Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The left loves to devour its own over petty bullshit, news at 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

is mcelroy the guy who hid in a bush to film his wife yelling at a mall employee?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLTlH7KB0Xk

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Motto posted:

is mcelroy the guy who hid in a bush to film his wife yelling at a mall employee?

Please stop using dishonest framing for that situation, he filmed his wife going into one of those stores that pushes that our new essential CBD oils will cure child's autism and many other maladies, step on up and see, to chew them out for being exploitative crooks. It was one of those like mall pop-up stores, reportedly owned and run by two people, it's not some poor guy trying to make ends meet at the counter, they were snake oil salesmen or better yet class traitors, who are disgusting from the start, but further considering the dire state of US healthcare and it's unavailability to so much of the population, things like that are knowingly preying on the poor and desperate who oftentimes tell themselves that they might as well believe this guy's magic tincture will fix their health, it's sick and I hope people who exploit those fears are shouted at for the rest of their lives.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 17, 2021

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Sydin posted:

The left loves to devour its own over petty bullshit, news at 11.

It's not even a left thing, we just recognize the petty outrage as petty outrage and dismiss it when it's about Gina Carano being fired from The Mandalorian, but when it's a more nuanced topic we kinda have to stop and treat it with some respect.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Yardbomb posted:

Please stop using dishonest framing for that situation, he filmed his wife going into one of those stores that pushes that our new essential CBD oils will cure child's autism and many other maladies, step on up and see, to chew them out for being exploitative crooks. It was one of those like mall pop-up stores, reportedly owned and run by two people, it's not some poor guy trying to make ends meet at the counter, they were snake oil salesmen or better yet class traitors, who are disgusting from the start, but further considering the dire state of US healthcare and it's unavailability to so much of the population, things like that are knowingly preying on the poor and desperate who oftentimes tell themselves that they might as well believe this guy's magic tincture will fix their health, it's sick and I hope people who exploit those fears are shouted at for the rest of their lives.

also it was a different one of the brothers whose wife is, like, an actual doctor

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
^Yeah, Sydney and Justin. Sawbones is pretty good, barring the uh, optics, of that incident.

I haven't been following them too closely for the last couple of years, but Travis used to have a problem where he'd take Twitter and social media far too seriously. Like, he would engage with obvious trolls and poo poo stirrers and just make himself miserable in the process, and he would get really stressed out about very minor missteps. I know shortly after he started his little offshoot podcast, he had a brief revelation about how bad of a habit it was. It was after he spent a lot of time talking over some podcast or Twitter faux pas with an offended fan. They said it was all good and he walked away happy, just to see them immediately turn and go back to calling him an rear end in a top hat and insisting that he wouldn't answer for whatever it was.

This seems like more of the same. Probably fine to take a step back if it's causing him grief. Especially since I think this is a sore spot for him. I vaguely remember some old story about how he had a theater friend in college who just kept bothering him to come out as gay, and he wouldn't take "I'm not" as an answer, for like a year until he blew up about it and caused a rift.

I don't know that I'd really call it a "left" thing. It seems more like the usual fanbase that's a little too online (and young). The McElroys have fostered a very wonderful, chill, cool fanbase. It's very accepting, which means that there's a little embedded core of some of the loudest and most obnoxious assholes who take advantage of it and maximize drama.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
for as much as people love to cry about 'outrage culture' boy is it annoying to see anyone going 'yea that was a dumb joke, my b' met with 'WOW OUTRAGE CULTURE LEFTISTS EATING THEIR OWN AGAIN HUH' constantly. Nobody has agency we're all just under thrall of ((those twitter outrage mobs)) canceling us, if you ever reread a joke you didn't really think about and go 'eh, this sucks' you've actually been a victim of OUTRAGE CULTURE. Basic human emotions are a lie it's all just the drat mob.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yardbomb posted:

What the gently caress are some of these people, "Man what a homophobe, now let me demand he choose his sexuality NOW" :psyduck:

https://twitter.com/_girltype/status/1371934144289198081

https://twitter.com/Girlnextvore/status/1371934200186683399

https://twitter.com/YerFriendMolly/status/1371966185722376194

That last one especially is some "Actually I'm telepathic and you're not allowed to say you feel bad any time I deem it so that YOU'RE JUST LOOKING FOR PITY YOU'RE NOT DEPRESSED" like wow eat a whole rear end and choke.

I feel like people are replying to this?

All this is weird

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm sure those three people were really why he did it yea, the guy famous for just kinda barreling on doing whatever he wants clearly bowed to the raw power and clout of three rando twitter people

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

As much of a brain teaser it is to me, if someone was actually bothered by the guy's joking then okay, that sucks and I hope his apology assuaged that discomfort some. The kind of people being actual crazies above, which are more than just those particular ones I picked out, are the center of the "What a bunch of assholes, jesus christ" talk.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Patrick H Willems - Why Baseball is the Best Movie Sport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elXLAcl363A

Yhara zayd - The Bizarre Brilliance of I'm a Cyborg, But That's Okay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w-KKnPcEj8

Jimpressions - Taishogun Rise Of Emperor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1meTV3FDW4E

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Yardbomb posted:

As much of a brain teaser it is to me, if someone was actually bothered by the guy's joking then okay, that sucks and I hope his apology assuaged that discomfort some. The kind of people being actual crazies above, which are more than just those particular ones I picked out, are the center of the "What a bunch of assholes, jesus christ" talk.

you know who apologizes for minor mistakes without making a big fuss out of it because it's no biggie?

thought slime

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Yardbomb posted:

What, this is somehow a big bad statement? :psyduck:

Like that doesn't even read as a "no homo" thing to me, can you not make a jokey remark about thinking about your own sexuality, this is weird as hell to imagine a backlash over to me.

Or like can straight guys not be platonically attracted to other guys and have a laugh at themselves?

But then looking at the replies there's some real weird ones, accusing him of "queerbaiting" himself like he's a TV show I guess? Or that him painting his nails or coloring his hair is gay appropriation, what.

yeah. its dumb but there isnt really anything truly offensive in there. most of the offensive "lol no homo bro" stuff is way way more explicit. seems to me like he tried to make a punchline but kinda bellyflopped. i dont find him that funny but it seems like he tried to be honest about being open about stuff and also tried to make a joke.

Yardbomb posted:

What the gently caress are some of these people, "Man what a homophobe, now let me demand he choose his sexuality NOW" :psyduck:

That last one especially is some "Actually I'm telepathic and you're not allowed to say you feel bad any time I deem it so that YOU'RE JUST LOOKING FOR PITY YOU'RE NOT DEPRESSED" like wow eat a whole rear end and choke.

why are they so mad? are they mad that he didnt stick a label on himself or some poo poo. like i am pretty sure you can find people of the same sex/gender aesthetically pleasing/interesting and not be "bi" or gay. like i have seen men i think look good or wish i had a similar body too but i have never had romantic or sexual feelings for a dude. if that makes him or me for that matter Bi then cool/whatever but i don't know why people want to hang this dude on a cross for not fitting in a box.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

Everyone on twitter is a huge doofus

Online Creators + Reviewers V: Everyone on twitter is a huge doofus

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Change it to dingus and you got a deal.

Dingus is a way better word

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Despite bad yet now dated prior uses, the disarming goofiness of the word via Beavis & Butthead and others has nonetheless always endeared me to Fartknocker

That and to my knowledge, it wasn't even a homophobic remark initially, it was an old west ha ha about getting dumped into the dust by a horse, then became one, then the teeth of it dissolved completely again over time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Garrand posted:

Voidburger and Chipcheezum later streamed it, also mad in a similar fashion
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPtOqZrJ-NB4_9sAsZAx1W56MgICdpHAK

chip, meditatively: "i think my least favorite part was when they used the holocaust to humanize a pedophile"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

chip, meditatively: "i think my least favorite part was when they used the holocaust to humanize a pedophile"

Oh this is what people meant when they said that The Medium is awful. Ho-lee poo poo.

I hope they go back to streaming Alone in the Dark. That was looking like an incredible B-movie game.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

RareAcumen posted:

Oh this is what people meant when they said that The Medium is awful. Ho-lee poo poo.

I hope they go back to streaming Alone in the Dark. That was looking like an incredible B-movie game.

I don't have your stone, and gently caress you anyway.

Oxxidation posted:

wait what, holy gently caress. if true, holy loving poo poo.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

wait what, holy gently caress. if true, holy loving poo poo.

yeah there's an extremely long sequence in the game where you delve into the psyche of a pedophile and you learn that his childhood girlfriend was killed by the nazis in the holocaust and thats why he's a pedophile

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I feel like a lot of this teen censoriousness comes from kids understanding some moral perspective in the abstract but lacking the social or cognitive development to know when it makes sense to apply it.

The test for this theory would be whether or not a teenager calls me ableist if I post it on twitter.

