Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

flatluigi posted:

people keep saying cody is basically triple h but seriously the only time i can think of that he's gone over anyone is the tnt belt for the inaugural 'show off a bunch of indie people before dropping it' run and every other feud he's been in he's come out on bottom

even stuff he really should've gone over in like with MJF

I don't think I agree that Cody should have won against MJF, but yes Cody being like HHH is more of a meme than an actual thing reasonable people think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I get the sense that Cody is the kind of person who loves it when his favorite character in a story dies, and wants to recreate that emotion for his fans as much as possible.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Alright everyone shut the hell up with this nonsense;

Cody literally played the stand-in for HHH in that ladder match at Revolution. Like, that was the finish. IT WAS RIGHT THERE.

Outside of that match, I'm 50/50 on him. I will always like Cody more than I dislike him (how the hell could anyone make Stardust work even slightly), but his matches are a coin toss to me.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I feel like Cody is so much more self-aware than HHH, he knows he gets that same reaction that Triple H did bordering on go-away heat and then he doesn't go all the way with it. It works for me. Like, the HHH thing at Revolution made me absolutely not want to see him win. And then he didn't.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Cody is self-aware Triple H, in that he knows outwardly projecting an air of self-awareness and losing on PPVs will allow him to get away with his cartoonish self-indulgence among fans who would normally detest that poo poo

I appreciate Cody, because without that cartoonish self-indulgence he would just be another nerdy wrestler whose character is "likes wrestling and video games." But it is very funny to see people still going "He knows what he's doing, he does the over the top stuff just to get reactions, wouldn't be surprised if he turned heel eventually" when the man is doing pretapes for pregnancy announcements and pyro for gender reveals on national TV.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Pylons posted:

I feel like Cody is so much more self-aware than HHH, he knows he gets that same reaction that Triple H did bordering on go-away heat and then he doesn't go all the way with it. It works for me. Like, the HHH thing at Revolution made me absolutely not want to see him win. And then he didn't.

This. If it was HHH in that spot he would have won the ladder match and then cut a thirty minute promo about being THE GAME-UH.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Pylons posted:

Right, that's the kind of stuff that I go back to – HHH in that situation would have won the ladder match and then the TNT Title. Cody at least knows enough to go just so far then fade into something else.

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

Until Triple H moonsaults off a steel cage, I refuse to see the connection

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Cody's not like Triple H at all.

What he's like, what he's always tried to be like, is Dusty Rhodes. Win a lot, lose to the big guys, elevate the boys, have the most emotional match on the card and treat it like the main event even if you're on first, bleed like a motherfucker. He's his father's son.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The problem being he tapped into something raw emotionally when he made the text of his start in AEW "you know Hunter Hearst Helmsly? gently caress that guy, lol," because people aren't going realize that the first impression was a joke and just read the text and go "oh so this is who you are, this is your character in the commedia dell'arte that is the wwf brainworms and what is to be expected of wrestling.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

karmicknight posted:

The problem being he tapped into something raw emotionally when he made the text of his start in AEW "you know Hunter Hearst Helmsly? gently caress that guy, lol," because people aren't going realize that the first impression was a joke and just read the text and go "oh so this is who you are, this is your character in the commedia dell'arte that is the wwf brainworms and what is to be expected of wrestling.

Oh, I know he was joking, the problem is when you do the same joke over and over, at a certain point it stops being irony and you're just doing the thing. If I'm being a little more nuanced, I think there's a definite argument that a lot of those tendencies come from both Hunter and Cody having the same influences, being late 80s Dusty and Flair.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If Cody was full on HHH, he would lose a match to someone whose entire character arc revolves around putting him down as old and past his prime, and would then cut a lazy promo getting the nightmare family back together so that the thrill of the other guy's win is instantly invalidated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCl39yWiBbU

Did I seriously never forget 2009?

poo poo, I never forgot 2009.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, I know he was joking, the problem is when you do the same joke over and over, at a certain point it stops being irony and you're just doing the thing. If I'm being a little more nuanced, I think there's a definite argument that a lot of those tendencies come from both Hunter and Cody having the same influences, being late 80s Dusty and Flair.

Hunter was his first reference and he made two jokes about it, everything else has been people's brains artificially creating a pattern. That is my point. It has not been the same joke over and over again, Cody is just extra as gently caress.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Lamuella posted:

Cody's not like Triple H at all.
He has some commonalities and he sure loving loves the "overbooked longest match on the card but not the main" trick.

The main thing is he's far more cunning than Triple H. And I think actually good in the office and good at reading signs, where HHH and NXT are so loving lol.

I honestly don't even know if Cody would go heel to win big plat at this stage. But then they seem to be planning around long, long careers with some part time moving forward. So maybe we'll look back on Cody in ten years with way different opinions.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

To me it's less about wins than the sheer amount of time and focus he takes up on a show that's often starved for both. It's certainly not a dealbreaker and he cuts very good promos but I feel like the time taken up by his entrance alone could be better used elsewhere.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Yeah, Cody is extra as gently caress and some of those should be trimmed away for the benefit of more [thing I like]

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Shinjobi posted:

If Cody was full on HHH, he would lose a match to someone whose entire character arc revolves around putting him down as old and past his prime, and would then cut a lazy promo getting the nightmare family back together so that the thrill of the other guy's win is instantly invalidated.

