Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

I remember playing those really old flash or java top-down games where you're a blue dot going around a city full of civilian white dots and a few zombie green dots. Each time a green dot would touch a white dot, it would convert it to another green dot. The goal was to save as many people as possible before the whole map was overrun with zombies. Something like that, but from the other side, and obviously with modern graphics and mechanics, would be a lot of fun imo

Its not what you want but your description reminds me of Atom Zombie Smasher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I think Sea Salt is an interesting take on the idea as well. I dunno a lot of these games seem to lose steam after the initial "cool I have a death ball" part when they have to add difficulty to stay interesting and usually it ends up becoming irritating or too easy.

Anyway, guess it's time to try and play Brutal Legend again.

Orv posted:

Mech hero shooter Galahad 3093 (which will perpetually make me think of Cleopatra 2525) is doing another test period on Steam in a bit here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4hudbxnz7E

If hero shooter turns you off, that side of it is fairly light on the ground and the game is much stronger on the Hawken vibes which I know at least some of our regulars in here will perk up at. Also with the larger matches than any other hero shooter or Hawken and the bigger maps, it's got a tiny bit of Tribes going on? I always dread invoking Tribes cause it always ends up bad but it's in there.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1117350/GALAHAD_3093/ Request access on the Steam page gets you guaranteed test entry

I gotta at least try any game that evokes Hawken.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 17, 2021

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is "hero shooter" what we are calling like overwatch now?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Awesome! posted:

Shooters with distinct characters each with a unique ability(ies) yeah. I didn't make it take it up with Blizzard, I think? It unfortunately stuck.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Awesome! posted:

What would you call it?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

FutureCop posted:

Since it was mentioned recently in the thread: the Warhammer Inquisitor Martyr game is on sale at the moment, 75% off (and they have a bundle with all the dlc and such). I'm in a top-down ARPG mood so I was planning on picking this up since it was recommended and looks unique, but I wasn't sure since I haven't heard much else and it seemed a bit mixed for initial reviews. Any more impressions on this?

It's extremely ok

Play the psychic or the robot pet class, both have way more going on with skills/minion customization than the dumb thug or sniper

Great controller support if that's your jam, I'd chill out with it on couch and tv now and then

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What would you call it?

its a reasonable name i guess. i had just never heard it used before so i wanted to make sure i was on the same page

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Anonymous Robot posted:

What a weird game Monaco was. I always felt like I was playing it totally wrong, but I was never challenged in any meaningful way, either. Kinda just a game about walking up in places, stealing a thing, and walking out.

If you were playing it with fewer than 4 extremely stoned/drunk people screaming at each other, you were playing it wrong.

(See also: Overcooked, etc.)

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

What would you call it?

Roguelike

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The Dark Souls Of Team Based Online Shooters

Orv
May 4, 2011
Genres should be illegal

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Orv posted:

Genres should be illegal

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

What would you call it?
A chazzwazza

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Morter posted:

I was playing that the other day and it still holds up. And that soundtrack rules.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Atom Zombie Smasher is a lot of fun. There’s either terror or gleeful abandon in using huge time-delayed artillery pieces to counter a zombie threat best met with a surgical strike, and that’s exhilarating either way.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Picked up Strikey Sisters on the breakout game recommendation earlier. It is very good but I feel very hard, I'm struggling in the early levels and thinking of dropping down to Easy already.

There is also the possibility I am bad at breakout games...

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

help I can't get the music for the shopkeeper in everhood out of my head

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Ehhh this wasn't intended as a joke but it comes off as one and seems like poor taste.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 17, 2021

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Hwurmp posted:

Zombie Night Terror

lets see here *googles*

:aaaaa:

oh ya, wishlisted that immediately

Morter posted:

forgot about that game. That was one of the first games I had on Steam. Pretty good, ya

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Just so you're aware, in case it might not be entirely obvious just from looking at the store page: Zombie Night Terror is 100% a level-based puzzle game, pretty much like a zombie-flavoured version of Lemmings. It's a very good and fun game and I can completely recommend it, but it might not be quite what you were looking for.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I picked up Teardown again recently, and I'm starting to get the way it wants me to think

After the first few missions, grabbing one of your targets starts a 60 second timer to finish your heist and get away. The targets are spread hither and yon through the maps, so you gotta plan pretty closely and practice what's essentially a speedrun of your own creation

Ooooooor you move the alarm and target all at once wherever you want :v:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

victrix posted:

It's extremely ok

Play the psychic or the robot pet class, both have way more going on with skills/minion customization than the dumb thug or sniper

Great controller support if that's your jam, I'd chill out with it on couch and tv now and then

Re: Martyr, can you build an admech that's not a pet class? Conversely, do any other classes work as summoners?

