Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, still slogging through Back Arrow.

It's really been a disappointment, overall. One thing that stands out is the USP for the series, the conviction based combat system. Now, in theory, it's brilliant. Shonen fights are basically philosophical duels with more punching anyway, so you can take that a little further by making it literal. Duels between characters can center around undermining their philosophy, so scoring one hit on an opponent whose conviction is that he's untouchable renders him much less effective, or one of the heroes could always fight best when all hope seems lost, leading to the other protagonists rigging things up to look worse.

We don't see that, though. Convictions are, at most, a gimmick, like a guy who doesn't let himself get roped in being able to toss around someone using bolos. It's not adding a tactical angle to fights or using them to enrich characters. Instead it's just... there.

The overarching plot is also on a major tangent right now, with the heroes getting drawn into a war because they took an invitation to where the war is happening. Comparing to another show where Yuki Kaji hates him some walls, there's an obvious problem.

Attack on Titan was always heading towards the basement. It may have been incredibly slow and somewhat roundabout, but there was a clear chain of reasoning for why doing thing X was moving towards the secrets of the world. Meanwhile, Back Arrow got to the wall, couldn't destroy or get over the wall, and left to do some other plot with no clear reason to think it'll have anything to do with breaking the wall. It's things happening, but it's not movement. It's just a side plot taking up space without a compelling reason for emotional investment.

I don't quit shows often, and I quit mech anime less, but man. I don't think this is going to win me back.

On the more positive side of things, though, the final Rebuild movie came out in Japan, and from what I've seen, it looks really good. So that's nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've been watching Back Arrow too and have had similar feelings. Though even with the main plot going like nowhere, I could forgive that if the show was like at all interesting on an episode to episode basis whether in character or theme or even if just the fights were cool. But the fights suck, the characters are bland (And honestly it feels like there are too many), and thematically there's like nothing interesting going on.

Like it kind of reminds me of that really bad middle portion of Xabungle but somehow worse (And that show at least started strong and sort of picked back up eventually). I had hopes for Back Arrow considering the names involved but this is an astoundingly nothing show.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I suppose I'll have to present a different perspective on Back Arrow then.

Let me be frank here. I've been increasingly enjoying the series on a moment to moment basis, especially when Shu joined up with the team and then after they all arrived in Lutoh, since Prax and the princess brought more appealing personalities or dynamics into the picture. And well, the silly humor or lighthearted gags often make me smile. For me, there's usually something amusing or entertaining going on.

That said, I can at least see where a few of the previous arguments are coming from. There's surely a lot more that could be done with the whole conviction concept and, with a couple of exceptions, they haven't focused on that angle lately after some initial exploration. It will presumably be further addressed later on, yet at this time the criticism is valid on that front.

Structurally speaking...I think it makes narrative sense that if the characters couldn't easily get through the wall, as they've firmly established during episodes 7 and 8, they would take some time to consider their options and deal with emergent situations in the meanwhile. It's not like they are living in an empty setting, you know? Given the rather retro-style of storytelling involved here, spending some time on the equivalent of "wandering through the desert" or "monsters of the week" doesn't particularly bother me either, since it's normal to have a stretch of eps like that. It also reminds me of Gun X Sword, where the protagonist was on a quest for revenge but his group doesn't even meet the main villain until episode 12 out of 26.

I've seen enough anime in my life to expect that the outcome of the upcoming conflict, one way or another, will inevitably end up taking us in a new direction as far as the wall and/or its secrets are concerned. In other words, there's a transition point between now and the second half. That's what the Rekka vs. Lutoh war seems to be intended for. Even so, they have also been dropping little bits and pieces of relevant information every so often, thus it's not like the whole overarching plot has been completely out of sight.

The mecha fights have been short, there's no question about that, but the choreography and/or cinematography has been pretty good. Specifically, I really liked the fight with Kai back in episode 5 and the more recent ones with Prax. Most of the other battles have been rather low in terms of challenge or stakes, which is usually to be expected at the beginning of a series, yet there is admittedly an increasing need to have a longer or at least more ambitious confrontation. I think the upcoming war between the nations should provide an opportunity to do so.

I agree that the characters are rather broadly written, which is basically true of every single anime that Kazuki Nakashima has scripted. I suppose the main difference here is that Arrow himself hasn't had enough development as of yet. He's still the same sort of person at the moment. Not too unusual for a shonen-style protagonist...if there has been any drama, it's been more between Shu and Kai/Ren or between Prax and the princess. Which, all things considered, are useful yet still secondary characters. That said, I thought the most recent episode was actually pretty good in terms of giving the female characters some spotlight after being sidelined for a while.

