don't regret watching it so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's comics, nobody ever permanently dies

except for uncle ben. and bucky, who they already resurrected once lol

but it's seriooooouuuus cineeeemaaaa

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

indigi posted:

the bahai faith is like those Amalgam comics from the 90s

which faith is the one that resulted in each company having their own captain marvel

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

superhero poo poo is dumb as hell

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mediaphage posted:

anyway i thoroughly enjoyed wandavision. i don't care about the mcu or that it had superheroes or whatever. i thought it was cute and clever and don't regret watching it so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
yeah it was enjoyable but other shows have done the “hosed up superhero adventures as a metaphor for personal trauma” thing better imo. probably about as weird as disney would let a mcu show be

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

rotor posted:

superhero poo poo is dumb as hell

yeah but it can be fun. for instance, JLA 1,000,000

qirex posted:

yeah it was enjoyable but other shows have done the “hosed up superhero adventures as a metaphor for personal trauma” thing better imo. probably about as weird as disney would let a mcu show be

someone already mentioned Doom Patrol and Legion, I might even throw The Tick in there (although it's much more light hearted) (the Amazon version)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
legion is worth watching for aubrey plaza alone

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I enjoyed the Tick a lot, I just wish Patrick Warburton had signed on to do it. He is PERFECT for the role.

anyway when i said "superhero poo poo is dumb as hell" i meant when people take THEIR POWERS seriously. Like it's a fuckin metaphor, who cares about the details of their imaginary powers and whose would beat whose

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

still waiting on a superman movie where he beats bizarro to death while crying

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

haveblue posted:

legion is worth watching for aubrey plaza alone

a loving men

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

rotor posted:

I enjoyed the Tick a lot, I just wish Patrick Warburton had signed on to do it. He is PERFECT for the role.

anyway when i said "superhero poo poo is dumb as hell" i meant when people take THEIR POWERS seriously. Like it's a fuckin metaphor, who cares about the details of their imaginary powers and whose would beat whose

yeah but how is the Justice League going to defeat Solaris, the Tyrant Sun??

with a Sun-Eater, of course

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

legion was most excellent

i also liked doom patrol, tbh which manages to not take itself too seriously while still letting each of its characters deal with their own emotional baggage

they’re all different though and i don’t feel the need to compare them outside of saying here’s some comic book poo poo

while i’m on the subject though one of the worst superhero shows is the flash. he’s so bad. the lead is awful though i dunno how much is the actor and how much is the terrible writing

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 16, 2021

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

mediaphage posted:

legion was most excellent

i also liked doom patrol, tbh which manages to not take itself too seriously while still letting each of its characters deal with their own emotional baggage

i liked the grant morrison doom patrol. I always liked Exclamation Point - The Man Who Comes As No Surprise!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

rotor posted:

i liked the grant morrison doom patrol. I always liked Exclamation Point - The Man Who Comes As No Surprise!

haha. tbh i haven’t read a whole lot of them, maybe i should