Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Falconier111 posted:

Hey Catholics, is there a term for a formal order issued to a lower ranking cleric by a higher one in a religious context? Asking for a friend.

Only term I can think of right now is a Bull, but I think that's limited to those in the priesthood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

FeyerbrandX posted:

Only term I can think of right now is a Bull, but I think that's limited to those in the priesthood.

Yeah a Papal Bull. If it's to the regulars that's just a good ol' common Edict.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
If you cleaned Seymour up, you know, removed some of that hairdo and the facial markings, made his outfit more in line with the rest of the Yevonites, gave him less obvious visual JRPG Villain signalling (His Aeon can stay, that reads more as "intriguing antihero"), this scene on the Highroad would read more as his stated intent, a man willing to take whatever measures were necessary to defeat Sin. As is...

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The thing that gets me about all the outrageous FFX designs is that they exist in the same game as Yuna, whose design is a triumph of the marriage of ceremony and practicality, which tells you a little about the world just by looking at her, which doesn't in the slightest seem to jar or contradict or make you scratch your head.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Fedule posted:

The thing that gets me about all the outrageous FFX designs is that they exist in the same game as Yuna, whose design is a triumph of the marriage of ceremony and practicality, which tells you a little about the world just by looking at her, which doesn't in the slightest seem to jar or contradict or make you scratch your head.
I wonder if people in-universe think she's dressed weird.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E

Quantum Toast posted:

I wonder if people in-universe think she's dressed weird.

It helps that there are a few visually distinct cultures in Spira; note how people from around Bevelle tend to wear much heavier garments and robes, while people from the south dress like Polynesian strippers. Yuna's outfit sits somewhere between the two extremes, which makes sense - she spent her early childhood up north and her later childhood in Besaid.

I would argue that her sleeve things aren't particularly practical, though.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 17, 2021

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
...I've played this game 4-5 times over 20 years and just realized her sleeves are detached

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Seymour seems cool for a guy who looks obviously evil

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

stab posted:

Yeah a Papal Bull. If it's to the regulars that's just a good ol' common Edict.

Yeah, that’ll do. Edited something similar into the post.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Seymour seems cool for a guy who looks obviously evil

Alex Fernandez deserves an Oscar for nailing “I am a villainous slimeball who all NPCs and only NPCs find charismatic”.

That said, if you’re ever in need of some :discourse: bathos, I recommend looking up Fiend Tales. They’re a bonus feature for FFX2 so they won’t come anywhere near the narrative, but you haven’t lived until you’ve read the story of the Behemoth that found peace selling warrior toddlers balloons :negative:

E: or the Wendigo that achieves enlightenment through a panty hunt :negative: :negative:

DoubleE: or the wasp that gets punched in the eye for watching old women in the bath :negative: :negative: :negative:

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 17, 2021

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Fiend Tales are great because they're supposed to be fun and there's some lore sprinkled in there, but what their existence implies is horrifying. It's amazing and I love it.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

My favourite Fiend Tale is the one showing that aliens are apparently canon

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

...I've played this game 4-5 times over 20 years and just realized her sleeves are detached
I've been told that detachable sleeves are practical if you intend to fight.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 20: Dream A Little Longer

Final Fantasy X HD Remaster OST 34. Unwavering Decision

The Mushroom Rock Road doesn’t have the dignity of being named after Mi’ihen, despite him presumably also passing through it, probably because it doesn’t deserve it. This place has some really nasty random encounters that I hate, one of which you can see here – it’s the first time in my playthrough any of my characters died. Hope you remembered to revive your downed character before the battle ends or they won’t get any experience!

Since the way out of this area is straight forward and the game hasn’t hit us with The Plot yet, Clasko wants us to head off to the left, where Seymour is apparently waiting for us at the Crusader command center…

… Past the elevators that give the area its name.

Despite the fact that this path is a vital thoroughfare for a paramilitary organization, it’s still crawling with random encounters – especially a new kind of mushroom monster thing that puts any character that uses a physical attack on it to sleep, and also Garudas with double health. That’s Lucil on the chocobo, by the way. She constantly runs ahead of you, stops until you catch up, then dashes off a little bit further, but her pathfinding gives off more a “I’m heading the same direction” feel than “I’m trying to run away or lead you on”, which is actually pretty hard to pull off. She’s not the only NPC in the area, though. Not by far.

But seeing their fierce determination, I couldn’t just sit there. So I decided that I would do everything in my power to help them. Truly, I know nothing of the ways of fighting, but I do know some white magic. I’m hoping that will be of some use to them. Is there anything I can do to help you?

She heals you for free if you ask her. The various other NPCs also offer you help if you talk to them, albeit in the form of healing items, but that’s par for the course at this point. While the encounter rate makes it an unpleasant walk, it isn’t far until we hit the next cut scene at the entrance to the command center.

Order are orders.

I’m not a cadet anymore, sir! Let me go with you, and I’ll prove it to them!

Guarding the command center is important too, you know.

I came all the way from Besaid to fight Sin, sir!

I know, but an order’s an order. To your post, Crusader.

But, sir!

Go! … :sigh:

Eh, Gatta deserves better.

At least there’s no chance he’ll get hurt. Why are you guys fighting, anyway? Aren’t the almighty Al Bhed machina enough on their own?

They need time to calibrate them before use. Our job is to keep Sin at bay until they’re ready.

Killing you off to protect themselves. Yeah, sounds like the Al Bhed to me.

Wakka… I might not get another chance to say this.

Luzzu, no!

… What about him?

… What?

:hai:

…YOU MOTHERFUCKER.

Let… Let go of me!

Not if you’re gonna go out swinging!

… Fine.

He’d say that – when we won the Cup, ya? – He’d propose to Lulu. And then one day… He goes off and becomes a Crusader. Just like that.

Chappu also said to me… That being with your girl is good…

…Lu, you knew?

Luzzu told me before we left.

It turns out she still hits harder than you.

That’s my cue.

Don’t you loving die out there, Luzzu.

What, so you can hit me more?

Lots more!

… Thank you.

No problem.

CLANG.

He left the sword Wakka gave him in Besaid. And he fought with an Al Bhed machina weapon instead.

That’s got nothing to do with it! I just hate these sacrilegious contraptions!

Look!

… And that’s even worse. What are they thinking?

It might be a hopeless campaign, and it might mean defying Yevon…But the Crusaders and the Al Bhed – they’re doing their best to defeat Sin. They want to rid Spira of Sin forever. And that’s just what we want, too, isn’t it?

And all it cost them was their souls.

Wakka –

Uh, guys?

Lucil: Maester Kinoc is also there.

Two Maesters?

Lucil: Yes, Lady Summoner. This way, please.

The command center has a pretty high NPC density, with dialogues ranging from the :smith:

… To the :signings:

… To the…

Please check all your equipment here before you enter the command tent :geno:.

Um, you all right?

Of course not! I came here to fight Sin! But they stick me here!

There’s an easy way to prove yourself.

:haw:

You complete the tasks you were given.

:(

Gatta has some more dialogue you can uncover if you talk to him again, but we have important religious leaders to harass.

That’s Wen Kinoc, one of the Four Maesters of Yevon. He leads the warrior monks and also commands the Crusaders.

Really pulling out all the stops for this, huh.

Never expected you to make Maester.

Wen Kinoc: Ha! Tell me, Auron. Where have you been the last ten years?

Can’t say, I’m afraid. Not even for an old friend.

Wen Kinoc: …This plan won’t work, you know that. We’ll just let them dream a little longer.

All troops ready to move at your command, sir!

Wen Kinoc: Good. Dismissed. Now, let’s watch the fireworks, hm?

(Sin is my old man. Sin is Jecht… Well, whatever else he was, he always came back to haunt his children.)

The Sinspawn scream as electricity sparks up and down their cage.

Then the cage pops open, scattering them across the beach…

… Including right in front of the party.

Good job everybody, high fives all around. Sinspawn Gui here is mechanically speaking four monsters in one: the main body, the arms, and the head.

The head is probably the most dangerous part, and it’s definitely the most annoying. Like the fin way back off of Besaid, you can only hit it with magic or Wakka’s attacks, which is a pain because it can deal significant damage on its turns and poison party members. It shouldn’t take too long to take down, but it’s definitely a first priority.

Once you kill the head (it goes gray), your next job is to kill off the arms. You can try and hit the body while the arms are still present, but the arms will just block most of the damage.

So your best strategy is killing the arms off, smacking the core a few times, and killing the arms off again when they regenerate. Sin’s characteristic gravity magic comes back with a vengeance (Demi still cuts a quarter off every active party member’s current HP, and now that the arms can punch you for a few hundred damage that can put your characters at serious risk), but the boss doesn’t have many flashy moves beyond that. In fact, this is a pretty good place to get some grinding in, since each arm you kill counts as a separate monster.

This fight has just a little bit of rocket tag to it – Demi is surprisingly effective at making your characters vulnerable to a punch and you basically have to race to damage the core once you’ve got the arms out of the way – but it isn’t overwhelmingly difficult. It’s just a balancing act.

But there’s more to Operation Mi’ihen then one Sinspawn.

The Crusaders sound the charge…

… As their enemy reveals its full form.

The Al Bhed open fire…

… And pepper Sin with shells…

… Only to make the situation worse.

The Knights charge down the beach…

… Straight into Sin’s countermeasure.

…!

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 15, 2021

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This fight always felt like a level check. If Lulu doesn't have a -ra spell, it takes forever.

Or maybe 14 year old Rabbi Raccoon was just bad at this game again

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

This fight always felt like a level check. If Lulu doesn't have a -ra spell, it takes forever.

Or maybe 14 year old Rabbi Raccoon was just bad at this game again

gently caress, I knew I forgot to talk about something in this update :negative:. I’ll look into fixing that tomorrow.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I REALLY need to start charging people every time I have that effect

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I consistently get to this fight without -ra spells too. Yeah, it takes a bit but it's not awful, especially if you summon an aeon. You've got Ifrit and Valefor at this point, both of which have magic, and they've got a decent chance of winding up for an Overdrive.

Not up in the update: nagging Auron before triggering the boss fight encourages Tidus to "Stay close to Yuna" which I always interpreted not just as standard guardian talk but also wanting to encourage them to share their reactions to Operation Mi'ihen with each other.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

I think I’ll just add the -a suffix commentary in the next update. Until then, OUTTAKES:

…!

I, uh, so, you gonna eat that Ronso?

What? No!

Just sayin’, slow-roast it for a couple hours, scrounge up some cheap booze, throw in some beans and them’s good eatin’!

Ay up, alrate there, ducky? It’s black ovver Bill’s mother’s nah an’ wiv ‘em clouts a’ yourn ya’ll be fast in the muck when iz aught silin’.

What? No! I was saving that!

You snooze you lose, lady.

Oh no you don’t! GET BACK HERE!

You know I can see your bra under your chest wrap thing from here, right?

Goddamn it, every time...

Oh yeah! They’re good eating!

I KNOW!

There’s too much for me there, though, and I don’t think there’s a fridge anywhere nearby. How about we split it 80-20?

:respek:

You want to ditch these losers and go get something to eat?

You know what? gently caress these people, they can all turn into pyreflies for all I care. Hey, I know this great Al Bhed place 20 minutes from us, you wanna just head out now?

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 18, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

:golfclap:
Perfect.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

You know, since the sinspawn are the spawn of Sin (duh), and Sin is apparently Jecht, doesn't that make them Tidus' half-brothers?

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Extremely short update, and it's been less time than I'd like since the last post, but it's done and I think it needed to end where it did.

Update 21: I’m Still The Best

No. Not when I can help.

Final Fantasy X HD Remaster OST 80. Challenge

Make note of this music track, by the way. We won’t hear it again for a long while, and when we do it all play in some eerily similar circumstances.

Sinspawn Gui round two. While we don’t have access to the rest of our party for this fight, we do get to use Seymour for the first and only time in the game, and oh man is he one hell of a consolation prize. For context, Lulu herself just got access to second round of elemental magic – that’s what the -a suffix means, those spells it substantially harder than their predecessors. Not only does Seymour have the full suite, he also has more powerful healing magic than Yuna AND he has 999 MP to cast it with AND he has almost as much health as Auron AND his staff can punch through armor and does substantial damage AND he has a special Overdrive (Requiem) that does thousands of damage. Only thing he’s missing is his special supersecret summon. Given how Gui’s health has been substantially reduced from the last time we fought it (presumably for balance reasons, even though this fight doesn’t need it), the only reason it wouldn’t go down in a few turns is if you chose to keep it alive to grind on its arms. The game counts both Gui fights as one the same for experience gain purposes, making this stage actually better for grinding than the first.

Farewell, random boss that’s likely to become my equivalent of Rattigan Johansen :patriot:!

Dang. Tragically, you never get to use Seymour again, so those Sphere Levels are purely cosmetic. Also, the only reason my party’s Sphere Level gain is so low is because I’ve significantly overleveled them; the game was set up so that Lulu’s second round of magic is only accessible here if you sink significant time into beating up monsters in the Mushroom Rock Road.

But there’s far more going on right now than this one fight.

The beach cleared, Sin turns to its next target.

The gunners take careful aim…

… And fire.

The ancient weapon unleashes its fury…

… As the survivors watch in awe.

Sin raises its shield…

… But the operators just boost the power…

… Until Sin’s shield finally begins to buckle.

And then…

Operation Mi’ihen has failed.

Final Fantasy X HD Remaster OST 20. Hymn of the Fayth

The beach is completely silent aside from the chanting of the mourners.

And the mourned lie all around us. Trying to speak to them yields you this instead of dialogue:

Djose beach posted:

A peaceful death. Probably had no clue.

Still so young.

Staring at the sky, lifeless.

Reclining, breathless.

Why? What? WHAT’S GOING ON?!

…!

Don’t you run away! GET BACK HERE!

(Maybe I was angry, maybe I wanted to go home. I kept thinking of Zanarkand, and my old man. After a while, it was like I wasn’t thinking about anything at all.)

He shakes his head, then steps aside.

They say you don’t practice anymore, that you’re gonna retire.

Let them talk. I’m still the best.

I can quit drinkin’ whenever I want!

Then do it now.

What did you say, you little poo poo?

You just said you can quit!

Nah. Tomorrow, maybe.

Why not today?

Why do today what you can leave for tomorrow, eh?

(I thought I sensed my old man there. Somewhere…)

(I probably could’ve found out, if I’d asked. But why would I? This was Spira. And people always die.)

(The Sending didn’t pull as hard on me as it did the first time. It was like my soul had a callus now.)

(I was too busy feeling hollow to do much of anything. I was just… Despairing, you know?)

(Deaths weren’t uncommon in Zanarkand. I thought I was used to them. Riots, starvation, fiend attacks… Everyone said things were worse than they’d ever been. We entombed way too many people every year. But even though they happened more than anybody’d like, each death still had significance. They were still just a little shocking. There was nothing shocking about what happened on the beach that day. Just more lives tossed into the meatgrinder. Same as before. And again and again and again.)

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 19, 2021

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I swear, looking back, Yuna dancing is the most bleak part of this game by a significant amount.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I somehow remember the part where Tidus examines the dead people having the Hymn of The Fayth in the background. It really made me think about war and death. Seeing the bodies of people you talked to only seconds before along with that choir made me examine if the fight against Sin had any point to it.

(I was 26 years old. :eng99:)

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Violet_Sky posted:

I somehow remember the part where Tidus examines the dead people having the Hymn of The Fayth in the background. It really made me think about war and death. Seeing the bodies of people you talked to only seconds before along with that choir made me examine if the fight against Sin had any point to it.

(I was 26 years old. :eng99:)

You’re right, editing that into the post. I capture the screenshots a day or two before I write the posts, and while most of the time the changes I make are intentional, I do occasionally miss something like this. As far as I can tell, the Hymn of the Fayth is always being sung in-universe when you hear it with one possible exception. In this case, it’s the few survivors up on the cliff that must be singing it.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 19, 2021

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Challenge is by far the biggest casualty on the Remastered soundtrack. Massive yikes there.

"People die and Yuna dances" is my favourite out-of-context quote in this whole game.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
I haven't really listened to the remastered soundtrack before, so I'm hearing most of them for the first time in this LP. And I'd echo the sentiment that for the most part it's... not great. A lot of them sound really over-produced, like when directors can't figure out what to improve so they try to make everything into some sweeping epic piece. It rarely works and almost always mangles whatever the original had going for it.

I really like the original Challenge track and I think it holds up well. It has a sort of grungy, industrial texture to it, and it sounds almost brash compared to most of other tracks. The first minute or so is all a build-up, then you get this big drop and it's awesome. Here it is, beware of spoilers in the comments. The remaster doesn't work to the original's strengths at all and goes for... some kind of oddly crisp sound and superfluous drum fills? It spoils the whole feel of the track. What a shame.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

SoundwaveAU posted:

"People die and Yuna dances" is my favourite out-of-context quote in this whole game.

Wait a second...

People Die, and Yuna Dances. Let's Play Final Fantasy X HD Remaster

Hey Fedule, can I ask you to do me a favor with the thread title?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Falconier111 posted:

Wait a second...

People Die, and Yuna Dances. Let's Play Final Fantasy X HD Remaster

Hey Fedule, can I ask you to do me a favor with the thread title?

Hey, this is about all I really do around here anyway.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I mean that is literally both games in a nutshell

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Fedule posted:

Hey, this is about all I really do around here anyway.

You just dance at the deaths of idiots committing suicide by kaiju?

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 22: Yours Goes On, I See

… Yeah.

But… Yours goes on, I see.

Final Fantasy X HD Remaster OST 77. Wandering Flame

Satisfied?

Wen Kinoc: What do you mean?

Neat and clean.

And you too.

… I couldn’t stop it. I couldn’t stop any of it.

No one could have. And that’s why, now more than ever, you must be the people’s strength, their confidence.

But you… Are a summoner. You are Spira’s hope. Until Sin is defeated, you must not relent. Do you understand?

I understand.

Are you afraid?

That is understandable. Anyone would be shaken after this. But Yuna…

While we were out, the rest of the party was busy arranging the bodies. I’m not sure for what; they’ve already been sent, so I assume they’re preparing them for burial. The game won’t let us go up the slope and enter the next area until we talk to Auron.

Are you coming out of it?

… Yeah. Yeah I am.

I think I understand that now. I think I felt him. Is that why you wanted me to come along? So you could show me what happens when somebody tries to stop him?

He didn’t come here for them. He came here for you.

… What?

He came here to see you.

He killed all those people, just for a chance to see me?

That’s what Sin does. He wanted to show that to you. Do you know why?

He wants to make me even madder at him?

He wants you to kill him. As long as he is Sin, Jecht will keep killing.

… Auron, we literally just saw what happens when normal people try to kill Sin.

You and Yuna are hardly normal people. Now come. We have places to be.

I… :sigh:

Further up the path, we run into a few dispirited survivors.

Shelinda’s so busy healing she won’t talk to us beyond topping our health off if we ask.

O’aka XXIII: I made a bundle with the operation prices. But the way it turned out, they deserved a better deal.

:aaa:

Now are dark times. Yuna tries hard. If we worry, she tries harder. Do not frown.

Man, and I thought I was under pressure… Yeah, I gotcha. Nothing but happy thoughts from here on out.

Kimahri try, too.

Oh? I don’t see YOU smiling.

This is Kimahri’s smile.

Okay nevermind, you do you.

A little while later, we get another cutscene.

Oh, we got a ways to go.

First down the Moonflow to the Guado city of Guadosalam… Then we cross the Thunder Plains to the temple of Macalania.

And then Zanarkand?

And then Bevelle, the Calm Lands, and Mt. Gagazet. Then Zanarkand.

But Djose first!

… We can’t just skip all that and catch a boat or something?

No. I have to earn the trust of every fayth in every temple in order to use the Final Aeon.

Sounds rough.

Now come on! I want to see the lightning!

One screen later…

Wait, new guy.

Who, me?

Yeah, not gonna do that to her. But even if I did say something, who would even believe me?

She might.

… Okay, that’s a good point.

Come on, I –

You what?

… Okay, yeah, I totally would break down.

Stop being right about things!

You’re learning.

I didn’t want to mention this while the scene was ongoing, but, you see that ellipsis in Seymour’s speech earlier? That’s not a natural break in the conversation, he literally pauses midsentence and awkwardly continues. This isn’t the last time we’ll see that. The vast majority of you reading probably already know this, but Final Fantasy X was the first FF game to feature full voice acting, so its dev team struggled mightily to get everything to work; among other things, they made it so you couldn’t adjust lip flaps during cutscenes after they were set – and told the English localization team they didn’t need to worry about lip-synching in the first place while they wrote the dialogue. Cue scrambling to match lip flaps created for a very different language with no prep time and a script that suddenly needed a complete rewrite. According to rumor, the game would actually crash if the English and Japanese voice tracks weren’t the same length, too. The final translated script suffered. A lot. The team managed to keep everything under control for the first part of the game, but the further in they got, the wilder things became; I’ll upload a few MP4s when we hit Mt. Gagazet to show you what it looks like at its worst. At the end of the day, this game’s voice acting isn’t nearly as abysmal as it could’ve been, but sometimes you get some truly bizarre readings that make awkward laughter look like Shakespeare.

Anyway, next up is a short jaunt down this path, featuring a lot of deeply dispirited ex-Crusaders; as is traditional, if you talk to them they’ll hand you healing items after bemoaning their fate. The monsters on this stretch of the road aren’t quite as obnoxious as they were a little while back, at least for the most part; we’ve already fought most of them on the Mushroom Rock Road and most of the rest don’t push the party too hard. With one exception.

That big snake thing is a Basilisk, and it does what basilisks always do: it turns people into stone (and so can Kimahri once you Lancet it). Basilisks don’t use their Stone Breath all that often, but when they do, there’s a chance their target just, well, turns to Stone; other status effects vanish and they can’t take damage from most sources, but they can’t take any kind of action – including switching out – until somebody cures them.

On the other hand, a few attacks or situations (like getting petrified underwater and sinking to the bottom) can shatter petrified combatants. If that happens to one of your party members, that party slot is gone – not only can you not revive them in combat (they come back with one HP afterwards), but you can’t switch in anybody for them for the rest of the fight. It’s entirely possible to lose by having your frontline shattered before anybody else can switch in. It sucks. Fortunately, petrification is rare, items and spells that cure it are cheap, and if you use it on enemies (and it sticks), they usually shatter immediately.

Wait, is that…

You survived! Are… Did any…

Lucil: We escaped with our lives, but our troops were decimated. I believe we are the last survivors of the Chocobo Knights.

Elma: Of all our chocobos, only this one made it.

It kwehs.

Clasko: We make pretty poor Chocobo Mounted Forces without chocobos.

Tidus!

Yeah?

Watch!

45-Djose Temple-FFX OST

Whoa, wild!

The Lightning Mushroom Rock. It only opens when a summoner is addressing the fayth.

That means somebody else’s in there.

Oh man, what if it’s Dona?

We should hurry –

GATTA!

He’s what?

Wakka…

I… I can’t do this. I’m going back to Besaid…

20-Song of Prayer-FFX OST

Man in Robes: As I thought! The daughter of Lord Braska. You have the look of your father.

My father? You knew him?

Man in Robes: No, I never met the man.

Maroda We’re guarding our brother here.

Isaaru: Since I was a child, I’ve always looked up to Lord Braska. I wished I would someday become a high summoner like he was. If you made it this far, you must have some of your father’s talent in you. I believe you might someday defeat Sin.

I…I’m not really…I’ve only just become a summoner.

Isaaru: Of course, I fully intend to vanquish Sin myself. So perhaps we should race to see who can defeat Sin first, no?

Very well, then. I accept your challenge.

Maroda: Isaaru!

Isaaru: Yuna, I beg your leave. Good luck, to both of us!

:hai:

The Temple of Yevon at Djose really leans into the lightning theme (and apparently monkeys, they’re everywhere). At least in Kilika they kept the fires under control; here they have open electrical arcs all over the place. OSHA would throw a fit.

Usually, the rooms within the temples host a few monks and nuns and a few kids training to be monks and nuns. Right now they’re overfull with the wounded and dying.

Isaaru: You are Yuna’s guardian, no? Maroda’s heard a curious rumor. I thought you should know.

Maroda: I heard it from those Crusaders.

Isaaru: It could just be the fiends got them…

… But fiends don’t get summoners this much.

Isaaru: Exactly.

Maroda: Sorry I can’t tell you more, but…watch your back. Ain’t much future for a guardian without a summoner, eh?

Isaaru: Please do be careful.

Will do. And same to you guys.

Pacce: See ya!

(The kid had to have been less than 12. And I’m pretty sure there were younger Crusaders… I had to struggle to clear my head. There was too much going on.)

22-Between Ordeals-FFX OST

I still won’t be going into the mechanics of the individual Cloister puzzles because gently caress that noise, but they often have some pretty wild aesthetics that are worth pointing out. For instance…

… This Cloister doubles down on the lightning theme.