I think it's a combination of two things - what you said (kids wanting to do right but not having the nuance to know when they're not tilting at windmills) and also kids realizing the way to be noticed on social media is to come out swinging against someone popular and big.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

CelticPredator posted:

Change it to dingus and you got a deal.

Dingus is a way better word

Split the difference and make it Doofy Dingus (if that still fits).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oxxidation posted:

:yikes:

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. its dumb but there isnt really anything truly offensive in there. most of the offensive "lol no homo bro" stuff is way way more explicit. seems to me like he tried to make a punchline but kinda bellyflopped. i dont find him that funny but it seems like he tried to be honest about being open about stuff and also tried to make a joke.

why are they so mad? are they mad that he didnt stick a label on himself or some poo poo. like i am pretty sure you can find people of the same sex/gender aesthetically pleasing/interesting and not be "bi" or gay. like i have seen men i think look good or wish i had a similar body too but i have never had romantic or sexual feelings for a dude. if that makes him or me for that matter Bi then cool/whatever but i don't know why people want to hang this dude on a cross for not fitting in a box.

There's a vein of Too Online where you assume the worst out of everyone because of the things you've seen or heard other people do.

Travis is at the very worst just bad at reading rooms and misfires his jokes a lot. Dumb but harmless.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
people really need to learn to ignore the screeching tryhards frothing for a fight instead of offering these half-assed apologies

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Mr Phillby posted:

The CIA part isn't what I'm objecting to at all lol. Like Jimmy isn't a CIA agent in the comics they invented that as a reason to get him shot.

Also Superman and Batman both come off as belligerent assholes in the directors cut too? Also Superman doesn't actually have a strong motivation to do the fight with Batman beyond being blackmailed into it so I guess all that stuff was the first to go as it didn't really lead anywhere.

Superman picks a fight with Batman because he's an unhinged psychotic that goes around beating the absolute poo poo out of people and then brands them like cattle, and the police have no interest in stopping him at all.
Also no one really gives a poo poo about Jimmy Olsen

Yardbomb posted:

Jesus christ what is wrong with people

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

McCloud posted:

Superman picks a fight with Batman because he's an unhinged psychotic that goes around beating the absolute poo poo out of people and then brands them like cattle, and the police have no interest in stopping him at all.

wow, what a hero

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It's cause Batman is the villain in this one.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

oh for sure

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

people really need to learn to ignore the screeching tryhards frothing for a fight instead of offering these half-assed apologies

heck, in that particular instance I don't think there's any apology that woulda been good enough for them.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I just watched Man of Steel and I regret to inform you all I am now a Snyder stan.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Jamie Faith posted:

I just watched Man of Steel and I regret to inform you all I am now a Snyder stan.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i enjoyed the character of 9/11 mass shooter batman

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Farm Frenzy posted:

i enjoyed the character of 9/11 mass shooter batman
The weirdest thing was DC deciding that was what their cinematic universe Batman was going to be.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

McCloud posted:

Also no one really gives a poo poo about Jimmy Olsen

Jesus christ what is wrong with people

The McElroys generally are pretty good folk, anytime they have a small misstep they usually try to fix it pretty quickly. There aren't any real scandals that have come out about them. So naturally there's a segment of the internet that is basically drooling at the thought of something horrible coming out about them. I don't want to sound like I'm giving any credence to "cancel culture" but the people above want this to be a much worse deal than it is

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Macaluso posted:

The McElroys generally are pretty good folk, anytime they have a small misstep they usually try to fix it pretty quickly. There aren't any real scandals that have come out about them. So naturally there's a segment of the internet that is basically drooling at the thought of something horrible coming out about them. I don't want to sound like I'm giving any credence to "cancel culture" but the people above want this to be a much worse deal than it is

It seems like a bunch of assholes looking to take offense at something, the kind of person who's perpetually angry over imagined slights. I think we all know the type of person, and they are insufferable

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

It's pretty simple, resentment over what's seen as...I guess you could call it queer stolen valor. queer people exhausted by non-queer (as far as they currently identify, at least) creators who are praised for daring to meet the low bar of inclusivity and held up as queer icons. there are queer people annoyed by the mcelroys being held up as a beacon of their community in the same way there are queer people annoyed by carly rae jepsen being held up as a beacon of their community.

I don't think it's fair to direct this resentment at them directly but it doesn't come from nowhere. It's a symptom of the tension between queer people and those who loudly and vocally identify as their allies.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Sydney mcelroy was right to yell at a snake oil salesman if anything she should've put them through a table

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Farg posted:

Sydney mcelroy was right to yell at a snake oil salesman if anything she should've put them through a table

:emptyquote: