Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
WHAT?

quote:

On February 24, 2021, AEW announced that a new spinoff of Dark would premiere on Monday, March 15 titled AEW Dark: Elevation. This will be the promotion's third weekly program, and will stream on Monday nights at 7pm ET, on AEW's YouTube channel. Elevation will feature the promotion's established and rising stars, as well as top independent wrestlers from the independent circuit. Like Dark, matches on the new program will also maintain storyline continuity and match statistics with AEW's other programming. New signee and wrestling veteran Paul Wight, formerly known as the Big Show in WWE, was announced to be doing commentary for Elevation alongside Tony Schiavone.

The Tall Paul & Tony Podcast begins airing Mondays at 7PM on AEW's YouTube Channel, which can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFN4JkGP_bVhAdBsoV9xftA

The inaugural show features a stacked card/main event:

Card:

This will be a megathread for the program week to week, unless the format and interest in the show ends up warranting a GDT and discussion component, or some other configuration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Can’t wait for the Dark card to drop only for us to learn Tony’s been making the roster wrestle non-stop since Dynamite went off the air.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyc0sAu5NkI&t=10s

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

If anyone was like me and not super excited for Tall Paul announcing listen to him on Renee's pod. It has been a dream of his a long time and I guess I forgot the dude's range, but he sounds really into it.

Him and Tony should be excellent.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

can't wait!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm interested to see how this show is going to differentiate between itself and Dark, and what Dark is going to be once Elevation establishes itself. It feels like they might be going for a pre-brand NXT-when-it-was-good vibe, and then I guess OG Dark is full jobber city.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

I'm interested to see how this show is going to differentiate between itself and Dark, and what Dark is going to be once Elevation establishes itself. It feels like they might be going for a pre-brand NXT-when-it-was-good vibe, and then I guess OG Dark is full jobber city.

I assume when the pandemic is over dark goes back to just being the literal dark matches before shows while elevation becomes their original concept of NXT style thing.

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
My issue with most of AEW Dark is that most matches I already know who is winning from the matchup screen.

I’m hopeful for more matches where either side could be victorious.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
what the gently caress.

how did I not see this thread once.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Dark is super predictable but the predictability is what makes the low-stakes of it and the podcast-like commentary wprk. I'm sure it'll change eventually but it doesn't bother me since indie wrestlers are getting desperately needed work.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Tis monday, my dudes

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

They license this as the music? Just take out the Ospreay chants and replace them with "Tall Paul" chants.

https://youtu.be/68xRsrBCQoM

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Spiderdrake posted:

If anyone was like me and not super excited for Tall Paul announcing listen to him on Renee's pod. It has been a dream of his a long time and I guess I forgot the dude's range, but he sounds really into it.

I hope they're good and have fun together. I know it'll take awhile to settle into a real groove like Taz and Excalibur have, but it'd be real cool for Big Show to get a second lease on life in wrestling doing commentary.

I felt like on the last couple Dynamites, Tony was trying to call things a little more as he's preparing to take the lead on this show and sometimes it was very cute, because he'd call a move in a questioning way and wait for Excalibur to confirm. "That's like a...headlock takeover?"

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Some commentators come off like they love their jobs (ex, schavoinne) and some sound like they hate their jobs (cole, striker).

Paul enjoys commenting, he should be great.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

i believe that maki itoh will win

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
She will win people's hearts, but lose the match.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
She's going to lose the match when the Joker brings out a casket covered in legos and she is thrown into it by Riho and then put into a crate with labelled for international shipping to Japan.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

karmicknight posted:

She's going to lose the match when the Joker brings out a casket covered in legos and she is thrown into it by Riho and then put into a crate with labelled for international shipping to Japan.

...that'd be awesome

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Smarxist did you watch the DDT show from this weekend, because I did not pull that image from thin air.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

What does the Joker look like in DDT?

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Mr. Squishy posted:

What does the Joker look like in DDT?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

That was a great podcast.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

holy poo poo

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
DDT is good.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I will miss the first hour due to work.

Predict here if I miss something good.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
30 MINUTES BAYBEE

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Stayin' up late to livepost, hyped for Main Event Maki and the broadcast debut of Tall Paul

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
ITS GO TIME!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4cbuWQFcJU

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Consuming a lot of AEW content this week.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Hello chill count down music

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Wouldn't be a Dark without some weird sad surf postrock! Hell yeah!

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

neoaxd posted:

Wouldn't be a Dark without some weird sad surf postrock! Hell yeah!

Today Alvarez said the average AEW fan is 47 years old

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Flags!!?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
The radioactive...poppy?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

THE RADIOACTIVE PAPI

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
FLAGS

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
No intro, probably for the best as we're looking at a seven hour wrestling show

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

The radioactive puppy?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

StarkRavingMad posted:

The radioactive...poppy?

No she's working with WWE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Alaois posted: