Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Holy poo poo dude.

builds character posted:

Which one fits better?

I don't know, no place around me has either to try on. I have a 23 inch intermediate oval noggin, I would be a Large in either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Mosko Moto is selling limited edition orange panniers and crap for the same price as their black / grey / blue stuff if you're a weirdo who rides KTMs like me

just snagged myself an orange R40 and pico V2 because I hate money :D

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

loving hell that's brutal - glad you survived and hope you're recovering well.

Do you mind if I use the pic of the inside of your helmet in the OP to illustrate why you don't gently caress around with the EPS?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Jesus glad you are alive Razzled.

Uh I also like the RF-1200, it's nothing compared to that, but I was clipped 3 years ago at about 25mph by someone making a lane change and went into the rear hatch of another car and ultimately walked away.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

builds character posted:

Which one fits better?

The only question that matters with helmets imo. If you can spare the extra cash for a couple of weeks consider ordering one of each from an online store that does free returns.

Also I wouldn't worry about snell rating, DOT/ECE are the only ones you need to be concerned about for road use and every helmet from a reputable brand will have one or both. A helmet without a snell sticker isn't unsafe, it just hasn't passed (or necessarily even been subjected to) that set of optional tests.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

goddamnedtwisto posted:

loving hell that's brutal - glad you survived and hope you're recovering well.

Do you mind if I use the pic of the inside of your helmet in the OP to illustrate why you don't gently caress around with the EPS?

ya do whatever with it, i thought it was interesting how real world crash dynamics translated into EPS damage so i posted it up

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Renaissance Robot posted:

The only question that matters with helmets imo. If you can spare the extra cash for a couple of weeks consider ordering one of each from an online store that does free returns.

Also I wouldn't worry about snell rating, DOT/ECE are the only ones you need to be concerned about for road use and every helmet from a reputable brand will have one or both. A helmet without a snell sticker isn't unsafe, it just hasn't passed (or necessarily even been subjected to) that set of optional tests.

I think that's what I'll do, order both and see what I like, and hopefully not bonk my head in the process.

Other gear I'm ordering:
Sidi Performer Air boots
First Manufacturer Turbine Jacket + armor
Sedici Ultimo Gloves

Once I return the helmet I don't want, I'll buy some sliders and other protective bike gear. It's still pretty cold here so I won't be doing too much riding until I'm fully kitted out anyway.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Big Bizness posted:

I think that's what I'll do, order both and see what I like, and hopefully not bonk my head in the process.

Other gear I'm ordering:
Sidi Performer Air boots
First Manufacturer Turbine Jacket + armor
Sedici Ultimo Gloves

Once I return the helmet I don't want, I'll buy some sliders and other protective bike gear. It's still pretty cold here so I won't be doing too much riding until I'm fully kitted out anyway.

Depending on what size you are advrider.com (which is in many ways a horrible cess pool) has a really good fleamarket for used american sized gear.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out and see if I can find some riding jeans, hopefully a pair of that nobody's pooped in

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
SNELL only matters if you go racing. Don't worry about it

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Delayed year bonus money burned in my pocket.

AGV sportmodular in glossy black. if its too boring a colour I got stickers and/or plastidip.

And klims new touring/adv boot. I don't need full mx stiffness for my riding

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Any issues with the chin strap on that SportModular? When I tried one on a couple of years back it was like having a helmet passively-aggressively playing the knockout game. The reviews had a good number of complaints about it, but I never saw anything about the strap being moved in newer models.

helstein
Mar 12, 2006

Jazzzzz posted:

Any issues with the chin strap on that SportModular? When I tried one on a couple of years back it was like having a helmet passively-aggressively playing the knockout game. The reviews had a good number of complaints about it, but I never saw anything about the strap being moved in newer models.

I have one, 30KKm. Just do not tighten the strap like you are trying to strangle yourself.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
It's in the mail still, but I've tested my brother's lid and I had no issues with it. Seems like a chin/ head shape thing. I'll compare the 2 when mine gets here. His is first gen i think

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Flip-front lids will normally have the strap mounted a little further back than full-face ones so there's sufficient shell material around the mounting point for strength, which might explain it - however you're also supposed to leave a little bit of slack on the strap (like leave it a cm or so back from "tight" fitting) for comfort; the strap is only supposed to be there to keep the helmet in place in a crash, the cheek padding is supposed to be enough to keep it in place against aero forces.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The flipping mechanism; I don't trust it with my face/head/life.

