Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

If I remember right DICE were brought in to consult on the weapon audio and handling for ME3, which explains why almost everything feels really satisfying to use.

The Mattock got rebalanced into a stopgap between the full/auto burst ARs and the endgame death machines like the Saber. Same thing happened with the Phalanx in the pistol category, which was even more tragic. The Paladin filled its niche of a slow-firing hand cannon, but was a visual downgrade due to lacking the laser sight and being a reskin of the Carnifex. We did at least get the Talon and Executioner to make up for that loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Bloody Pom posted:

We did at least get the Talon and Executioner to make up for that loss.

Huge fan of the Talon, great gun. Very meaty.

I loved the weapon variety in ME3 so much. Like if you look at ARs, you have:

three distinct full-auto AR variants
four or five burst-fire ARs
three machine guns
two or three marksman rifles
two or three AOE rifles
two particle-type rifles

and they all feel different. really great stuff.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Sometimes I wonder if they do these things accidentally. Didn't the Mattock sound like the Saber in it's first appearance and then suddenly feel like a limp noodle in the next game?

Yep, that was a really strange change

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

One of my personal favorites was the Kishock, the batarian 'sniper rifle' that was actually a loving harpoon gun. Really cumbersome to use due to the chargeup time and bullet drop, but so satisfying when you hit an unshielded target and they go flying off a ledge. It may have also been able to nail corpses to walls but I'm probably misremembering.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Oh I gently caress with the Talon. I used that loving thing on so many of my MP characters, especially vanguards

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Bloody Pom posted:

One of my personal favorites was the Kishock, the batarian 'sniper rifle' that was actually a loving harpoon gun. Really cumbersome to use due to the chargeup time and bullet drop, but so satisfying when you hit an unshielded target and they go flying off a ledge. It may have also been able to nail corpses to walls but I'm probably misremembering.

YES!!!! The Kishock fuckin owned

I'm extremely upset my PS3 and laptop are both in Ireland, I suddenly want to play ME3MP all night

I'm 100% certain people still play it on the regular

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
ME3 had automatic assault shotguns, sniper rifles that pinned enemies to walls with rebar harpoons, sticky-explosive shotguns and pistols, multiple varieties of grenade rifle, the Graal Spike Thrower, railguns, armor piercing slug shotguns, and antimaterial rifles. There were a couple of weird wiffs but the arsenal was uncharacteristically good for a Bioware game.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
It had a better variety of guns than most games by Experienced Gun Developers

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

ME3 has probably some of the most creative weapon lineups outside of early console shooters like Timesplitters and Perfect Dark. I really hope if the remaster sells well that they'll re-release the multiplayer as a standalone F2P thing. I know I'd play it even if they make the microtransaction bullshit even more predatory, because the gameplay loop was simply that good.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
personal favorites across the series:

N-7 Piranha because any shotgun with a drum magazine is ace and cool
Locust because of how accurate it was
Saber for KACHOW KACHOW KACHOW
Revenant for the Adrenaline Rush combo
Talon because pistol shotguns own
Scorpion because pistol grenade launchers own
Black Widow because it's a Mantis with three shots
Claymore because of how it played with a vanguard

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
The best ME3 weapons followed the whole "every action has an equal but opposite reaction" rule with effective audiovisual effects to match their game mechanics and stats. Big booms and muzzle flashes for big beefy guns, little pews for little weebly geth blasters and auto pistols, enemies that went flying when hit by the big boys and suitably reacted when hit by things they don't care about. When you start mismatching those things your gunfeel starts to fall apart. The haptic feedback capability with the PS5 controller should be able to really sell it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I love the N7 Valkyrie and its semi auto burst fire, but hate its recoil. So being able to mod the coalesced files in ME3 on PC to crank that poo poo down to a manageable level was fantastic.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The only thing is there are very few "good" SMGs. IIRC there were only like, 1 or 2 that you'd even consider running in Platinum because every other category had a bunch of varied weapons

Geth SMG and uh, the Collector one were good

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
That poo poo was fun as hell

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I liked whichever human SMG it was that hit really hard and fired really quickly but with a huge kick, and pairing it with the Turian soldier ability to have increased fire rate and lowered recoil temporarily. Stupid fun but nearly unusable on platinum.

Edit: I want to say it was the N7 hurricane? The tempest worked out fine too.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 17, 2021

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I liked whichever human SMG it was that hit really hard and fired really quickly but with a huge kick, and pairing it with the Turian soldier ability to have increased fire rate and lowered recoil temporarily. Stupid fun but nearly unusable on platinum.

The Hurricane is insanely good on a Turian soldier with max level stability mods and armour piercing ammo, when you fire it from cover with Marksman active it is a laser pointer that eats things alive

You're basically a walking A-10, brrrrrrrt

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Seemlar posted:

The Hurricane is insanely good on a Turian soldier with max level stability mods and armour piercing ammo, when you fire it from cover with Marksman active it is a laser pointer that eats things alive

You're basically a walking A-10, brrrrrrrt

You're right; I just checked youtube and Walking A-10 is an exact description. Destroyer with Typhoon is ~almost~ perfect too. It still pops off a 1 23 halting shots building up the fire rate but otherwise it looks, sounds, and hits just right.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Oh yeah the Hurricane was the "good" SMG. It ran out of ammo super fast but slap an ammo power on it and brrrrrrrrrrr

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The Cerberus SMG - Hornet? Was a stealth GOOD GUN too. Stack up the stab mods and it became a laser pointer drilling 6 rounds into someone's head.

