Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

lol just remembered I lost a gameboy in primary school, it got handed into lost and found so i proved to the lady that it was mine by accurately describing the opening cut scene of Links Awakening

I wouldn't give it to you unless you could name every save file. Just guessing "Thief" isn't going to cut it with THIS lost and found warden, nice try!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

JollyBoyJohn posted:

lol just remembered I lost a gameboy in primary school, it got handed into lost and found so i proved to the lady that it was mine by accurately describing the opening cut scene of Links Awakening

I'm impressed some other kid didn't just steal it tbh

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

dr.acula posted:

I would love to see someone try to take something I'm protective of out of my (hypothetically big enough for a switch) front pocket. A bag I can see myself just forgetting somewhere like an idiot or just having it scooped up if I put it down and turn my eye for a second.

*monkey's paw curls a finger*

Seriously, pro pickpockets can drat near get your underwear off. They wait until you've got your weight shifted just right.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Morpheus posted:

Gnosia just updated to describe Raqio as a non-binary character who was assigned a male gender at birth, rather than one who 'is, technically, a male' (the old translation) which is pretty cool of them to do.

Also the game's really interesting, and due to its length per run is my game of choice in the twenty-or-so minutes I have while I'm eating breakfast, before logging into my remote work.

That's good. I was wondering how people took that language when I read it. Most of the Raquio stuff has been pretty well done but that particular line in the data log did give me the initial "you could have said that way better" feeling.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Marx Headroom posted:

That thing was ahead of its time. Pause + Resume feature, Bluetooth, onboard flash memory, the works. Only real downside is the slidey bit gets loose over the years.

I remember being intrigued by the Go years ago but the PSP just didn't have many games I wanted at the time. Even now most of my games on my PSP 1000 are emulators and PS1 games.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
For some reason I was thinking about this video today and also it's 14 years old ugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Whoever was in charge of Sony's marketing department back in the mid-2000's must have been on like 5 different drugs.

Remember the ads about squirrels who wanted nuts?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

hatty posted:

The micro was and is cool and I’ll defend it until I get tired and stop
:hmmyes:

Probably would’ve been better with a solid front (rather than swappable faceplates) but otherwise it’s like the most solidly constructed thing they’ve ever made. And had one of the best d-pads (despite the size), it’s been all downhill since then.

DemoneeHo posted:

Whoever was in charge of Sony's marketing department back in the mid-2000's must have been on like 5 different drugs.

Remember the ads about squirrels who wanted nuts?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I always found it interesting how Sony essentially tried to relaunch the PSP in 2009 not only with the PSP Go but a stream of hits games from them and third parties. Yet for some reason it failed spectacularly. I assume because the handheld gaming to phone gaming transitions was beginning.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its mostly because their games sucked and they kept trying to make console quality PSP games that had 2 minute load times

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Chaotic Flame posted:

Is there a Gnosia thread? I've been enjoying reading people's experiences on different loops

Don't think so but there probably should be, game seems cool enough to deserve its own thread. Hell, I've been tempted to get the game based on the reactions in this thread.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I assume because the handheld gaming to phone gaming transitions was beginning.

Yeah nintendo only managed to sell *checks notes* 52 million DS and 75 million 3DS consoles after then

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

homeless snail posted:

Its mostly because their games sucked and they kept trying to make console quality PSP games that had 2 minute load times

I mean the games got good reviews. Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny, Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker, Gran Turismo, Patapon 2, God of War: Ghost of Sparda, etc. So I assumed they were appealing.

That said, as a previous PSP owner, I kind of agree with you. The PSP had tons of well reviewed games but I didn't enjoy any of them besides Darkstalkers. Metal Gear for example was boring and bad. Socom was horrendous. The worst Ys games in the series. Daxter was just like "okay". The system really did seem to suffer from "Sega Syndrome", but maybe that's just me. In contrast the Nintendo DS titles I tended to prefer to their console counterparts.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I think Nintendo's IPs that they have in some cases spent 30+ years cultivating fan bases for , plus that they put out good games for these IPs are what give them the edge over mobile and did over Sonys portables.

Sony would have to line up a dozen or more (spread out over a few years) hit portable only games from their biggest IPs to compete. If they are mearly ok and/or going to be on the PS5 (or multiplat) then it would be doomed.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

External Organs posted:

All the nerd talk about future switches is interesting but also worrying because it sounds like they may need to change architecture, would that mean backwards compatibility might be a no go?

Nintendo has a terrible track record for that. I guess except the wii could play gamecube games. That was cool.

What do you mean, the Switch plays lots of WiiU games! :haw:

Libluini posted:

Also Ngage.

The Ngage was both a phone and a game console. It was hilarious.

Not as hilarious as the Ngage being goatse.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I always found it interesting how Sony essentially tried to relaunch the PSP in 2009 not only with the PSP Go but a stream of hits games from them and third parties. Yet for some reason it failed spectacularly. I assume because the handheld gaming to phone gaming transitions was beginning.

At that time the DS ruled the handheld gaming market with an iron fist and Sony had less a chance against the DS than Sega did against the Game Boy. The emergence of mobile gaming only further reinforced how SOL the PSP was.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

I always found it interesting how Sony essentially tried to relaunch the PSP in 2009 not only with the PSP Go but a stream of hits games from them and third parties. Yet for some reason it failed spectacularly.
They didn't tap into the casual audience the way the DS did, and by 2009 most people who would have bought a PSP already did.

It was also a problem that many of the early PSP games were only available on UMD due to licensing issues and the Go wasn't compatible with UMDs.

Also Monster Hunter didn't take off in the west the way it did in Japan.

Also lovely racist advertising.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 16, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

japtor posted:

Do emulators have rumble support? Cause Drill Dozer had a rumble cart and the usage was awesome for the feel of the game, particularly on the smaller GB Micro. WarioWare Twisted is another one where ideally you'd want to play on the original hardware.

Obscure one but one of my favorite puzzle games, Guru Logi Champ (or Guru Logic Champ) is goddamn great, and I'm not sure its specific mechanic has been copied.

One Line Puzzle I think came out on the DS first, but the GBA one was a sequel with more puzzles.

The original Rhythm Tengoku was great, and particularly loved the drum mini game. Was that ever included in one of the later sequels/collections?

As mentioned Tony Hawk 1+2 on GBA were pretty neat for how they pulled it off and actually worked well.

And totally forgot about Astro Boy and Gunstar Super Heroes, but those were awesome. I think just in general there was a bunch of great stuff on GBA as kind of as last hurrah for a lot of 2D games.

Something I just thought of:

If you're playing a gba game on GameCube using a gba player and a GameCube controller, will it pass rumble functions (that the original hardware would send to the cartridge) to the controller?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yes! In fact, pokemon pinball ruby + sapphire has rumble on a gameboy player, even though the cartridge did not have rumble.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Still mad that GB Player didn’t contain Super GB capabilities :colbert:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Gutcruncher posted:

But it did have a link cable port.

We've played 4 Swords and Crystal Chronicles with multiple tvs

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
True but you don’t get a color and voice version of Donkey Kong

ALSO mad that the 3DS Gameboy games didn’t get their SGB versions.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Len posted:

But it did have a link cable port.

We've played 4 Swords and Crystal Chronicles with multiple tvs

really wish the Gamecube 4 Swords game would get ported to switch with online play.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

punk rebel ecks posted:

I mean the games got good reviews. Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny, Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker, Gran Turismo, Patapon 2, God of War: Ghost of Sparda, etc. So I assumed they were appealing.

That said, as a previous PSP owner, I kind of agree with you. The PSP had tons of well reviewed games but I didn't enjoy any of them besides Darkstalkers. Metal Gear for example was boring and bad. Socom was horrendous. The worst Ys games in the series. Daxter was just like "okay". The system really did seem to suffer from "Sega Syndrome", but maybe that's just me. In contrast the Nintendo DS titles I tended to prefer to their console counterparts.

What the hell. Peace Walker is good and both oath in felghana and Ys 7 are great

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Numlock posted:

I wondering why I haven't seen phone cases that include a D pad and some buttons. Sort of a DS but it's your phone.

Sony tried that with the Xperia Play, and like every Sony phone it didn't sell for poo poo.

https://youtu.be/BGpt8E3YmNw

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

None of the PSP Ys games are remotely as bad as 4 and 5

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

They really should put the GB line (GB, GBC, GBA) on Switch Online, so that everyone who ever wanted to play multiplayer GB games but never could finally can with minimal issue.

Man, I loved how the DS was wireless. No more bullshit adapters! :toot:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Me thinks the main problem with gaming phones is that they more or less suffer from being a jack of all trades solution. I mean in addition of running games, you have to run all these useless background processes, not to mention fighting for the same storage spaces. You either be an entirely dedicated system like the Switch or you need to buff up your phone hardware to handle all that extra poo poo. But then you'd be paying quite a lot for a gaming phone.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What the hell. Peace Walker is good and both oath in felghana and Ys 7 are great

Peace Walker is fabulous! The meta game base building works better that mgs v imo.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Gutcruncher posted:

There's a rompack with all of the SGB titles in it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

They really should put the GB line (GB, GBC, GBA) on Switch Online, so that everyone who ever wanted to play multiplayer GB games but never could finally can with minimal issue.

Man, I loved how the DS was wireless. No more bullshit adapters! :toot:

Local wireless, but yes. Such a game changer compared to using a wire or that IR gimmick with the Pocket/Color. Crystal Chronicles on the Cube would have actually been playable with that...

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Science_enthusiast posted:

Peace Walker is fabulous! The meta game base building works better that mgs v imo.

Yeah if only because it doesn’t take like 15 hours of real in game time to unlock stuff lol

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mister Facetious posted:

Local wireless, but yes. Such a game changer compared to using a wire or that IR gimmick with the Pocket/Color. Crystal Chronicles on the Cube would have actually been playable with that...

Local wireless, plus Nintendo WIFI. Can't forget that.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I was referring to Portable Ops, I never played Peacewalker (but I did hear bad things).

I also thought OiF was for Vita, my bad. But Ys VI and VII are disappointing to me.

Evil Fluffy posted:

At that time the DS ruled the handheld gaming market with an iron fist and Sony had less a chance against the DS than Sega did against the Game Boy. The emergence of mobile gaming only further reinforced how SOL the PSP was.

I mean the PSP did sell tens of millions of units in America, so it absolutely wasn't a failure. However, it just lost steam 4 years in.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Local wireless, plus Nintendo WIFI. Can't forget that.

The DS needed a dongle for Internet as I recall.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

No? The DS could connect to WEP networks. There was a dongle that could share your PC's internet connection with your DS IIRC but it wasn't necessary.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I think the dongle was a workaround for people who didn't have a router or something like that.

you definitely didn't need it to connect to the internet

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Mister Facetious posted:

Naw, it connected to wifi just fine. It was introduced when wifi wasn't common everywhere so they sold a dongle you could throw into your internet-connected computer

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Mister Facetious posted:

No it didn't.

I think it could only connect to wireless networks with the right kind of security settings, and I know Nintendo sold a dongle that did something (just created a wifi network if your PC only had a wired connection, I think?) but the DS could connect to wifi on its own.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

No? The DS could connect to WEP networks. There was a dongle that could share your PC's internet connection with your DS IIRC but it wasn't necessary.

In a way it's more necessary now since nobody runs WEP on their router anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Mister Facetious posted:

The dongle was because people didn't have wifi; the DS could connect to WEP wifi points, but good luck finding one now.

e: JESUS we nerds