Full face helmet every time.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
All the helmet talk prompted me to check the inside of mine only to discover bits of EPS have started spalling off. I guess I have worn it almost every single day for 4 years, so it's about that age.

Going to try out a neotec 2 since the original fit me so well. Hopefully Shoei didn't go insane and decide to gently caress with the liner shape for no reason!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Razzled posted:

ya do whatever with it, i thought it was interesting how real world crash dynamics translated into EPS damage so i posted it up

Thanks a lot - it illustrates that, what, 2cm of foam is literally the difference between life and death far better than all my :words:.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Need your ATGATT canadian tuxedo, well Czech company Trilobite has you covered.

All kidding aside, I've been wearing a set of their jeans for a while, and while they aren't perfect, the feature set it has is pretty close to what I'm looking for:

The pants are comfy and fairly stretchy as tested by my going from 185 pounds to 226 in 6 months and still fitting in the same size 36 waist. Being in Texas the zips revealing the mesh panels are really nice and the stretch panel in the crotch allows a lot of air flow so I'm not stewing in my own sweat.

The CE2 rated knee and hip armor are fairly large and are where I need them to be without too much fiddling.

The only real criticism I have are the pockets. I wish the hip pockets were deeper, the right cargo pocket needs two velcro panels instead of just one, and the left hip pocket could use to be about a quarter to half inch taller to be perfect. The only other thing is the styling, some folks will be put off by it as they do look a bit odd and you definitely can't pass them off as "regular jeans", the company does have other offerings that are more tame in styling with some of the same features (released this year).

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If you want to walk into a room and immediately draw everyone's attention to your crotch, perfect

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
longtime street rider first time dirt rider

what do I need?

is it worth it to buy a beaky helmet and goggles to keep my brand-new street helmet in better condition?
(I'm tempted to get one so that I have an excuse to buy some siqq pit vipers tho)

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Greg12 posted:

longtime street rider first time dirt rider

what do I need?

is it worth it to buy a beaky helmet and goggles to keep my brand-new street helmet in better condition?
(I'm tempted to get one so that I have an excuse to buy some siqq pit vipers tho)

What kind of dirt riding? Are you going to ride on the street to the dirt?

for both:
MX boots
dirt helmet
goggles (spend a little extra to get a lens that is double paned because you'll probably sweat a lot at first)
some kind of body armor (I have this one, for example)
elbow pads
knee and shin guards - it's important that they cover your knees and between the knee and the mx boot. The top actually goes into the top of the boot. For example, I have these.
hydration pack (uswe's are really good and I prefer them a lot over camelback, but if you're a fat american you will need to buy the larger straps)

decent street ride to the dirt
klim mojave or dakar pants
some kind of enduro jacket - this can go in the hydration pack when you get there and you can switch out for a jersey if you want.
gloves with some crash protection

no or little street to get there, maybe some transits
mx pants and jersey. This is an opportunity to really embrace the ridiculous.
mx gloves

I cannot emphasize strongly enough how important it is to get mx boots. They are ridiculous, but it's for a reason. gaerne, sidi and A* are generally the best brands. No, your forma lows are not good enough.

builds character fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 19, 2021

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
Are the boots for protection when falling over and over and over and over, or for some aspect of the ride that's different?

(I mean dirt like, "riding trails and fire roads to go places," not "send it over the whoops with a bus driver backflip.")

e. are cycle gear-tier pads worth it until I figure out if I actually like doing dirt?

Greg12 fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 19, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Greg12 posted:

Are the boots for protection when falling over and over and over and over, or for some aspect of the ride that's different?

(I mean dirt like, "riding trails and fire roads to go places," not "send it over the whoops with a bus driver backflip.")

e. are cycle gear-tier pads worth it until I figure out if I actually like doing dirt?

Both - you're going to fall off a lot (and onto surfaces that will tend to grab and twist whatever hits them, rather than sliding) so meaty boots are definitely an advantage, but also you're going to be (deliberately) putting your foot down a lot more than on tarmac.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
You're also likely to go somewhere with vegetation, rocks, etc. that will slam into or stab at your shins

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It's so that when this happens:

you just get a bruise instead of your ankle snapping in half like a dry twig

(I wanted to find that pic of a guy whose boot got dragged in between the wheel and the swingarm of his own bike but my google-fu is failing me)

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Greg12 posted:

What everyone else said on the boots.

