Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I like playing Vanguard in 2/3 because - if you do it right - you can just completely ignore the cover mechanic and play like a teleporting lunatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Yeah, to be fair so did I, but I rolled Revenant. That weapon is madness.

ME:A Revenant was just depressing after 2 & 3s version :( LMGs are supposed to be fun.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Sydin posted:

I like playing Vanguard in 2/3 because - if you do it right - you can just completely ignore the cover mechanic and play like a teleporting lunatic.

Always
Be
Charging

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Rockstar Massacre posted:

yeah ME1 was fun and janky and ME2 was the all fun removed version. ME3 tightened it up a bit but it was still a dedicated cover shooter so only so much you can do to polish that turd

ME2 had the fun removed from some classes and added to others. ME1 the fun was mostly in the biotics, with the tech skills all being out-scaled and the military skills being fairly basic but effective. The fun class was the adept, with the vanguard being an adept that dropped singularity (and stasis but no one cared) for a toggle to reset their cooldowns on everything else. The Sentinel was a sucky adept which got sucky tech skills instead of marksman, warp, and singularity. Meanwhile the Engineer (as mentioned) didn't scale and the Infiltrator got all the cool parts of the Soldier's kit - Marksman, Perma-Immunity to make you almost unkillable, the Sniper Rocket Launcher (Sniper Rifle + HE ammo + Assassination + damage barrel = ridiculous damage). And they had the best engineer skills - the ones that meant you could pick party members freely, and not the medical ones or the one that only worked on Geth before rank 12.

Meanwhile ME2 how much fun it was depended on how much of a cover shooter you were playing. The ME2 Vanguard was playing pinball so was awesome. The ME2 Infiltrator kinda was - when they weren't playing "melee infiltrator", loaded up with cryo ammo and shooting enemies in the back (and then exploding them with an incinerator). The Engineer getting two pets rather than one in ME3 was huge. And the remaining three were playing normal cover shooters. The thing is I'm pretty sure that the ME2 designers didn't intend to make the melee infiltrator - or have the vanguard be a pinball machine. Mass Effect 3 on the other hand (to its credit) was prepared to take the emergent playstyles and run with them.

I'd be interested in seeing what you could do with novas and the like in ME2...

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Rynoto posted:

ME:A Revenant was just depressing after 2 & 3s version :( LMGs are supposed to be fun.

The worst gun in all of MEA, besides all of the shotguns, is the AR that swaps accuracy for fire rate, with a chargeup time. Which effectively makes it worse than useless.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Outriders is my recent game that reminds me of ME2. It's a little more Mass Effect on paper than in practice, but the devastator class is still the closest thing to a Vanguard in a while.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

besides all of the shotguns

While I'd agree for most shotguns the bowling-ball Dhan was hilariously effective even on the hardest difficulty.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I've always been a fan of pure Adept in a lot of my playthroughs. I loving lost it when I launched the vanguard boss in LotSB off the side of the apartment complex, and she showed up in the following cutscene as though she hadn't just plummeted several hundred floors. I guess she must have managed to charge back up to the ledge while I wasn't looking :shrug:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The worst gun in all of MEA, besides all of the shotguns, is the AR that swaps accuracy for fire rate, with a chargeup time. Which effectively makes it worse than useless.
When it comes to the shotguns I pretty much hated them all, despite being a hardcore Vanguard player in both ME 2 and 3 but the Geth Shotgun always felt "right" to me.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'd have to dig up the patch notes, but I'd like to remind everyone that the MEA team thought that shotguns were going to be used from behind cover

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'd have to dig up the patch notes, but I'd like to remind everyone that the MEA team thought that shotguns were going to be used from behind cover

disgusting

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Just beat ME2 with my fail Shep. On the flight to the collector base, Jack got blown up by an exploding console and Kasumi died trapped in the engine room explosion. Then Jacob got a rocket to the face after regretting to volunteer for the vents. Garrus got eaten by the seeker swarm cause Miranda's biotics weren't as strong as she claimed. And Grunt while strong, was a poor choice to lead the diversion squad.

On to ME3, I wonder if there will be enough room on the memorial wall for all those names.

sean_bateman
Feb 27, 2012

glug.gif

thank you for having the strength to do this :patriot:

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
You can now randomise everything in Mass Effect 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJVpuSJsz-k

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Oh my god I'm dying at the Sonic Adventure FaceFX setting.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kilus aof posted:

I kinda love how Orikon and Mgamerz are like the ying and yang of the Mass Effect modding community. One's like "I'm trying to make the game better." and the other's like "I'm trying to make the game worse. Soooo much worse. :getin:"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Engineer in Mass Effect 2 basically turned things into a tactical strategy game, because you've got both squadmates to order around, then the turret and and AI Hacking/Morinth's ability to create allies to draw fire.

I never actually got very far playing through the game as sentinel, but I liked the armor ability where you could buy yourself time to wander around in the open. I guess kinda like a slower, more chill version of vanguard. I never played adept all the way through either, but I can figure what it's like from throwing squad abilities around.

