Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Amorphous Abode posted:

Hi Steam Thread. Are there any good breakout style games on steam? More specifically, are there any good breakout/rpg hybrid games? I was thinking about Alphabounce, which was a DSi-ware title of all things which featured a whole open world starmap of procedurally generated breakout levels, and the map was scattered with various upgrades and equipment types, giving the game a wonky sense of progress. Was wondering if anyone has developed a game in that space since then. Would also be interested in any games that feature RPG progression and huge grid based maps of levels that do not feature traditional action game combat.

Heat Signature is a real-time with pause top-down heist game that kind of hits on a lot of stuff you mentioned. There's sort of a light "rogue" element to it where your characters can permanently die (or be imprisoned, where then they can be freed with a new character and played again) but there's also a lot of meta RPG progression and, like you described, a big starmap of levels, with a mix of some being procedurally generated and others being hand-designed. The structure is cool, it makes it so there's always SOMETHING you can do to progress, even if you're sick of banging your head against any one challenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Heat Signature is an excellent game and I wholeheartedly recommend it. It's one of my favourite "loving with people in hilarious and lethal ways" simulators.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Everhood is really cool and everyone should give it a go sooner or later. Note: It's not a rhythm game. It has lenient difficulty levels and you can change the difficulty level at any point during the game.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
everhood is very good! I keep having music from it pop into my head

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I went with the Switch version so I can't speak for specific port quality, but since it showed up on Steam recently-ish I have to say: I'm liking Disgaea 4 a lot more than 2 or 5. A few acts in, the characters and story aren't COMPLETELY insufferable (2) or forgettable (5). I did like 1 but it was pretty rough mechanically, so this is a nice happy medium.

If you don't find SARDINES and ALL IS FOR MY LORD and MY DREAM and Emizel in general to be insufferable, well, you're a much stronger person than I.

On the plus side, hopefully D3 never comes to PC.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The story in 5 is less quirky but it still has some funny gags and actual character growth for everyone in the cast, with some touching moments here and there (Such as whenChristo tries to tell Killia he's actually an angel before the final battle and Killia cuts him short by telling him that no matter what he's a member of the team.). I laughed a lot more with 4 than with 5 during the early chapters (about to begin Ch.4 in D4, fully finished D5 a few months ago) but I expect the constant catchphrases will get kinda tiresome. That said, I enjoyed the characters in 5 much more than the actual story, which is very meh. Final boss should've been Majorita instead of Dark Void, she's much more fun to hate. All that said, I really like Troy Baker's performance as Valvatorez, the VA in 5 is good but nothing amazing IMO.

Going from 5 to 4 is pretty rough in terms of mechanics, though. What do you mean I have to level up my guys all the way up to 1? Why is the Cam-Pain and Evil Symbols system so obfuscated? Why can't I see how close am I to the next Clinic reward? Why can't I throw diagonally???

Azran fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Mar 16, 2021

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Besides general Early access conccerns, does anyone know about Between the stars?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/727130/Between_the_Stars/

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

goferchan posted:

Heat Signature is a real-time with pause top-down heist game that kind of hits on a lot of stuff you mentioned. There's sort of a light "rogue" element to it where your characters can permanently die (or be imprisoned, where then they can be freed with a new character and played again) but there's also a lot of meta RPG progression and, like you described, a big starmap of levels, with a mix of some being procedurally generated and others being hand-designed. The structure is cool, it makes it so there's always SOMETHING you can do to progress, even if you're sick of banging your head against any one challenge

Not a lot of breaking blocks with a ball bounced off a paddle, though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

Besides general Early access conccerns, does anyone know about Between the stars?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/727130/Between_the_Stars/

Judging by this GIF it appears to be some sort of space smirking simulator.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The people making the new Dark Alliance game have apparently decided that the tone their pre-rendered trailer set is exactly the one they want to keep and uh, I'm kinda digging it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaobG3z18zg

It gives me War in the North vibes which is almost an objectively bad game but I had a ton of fun with and it's gotta be a real bad time for me not to enjoy a brawler so, gently caress it, let's go.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
War in the North kicked rear end. More co-op hack and slashes please.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Welp, I just went from being excited learning there’s going to be a new Dark Alliance game to being completely uninterested in about 30 seconds.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

chglcu posted:

Welp, I just went from being excited learning there’s going to be a new Dark Alliance game to being completely uninterested in about 30 seconds.
yeah I'm disappointed that they've gone with behind the back third person presentation. why are victor vran and console D3 the only games in existence that want to emulate the original dark alliance