E: Oh yeah, I remember hearing there was something fucky about its multiplayer back in the day. I assume it's fixed now? The only reason I'd get it is to play it co-op.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

Re: Martyr, can you build an admech that's not a pet class? Conversely, do any other classes work as summoners?

E: Oh yeah, I remember hearing there was something fucky about its multiplayer back in the day. I assume it's fixed now? The only reason I'd get it is to play it co-op.

You can build a tech priest that's not pet focused but that drops a lot of what makes tech priest better than crusader and assassin; actual builds through customizable skills.

One of crusader's armor skills gets a turret summon and you can sooort of build one of the assassin armor skills as a summon that does stuff but it requires stuff from way later in the game than you will likely put an amount of time into it.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

what game is this

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

what game is this

It better not be theHunter!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

drat thats a cool bird

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

woah....

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

What would you call it?

FPS; hobby-grade coop campaign; genre-blended, multi-mode competitive e-sports; meta-growth, choice + epic Game Heroes!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

FPS; hobby-grade coop campaign; genre-blended, multi-mode competitive e-sports; meta-growth, choice + epic Game Heroes!

I don't think the very specific blend of amusement, horror and complete ennui this gives me will ever go away. :allears:

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

what game is this

https://store.steampowered.com/tags/en/Photo%20Editing/

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ciaphas posted:

I picked up Teardown again recently, and I'm starting to get the way it wants me to think

After the first few missions, grabbing one of your targets starts a 60 second timer to finish your heist and get away. The targets are spread hither and yon through the maps, so you gotta plan pretty closely and practice what's essentially a speedrun of your own creation

is this a screenshot for people browsing from a Nokia 5110

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Nah, voxel-based game. It looks decent in motion.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Cool bird.

Strix pointed out Mainframe Defenders last week when it was on sale, and I got it and I'm enjoying it in short bursts. The item/weapon synergies are fun to play around with. I'm only at tier 2, but my team has some cool gear. Mechanic passively heals everything around it and can actively heal as an action. Synapse does bonus damage if it has moves left and an item that gives it an extra move action. Brigandine has an extra shot per burst, and every shot does armor damage (so -4 armor every burst). Viper does a bunch of Corrosion damage each hit - it's not quite enough to one-shot an enemy with corrosion stacks yet, but that's the goal.

It's also got some neat little visual filters (VHS, CRT monitor, and a couple others) and 2 font options. The core gameplay is pretty familiar and basic - you get a move action and 2 action points (both can be improved with gear/upgrades), and can take them in any order (like shooting with 1 ap, moving, then shooting again). Missions are chosen from a list of about 10 at a time, and seem pretty basic so far (destroy specific items, kill x enemies, survive for x rounds), and once you complete the main objective for a mission, you have to clean up any remaining enemies. You can see what rewards you'll get before choosing a mission. The rogue-lite part comes in if you abandon your run (or win, probably) - you get a bunch of extra Matter (upgrade material/currency) for your next team to use. There might be more to it, but like I said, I'm only on tier 2 (not even sure how many tiers there are).

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Hub Cat posted:

Weird, looks like THQ Nordic/Embracer dug up Stubbs the Zombie. It was okay back when it came out, wonder if it holds up at all kinda doubt it.
The important question here is did they retain the full soundtrack?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Croccers posted:

They better have, because it auto-replaced the old version.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Croccers posted:

https://twitter.com/AspyrMedia/status/1362192182443139075?s=20
Some people are saying in the Steam forums that they replaced the main menu music though.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

bamhand posted:

Loop Hero PSA: place rivers like this to get the full 16x bonus.

Not sure if this is common knowledge but most of the guides out there just have straight lines or slightly squiggly ones.

But rivers don't actually scale like that? eg 3 river sides do NOT cause an 8x multiplier. I've been very careful as I check that for thickets, repeatedly. River also plays weird with Mountain Top, might just be hardcoded flat values idk.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Ciaphas posted:

Teardown makes a terrible first impression: "Hey look, you can destroy things! Voxels!"

Once you get in a few levels, the game shows its hand and it gets a lot more interesting: It is actually a robbery game, only instead of slow and steady stealth, it is smash and grab speedrunning. You need to plan (or, as often the case, make) your own routes then run like hell in order to get everything and get out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

Just so you're aware, in case it might not be entirely obvious just from looking at the store page: Zombie Night Terror is 100% a level-based puzzle game, pretty much like a zombie-flavoured version of Lemmings. It's a very good and fun game and I can completely recommend it, but it might not be quite what you were looking for.

ya, the reviews made that seem clear. Was gonna wait for a sale but turns out it was in an old humble bundle and i already have it :dance: