Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Krull is so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Barudak posted:

Stranger of Sword city has some great art and a neat hook but it has a lot of rough edges almost all in tedium due to poor QoL. The updated version eases this some, for instance nerfing a dungeon so cruel I can't believe they shipped like that, but plenty of other stuff is still not actually fixed. You will still be making insanely long runs back through dungeons and grinding mindlessly while always facing a chance to just sort of have all your time wasted due to critical hits.

Rerelease is like a 7 out of ten to the base games 5 or 6.

Elaborate on your cruel dungeon thesis please, I’d love to hear about poorly designed dungeons that required a remake to fix. I gather that it’s more than enemies that can one hit your part? I’ve also been interested in the Sword City games but that interest has cooled based on your feedback here

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Nate RFB posted:

I played it for the first time in 2020 and it was honestly a "Jesus why wasn't everyone losing it over how good this game is in 2017?" sort of feeling. Like yeah that year was crazy stacked but god drat, people should have been shoving it down everyone's throat that year.

some of us were

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/rockpapershot/status/1371968334200209408?s=20

It reads like a joke.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I want to hear about this unbelievably cruel dungeon, I want to know what it takes for a dungeon-crawler to earn that distinction

LawfulWaffle posted:

cruel dungeon thesis

:hmmyes:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I'm trying to think of a dungeon crawler I REALLY like other than like, SMT games. Siralim is technically a dungeon crawler but doesnt have poo poo like damage tiles or teleporter mazes

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They're called dungeon crawlers......

But aren't you walking most of the time?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

speak for yourself

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I haven't played enough dungeon crawlers honestly but I adore the Etrian Odyssey games and I want more of them.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I demand teleportation mazes and multistage hours long super bosses. Will any game sate my desires?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Waffleman_ posted:

holy poo poo

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
When u think about it, Ultima Underworld was the original walking sim

:thunkher:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Simone Magus posted:

Krull is so good

:hmmyes:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Expose him immediately!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

hatty posted:

I demand teleportation mazes and multistage hours long super bosses. Will any game sate my desires?

The final boss of smt Apocalypse does not take that long to kill but it does have one hell of a teleportation maze to make up the final dungeon.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Teleporters in dungeon walking games are some bullshit

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Oh good I'm getting the spell that summons the goosebumps lawn gnomes

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Hunt11 posted:

The final boss of smt Apocalypse does not take that long to kill but it does have one hell of a teleportation maze to make up the final dungeon.

Yeah it was one of my favorite parts but I understand why people hated it. Stephen in the DLC was a fun super boss too if only because of his phase change being him getting out of the wheelchair he’s been in for the entire series.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Hunt11 posted:

i think a good dungeon crawler has gotta have at least one dungeon that's actively hostile to the player

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

YHVH's domain was atlus telling everyone who complained about how short it's dungeons were to suck their dicks.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Does Ys Origin and the second part of Ys 1 count as a dungeon crawl? Or a dungeon climb I guess?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Oh hey it's the same way the police investigate themselves for wrongdoing I guess the system really does work

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

FirstAidKite posted:

Does Ys Origin and the second part of Ys 1 count as a dungeon crawl? Or a dungeon climb I guess?

Oh man Ys Origins is so good

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

Ys Origin: no, it is not a dungeon unless it is under the ground

Ys II: some underground environments, however the ground itself is floating miles in the air; dungeonality is indeterminate

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

Ys Origin: no, it is not a dungeon unless it is under the ground

Ys II: some underground environments, however the ground itself is floating miles in the air; dungeonality is indeterminate

By this logic Etrian Odyssey 2 would not be a dungeon crawler though

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The base recipe is here: https://www.justonecookbook.com/okinawa-soba/ but I didn't have half of that stuff so I did my best to substitute while keeping the spirit lol

Meat was beef stewed in sake, soy sauce, and maple syrup (!) (I don't have black sugar...) whisked with enough water to cover in my instant pot, 25 minutes pressure cooked then on the stove reduced until some sauce clung to the meat.
Soup was chicken broth, a splash of soy sauce and dash of salt. Brought to a boil, tossed in some shrimp, and after a few minutes reduced the heat and stirred in some kondashi powder.
Noodles: I have tons of ramen noodles and nothing else lol. Dreaming of the day I can go to the Asian grocer soon...
Finished with chopped scallions, I don't have pickled red ginger but I sliced up some sushi ginger

The flavor and texture of the meat was really good, and the soup was exactly as Ann described