I don't think I've seen an action RPG after Mass Effect that gave you such different class options. They all just put everything into one skill tree and tell you to figure it out.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

kilus aof posted:

skip all minigames got my attention, the rest of the video got me wondering how to install it

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Engineer in Mass Effect 2 basically turned things into a tactical strategy game, because you've got both squadmates to order around, then the turret and and AI Hacking/Morinth's ability to create allies to draw fire.

I never actually got very far playing through the game as sentinel, but I liked the armor ability where you could buy yourself time to wander around in the open. I guess kinda like a slower, more chill version of vanguard. I never played adept all the way through either, but I can figure what it's like from throwing squad abilities around.

I don't think I've seen an action RPG after Mass Effect that gave you such different class options. They all just put everything into one skill tree and tell you to figure it out.

The fully upgraded sentinel ability generates a big Shockwave on shields dropping. It turns you from a tougher dude into a near invincible avatar of destruction.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The fully upgraded sentinel ability generates a big Shockwave on shields dropping. It turns you from a tougher dude into a near invincible avatar of destruction.

sentinel is the thinking mans vanguard

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Infiltrator is Rad once you get the antimaterial rifle that has the most satisfying noise a gigantic sniper rifle has in video game history. Cloak get your teammates to drop shields and then have the big bad guy in the pack whistling showtunes from where their head used to be.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

kilus aof posted:

my computer just crashed after i watched this video for about a minute and a half. full-on bluescreen and reboot.
this is cursed

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Moola posted:

sentinel is the thinking mans vanguard

Hard agree, Sentinel IIRC is the least or second least played class but is easily the most fun imo

To be fair, it takes a very high IQ to understand the Sentinel playstyle :j:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Simone Magus posted:

To be fair, it takes a very high IQ to understand the Sentinel playstyle :j:

:hmmyes:

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
It's me, the boringestest normie that played default male Shep / Soldier throughout the whole trilogy.

My trusty Mattock (BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM) and sucking my booboo thumb until Adrenaline Rush is off cooldown :getin:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've been playing Control lately, and some of the combat seems Mass Effect-inspired. The starting pistol has the same chonky feeling as Mass Effect's heavy pistols, and the psychic powers seem kinda reminiscent of some Mass Effect abilities.

There's not the tactical squad combat or real time with pause or big cover mechanics though.

God now I can only think about how loving awesome it would be playing a biotic that basically had Jesse's abilities :vince:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Galewolf posted:

It's me, the boringestest normie that played default male Shep / Soldier throughout the whole trilogy.

My trusty Mattock (BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM) and sucking my booboo thumb until Adrenaline Rush is off cooldown :getin:

I do Soldier default male and default female Shep too. Never bothered with Adrenaline Rush, just pumped all my points into Concussive Shot and only took an assault rifle and sniper rifle through ME3 so I had like a +300% cool down, so I was making GBS threads out Concussive Shots like a deer with diarrhea.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I prefer Adrenaline Rush but yeah, in ME3, Concussive Shot is baller as detonator.

In ME2 and ME3 I just throw in another bonus power like Drain to have bit more of a involved gameplay but Mattock (or Revenant) Soldier is extremely my jam.

I kinda found ME2 Biotic less fun after the GODMODE that is ME 1 Biotic but probably will have one Biotic and one Soldier run in LE.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Shooters keep doing this to their LMGs and chainguns and I'm convinced that it's the absolutely wrongest possible way to approach Big Fuckoff Support Weapons. People who want to shoot the biggest guns for biggest funs and spray hundreds of large caliber hole punchers down range while yelling in joy over the bark of their cannon don't want their heavy, expensive, ability restricting weapon to drip anemic little tickles for a few seconds when they fire. That sucks. No one likes that. You feel like a wimp every time you pull the trigger.

I've said it before in the Anthem thread but if you want big guns to spark joy without working immediately, replace the spin up mechanic with bracing. Aiming the gun takes longer than usual because your lead brained beef monster man has to brace for the weight and line up his shots. Krogans and Humans with enough points in Soldier or whatever can cackle maniacally while you hold L to aim. While you hold L, the gun audibly and visibly spins up but can't fire until it's done so you build anticipation for THAT MOMENT. It shouldn't take long; a second or two depending on how Big and Killy you want the player to feel. Then when you pull that trigger you immediately have MAXIMUM NOISE AND MAXIMUM VIOLENCE. You want the player to feel powerful because powerful is fun.

Really lean into it with AV effects too. If it's third person, show the character rock back and recover when the gun starts blasting to emphasize the action. Make sure you include tracers because Big Gun Warrior archetypes need feedback now that you aren't landing blades in flesh. Big muzzle flashes, echoing concussive BANGS, wild impact effects, etc. The rounds need to hit hard too- none of this business about damage per bullet being the same as SMGs so it's "balanced". The player already gives up a dangerous amount of mobility, tactical flexibility, utility powers, biotic combos and all that other stuff so they can watch their targets fly apart like God dropkicked them. If you feel like it still isn't balanced, then tie how long the cone of fire stays controlled to some stat that Soldier types will have to consider. This way curious biotics or engineers can get a little taste of the incredible fun on the other side of the fence too, but never to the degree they know could be possible if they reclassed.

Anyway that's my drive through Ted Talk about big guns.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Shooters keep doing this to their LMGs and chainguns and I'm convinced that it's the absolutely wrongest possible way to approach Big Fuckoff Support Weapons. People who want to shoot the biggest guns for biggest funs and spray hundreds of large caliber hole punchers down range while yelling in joy over the bark of their cannon don't want their heavy, expensive, ability restricting weapon to drip anemic little tickles for a few seconds when they fire. That sucks. No one likes that. You feel like a wimp every time you pull the trigger.

I've said it before in the Anthem thread but if you want big guns to spark joy without working immediately, replace the spin up mechanic with bracing. Aiming the gun takes longer than usual because your lead brained beef monster man has to brace for the weight and line up his shots. Krogans and Humans with enough points in Soldier or whatever can cackle maniacally while you hold L to aim. While you hold L, the gun audibly and visibly spins up but can't fire until it's done so you build anticipation for THAT MOMENT. It shouldn't take long; a second or two depending on how Big and Killy you want the player to feel. Then when you pull that trigger you immediately have MAXIMUM NOISE AND MAXIMUM VIOLENCE. You want the player to feel powerful because powerful is fun.

Really lean into it with AV effects too. If it's third person, show the character rock back and recover when the gun starts blasting to emphasize the action. Make sure you include tracers because Big Gun Warrior archetypes need feedback now that you aren't landing blades in flesh. Big muzzle flashes, echoing concussive BANGS, wild impact effects, etc. The rounds need to hit hard too- none of this business about damage per bullet being the same as SMGs so it's "balanced". The player already gives up a dangerous amount of mobility, tactical flexibility, utility powers, biotic combos and all that other stuff so they can watch their targets fly apart like God dropkicked them. If you feel like it still isn't balanced, then tie how long the cone of fire stays controlled to some stat that Soldier types will have to consider. This way curious biotics or engineers can get a little taste of the incredible fun on the other side of the fence too, but never to the degree they know could be possible if they reclassed.

I just wanna say I agree 100%

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

yeah it's this. One thing that was really great about ME3 was how they sold the power of different weapons through sound effects and gunfeel. The best example I can think of is when you fire the Saber (the big fuckoff marksman rifle you get during Miranda's mission) it kicks like a mule and has an incredible sound, like it's a railgun or something.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

:hellyeah:

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Pattonesque posted:

yeah it's this. One thing that was really great about ME3 was how they sold the power of different weapons through sound effects and gunfeel. The best example I can think of is when you fire the Saber (the big fuckoff marksman rifle you get during Miranda's mission) it kicks like a mule and has an incredible sound, like it's a railgun or something.

ME3 has good headshot feedback too when using those kinds of weapons

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Yeah I used the Saber in multi player and every time you shoot it is like CHONK

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Seemlar posted:

yup

Cerberus grunts would pop like melons!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Seemlar posted:

oh absolutely, the saber is practically pornographic when you hit someone in the head with it. you could unlock it (and every other weapon) with EGM for ME3 and I would use it from Mars onward, it owned

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
but come to think of it the best gun sound effect in the whole series is the sequence where you're firing the Revenant, kick in Adrenaline Rush, and listen to it go from full RPMs to beautiful slow-motion individual shots, and then back to full RPMs. It really gives the sense that Shepard is so in touch with her combat ability that she's able to briefly focus and turn this monstrous squad machine gun into a precision weapon, with the sound of it coming out of AR emphasizing that really well.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Pattonesque posted:

but come to think of it the best gun sound effect in the whole series is the sequence where you're firing the Revenant, kick in Adrenaline Rush, and listen to it go from full RPMs to beautiful slow-motion individual shots, and then back to full RPMs. It really gives the sense that Shepard is so in touch with her combat ability that she's able to briefly focus and turn this monstrous squad machine gun into a precision weapon, with the sound of it coming out of AR emphasizing that really well.

Sometimes I wonder if they do these things accidentally. Didn't the Mattock sound like the Saber in it's first appearance and then suddenly feel like a limp noodle in the next game?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Sometimes I wonder if they do these things accidentally. Didn't the Mattock sound like the Saber in it's first appearance and then suddenly feel like a limp noodle in the next game?

the Mattock was a different sound from the Saber but it was real beefy and cool, and yeah they made it sound way lamer in ME3. Most of the guns sounded and felt great so I'm not sure what happened there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
In Snake Eater there’s some machine guns that have big ole clips and snake will do an insane “rraaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH” scream when you unload them and it was the most satisfying poo poo ever.