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

This just makes me sad goddamn

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've gotten back into Vermintide 2 with my buds and man this game still rules. Chopping up rats never gets old, the trappings around the core gameplay felt lacking in Vermintide 2, like the crafting system was obtuse and loot was hard to come by when it first came out but revisiting it now after a few years and it feels like they improved on everything. Loot seems way more plentiful now, they added dailies/monthlys/challenges so you're always getting crates or tokens to buy cosmetics with but more importantly it just gives you goals to work towards when you're not entirely sure what you should be doing. Thinkin about buying some map packs while they're still on sale since the host is the only one who needs it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Can echo that. Vermintide 2 is a ton of fun. Nothing else really scratches that itch.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I'm lookin forward to Darktide too. Gotta love the carnage in these games

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

chglcu posted:

Having just finished Dark Alliance 1 and 2 over the past two weeks, I too am pretty sad now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's not even isometric so that it could look more like every cheap Destiny clone on the market nowadays.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
That gameplay looked incredibly bad and stiff, yeesh. I was kinda looking forward to a mindless dnd themed brawler but good lord that made the Avengers game look dynamic and interesting.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Azran posted:

Why can't I throw diagonally???

I assume you know, but: you can

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

explosivo posted:

I've gotten back into Vermintide 2 with my buds and man this game still rules. Chopping up rats never gets old, the trappings around the core gameplay felt lacking in Vermintide 2, like the crafting system was obtuse and loot was hard to come by when it first came out but revisiting it now after a few years and it feels like they improved on everything. Loot seems way more plentiful now, they added dailies/monthlys/challenges so you're always getting crates or tokens to buy cosmetics with but more importantly it just gives you goals to work towards when you're not entirely sure what you should be doing. Thinkin about buying some map packs while they're still on sale since the host is the only one who needs it.

I almost reinstalled Vermintide II last weekend! I don't have any of the DLC and honestly the poor reviews on those pushed me away. Might just bite the bullet since they're all on sale.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Since it was mentioned recently in the thread: the Warhammer Inquisitor Martyr game is on sale at the moment, 75% off (and they have a bundle with all the dlc and such). I'm in a top-down ARPG mood so I was planning on picking this up since it was recommended and looks unique, but I wasn't sure since I haven't heard much else and it seemed a bit mixed for initial reviews. Any more impressions on this?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

exquisite tea posted:

It's not even isometric so that it could look more like every cheap Destiny clone on the market nowadays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H_zB_csVAw

I guess at one point it was a legit BG:DA game with 2021 polish. Then they decided nah gently caress that we need more edge.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It’s severely okay. Your gear is what determines your active skills, but it’s the only thing that determines your active skills, so that gets a bit dull.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Loop Hero PSA: place rivers like this to get the full 16x bonus.

Not sure if this is common knowledge but most of the guides out there just have straight lines or slightly squiggly ones.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

kirbysuperstar posted:

If you don't find SARDINES and ALL IS FOR MY LORD and MY DREAM and Emizel in general to be insufferable, well, you're a much stronger person than I.

On the plus side, hopefully D3 never comes to PC.

You bring up Emizel, but not Desco? Emizel at least turns out to be a pretty good spellcaster. :B

For gameplay's sake it's mandatory that the plot progression be "we need to punch our way to the top", but the way the characters play off each other is what's been making or breaking it for me, and constantly bringing up sardines or dreams and etc. is secondary to what can be relatable character motivations. In 4, almost everyone's plight falls under the umbrella of "various unfortunate circumstances brought about by degradation of the underworld leadership", which... yeah. (There's even a pandemic chapter!) Valvatorez wants to keep his promises and Fenrich plays off of him well, kind of underhanded in how he keeps him focused on-task but never in a way that feels out-and-out malicious. Admittedly the others are kinda just there, for the most part, but they give Val more of a sense of coming into his role as a leader.

In 2 I play as some brainless oaf who wants to save his family of jerks and is accompanied by a genderswapped Dan Backslide. Rozalin for at least the first 2 chapters in a nutshell: "I'LL GET HIM KILLED!! NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW!!!" Also some frog calls him Napoleon Bonerhard. It's not just the main character's obliviousness or Roz's extremely unsubtle attempts at backstabbing, it's the fact that the plot goes absolutely nowhere for those first two chapters. She leads you off on a wild goose chase, you don't get killed, you come back home, repeat. And now the frog is her new wannabe murder collaborator. Oh boy I wonder what's gonna happen next chapter. I hate all of these people.

I hit a similar stopping point with Mario & Luigi Dream Team, actually, where the most torturously prolonged dream sequence yet was (unsubtly) a giant ruse with no purpose other than to be a setback. If you're going to pull that poo poo, you need to either make it an actual surprise, or at least get it out of the way and be done with it, don't make me waste 4-20 hours of my time on what the game is blatantly foreshadowing is going to be a complete waste of my time.

