Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I think I accidentally did a progression break in NGU because I just beat Walderp but the 2 macguffins I got have zero relation to my stats? The hell are SMART and SEXY? (other than "turn on your monitor")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Lib and let die posted:

I think I accidentally did a progression break in NGU because I just beat Walderp but the 2 macguffins I got have zero relation to my stats? The hell are SMART and SEXY? (other than "turn on your monitor")

They used to boost Beard speed stats, but these were deemed worthless so they were just renamed to SMART and SEXY rather than actual be given a bonus that did something worthwhile.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Sooo...don't bother farming and equipping them?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

sure, if you don't want to be SMART or SEXY

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

They give cosmetics if you upgrade them and nothing else. They're not really priorities.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
For those who've been starved of new games:

https://itch.io/jam/incremental-game-jam-2/results

https://semenar.itch.io/light-the-city has been interesting.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

xiw posted:

For those who've been starved of new games:

https://itch.io/jam/incremental-game-jam-2/results

https://semenar.itch.io/light-the-city has been interesting.

https://semenar.itch.io/incremental-game-jam-game is a meta game that showcases many of the submissions. Recommended.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

jumping in here because a friend (and lapsed goon) was part of a group that just released something relevant to the discussion: https://thisgameishaunted.itch.io/trash-the-planet Trash the Planet, where you're a raccoon with a dream.

it's free via Itch to play in browser. hopefully y'all give it a shot.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

harperdc posted:

jumping in here because a friend (and lapsed goon) was part of a group that just released something relevant to the discussion: https://thisgameishaunted.itch.io/trash-the-planet Trash the Planet, where you're a raccoon with a dream.

is there any way to get this to work when not foregrounded? Like I still have it visible and everything but it the instant I switch focus.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I recently came back to NGU after like 200 days away. I'm almost ready to start Sadistic, but I don't have enough stats to beat v4 exile. My stats are all like in the E+24 range, and wiki says I need E+26. I'm BBing all the NGUs, I'm doing 24h ascenscions for ygg fruit, I've maxed out all possible wishes, and all but one of the quest perks. I do still have a number of regular perks to max, including one of the Rich Perks for adventure stats, but that is gonna take a w h i l e

I might be an issue with my resource 3. I have a cap of 11E+9 at the moment. Maybe I need to get that way higher and focus on adventure stat hacks?

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
I just started playing NGU, and then got the newbie pack once I found out the dev is a goon! Is the goon NGU discord still active, or would this be the place for questions?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

harperdc posted:

This was very good.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

JavaJesus posted:

I've got the maxxed items for Rock Lobster V2, and I'm trying to see if I can extend this already long rebirth to push up to V3. I also just finished getting the gear for the Duck Zone.

Of course, like I thought last night it's definitely not sustainable. Just overnight, keeping everything at 150% of cap took another couple quintillion Energy/Magic. Once my current potions run out I might use one more set of the 24 hour E/M potions and try to finish the push to Rock Lobster V3, but aside from that and maybe a Hack day I think I'm approaching a return to daily rebirths for XP to buff E/M stats.

Thanks! Your card bonuses were what I was most interested in; I've been mostly ignoring those card types (like 200% tops) in favor of wish/hack/PP/QP/Adv and am debating how sharp my correction should be. I just did a long rebirth to get IT HUNGERS v2-4 along with Bread/70s sets, plus I managed to snipe a few of each Halloween item, which are now day-caring. I'm thinking the legs there should give me a good boost.

IAmThatIs posted:

I just started playing NGU, and then got the newbie pack once I found out the dev is a goon! Is the goon NGU discord still active, or would this be the place for questions?

The discord is still around, although it's sleeping while we wait for 4G to finish 1.0 of his other game and come back to finalize the last NGU update. There are people there who can answer questions, but here's probably just as good.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 17, 2021

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

harperdc posted:

This is really neat, tell your friend that they did a good job!

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This is really neat, tell your friend that they did a good job!

Yeah! I just finished it and it ruled. Excellent work!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
someone in the Synergism discord linked Calculator Evolution

https://spotky1004.github.io/Calculator-Evolution/

which is not half bad, I appreciate the way it makes me feel like I'm making progress basically every time I do anything

edit: also this raccoon game owns and I love all the dumb flavor text and limericks and everything

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 17, 2021

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

harperdc posted:

this owns bones

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

someone in the Synergism discord linked Calculator Evolution

https://spotky1004.github.io/Calculator-Evolution/

which is not half bad, I appreciate the way it makes me feel like I'm making progress basically every time I do anything

edit: also this raccoon game owns and I love all the dumb flavor text and limericks and everything

I stopped playing this around quantum lab 12 or so, because it was the old problem of having to look up what build is optimal for every one

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Raccoon Game Is Good

the only quibble I have is that it has to be active to progress, even in a new window if it's not the thing on your screen it freezes, and that's a bummer

but it's good and I dug it a lot

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

GrossMurpel posted:

I stopped playing this around quantum lab 12 or so, because it was the old problem of having to look up what build is optimal for every one
yeah I made that post before I got to QL7 and had to go discord > actual google docs spreadsheet just to be able to farm the quarks to get to the next quantum lab

and there was no breakpoint in sight so I actually quit at exactly QL12 too

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Where is Synergism going?

I played for a bout a month when ascension launched and got to 30/30/17/30, capped w5x10 and 10e9 cubes/sec.
Returned to the game a week or so ago and its literally just the same gameplay day after day.
Reset, spend cubes/hypers/platonics, buy tess buildings, redo challenges, wait a day. Every day i get a few % more cubes/sec and am up to 120e9 now.
I have tier2 of C15.

Is this it? Just get higher numbers? Does more content unlock and/or the gameplay loop change?

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
Most of the content from then forward is mostly the same with just small differing strategies of pushing corruptions in cube run, offering/const run, and occasional c15 run. Each completion of alpha and beta changes things slightly in this regard but overall that's it, just managing that. It's the endgame.

Seems like there will be one more update / steam release, and then continued work on a new game.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

DACK FAYDEN posted:

yeah I made that post before I got to QL7 and had to go discord > actual google docs spreadsheet just to be able to farm the quarks to get to the next quantum lab

and there was no breakpoint in sight so I actually quit at exactly QL12 too

Gotta hit QL80 to get to the next tier of reset. There's a couple mechanics that make the next retreads easier... but it's not easy enough to where I can fault anyone for dropping it early. It's very slow to get to QL80 the first time, and it's not really that much faster the second time, and I don't expect the *25 achievement or even the extra 4 processes or Keep I to make the #3 run-up better either. Still want to see what's next, and there's points later in where you can use the same build for multiple labs in a row or even bulk up, but it's too fiddly for too long right now to be fun as-is.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I feel like i'm stagnating in matter dimensions

Getting close to atomic, but i can't get the exponented grativic challenge finished and having to do 15 resets per upgrade is getting really tedious. Do i get the thing with vacuumic challenges and see if I can knock them out? Whats the correct 4split to take? do I need to do a long run with lots of temp?

i'd prefer not to add another idle discord to my poo poo because i get tired of all the gat dang pings

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Feline Mind Meld posted:

Getting close to atomic, but i can't get the exponented grativic challenge finished and having to do 15 resets per upgrade is getting really tedious. Do i get the thing with vacuumic challenges and see if I can knock them out? Whats the correct 4split to take? do I need to do a long run with lots of temp?

i'd prefer not to add another idle discord to my poo poo because i get tired of all the gat dang pings

you can right click the server icon in discord and disable notifications

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Just a quick reminder that I am alive and NGU-I is coming out in Early Access on April, if yall are into that.

Probably a couple months of content in the game from launch, and ofc I will furiously add more as I go.

The story has art in it this time!

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

something posted:

The story has art in it this time!

U forgot the “f”

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Feline Mind Meld posted:

What I realized is that you MUST respec vacuum upgrades at some point. If you're far enough down to the last branch (with 4 options), try respeccing left on the 3 and 4 way splits. This will pump your 3rd matter dimensions super high and let you buy a couple more theorems before you re-respec to raise the resource cap again.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Feline Mind Meld posted:

I don't get many pings from their discord, if that helps.