Very, very situational though.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Seemlar posted:

ME3 has good headshot feedback too when using those kinds of weapons

My favorite was the chunks and blood spray when you kill an organic enemy with a fire combo

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
I'm still a fan of the ME1 acid/plutonium ammo that turned enemies into a goo pile

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Kurieg posted:

My favorite was the chunks and blood spray when you kill an organic enemy with a fire combo

The one that looked like someone detonated a balloon full of red corn syrup? So great.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
no love for the Striker? the Krogan automatic grenade launcher that fired faster the longer you held down the strigger

BOOM! BOOM BOOM! BOOMBOOMBOOBMBOOM! HAHA! *headbutt*

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

what was the sniper rifle that went like fweeeeERRRRP pow! with every shot? i dont even like using snipers but i loved using that gun just because of how it sounded

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

what was the sniper rifle that went like fweeeeERRRRP pow! with every shot? i dont even like using snipers but i loved using that gun just because of how it sounded

The Javelin. One of the best multiplayer updates they ever did was letting damage bleed over between defense layers if you did enough in a single attack. It effectively made the Javelin Geth Infiltrator setup one of the most powerful builds you could have because it could one shot nearly anything.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I remember a few moments in the campaign where if you needed to use a pistol for slow mo and had the scorpion equipped, the grenades would be too slow and you would just lose.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

i feel like i'm the only person that played soldier (mattock gang) and didn't use adrenaline rush. AR made aiming super awkward for me

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 17, 2021

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I wish the SP infiltrator skills applied bonuses to shotguns as well. EDI/geth hunter shotgun build was a monster in MP.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

bobjr posted:

I remember a few moments in the campaign where if you needed to use a pistol for slow mo and had the scorpion equipped, the grenades would be too slow and you would just lose.

this is when you have to shoot the EDI robot on Mars. Some weapons would not let you damage her enough in time.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Shooters keep doing this to their LMGs and chainguns and I'm convinced that it's the absolutely wrongest possible way to approach Big Fuckoff Support Weapons. People who want to shoot the biggest guns for biggest funs and spray hundreds of large caliber hole punchers down range while yelling in joy over the bark of their cannon don't want their heavy, expensive, ability restricting weapon to drip anemic little tickles for a few seconds when they fire. That sucks. No one likes that. You feel like a wimp every time you pull the trigger.

It was dorky as hell, but I loved the way you'd scream the entire time when firing the minigun in Far Cry Blood Dragon, iirc. They knew the score.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

this is when you have to shoot the EDI robot on Mars. Some weapons would not let you damage her enough in time.

The one downside to using the Executioner.

BLAM "Oh poo poo reload reload fuuuu-":gibs:

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Pattonesque posted:

I had to replay the drat scene 20 times because I read the description for the Acolyte and thought "this sounds interesting to try out" at the last weapon change point before the chase. At least it was technically possible to pass with the Acolyte, you just had perfectly time when to release each charge down to fractions of a second!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Last time I played I'm pretty sure I did Vanguard. Charging everywhere owns.

It's been a while though. I'll definitely check out the legendary edition when it comes out. I enjoyed Me3 a lot even with the scuffed ending, and Me2 is one of the best rpgs I've played. 1 is solid also. I think next time I play I'll probably try Engineer or Infiltrator.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Blood Pack Executioner is love, Blood Pack Executioner is life

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I remember taking a shine to the Suppressor when it got added, didn't it have a higher headshot multiplier than any other gun in the game?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Ginette Reno posted:

Last time I played I'm pretty sure I did Vanguard. Charging everywhere owns.

It's been a while though. I'll definitely check out the legendary edition when it comes out. I enjoyed Me3 a lot even with the scuffed ending, and Me2 is one of the best rpgs I've played. 1 is solid also. I think next time I play I'll probably try Engineer or Infiltrator.

Infiltrator is well-equipped for the county fair shooting gallery of most ME2 missions. Only challenge is the limited ammo reserves of some sniper rifles, but a) it's not a problem once you get the Widow, and b) it's easy enough to mod on PC

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/Mgamerz/status/1372424543172587520

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Oh hey I didn't know this topic was here. Teach me to pay attention.

So, I'm... mildly confused. I'm going through Mass Effect 2 with the ME2 Recalibrated mod. And uhh, one of two things has happened:

a) It adds a 2nd Jack Biotic Boost upgrade that's not properly labelled as a 2nd upgrade that becomes available after her loyalty mission
b) Something went fucky and it un-researched the Jack Biotic Boost after her loyalty mission

I would suggest I might have derped and never grabbed the upgrade in the first place, but it wasn't on the research terminal before her loyalty mission, and I haven't gone to talk to her following it yet.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 20, 2021

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

oh my god the claymore with a smart choke is a mid-long range weapon :stwoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm rolling a Claymore, Talon, and Revenant at the moment. Previously I was Claymore/Hurricane/Saber.

I want to change things up. I'm very happy with my Claymore, I want an AR that is fairly accurate and fast firing and reasonably damaging that isn't the Harrier because I always take that, and I'm still debating whether I go with a heavy pistol or a sniper rifle for my third weapon.

Thoughts?
I guess I could swap the Claymore for a Crusader and use that as my range weapon too.