You can go without pads or boots or whatever. It's all just risk tolerance. The A* elbow and knee pads are pretty cheap. Anything by tusk will be fine and advrider has a metric ton of this stuff for sale if you're size L/XL/XXL/XXXL/XXXXL.

Also, dirt is awesome and you will love it.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I've thought about it a few times and if I were forced to ride and could choose either a helmet or mx boots but not both I would probably choose the boots.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

GriszledMelkaba posted:

I've thought about it a few times and if I were forced to ride and could choose either a helmet or mx boots but not both I would probably choose the boots.

This is 100% wrong but I also completely understand.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Anyone ever ride around with sunglasses instead of a tinted visor? I have to ride ~225 miles soon, and of course I'll be riding into the sun both going there and coming back, and Shoei still hasn't made tinted visors for the RF-1400s. I wore glasses for two weeks with a helmet once and I remember thinking it was a pain in the rear end, but I forget why. I probably forgot to remove the glasses before taking off my helmet or something like that.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

MomJeans420 posted:

Anyone ever ride around with sunglasses instead of a tinted visor? I have to ride ~225 miles soon, and of course I'll be riding into the sun both going there and coming back, and Shoei still hasn't made tinted visors for the RF-1400s. I wore glasses for two weeks with a helmet once and I remember thinking it was a pain in the rear end, but I forget why. I probably forgot to remove the glasses before taking off my helmet or something like that.

I've always worn sunglasses inside of my helmet instead of a tinted visor, the helmet wont move much before you notice if you forget to take them out first when you try and take the helmet off.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I wear glasses and have no problems (RF-1200). Sunglasses tend to be bulkier though so might have issues with comfort or clearance.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

Anyone ever ride around with sunglasses instead of a tinted visor?
I had to all the time when I first started riding, it wasn't a huge problem imo. The sunglasses had thin metal legs which made it a bit easier to deal with

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I used to use sunglasses while riding all the time except when I wore my regular glasses instead of my contacts. The only problems I had was fogging up in the cold, but I learned to space them a bit farther out from my eyes (sounds weird but they were held in place by the helmet pads and my temples).

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wear glasses anyway, so I tried clipons

They were polarized, and each lens picked up a different tint from the light refracting a bit as it came through the visor. Like, one eye was seeing everything a bit pinkish, the other was seeing everything a bit greenish. (It wasn't that the lenses had a bit of tint themselves. I tried moving the clipons around behind the visor when it was off the helmet and I could see the color change in the lens.) It was disconcerting, and the last place I want to be disconcerted is riding a motorcycle, so I went out the next day and bought a tinted visor.

That was a mid-2000s HJC, when they still had the rep of "better than you'd think a cheap Korean helmet would be", so maybe other visors are more optically perfect and wouldn't do that.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

Im close enough to needing glasses to drive that I just always wear them anyway. I wear my (script) sunnies in the daytime because the tint is nicer than my internal visor's tint.

It's fine. It took me a week of loving around before I got the glasses sitting just right, it adds an annoying step to putting your gear on, they fog in the cold unless you a them further out than usual, and yeah it absolutely sucks if you forget and try to pull your helmet off with your glasses still on.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I wear sunglasses pretty much every time I ride, and usually they're behind a dark smoke tinted visor. Your sunglasses will fog up inside the helmet if it's cool or cold out, cracking the visor will clear them.

If your sunglasses have polarized lenses, you're going to see weird rainbows and strange colors on the visor, doesn't matter if it's "optically perfect" or not. Frames with thinner temples tend to fit better with helmets than big chunky ones like Oakley Gascans.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Sounds like they'll work well enough then, which is good because then I can hold off on the tinted visor and wait for the gold mirrored visor to come out

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

My XTRActive Transitions lensed Oakley prescription glasses are IMO a great pair of riding glasses/sunglasses for those who need vision correction.

The XTRActive bit of the Transitions lens means they change fast, so you don't experience the "too dark in a tunnel" or "too bright when the sun just came out from behind those clouds" for very long at all.

These are the glasses I refer to: https://www.rxsport.co.uk/products/Oakley-Fuller-Glasses-%252d-Satin-Black-%252d-Essilor-Lenses.html

I can use these in any weather condition, sunny or not, day or night and they work perfectly. My helmet has a drop down sunshade which I almost never use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

If your sunglasses have polarized lenses, you're going to see weird rainbows and strange colors on the visor, doesn't matter if it's "optically perfect" or not.

I didn't want to say polarized lenses would do that inside any visor, because I never bothered experimenting after that first time, so, good to know!