It's definitely taking a moderate risk by leaving the protagonist's arc for later, given his amnesia and so forth. That's part of why it's hard to carry out any thematic analysis at this time, since most of the movement has merely been build up for the second half. I won't blame people too much if they're not enjoying it thus far, but I am still having a lot of fun on my end.

wielder fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 13, 2021

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Weaknesses like the Conviction stuff have been apparent since early episodes, but the Lutoh arc was a significant improvement for me over the lull in 6-7 where they tried some awful episodic stuff with the Bishie Farm and then had to spin their wheels before we could start digging into Lutoh's dark secrets. It's definitely in the group of shows I'm excited to see drop each week and found those plot developments/backstories plus Rekka's maneuvering to be compelling. Even though they still have issues with needing more from Elsha/Atlee/Ren and Elsha's grandpa not being wiped from existence.

I also think since we had Muga get cloning ability they've done a decent job at giving the fights spectacle even if they don't live up to the Conviction concept. Prax appearing and Elsha finally getting some real action definitely help there as well.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

wielder posted:

It's definitely taking a moderate risk by leaving the protagonist's arc for later, given his amnesia and so forth. That's part of why it's hard to carry out any thematic analysis at this time, since most of the movement has merely been build up for the second half. I won't blame people too much if they're not enjoying it thus far, but I am still having a lot of fun on my end.

I mean, the protagonist of SSSS Gridman had amnesia and was often sidelined for Akane and Rikka, but he still had progression and drove the plot forward.

Meanwhile, the latest arc just has Back Arrow be... there. It's not defined by the choices the protagonists make, but getting tossed from plot point to plot point.

Good on you for having fun and all, but I feel like there's a lot wrong with the show structurally, in addition to a lot of problems week to week.

Like, we had a mad scientist who introduces his crimes against humanity with a choir, and it wasn't worth more than a "huh". That's just disappointing. So many things that should be fun, and... they aren't.

(For example, Shu was interesting for a while, but in the current arc, he's lost pretty much all the agency that made him worth watching, so we get him just going along with the plot instead of driving it.)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Is Yuuta really the protagonist of SSSS, though?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Is Yuuta really the protagonist of SSSS, though?

I never said he was.

He's not the one with amnesia, either.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

I never said he was.

He's not the one with amnesia, either.

ENTIRELY fair.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Was the new FMP series good? I already read the novels so I don't need the story if it's good but I wanna see the Levatein in action

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Was the new FMP series good? I already read the novels so I don't need the story if it's good but I wanna see the Levatein in action

It's ok; it goes pretty fast and sticks to the main novels so there's not any comedy interludes with short story adaptations but it covers the plot well enough. It goes through Continuing On My Own, Burning One Man Force, and Come Make My Day. Dancing Very Merry Christmas came between TSR and IV is skipped since it got a radio drama and doesn't have a lot of impact on the overall plot anyway. The Laevatein only gets one fight, in the next to last episode, so if that's what you want you can cut to that one.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Midjack posted:

It's ok; it goes pretty fast and sticks to the main novels so there's not any comedy interludes with short story adaptations but it covers the plot well enough. It goes through Continuing On My Own, Burning One Man Force, and Come Make My Day. Dancing Very Merry Christmas came between TSR and IV is skipped since it got a radio drama and doesn't have a lot of impact on the overall plot anyway. The Laevatein only gets one fight, in the next to last episode, so if that's what you want you can cut to that one.

That would mean you miss out on far too much Savage savagery, though.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

That would mean you miss out on far too much Savage savagery, though.

FMP spoilers
Did they skip the fight with him in the Savage fighting the mech he usually uses that I can't remember the name of? If so that's lame as hell, I remember reading that in it's extremely poorly translated glory and thinking that it'd be sick as poo poo in an anime

Midjack posted:

That kinda sounds lame, rushing through three lns in 12 episodes seems weak as hell, at least it got finished I guess

Edit: Just downloaded, I didn't realize they used CGI, absolutely unwatchable, I'll just use the LN's as reference

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 14, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

FMP spoilers
Did they skip the fight with him in the Savage fighting the mech he usually uses that I can't remember the name of? If so that's lame as hell, I remember reading that in it's extremely poorly translated glory and thinking that it'd be sick as poo poo in an anime