John Lee posted:

I assume you know, but: you can

idk if the in-between exploit really counts when it can just as easily cause you to accidentally throw in a direction you didn't want to.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

goferchan posted:

Sorry but Heat Signature is a break IN game, which is the opposite of what I'm looking for.
(j/k, heat signature is very good, I should pick it up again.)

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Amorphous Abode posted:

Sorry but Heat Signature is a break IN game, which is the opposite of what I'm looking for.
(j/k, heat signature is very good, I should pick it up again.)

You'll find that the best break out, brick-busting game around is a Mole-only run of Monaco.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
i mean if you're not breaking (windows to hurl people) out (into the cold void of space and possibly following them yourself only to get picked up by your ship with 1s of oxygen left) then you're playing it wrong.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Propaganda Hour posted:

I almost reinstalled Vermintide II last weekend! I don't have any of the DLC and honestly the poor reviews on those pushed me away. Might just bite the bullet since they're all on sale.

Yeah the reviews are bad but it seems like it's just people complaining about them charging for new maps mostly. Figured I'll give the $5 packs on sale a try just to give us fresh new levels to play instead of repeating the same ones we already played.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Amorphous Abode posted:

Hi Steam Thread. Are there any good breakout style games on steam? More specifically, are there any good breakout/rpg hybrid games? I was thinking about Alphabounce, which was a DSi-ware title of all things which featured a whole open world starmap of procedurally generated breakout levels, and the map was scattered with various upgrades and equipment types, giving the game a wonky sense of progress. Was wondering if anyone has developed a game in that space since then. Would also be interested in any games that feature RPG progression and huge grid based maps of levels that do not feature traditional action game combat.

I was going to suggest Ricochet Lost Worlds / Infinity, but then realized they'd been removed from Steam .. 7 years ago. Shame. They're fun games and really need a modern reboot.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Weird, looks like THQ Nordic/Embracer dug up Stubbs the Zombie. It was okay back when it came out, wonder if it holds up at all kinda doubt it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Mr. Locke posted:

You'll find that the best break out, brick-busting game around is a Mole-only run of Monaco.

What a weird game Monaco was. I always felt like I was playing it totally wrong, but I was never challenged in any meaningful way, either. Kinda just a game about walking up in places, stealing a thing, and walking out.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

What a weird game Monaco was. I always felt like I was playing it totally wrong, but I was never challenged in any meaningful way, either. Kinda just a game about walking up in places, stealing a thing, and walking out.

In my experience, the more the character can ignore the basic mechanics of the game, the easier the game is. The Mole and the Gentleman are basically cheating while the Hacker or the Locksmith are basically hard mode.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Hub Cat posted:

Weird, looks like THQ Nordic/Embracer dug up Stubbs the Zombie. It was okay back when it came out, wonder if it holds up at all kinda doubt it.

i enjoyed it as a kid, mostly because I found the idea of converting ppl into zombies and eventually leading a horde to take down a city was compelling. The game wasnt as epic as that idea, but it was fun for what it was

Its unfortunate that we never got any zombie games about that side of the equation, seems like a huge missed opportunity

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i enjoyed it as a kid, mostly because I found the idea of converting ppl into zombies and eventually leading a horde to take down a city was compelling. The game wasnt as epic as that idea, but it was fun for what it was

Its unfortunate that we never got any zombie games about that side of the equation, seems like a huge missed opportunity

Middle Earth: Shadow of War? :shobon:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Morter posted:

Middle Earth: Shadow of War? :shobon:

ya, that and MGSV are pretty close to what I want, but I still would like an explicitly zombie take on that concept.

I remember playing those really old flash or java top-down games where you're a blue dot going around a city full of civilian white dots and a few zombie green dots. Each time a green dot would touch a white dot, it would convert it to another green dot. The goal was to save as many people as possible before the whole map was overrun with zombies. Something like that, but from the other side, and obviously with modern graphics and mechanics, would be a lot of fun imo

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Zombie Night Terror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Mech hero shooter Galahad 3093 (which will perpetually make me think of Cleopatra 2525) is doing another test period on Steam in a bit here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4hudbxnz7E

If hero shooter turns you off, that side of it is fairly light on the ground and the game is much stronger on the Hawken vibes which I know at least some of our regulars in here will perk up at. Also with the larger matches than any other hero shooter or Hawken and the bigger maps, it's got a tiny bit of Tribes going on? I always dread invoking Tribes cause it always ends up bad but it's in there.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1117350/GALAHAD_3093/ Request access on the Steam page gets you guaranteed test entry

Orv fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 16, 2021