Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Riatsala posted:

A problem I consistently run into with Bethesda games is that you can spend days installing mods and tweaking files to get a game that's mechanically engaging and interesting but there's nothing you can do to make the writing not-dogshit.

List of games where you spend ages installing tons of mods only to play them for 5 minutes and uninstall because they're not fun:

- The Sims
- Cities Skylines
- Bethesda games

This list is incomplete; you can help by expanding it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CJacobs posted:

List of games where you spend ages installing tons of mods only to play them for 5 minutes and uninstall because they're not fun:

- The Sims
- Cities Skylines
- Bethesda games

This list is incomplete; you can help by expanding it.

Civilization 4

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

Hel posted:

And yet she still has to work a second job as an Assistant Janitor.
It's the same job, Ahti just calls the Director an Assistant Janitor because it describes the actual job and hierarchy better.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The most bizarre story point in FO4 is how you go to the Institute and you never actually get an explanation as to why they're doing the replacement stuff.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Because SCIENCE and EVIL

The Institute would be cool if they were mole people or Morlocks. No light, just dark tunnels full of machinery you don't understand and people with large eyes who talk endlessly and incomprehensibly about math.

Philippe has a new favorite as of 18:58 on Mar 16, 2021

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Are there any fallout content mods that actually have good writing? The only big mod that comes to mind is New Frontier and that somehow has worse writing than the normal games.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No, they're all bad to varying degrees

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

thetoughestbean posted:

It really doesn’t.

Come to think of it, I think you're right, and that's most of the problem. Tactics fixed a lot of FF5's issues, and improved many areas besides and Bravely Default seems unaware of most of those fixes/improvements. About the only major improvement Tactics made that BD copies that I can think of is the ability to equip an active ability and some support abilities. Rather than one or the other.

Tactics turn order system would be a huge improvement
Being able to buy abilities with JP instead of blindly levelling a job in the hopes the next Job Level's ability is useful(which it very rarely is so far) would be a huge improvement*
Simple, intuitive damage/ability formulas such as Tactics had would be a huge improvement

On the other hand I just got a cutscene where Agnes talks about how she's never held a bow before and doesn't even know what an arrow is despite the fact that she's been a bow wielding Thief for the last 10 hours and has been my physical MVP. And that was delightfully silly so it's not all bad. Also the game is gorgeous, especially in 3d, it's a pity those of us who actually liked 3d seemed to be a tiny minority I doubt Nintendo, or anyone else, is going to continue making these sorts of 3d consoles considering how most people seemed to just turn the 3d off.

*Granted I could just look it up but I like taking games on their own terms with regards to the information they give the player

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

Len posted:

Why don't you update? Is it some masochism thing?

Nah, I just want to see it at its buggiest. I'm already getting sick of the hiccups and bad framerates and I only got one good bug so I'm probably giving up soon and just downloading the patch

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I've really soured on video game writing recently just because time spent listening to :words:, even well-plotted, scripted, emotionally-inciting words, is time not spent building stuff, solving puzzles, or getting in fights.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I finally got around to playing the newest God of War, and while I get the hype around it, I really wish they didn't characterize the kid's speaking style as so completely anachronistic. The time period is an interpretation of ancient European mythology, but while it can be annoying sometimes to have every fantasy epic make everyone sound British regardless of location, every Atreus line is a little American boy yelling "YEAH! That's what you GET!" or "The trail is over here, DUH!" It just doesn't gel with the setting at all.

Grumbling Dad Kratos doesn't necessarily scream Ancient Spartan either, but at least he's not saying "Check out my super rad axe, Boy!"

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Come on mdickie, a six man gauntlet first blood match? I'm going to be here forever wailing on everyone's head with a steel bar hoping they bleed

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

By the end of the game the traditional power structure is upended and we learn the most important role in The Oldest House is to be the janitor.

drat why did no one tell me this was actually a Space Station 13 game?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Leal posted:

drat why did no one tell me this was actually a Space Station 13 game?

Now I'm picturing bloodborne's chalice dungeons except it's just The Kitchen, complete with fractal recursive sandwiches, maddening to behold

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Vic posted:

I have geforce rtx 2080 super and fallout 4 sets my settings to low every time. It also crashes at the run to the vault intro. Also to change the FOV I have to edit 3 ini files.

How the gently caress is it this bad?

I had to solve two different game-breaking bugs to get Fallout 76 to even launch. Bugs that had existed for two years up until that point.
I solved them but immediately uninstalled, the game had already let me know what I was in for.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I forget what game it was I had installed a few months back but I'm used to old games not recognizing my modern hardware and defaulting to the lowest settings (which to be fair is probably the safe bet) so it was weird when I played one that immediately assumed that if it couldn't recognize my video card it must be from the future and therefore should max everything.

I think it might have been The Sims 3.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

A couple hours into replaying Spideymans and I'm already sick of the Peter Parker Mosey. Can't wait for the stealth. That game's like 95% GOTY stuff and 5% annoying gargage.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Riatsala posted:

I've put countless hours into XCOM 2 trying to love it like XCOM 1 and I've just conceded that it's not as good. It's a solid core but every single change they made from 1, with few exceptions, seems designed to be as annoying, immemorable, or time wasting as possible. No one will ever shut the gently caress up, there's always an alarm blaring in your face, the maps are too big and the proc gen sucks. Plus it's still *really* difficult to cut a balance and decide whether a soldier death is something you can absorb, something that's pointlessly set you back a few hours, or something that's going to cause you to death spiral 15 hours down the line.

I enjoyed XCOM 1 and 2 quite a bit and I was tempted to retry them in iron man mode, but I was always worried that a couple of bad mistakes or unlucky RNGs would cause that long, slow death spiral and that was just more time than I wanted to commit for that.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Riatsala posted:

I've put countless hours into XCOM 2 trying to love it like XCOM 1 and I've just conceded that it's not as good. It's a solid core but every single change they made from 1, with few exceptions, seems designed to be as annoying, immemorable, or time wasting as possible. No one will ever shut the gently caress up, there's always an alarm blaring in your face, the maps are too big and the proc gen sucks. Plus it's still *really* difficult to cut a balance and decide whether a soldier death is something you can absorb, something that's pointlessly set you back a few hours, or something that's going to cause you to death spiral 15 hours down the line.

Xcom 2 seemed to look at people playing xcom 1 and go "okay, how do we force players to not play with slow overwatch creep?" while ignoring that Enemy Within already solved that problem.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I remember liking Xcom I think way back on PS1 and really enjoy (and miss) super cool real time strategy games. I remember digging C&C and Dune a lot, but isn't the main bitch with the newer version Xcom just coming down to blatant cheating by the AI? Not so much realizing that 90% doesn't equal 100% but just really unfair enemy placement and poo poo like that?

I could use a RTS game in my life these days but the constant reviews and comments talking about the bullshit the game constantly pulls on you has put me off checking it out at all.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Playing Devotion retroactively made the already middling Layers of Fear into crap.

Both games contain DNA from the cancelled Kojima game PT. You walk around in an enclosed domestic space while a heeby-jeeby spooks you. The difference is that Devotion has actual substance. There's a story about a prideful father who can't admit fault, and he leads his family to utter devastation when his selfish mindset falls prey to a bigger fish. It's an effective story on it's own, made better in how it's rooted in Taiwanese culture. Religions, traditional medicine, parental pressure, and the stigma of addressing mental health all feature here.

Layers of Fear was something about a painter.

I feel if a game is 15 bucks and two hours long then it should maximise it's play-time by making every moment, scene, and scrap of knowledge important. Devotion is up there with Edith Finch. It's one folly is a few unnecessary jump-scares and a bit where you get chased for 30 seconds.

Layers of Fear is the opposite where it has no original story to tell of its own, no theme to impart, and has to resort to padding out it's length with inane moon-logic puzzles. It even has to halt its climax so you have to scour a room looking for chess pieces for some reason.

I blame Dear Esther for giving some designers the wrong idea. That game was an hour of walking around while listening to a laundry list of randomized jargon. I hate it when a game sprinkles some words around and calls it 'lore'.

Go play Devotion before some "concerned gamers" try pulling it again.

https://shop.redcandlegames.com/

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

JackSplater posted:

Xcom 2 seemed to look at people playing xcom 1 and go "okay, how do we force players to not play with slow overwatch creep?" while ignoring that Enemy Within already solved that problem.

Yes! Meld was so much better than what they did in two, I have no clue what they were thinking with that sequel

BiggerBoat posted:

I remember liking Xcom I think way back on PS1 and really enjoy (and miss) super cool real time strategy games. I remember digging C&C and Dune a lot, but isn't the main bitch with the newer version Xcom just coming down to blatant cheating by the AI? Not so much realizing that 90% doesn't equal 100% but just really unfair enemy placement and poo poo like that?

I could use a RTS game in my life these days but the constant reviews and comments talking about the bullshit the game constantly pulls on you has put me off checking it out at all.
You could check out Xenonauts it's pretty much original Xcom as an indie game, not bad but hopefully the sequel irons out some of the kinks

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
by "concerned gamers" dont you mean the chinese gov?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

Please the PRC would never resort to such measures, it was a totally independent group of unaffiliated gamers whose accounts just happened to be an hour old and who each got fifty cents in their bank account.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

How dare you disparage all-time cheevo world record holder Xi Jinping

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Captain Hygiene posted:

How dare you disparage all-time cheevo world record holder Xi Jinping

A certain flash game about a lovable stuffed bear and baseball known for its difficulty even managed to snag him for a cameo

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Playing Devotion retroactively made the already middling Layers of Fear into crap.

Both games contain DNA from the cancelled Kojima game PT. You walk around in an enclosed domestic space while a heeby-jeeby spooks you. The difference is that Devotion has actual substance. There's a story about a prideful father who can't admit fault, and he leads his family to utter devastation when his selfish mindset falls prey to a bigger fish. It's an effective story on it's own, made better in how it's rooted in Taiwanese culture. Religions, traditional medicine, parental pressure, and the stigma of addressing mental health all feature here.

Layers of Fear was something about a painter.

I feel if a game is 15 bucks and two hours long then it should maximise it's play-time by making every moment, scene, and scrap of knowledge important. Devotion is up there with Edith Finch. It's one folly is a few unnecessary jump-scares and a bit where you get chased for 30 seconds.

Layers of Fear is the opposite where it has no original story to tell of its own, no theme to impart, and has to resort to padding out it's length with inane moon-logic puzzles. It even has to halt its climax so you have to scour a room looking for chess pieces for some reason.

I blame Dear Esther for giving some designers the wrong idea. That game was an hour of walking around while listening to a laundry list of randomized jargon. I hate it when a game sprinkles some words around and calls it 'lore'.

Go play Devotion before some "concerned gamers" try pulling it again.

I will grant Layers of Fear did give us this glorious moment at least :D.

Gaius Marius posted:

Yes! Meld was so much better than what they did in two, I have no clue what they were thinking with that sequel

Hell, Chimera Squad pretty much went back to that considering how many "reach this area in X turns to get a secondary objective/reward" things I recall. The only other "time pressure" was mostly just having constant enemy spawns until you left, so you if really didn't want to rush you wouldn't suddenly have a mission failure because you didn't hit an arbitrary timer, you just had to fight more enemies i.e. do more of what you're playing the game for in the first place.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Started playing Descent 3 again because I was feeling like a nostalgia trip. I somehow managed to do too much damage too fast to the Homunculus on level 5, breaking the level scripting, and my last save was a level prior...

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

BiggerBoat posted:

You're reading a thread made for endless complaining about popular games. I'm betting a big portion of those people are also unwilling to change the game difficulty. The AI doesn't cheat (it's an asymmetrical game - how?).

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Love that an actual shovelware developer is now rumored to be making a new Silent Hill because they put out a PT knockoff once for a quick buck

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The issue with X-Com is that one bad move can get you in a lot of trouble, and failure can create a sort of death spiral. Which means the random elements are more annoying when they don't go your way. (Of course if you're not playing in Hardcore mode or whatever it's called you can just reload saves if poo poo really goes wrong.) That, and the way the game will give the enemies a free action as soon as you discover them means you can often blunder across them and have no way to react when they shoot you in response.

It's not the worst thing but other strategy games have different approaches that generally don't punish you quite so much for stepping wrong.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Maxwell Lord posted:

The issue with X-Com is that one bad move can get you in a lot of trouble, and failure can create a sort of death spiral. Which means the random elements are more annoying when they don't go your way. (Of course if you're not playing in Hardcore mode or whatever it's called you can just reload saves if poo poo really goes wrong.) That, and the way the game will give the enemies a free action as soon as you discover them means you can often blunder across them and have no way to react when they shoot you in response.

It's not the worst thing but other strategy games have different approaches that generally don't punish you quite so much for stepping wrong.

Original xcom gave aliens way more reaction chances than to you, which would translate into the same outcome. Modern xcom wants you to play similarly and bumbling your way into a cluster is meant to be punishing. I replayed old xcom this month and what struck me is that the new alien cluster system fixes the problem of single alien hiding somewhere on the map and you spending 10 turns moving 10 soldiers each trying to find them.

You are meant to have your poo poo covered at all times and advance carefully. If it gets too tiresome (as all xcom games can be if you're playing for too long) just drop the difficulty, facetank and shotgun everyone.

It's really not an oversight, it's the gameplay. You're likely teabagging alien corpses 99% of the time and then a Muton kills your waifu so you get mad and post itt. That's xcom

EDIT: I haven't played XCOM2 yet, don't @ me

EDIT2: For those wishing for oldschool X-Com, just download OpenXCom it's great. Xenonauts is kind of a pointless game really.

Vic has a new favorite as of 10:17 on Mar 17, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My problem with Xcom is the roll seeding or whatever it's called. i wouldn't notice it if i wasn't a save scumming coward but you'll have a shot that has an 80% chance to hit only the game decided the next action is a failure. no matter how many times you load that show will always miss, unless you shoot with a different guy first. now you can hit that 80% because reasons

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Ruffian Price posted:

Love that an actual shovelware developer is now rumored to be making a new Silent Hill because they put out a PT knockoff once for a quick buck

In the horror thread someone mentioned that Bloober's new game "The Medium" uses the Holocaust to humanize a paedophile. I wouldnt play the game even if my computer wasnt out of date, but Im curious as to the context.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

In the horror thread someone mentioned that Bloober's new game "The Medium" uses the Holocaust to humanize a paedophile. I wouldnt play the game even if my computer wasnt out of date, but Im curious as to the context.

I watched a full playthrough, and yes, this happens. A guy lost his childhood love to the nazis (also his stepfather beat him), developed a fixation, and then something like 50 years later molests the daughter of the man he raised and thinks of as his own son.

The game also seems to end on the moral that the only way to escape the cycle of trauma is suicide!? It's really badly written, paced, acted... Just bad.

But hey, they stole a really good art style, so they must be ready to make a Silent Hill, right?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Len posted:

My problem with Xcom is the roll seeding or whatever it's called. i wouldn't notice it if i wasn't a save scumming coward but you'll have a shot that has an 80% chance to hit only the game decided the next action is a failure. no matter how many times you load that show will always miss, unless you shoot with a different guy first. now you can hit that 80% because reasons

Yeah it's because the rng is seeded presumably when the fight starts, so if you were to do everything exactly the same, the results would be the same, like dropping a die from the exact same height in the exact same way.

But if you move someone, or change the circumstances under which you roll that die, things could be different.

I played a lot of Jagged Alliance 2 back in the day, which did the same thing, so I'd frequently just, like, crouch or move one step and before retrying the shot.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
XCOM really could've used a "meta moment" checking director of some kind. Just something to examine current entity combat positions and stats and decide when it wouldn't make any drat sense to miss and just fudge the roll.

https://i.imgur.com/Czh3blo.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/5VTv5v0.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/9hTSXTx.mp4

This, while hilarious, is fuckin dumb and really should never happen.

edit: The reason this is occurring is because the players in the first two gifs are not in cover and aren't flanking, and the last one just got way unlucky it seems. Not being in cover gives you a penalty to your accuracy and the aliens are facing them so they don't count as being flanked, so statistics-wise the shot is therefore really likely to miss. But that is stupid. It's just dumb. If the player manages to get that close as a non-melee class they are either about to sacrifice some poor rookie or pulling a blitz play. They absolutely knew players were going to do that because aliens automatically spin to face you even if it's your turn if you move to 1 tile beside them, to prevent giving you the flank bonus. Roll for damage if you must but just give it to 'em man, really.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 17:21 on Mar 17, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

'Greatest soldier who ever lived', my rear end :rolleyes:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The aliens spinning around to face you actually is kind of a Reverse thing-dragging-the-game-down like someone played the eponymous Uno card or something. Since they do turn to face the tile you approached from guaranteed 100% of the time, you can game it so that one character runs at the alien out in the open such that they do a 180 and face their back to the rest of the team, giving everyone else the flanking bonus.

edit:

Sorta like this. The guy having sunglasses and the hideous duke nukem knockoff hair is necessary or else it wont work.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 17:29 on Mar 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
I agree that missing a shot point blank doesn't make sense from a realism perspective, but neither does turned based combat. No one is going to just stand there waiting for their turn while someone crosses the room and shoots them in the face.

On a similar note, I have no idea how the weapon mod (stock?) that still does damage if you miss the target works in the reality of the game, but it sure is nice. Especially in the early game when the soldiers can't hit anything.