That kinda sounds lame, rushing through three lns in 12 episodes seems weak as hell, at least it got finished I guess

Edit: Just downloaded, I didn't realize they used CGI, absolutely unwatchable, I'll just use the LN's as reference

No, the arena fights in the Crossbow and going against the Mithril defector in the M9 still happen, albeit in the space of like 4 episodes so it's kind of fast but still there. And they didn't finish the series, it has another season to go before they make it to the end. The PS4 game isn't a bad way to experience the rest of the plot, and it's even fully voiced in both English and Japanese.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Midjack posted:

No, the arena fights in the Crossbow and going against the Mithril defector in the M9 still happen, albeit in the space of like 4 episodes so it's kind of fast but still there. And they didn't finish the series, it has another season to go before they make it to the end. The PS4 game isn't a bad way to experience the rest of the plot, and it's even fully voiced in both English and Japanese.
When did this happen? I swear I leave a genre for five minutes and poo poo actually starts getting made.

I am glad people got to experience the end of FMP even if they didn't wanna read the novels, I have some problems with a lot of it, but as a whole it was a good time and people deserve that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

FMP spoilers

Why on Earth are you pre-emptively assuming that they skipped the best bits?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Why on Earth are you pre-emptively assuming that they skipped the best bits?

The lad said they skipped Savage Savagery, I assumed they meant the Savage vs Gernsback

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

When did this happen? I swear I leave a genre for five minutes and poo poo actually starts getting made.

I am glad people got to experience the end of FMP even if they didn't wanna read the novels, I have some problems with a lot of it, but as a whole it was a good time and people deserve that.

It came out three or four years ago. Here's my review from another thread.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

The lad said they skipped Savage Savagery, I assumed they meant the Savage vs Gernsback

I said that would happen if you jumped to the last episode for the Laevatien.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I said that would happen if you jumped to the last episode for the Laevatien.

Ahhhh I feel you now

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, the protagonist of SSSS Gridman had amnesia and was often sidelined for Akane and Rikka, but he still had progression and drove the plot forward.

Different type of story, I'd say, since among other differences that all had to be resolved within 12 episodes and so the pacing fits that length.

quote:

Meanwhile, the latest arc just has Back Arrow be... there. It's not defined by the choices the protagonists make, but getting tossed from plot point to plot point.

I do happen to think any real character analysis of the guy is both limited and premature, yet I could reasonably argue he has been making a couple of choices to that effect.

For example, there's his deciding to help the village people even after he was betrayed by them early on or, more recently, how he was willing to apologize for staying back at the wall when he decided to turn himself into a sword to give Elsha support rather than directly defeating Prax by himself. Not that it's incredibly original material or anything.

quote:

Like, we had a mad scientist who introduces his crimes against humanity with a choir, and it wasn't worth more than a "huh". That's just disappointing. So many things that should be fun, and... they aren't.

Hey, I still liked that scene. It's incredibly silly in a good way. :colbert:

quote:

(For example, Shu was interesting for a while, but in the current arc, he's lost pretty much all the agency that made him worth watching, so we get him just going along with the plot instead of driving it.)

Fair enough, although I think he still contributes to making the show fun right now, but we also know there's going to be a reckoning between him, Kai and Ren in the near future.

dogsicle posted:

Weaknesses like the Conviction stuff have been apparent since early episodes, but the Lutoh arc was a significant improvement for me over the lull in 6-7 where they tried some awful episodic stuff with the Bishie Farm and then had to spin their wheels before we could start digging into Lutoh's dark secrets. It's definitely in the group of shows I'm excited to see drop each week and found those plot developments/backstories plus Rekka's maneuvering to be compelling. Even though they still have issues with needing more from Elsha/Atlee/Ren and Elsha's grandpa not being wiped from existence.

I also think since we had Muga get cloning ability they've done a decent job at giving the fights spectacle even if they don't live up to the Conviction concept. Prax appearing and Elsha finally getting some real action definitely help there as well.

Yup, plus with the sword transformation it does seem like Muga could literally do anything...at least as long as Arrow lacks a sufficient firm conviction.

wielder fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 14, 2021

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
cant get getter robo armageddon intro out of my head send help

Also thrilled at the The Thing episode. I went into this show thinking the robots were too goofy looking but the artists somehow make them super cool

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Marx Headroom posted:

cant get getter robo armageddon intro out of my head send help

Also thrilled at the The Thing episode. I went into this show thinking the robots were too goofy looking but the artists somehow make them super cool
HEATS is loving baller my dude, it was on my workout playlist for ages. Armageddon as a whole is an insanely fun watch even if it's kind of a total mess

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It's one of the best looking mecha anime ever made and it's insane it's as good as it is considering the original director walked off with all the scripts three episodes in

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

GorfZaplen posted:

It's one of the best looking mecha anime ever made and it's insane it's as good as it is considering the original director walked off with all the scripts three episodes in

I wonder how many drinks you'd need to buy Imagawa to get a peek at those scripts, or if he just burned them out of gleeful spite.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Sunrise Beyond and Bandai just announced a new mecha IP: http://gundamnews.org/new-mecha-anime-kyokai-senki-launched-by-bandai-sunrise-beyond

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Unfortunately, the lead writer is Noboru Kimura, whose original screenplays tend to range from mediocre to crap. You may recognise him as the writer of Gundam Build Divers (not Re:Rise - that was Yasuyuki Muto).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I know most giant robot shows are made to sell toys/kits. But it's still weird to see an animated robot and realize that the accent colors are where they are on the robot because it's easy to do that color separation on the model kit.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Gaius Marius posted:

it's kind of a total mess

Mind explaining what you mean in spoilers for me? I'm almost done and yes it's insanely fun, I get pretty good Pacific Rim/G Gundam vibes. I'm definitely checking out some of the other Getter stuff after this

My only complaint is I have no idea who most of these characters are and I can't tell if I lacked Getter background lore or if the narrative is just glossy like that

Marx Headroom fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 16, 2021

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Marx Headroom posted:

My only complaint is I have no idea who most of these characters are and I can't tell if I lacked Getter background lore or if the narrative is just glossy like that

Armageddon assumes that you're familiar with at least the characters from Getter Robo/Getter Robo G.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Unfortunately, the lead writer is Noboru Kimura, whose original screenplays tend to range from mediocre to crap. You may recognise him as the writer of Gundam Build Divers (not Re:Rise - that was Yasuyuki Muto).

lmao hard pass

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Marx Headroom posted:

Mind explaining what you mean in spoilers for me? I'm almost done and yes it's insanely fun, I get pretty good Pacific Rim/G Gundam vibes. I'm definitely checking out some of the other Getter stuff after this

Like the other dude said the original director took his ball and went home after the third episode which is pretty obvious once you know it cause the tone totally changes, the plot also just wibble wobbles a lot and new peeps show up every ten seconds without good introductions.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i can handle the nonsensical plot and the paper thin characters. it's super robots, after all. my big problem with armageddon is that the invaders are usually completely invulnerable to all forms of attack until they arbitrarily stop for no particular reason. they aren't even weak to getter rays!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sometimes they even like them. Ya just gotta roll with it.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I wanna get into Majestic Prince because the mechas look awesome, but I heard that it's based off a manga - should I read the manga or watch the anime

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
just watch the anime. it's a nice little show that doesn't overstay its welcome. there's a sequel movie, but it is pretty much just a single extended fight scene and doesn't really continue the story or anything.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I know most giant robot shows are made to sell toys/kits. But it's still weird to see an animated robot and realize that the accent colors are where they are on the robot because it's easy to do that color separation on the model kit.

It's especially weird because most Gundam and Eva designs were made designed to be difficult to manufacture out of sheer spite.

It's kind of amazing how much mech anime we're getting this year. I'm not sure how much will be good, but people are taking a lot of shots. Eight TV anime, six movies, and at least a few games and shorts makes for a pretty wide spread, even without a conventional TV Gundam announced. Nice mix of new and old, too.

This one... I'm not terribly optimistic.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

just watch the anime. it's a nice little show that doesn't overstay its welcome. there's a sequel movie, but it is pretty much just a single extended fight scene and doesn't really continue the story or anything.

Is there a way to read the manga?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

chiasaur11 posted:

It's especially weird because most Gundam and Eva designs were made designed to be difficult to manufacture out of sheer spite.

God bless Ippei Gyoubu.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Now stick with me here. What if Gundam... but a Knightmare Frame?" "Hmm. Sounds good but we need to get the female demographic." "Meeps?" "Meeps."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Droyer posted:

Is there a way to read the manga?

Other than learning Japanese, it doesn't seem like there is, at the moment.

What I've heard from people who claim to have read it suggests it's not too much of a loss. At minimum, it went in a pretty different direction than the anime. (Which makes sense with the anime airing in 2013 and the manga not ending until 2019.)