Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i too am surprised that i am bisexual

edit: snipe lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I can't wait for page 1000; we're really gonna be rolling by then

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

2/3 brothers have now exiled themselves from Twitter. Is Justin next? If so, where will he go to learn that Wendy's has a new burger with soy sauce or whatever?

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

If it had just been the first tweet or two, no one would have cared. It's that he kept adding to it and each response talked more about how he's super straight and it's funny he doesn't act like it.

Also important to note zero people seemed outraged. Half didn't care and half responded to tell him it came off super cringey.
...it's 4 whole tweets, 2 would have been okay?? Are there more than the screenshot I'm missing or something?

But yeah, it's cringy as hell like pretty much all of his other tweets. I guess I was reading into what people are saying here and saw a couple of angry replies on Twitter and expected something remotely outrage-inducing.

um excuse me posted:

Clarifying that he's straight after delivering a bisexual joke is the insecure part. Like it made any difference to the point he was trying to make. I'll be pretty honest and say that I didn't catch that on first read, but being socially aware is about learning this perspective, right?
How is that demonstrating insecurity when if he didn't, there would absolutely immediately be people asking "wait are you bi?" in response? Like that is what I would have I wondered if I wasn't already aware that the bros all identify as straight, because like many of their fans, I am a queermo who is interested in whether people who make stuff I like are also queer. Him not clarifying would have been tantamount to pretending to be bi, which would have been way worse imo.

Shinjobi posted:

I can't wait for page 1000; we're really gonna be rolling by then
:stroop:

at least we're not talking about munch squad

e: too bad I just changed my title, clearly shoulda put The Travis Defender in there

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 17, 2021

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
He posted it for progressive pats on the back while also throwing his hands up in the air and going "But I'm not bi! That's for sure! Don't misunderstand!" It's not necessarily bad, but it's really exhausting. And someone finally told him.

He's also posted he's taking a break from Twitter

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I mean you can comment on someone’s objective attractiveness without bringing sexual preference into it, it’s quite easy actually

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i hope the break is permanent

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Good for him for communicating the underlying issue I guess.

Progress.

I don't expect people to be paragons of virtue just don't gently caress up around the same thing more than... idk 5 times? maybe 6 if ya nasty?

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
It’s not problematic it’s just annoying as poo poo much like everything he does.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

yeah actually they will posted:

for the benefit of future generations
thank you

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

He's a non practicing cultural gay
lol

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Colonel Whitey posted:

I watched Travis' happy hour twitch stream yesterday (pretty much only because Griffin Newman was on it and he told his crazy story of finding heroin in the disney store) and Travis just could not stop interrupting everyone with his hit or miss jokes

edit: After Griffin's really good story, Travis then told what he thought was a really funny story, and it was just about the time Theresa got drunk and it was boring but Travis got to tell a story too

god, now I’m picturing a podcast that’s just Travis and Liam Anderson from WTYP

guess that’s what awaits me in hell

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Stroop There It Is posted:

How is that demonstrating insecurity when if he didn't, there would absolutely immediately be people asking "wait are you bi?" in response? Like that is what I would have I wondered if I wasn't already aware that the bros all identify as straight, because like many of their fans, I am a queermo who is interested in whether people who make stuff I like are also queer. Him not clarifying would have been tantamount to pretending to be bi, which would have been way worse imo.

Basically this. Like he's saying he thinks Harry Styles is attractive and yes he does clarify that he isn't bi but honestly how can he win here? If he just tweets that he's having a man crush people will then message him asking if he's Bi or assume he is which might gently caress with his fanbase if he later says he's straight, if he covers that misunderstanding by saying he's not Bi now he's insecure about his sexuality or he's making a no homo joke?

But that's of course just looking at it separate from his later tweets. Now he's claiming he's had a breakthrough where he's realised he's just tweeting poo poo like that to get kudos for being progressive? Which is fairly lovely. Doesnt he have mental health issues related to narcissism? (Yes he does I just googled it) So I guess it's not exactly surprising.

The Brothers have made a lot of strides to be progressive and they get a lot of praise for it, so it doesnt really surprise me that Travis, who claims to be a narcissist would latch onto that and do his utmost to keep that praise going anyway he can, having a fanbase combined with twitter is basically an awful thing if you have a type of disorder that relishes being the centre of attention.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

he could just say 'im not into guys but harry styles is pretty cute' instead of 'yes, IM surprised im not bi' like its a big twist four tweets into a chain. like it doesnt have to be a joke or a bit, it can just be a comment. it's not the biggest deal in the world or anything but its a lame, attention-seeking thing from a guy who self-admittedly does that a lot.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

what if he just didn't post

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I get it though: Gender-wise he probably qualifies as queer, and people get that confused with sexuality all the time. But if you already assumed he's bi/pan, there's no weight to him saying he has a crush on a dude because of course he does. It's really not that difficult, edgy, or offensive, and people seriously look for reasons to be mad at him because he's annoying sometimes.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Endorph posted:

he could just say 'im not into guys but harry styles is pretty cute'

Wouldnt he just be accused of making a no homo joke in that case?

But yea as he admitted it's all for the attention and it is still lame/ cringe, especially if he has a history of similar jokes about his orientation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Just Chamber posted:

Wouldnt he just be accused of making a no homo joke in that case?
no because it wouldnt be a joke? like the issue people have is the thing was framed as a joke, not that he said 'im not really into guys but styles is my type.'

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

Gender-wise he probably qualifies as queer

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I'm just offended that he thought he was funny.

sticklefifer posted:

Gender-wise he probably qualifies as queer

I pre-qualified as trans but my credit wasn't good enough to identify.

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 17, 2021

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Endorph posted:

he could just say 'im not into guys but harry styles is pretty cute' instead of 'yes, IM surprised im not bi' like its a big twist four tweets into a chain. like it doesnt have to be a joke or a bit, it can just be a comment. it's not the biggest deal in the world or anything but its a lame, attention-seeking thing from a guy who self-admittedly does that a lot.

That's pretty much it. It came off as skeezy to people because he tried to make it a joke. A straight person trying to be jokey about other people's identities is gonna feel iffy no matter what you do, which is how he created his own no win scenario there.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Alaois posted:

what if he just didn't post

Idk how the joke works but whatever state your monitor is in, make it the other one.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/dril/status/247222360309121024?s=20

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

yeah actually they will posted:

as a bi person with depression i'm pretty sure about how i feel about this tweet

As a straight person with depression, I think we have similar feelings about that tweet. One day, I’ll finally be a semi-famous Internet personality who can blame all their public gaffes and bad decisions on having depression.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Griffin had the right idea in basically ditching Twitter except for occasionally posting promos for stuff he's actually doing. If you have a fanbase like the McElroys you should just never tweet, because inevitably something will be taken badly or someone will accuse you of being a megahitler because of Glass Shark or whatever.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
And twitter suuuuuucks.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

you either die on Twitter a hero or you stay logged on long enough to post cringe

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Ok Comboomer posted:

god, now I’m picturing a podcast that’s just Travis and Liam Anderson from WTYP

guess that’s what awaits me in hell

is liam the one that leaves for a bathroom break every episode and they don't edit it out?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Entropic posted:

is liam the one that leaves for a bathroom break every episode and they don't edit it out?

Liam’s the one who gets audibly angry-drunk and shouts constantly and who simps in every episode for a smokeless tobacco company that has no idea who he is and probably wouldn’t like him or his politics if it did

Also he’s the one who strangles the jokes to death, eagerly and desperately

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
A WTYP/Sawbones crossover of Trump and Covid could be good.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Endorph posted:

no because it wouldnt be a joke? like the issue people have is the thing was framed as a joke, not that he said 'im not really into guys but styles is my type.'

I assumed it was framed as a joke because people have literally been speculating about it for close to a decade on now and would kick into high gear if he didn't. The best thing he could've done to avoid crazy internet people being crazy was say nothing, which now he will. Twitter is a real hole.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

SpacePig posted:

He posted it for progressive pats on the back while also throwing his hands up in the air and going "But I'm not bi! That's for sure! Don't misunderstand!" It's not necessarily bad, but it's really exhausting. And someone finally told him.

is he going to lose the nail polish though?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
someone put a compliation of travis's tweets together with audio of griffin or justin saying "trav..." over each one

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

PerilPastry posted:

is he going to lose the nail polish though?

what's this mean

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Farg posted:

what's this mean
it means they think him wearing nail polish is an affectation to appear more queer rather than just a thing he wants to do

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
oh that sucks

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Stroop There It Is posted:

it means they think him wearing nail polish is an affectation to appear more queer rather than just a thing he wants to do
Maybe I'm just a cynical rear end in a top hat but his apology did make something like that cross my mind, yeah.

"Though subconscious, I tweeted what I did earlier so folks would tell me how progressive and cool I was. I was playing in the space for attention. I also realize that this is a pattern."

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 17, 2021

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

I wonder if the sexpert thing is coming back after all

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I'm sorry, I'm sorry I'm trying to delete depression it.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Oh man, just remembered that I haven’t watched the live TAZ yet and there are only like 2 more days to watch it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So outside of this incident, I'm kind of surprised that I guess a lot of people don't like Travis in general? Or maybe just a lot of people here? I love the "annoying my brothers" energy he brings, especially when he'll tell just really awful jokes or puns. His "play along at home" game is absolutely hilarious to me every time he does it because of how much Griffin and Justin hate it