Cody hasn't been management long enough for any of these HHH comparisons to make sense. His matches are also way less boring on average.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
like, the bad thing about HHH is that he always went over. he'd set himself up against someone who people wanted to see more from, he'd go through the feud and make you want to see him have a comeuppance, and then when the final moment happened and it was time for it to happen.... he'd go over anyway and the person he was up against just had to gently caress off

if HHH ever loving let anyone go over EVER it wouldn't have been such a godawful, tiring pattern and you could at least wonder if this was the time he'd lose it all, but that was just never in question and that's why he sucks

cody clearly isn't trying to do that and is distancing himself from it so much that it's comical (seriously, you have that long feud with MJF and end it there?)

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I like Cody, but by now I recognize that comes with me having to just say "Ok fine" every once in a while. The only time he's gone over when I don't think he really should have was Lance and that turned into something pretty great.

But when he does a big pyro gender reveal, it's just...fine Cody. Fine. That's not the worst thing. The Rock is my favorite wrestler ever and even I can't defend Cookiepuss.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
cody’s ego annoys me but this is wrestling and i like bret hart so

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Cody is a Triple H who doesn't suck and has a much better sense of who he is and knows to not indulge the bad ideas or the ego too much. He's the Gallant to HHH's Goofus.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Hunter Hearst Helmsley isn't an archetype, he's just some annoying piece of poo poo.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

karmicknight posted:

Hunter Hearst Helmsley isn't an archetype, he's just some annoying piece of poo poo.

He really wants to be one though, he's a huge Unknown Armies fan.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
To be fair to Cody when his shtick annoyed me, I realize they were probably chasing ratings when they had him and OC throw down the times they did.

OC didn't need those matches though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To bring it back on topic a bit, I do think Tony, Cody or whoever need to really think about if these YouTube shows need to be 2 and a half hours long every week and feature a billion matches. It's OK for some matches to not be aired and be just for the people in the building. It might even be more helpful because you could have Dustin or QT or even someone like Christian out there to do sideline coaching for the rookies.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Dark can be whatever length they want it to be as it's the dark match bucket. But Dark Elevation, which is more of a produced show, should be a tighter and better defined length. And it needs titles.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
It really doesn't need titles.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

The titles wouldnt mean much, so its better not to have them

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

karmicknight posted:

It really doesn't need titles.

Let me clarify: opening titles, not championships. I just don't like the cold open.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
That said, I think it'd be neat if the TNT or Tag Titles were defended on Elevation once in a blue moon, kinda like how you'd get a defense of a secondary title on Heat every so often

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Lamuella posted:

Let me clarify: opening titles, not championships. I just don't like the cold open.

Ok, yeah, that is correct.

Barry Bluejeans posted:

That said, I think it'd be neat if the TNT or Tag Titles were defended on Elevation once in a blue moon, kinda like how you'd get a defense of a secondary title on Heat every so often

The TNT belt should not be defended on Elevation.

The only belt secondary enough to be defended there would be Big Plat.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The titles should be present as the thing the up and comers are being elevated toward, with stuff like moving up the card / rankings and winning title matches on Dynamite. Which I think they were doing on Dark, but more definitively, like #1 contenders matches and the like during the post-ppv feuds.

Oh also defending the rankings. Like if PAC is #1 he has to face the #2 on elevation. They probably lose, but look great, and there's story.

Halverine
May 26, 2004

Endsay ookhay

Lamuella posted:

I found that weird too, so much so that I thought I had clicked the wrong video. No fanfare about the first Elevation show, not even a walk out shot of Paul Wight joining the desk or anything.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Actually, here's my simple argument for Elevation and Dark:

maybe with enough time some of the shittier camera work issues will be resolved

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
I see Cody more as a 90's Tommy Dreamer figure than Triple H. He's sort of the standard bearer for the company but at the end of the day he generally comes up sort. There are a lot of moral victories, but lots of actual losses.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

A one-hour show wherein Tony Schiavone calmly yet firmly explains to me all the weeks AEW happenings just prior to Dynamite would not go amiss. All of it Dark, Dark 2, Sammy's Vlog, whatever the gently caress Kenny is doing in TNA, everything.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Royal Updog posted:

A one-hour show wherein Tony Schiavone calmly yet firmly explains to me all the weeks AEW happenings just prior to Dynamite would not go amiss. All of it Dark, Dark 2, Sammy's Vlog, whatever the gently caress Kenny is doing in TNA, everything.

Just summarize it in a crawl at the bottom of the screen that runs the full length of Synamite.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Cody gets the HHH comparison because he's a booker who books himself. It really ends there though, because he keeps himself at a midcard gatekeeper level, puts people over regularly, and isn't deathly afraid of looking weak or vulnerable.

Hell, dude booked himself to lose an intergender match with a retired basketball celebrity which was actually a stealth vehicle to get two women over.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Cody is the styling himself as the example and shepard for newer talent who need to learn things the old-school way. What I'm saying is that he's directly challenging Suzuki-Gun so he should battle Minoru while QT fights Taichi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Cody is the styling himself as the example and shepard for newer talent who need to learn things the old-school way. What I'm saying is that he's directly challenging Suzuki-Gun so he should battle Minoru while QT fights Taichi

QT stops mid-match to try and show Taichi how to do a less dogshit Kawada kick. Taichi refuses to learn.