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
just thought i'd pop in and say i'm playing through ys 8 right now and that games is pretty great. little paro is my little buddy

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

Elaborate on your cruel dungeon thesis please, I’d love to hear about poorly designed dungeons that required a remake to fix. I gather that it’s more than enemies that can one hit your part? I’ve also been interested in the Sword City games but that interest has cooled based on your feedback here

The game introduces teleport stones and connected dungeons and then goes "oh yeah, uh all the stones are in the first ring so if you want to do any dungeon after the first few walk your self back". A late dungeon is multiple dungeons away from the teleport stone and the gimmick is all abilities including passives are disabled. For many character types this turns them into dead weight (literal guide recommendations are "give them a shield and select defend every turn). The dungeon then becomes a slog of just mashing auto and, again, losing any party member is basically a full reset walk all the way back and since none of your abilities like passive aggro don't work just gotta hope!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

I need to memorialize here the fact that Video Games just killed himself in Dark Souls 2 by jumping off a high ledge with no health, and it made Lady Video Games so mad that she got out of bed and came into the room to yell at him.

E: poo poo I should have clipped that, I don't know how to Twitch good

Draga posted:

One hell of a way to end the stream too. Good times.

EDIT: Clipped for posterity

Rarity posted:

Had a great time watching VG die a bunch jumping off of things in Dark Souls 2 tonight :3:

wuggles posted:

VG, I napped with your stream on. But I’ve been sick, and it was a nice nap, so I needed that thank you.

Firstly, that clip cracked me up. I had no idea she was so loud behind me as I had headphones on. :D She was so mad!

Secondly, thank you all and everyone else who watched my continuing journey through Drangleic last night. It was possibly the MOST fun stream I have ever had and I felt so happy and laughed so hard the entire time. Being distracted by robot wars and dying to the Royal Rat Vanguard was another highlight or perhaps accidentally running into the Bell Gargoyles again and one shotting them without realising it was a proper boss. I think that is my secret. Playing obliviously is the key to success :D

Four bosses beaten last night: Skeleton Lords, Mytha the poison windmill, Bell gargoyles, Royal Rat Vanguard and I knocked the pursuer over again. Plus I found the Dragon's Tooth and have been crushing the opposition.

Anyway, I loved it and I am glad I actually posted my link for once because the chat was bustling and like I said on stream, it reminded me of when I would play games with my school friends at one of our houses and we would all work together and have a wicked time!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The viewing figures for your stream VG were a bit inaccurate cuz it wouldn't have accounted for Lady Corn watching along with me. She really gets a kick out of the commentary between you and LVG. Also some of my comments may have been hers lol

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

fridge corn posted:

The viewing figures for your stream VG were a bit inaccurate cuz it wouldn't have accounted for Lady Corn watching along with me. She really gets a kick out of the commentary between you and LVG. Also some of my comments may have been hers lol

Hahaha I will let LVG know :D

Also forgot that I beat the covetus demon. And opened up Iron Keep. No idea how they hid that place! And found what looks like another Blighttown. So two ways to go and have fun! Plus I might try to take on that dragon in Heidi again. Maybe I could remove all my armour so I would run towards it faster. Unless shields help against fire? No idea!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I'm not much of a food poster but I'm very happy to drinkspost.

Parts Unknown

1.5oz aged rum (I used Angostura 1824. The original recipe calls for Ron Zacapa 23 which strikes me as a complete waste).
0.5oz lemon juice
0.75oz creme de cassis (I'm using Phillipe de Bourgogne)
0.25oz orgeat (I normally make my own but I've got some BG Reynolds so using that)

Shaken over ice, strained into a highball glass, topped with Guiness Draught and garnished with a lime wheel.

It's pleasant but not necessarily something I'd leap to making again. The creme de cassis flavour is very dominant, though the Guinness cuts the sweetness quite a bit.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I've not completed Prey but i should because its clearly brilliant.

I get this weird thing like ladder anxiety with single player games where i almost dont want to see the end so i never actually play them.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That looks classy.

The different glasses and garnishes always get me when it comes to drinks

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t even remember why I brought up Robot Wars to begin with but within seconds it had caused pandemonium

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t even remember why I brought up Robot Wars to begin with but within seconds it had caused pandemonium

I reiterate that Hypno Disc was My Boy.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Draga posted:

I reiterate that Hypno Disc was My Boy.

Roadblock is bae

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
There was once a robot on robot wars that was just a giant sphere. It ruled

Adbot