You use it to supercharge spheres…

… Levitate pedestals… Somehow…

… And blow up walls. This Magic Sphere is like that Strength Sphere we earned from winning the tournament earlier except for Magic. That’s it :geno:

As unpleasant as it might be, we’re still firmly in “you can solve this by loving around at random for a bit” territory. It isn’t long till we make it through.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 21, 2021

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
OK so if you don't really die unless you get Sent or accept death, could Luzzu have just been like, talking normally while being cut in half?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Personally, I prefer killing off Gatta instead of letting Luzzu die.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

OK so if you don't really die unless you get Sent or accept death, could Luzzu have just been like, talking normally while being cut in half?

If you're not Sent, then your pyreflies reincorporate themselves into fiends instead of being sent on to the farplane.
Only summoners (and maybe high-up priests that choose not to be become summoners on pilgrimage?) can do sendings. The sending, like summoning an aeon, is pyrefly manipulation.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, on top of the kaiju problem, Spira has a zombie problem, only the zombies are wasps and turtles and poo poo.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I think you may have messed up some of your find-replace, Seymour's portrait is missing for some dialogue, and Auron snuck into Tidus reacting to Khimari.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

bewilderment posted:

Personally, I prefer killing off Gatta instead of letting Luzzu die.

If you're not Sent, then your pyreflies reincorporate themselves into fiends instead of being sent on to the farplane.
Only summoners (and maybe high-up priests that choose not to be become summoners on pilgrimage?) can do sendings. The sending, like summoning an aeon, is pyrefly manipulation.

Any further will go into spoiler territory so I'll withdraw the question for now, but that reincorporating isn't an immediate process. If you ran into someone who had just been cut in half, they might be able to still talk and behave normally if they hold onto their senses

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Any further will go into spoiler territory so I'll withdraw the question for now, but that reincorporating isn't an immediate process. If you ran into someone who had just been cut in half, they might be able to still talk and behave normally if they hold onto their senses

Nah you're thinking of JoJos

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

From how Lulu describes it it doesn't sound like a particularly quick process of dying then turning into an evil bug. She made it sound like it requires some psychological changes and getting jealous or angry before that happens.

"Man, gently caress that guy over there, living his life in his tiny hut, waiting for Sin to come and suck it up." *turns into random chunks of burning rock* "I'm gonna gently caress him up"

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
As far as I understand it, bodily processes are bodily processes. When those cease, you die (But then there's literally being turned into stone and shattered, so my argument may be flawed from the get-go). After death, your soul tends to stick around in the form of pyreflies. Most of the time, this is harmless. Some deaths are quiet, and peaceful, and the decedent passes to the Farplane on their own. Some areas are thick with pyreflies, but not hostile.

But the aftermath of an attack by Sin has a lot of people who died in terror and fear. Those are the souls liable to become fiends, thus the sending. Attacks by fiends can also result in violent, negative-charged deaths, perpetuating the cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

FeyerbrandX posted:

From how Lulu describes it it doesn't sound like a particularly quick process of dying then turning into an evil bug. She made it sound like it requires some psychological changes and getting jealous or angry before that happens.

"Man, gently caress that guy over there, living his life in his tiny hut, waiting for Sin to come and suck it up." *turns into random chunks of burning rock* "I'm gonna gently caress him up"

She does mention it's a slow burn but derived from being dead: the dead envy the living (since being dead probably means, you know, not being able to eat or sleep or other basic functions that would drive you insane) and that envy graduallly leads to worse emotions until you become a man eating plant or a giant bird because "gently caress the living".

It's pretty much based on the Shinto concept of "kegare" or impurity, a natural uncleanesss usually derived from death that needs to be purified (just like how fiends are born from the dark emotions of the dead and need to be Sent by a summonner). This is also why funerals in Japan are generally Buddhist, because Shintoism has this belief over death being unclean.

Fake edit:

Dareon posted:

As far as I understand it, bodily processes are bodily processes. When those cease, you die (But then there's literally being turned into stone and shattered, so my argument may be flawed from the get-go). After death, your soul tends to stick around in the form of pyreflies. Most of the time, this is harmless. Some deaths are quiet, and peaceful, and the decedent passes to the Farplane on their own. Some areas are thick with pyreflies, but not hostile.

But the aftermath of an attack by Sin has a lot of people who died in terror and fear. Those are the souls liable to become fiends, thus the sending. Attacks by fiends can also result in violent, negative-charged deaths, perpetuating the cycle.

Yeah pretty much this. There's a lot to talk about pyreflies and death in Spira but that's entering too much spoiler talk.