If you want to farm shards prior to breaking infinity, take the middle branch on the three-way split.

Anyway your target is 24 theorems. Go down the matter branch at the 3-way, allocate your neutrons, and hit a photonic reset. This should give you a bunch of 3rd dimensions for theorems. Then respec your theorem tree. Go down the gravitonic branch on the 3way, pause to pick up the "unused theorems give you extra cap" on the way down, then take the 3rd (gravitonic) branch on the 4 way.

Once you have done that, farm some waves and run your temperature as hot as you can stand it. Then once you've done that, just run photonic resets for a while until you can break infinity and go atomic.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

neongrey posted:

I don't get many pings from their discord, if that helps.

I dunno how anyone functions on Discord without the first thing you do on a new server being changing the notification settings to "only @mentions, suppress @everyone and @here".

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Onion Rings posted:

Just wanted to pop in and say if you haven't given it a shot, do check out Ethereal Farm (https://lodev.org/etherealfarm/) which was mentioned a bit ago. Seems quite polished so far, not very active, has a chill vibe and the dev seems very active. Just wanted to get more attention on it since it seems to have very low userbase.

Oh lord, my account will be 20 years old this year. That's terrifying.

I can concur that it's a very good time. I especially like how the challenges work, all of them being good twists on the formula and giving you a unique bonus for a milestone and a production % increase based on furthest level reached. I'm actually kinda reluctant to look up info on it because I'm sure it's not that difficult to calculate optimal layouts, and knowing that would ruin the fun of coming to my own conclusions on what works well.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

I dunno how anyone functions on Discord without the first thing you do on a new server being changing the notification settings to "only @mentions, suppress @everyone and @here".

I mean I like to know when these games update and some just do it with an @here rather than a role, which is fine, if that's the only thing you use @here for, which it should be

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Re: Calculator Evolution, apparently buying quantum upgrades only requires having the Qubits to do so, not also buying every upgrade above them.
this took me a while to figure out, so if anyone else hadn't thought of it, it's a thing you can do.

philbr
May 2, 2009

Pigbuster posted:

I can concur that it's a very good time. I especially like how the challenges work, all of them being good twists on the formula and giving you a unique bonus for a milestone and a production % increase based on furthest level reached. I'm actually kinda reluctant to look up info on it because I'm sure it's not that difficult to calculate optimal layouts, and knowing that would ruin the fun of coming to my own conclusions on what works well.

Fully agreed. The optimal layout changes with the seasons as well, which keeps things interesting. Who cares if they're 23.71 % less efficient than the perfect minmaxed layout mindlessly taken from the Discord, it's fun figuring out stuff on your own. That said, here's my current layout, mild spoilers for lategame content:

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Pigbuster posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I *am* scouring the Discord for that kind of info and it’s very hard to find, in that there is still a bunch of theorycrafting and mechanics uncovering going on in this game, let alone frequent updates changing/adding content, so there is not any one Ultimate Layout that everyone follows chapter and verse, still a lot of experimentation going on.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Feline Mind Meld posted:

neongrey’s advice is all good, but I’ll add that yes, you should unlock vacuumic challenges as soon as you can. VC1-4 and 6 are doable at that point or not long after. Don’t forget to occasionally go back to neutronic challenges and see if you can get more completions there, too.

The ^0.7 gravitonic challenge is very hard and you can come back to it later. Don’t even think about the gravitonic meta-challenge until you’re well into the atomic stage.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

what do i do when i first unlock gravitonic challenges

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Aerox posted:

U forgot the “f”

the "f" is silent

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Skip the first two and try the rest out for size. I forget which you can do right away but you'll be able to tell immediately if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I barely use Discord anyway so if I join a server to check some information, I just leave it immediately afterwards. Guys on the Ordinal Markup server told me to stop joining and leaving once, lol.
Put the loving changelog on the website then