Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

It is funny that unlike a western RPG where the rear end in a top hat response will get you “bad” points and a bad character/ending in the Persona games it doesn’t seem to matter and the characters you interact with just let it roll off their shoulders.

You should play Persona 3 sometime. In P3, your responses in social link scenes can actually cause a social link to go into "reverse" status where you and the character basically have a falling out. You can't progress a reversed social link until you spend some time patching things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Yea my post wasn't very clear, I should say that was one of the few "dickish" lines of dialogue that I actually used because it was hilarious, but not too dickish. I'll re-word my post.

Okay yeah that seems fair, and as I said there's some absolutely incredibly dickish lines. Although I like that being a rivalry focused dick to Akechi is actually rewarded a lot in his social link in Royal.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Harrow posted:

You should play Persona 3 sometime. In P3, your responses in social link scenes can actually cause a social link to go into "reverse" status where you and the character basically have a falling out. You can't progress a reversed social link until you spend some time patching things up.

Persona 3 would be a day 1 purchase for me if/when it ever get's a Steam/Playstation/Switch re-release.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Okay yeah that seems fair, and as I said there's some absolutely incredibly dickish lines. Although I like that being a rivalry focused dick to Akechi is actually rewarded a lot in his social link in Royal.

Yea the rivalry with Akechi is great particularly if you are foresight about certain things.

That said some of the things Joker could say to Ryuji made me wonder why he would want to be friends with him.

Oh I just remembered one more line of funny, but not too dickish line of dialogue that I actually regret not using because I was trying to romance Makoto and wasn't sure if it would affect it.

Makoto: I am going to be your class chaperone for the Hawaii trip

Joker: My vacation's ruined..

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Harrow posted:

There's actually one link in Persona 4 that still does this (Ai) and I remember a lot of people disliking her for it lol

The trap options were so obvious too. "Yes let me agree to be this chick's rebound, this will end well"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

There's actually one link in Persona 4 that still does this (Ai) and I remember a lot of people disliking her for it lol

The trap options were so obvious too. "Yes let me agree to be this chick's rebound, this will end well"

Ah yeah, I actually didn't remember if that went fully reversed or not.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Ai is able to reverse at 2 different points, and break near the end.
Naoto is also able to reverse at one point.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuuuE8i10bs

The persona 1/2 writer has a new project, CG anime set to air this summer with a tie-in mobile game.

Ugh it looks like an anime with a mobile game, and the writing will probably be as good as the gameplay is muddled going off his last game. I don't know what falling out he had at atlus but I wish it had never happened.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Should I take that to mean the writing in Caligula Effect is good? I've been somewhat curious about it ever since I heard about this game from the former Persona writer with a weird battle system.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I've only beaten the first of the bad lads but the writing seems pretty good, but the pacing is absolutely insane, like imagine if the whole investigation team all showed up from day one and day two was you raiding the castle.

The way the game works is also pretty goofy, there's like 200 students, each which has some sort of problem for you to help 'em with, but you need to be friends first, except all you need to rank up to friends is talk to them three times. So you end up talking to each NPC three times right away, realizing they're scared of commitment or some poo poo, than trying to remember that while also dealing with the other 199 peeps.

Battle system is fun on minibosses and strong enemies but is boring in random encounters, I'd say pick it up on sale. It's interesting at least

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harrow posted:

No, that boss was totally redone.

I didn't check myself but I assumed when going through the fight that I needed to pick the right answers so Futaba could stand up to the cognition and protect the group from the big damage attacks. If she protects you either way then :shrug:

She doesn't, but Joker had a reflect physical persona.

"wow futaba did you actually kill your mom???"

I wiped on the fight once because the Ballista only comes down once so I was stuck just sitting spamming Agidyne and ran out of SP, so I cheated since the twins let you fuse any persona for 100k way earlier in p5r.

Simply Simon posted:

You can be a relentless dick to many people with some of the answers in P4/5, I think that's either supposed to be funny or give you more options to roleplay as something different than a blank slate goody-two-shoes hero at least in those limited ways.

Of course, I always busted Yosuke's and Teddie's balls whenever possible

You can only sometimes be a dick, which sucks because I hate morgana.

Commander Keene posted:

And the P3 protagonist can be the most dickish of all of them, though I don't really have context for Futaba's Palace boss because I haven't played Royal yet. Telling your buddy to buy running shoes as a present for his cousin who can't walk? You can do that! Telling a 7-year-old that she's probably responsible for her parents getting divorced? You can do that! You can be incredibly cruel to most of your Social Link buddies, whereas most of Yu's "third option" dialogue choices are just kinda goofy and off-the-wall, and Joker's are kinda snarky but harmless.

Also the optimal path through most of the Social Links in that game involve enabling questionably wise behavior, whereas the more modern protagonists feel like they're helping a little more, even if the actual developments are mostly driven by the character who isn't silent.

The P5R fight is straight up "Wow, I can't believe you killed your mom." "I can't believe that giant monster is really what your actual mom thinks of you." "I guess you're just going to be stuck here until you die Futaba, you disgusting unwashed failchild who everyone would be happier without"

It really feels more like a P3 conversation than a P5 one. :v:

Hunt11 posted:

It is funny playing P5R again and interacting with Akechi. All I can think is how I wish he would drop the goody two shoe act quicker as he is so much more fun to interact with when he is being true to himself.

I want a P5R:R where I just get to hang out with Kasumi and Akechi the whole game.

Harrow posted:

Should I take that to mean the writing in Caligula Effect is good? I've been somewhat curious about it ever since I heard about this game from the former Persona writer with a weird battle system.

I haven't gotten to Caligula Effect yet, but FWIW I hear Overdose is much better.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 16, 2021

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I like the Caligula Effect but it's a muddled mess. but yeah, part of that mess is because it's ambitious in a way modern Persona tries very hard not to be and it deserves credit.

I think increased production value would have been a band aid to a lot of it's problems but I mean that in a good way

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I didn't really get why everyone hates Teddie but I guess I stopped reading the LP I was following halfway through because I'm getting into the parts with Naoto and now I see why. Why couldn't they have just left him as a cute bear? Why did they have to make him horny?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Okay, I'm here to ask the real, hard-hitting questions now.

What kind of game is Gun About, the arcade game Shinya plays in Persona 5? I don't understand it. It's clearly some kind of light gun shooter game, but it's also competitive, and appears to have some sort of online component with some sort of persistent progression (like you have a character and can have different armor and stuff), and there appear to be streamers who play it?

Is this something that exists in arcade form in Japan, or does Gun About just kinda make no sense like Takemi's clinical trials and that's fine?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Harrow posted:

Okay, I'm here to ask the real, hard-hitting questions now.

What kind of game is Gun About, the arcade game Shinya plays in Persona 5? I don't understand it. It's clearly some kind of light gun shooter game, but it's also competitive, and appears to have some sort of online component with some sort of persistent progression (like you have a character and can have different armor and stuff), and there appear to be streamers who play it?

Is this something that exists in arcade form in Japan, or does Gun About just kinda make no sense like Takemi's clinical trials and that's fine?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ8HgetkrMQ

It's a gunslinger stratos riff. Third person multiplayer competitive lightgun game. It's not exactly the same (for starters Gun About seems like it might be first person?) but the general vibe is the same.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

HaB posted:

So.....LOOOOOOOVED P4A.

Yeah, just watched it based on the recommendation and loved it too. Agree about Aika, and Yu's character too. Yosuke and Teddie were about as.......bearable.......as they were in the game for me. Still some icky personality traits, but I still liked them. The peak for me was the summer duology. Getting to watch Yu do all the simplified secondary s-links and it all tying together with Nanako's story was great. The fishing scene set to I'll Face Myself was just perfect.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I got the sense that Gun About is basically Monster Hunter stuck in first person view and using a gun.

(I have never actually played a Monster Hunter for more than an hour or so)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ8HgetkrMQ

It's a gunslinger stratos riff. Third person multiplayer competitive lightgun game. It's not exactly the same (for starters Gun About seems like it might be first person?) but the general vibe is the same.

This is exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for, cool! I'd heard of Gunslinger Stratos but I never looked it up to see what it it was.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Harrow posted:

caligula effect is the sort of game I've seen a number people quite like in spite of its jank, but also universally recommend playing on easy mode

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
I never play Joker as a dick... except when it’s time to button mash... that is the exception to the rule

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
just finished p4g. It was my first persona / smt experience and I tried to just play through it without looking up everything. I generally liked it a lot. The battle mechanics are really good and the social / school stuff keeps you on a good dopamine drip to just keep playing.

teddy is a mess. He's what happens when two unfortunate jrpg tropes collide: the allegedly "cute" nonhuman party member and the creepy hypersexual boy

Because I'm an idiot I didn't get that you have to manually initiate kanji's s-link until it was too late to max him out. he's a cool dude and seemed to be growing as a person so that kinda sucked. I was apparently not brave enough to even start naoto's. Turns out that I should have been eating more tofu or working at the hospital

I joined the drama club. new players, please - don't join the drama club. I don't know if the alternatives are any better but the drama s-link is really bad.

although I got the achievement, I was not a hardcore risette fan

the hollow forest is bad. they not only found a way to mechanically disincentivize both exploration and fighting, but to incentivize dragging fights out.

the hotspring and lightning cutscene was uncomfortable and raised some odd questions. is marie magic in the normal world? Can she just zap people?

How the game handled homosexuality was obviously not great. That's probably mostly due to the maturity level of the characters plus the time plus some cultural differences, but its still not a great look going forward.

Gonna give it some time, then probably tackle P5

Best Bi Geek Squid fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 17, 2021

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The Music club is the alternative to the drama club. It's.... better? I guess? Well relative to Yumi I feel like most links are better.

The other 'alternates' are between Soccer and Basketball for Strength. I prefer Soccer personally but your mileage may vary.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

To answer the hot spring and lightning question. Yes Marie is magic in the real world, she’s effectively a goddess in control of the TV World as the last remnant of Izanami and so she can use that to control the weather and maintain the TV World as a peaceful escape.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

How the game handled homosexuality was obviously not great. That's probably mostly due to the maturity level of the characters plus the time plus some cultural differences, but its still not a great look going forward.
don't worry, p5's worse

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Endorph posted:

don't worry, p5's worse

I feel like P4's worse. P5's not great but it's basically two scenes involving minor characters (and then a terrible stereotype as NPCs). P4 is a long running, tired joke.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

And P5R in theory fixed that scene, depending on how you feel about the new version of said scene.

Also everything with Akechi’s improved social link in Royal really deserves mention. Even if they don’t let you kiss him that social link oozes tension.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

don't worry, p5's worse

In what world?

P5's got one bad scene (I don't know if P5R's changes were localization or in the original so idk if I should give that credit), P4 has one major character who brings it up somewhat regularly.

P5 even has the bar owner who was sympathetically portrayed enough compared to the two gay guys in Shinjuku I wonder if it was a mistake. Not great, but definitely not as bad as P4.

Lord_Magmar posted:

And P5R in theory fixed that scene, depending on how you feel about the new version of said scene.

Also everything with Akechi’s improved social link in Royal really deserves mention. Even if they don’t let you kiss him that social link oozes tension.

P5R definitely should've had a gay link with Yusuke, if nobody else.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also everything with Akechi’s improved social link in Royal really deserves mention.
It's incredibly good compared to vanilla, him plus Kasumi is some solid A+ work from Atlus

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On that note, I gather you need to do some specific choices to get Akechi's ultimate persona. Do you need to do that for the others too or just him?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Acerbatus posted:

On that note, I gather you need to do some specific choices to get Akechi's ultimate persona. Do you need to do that for the others too or just him?

Getting Akechi's basically involves picking a specific choice towards the end of his link. Remember that Akechi basically sees Joker as a rival, and one that doesn't want to just roll over. From there, just make it to third semester (so maxing out Maruki and Yoshizawa) and it'll happen automatically on the last day.

The rest are pretty straightforward. Max their link to get their second Persona, talk to them in the new semester when they prompt you to get their ultimate.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

P5's got one bad scene (I don't know if P5R's changes were localization or in the original so idk if I should give that credit)

Does it matter? P5R in the English Language version removes the scene. And adds an incredible amount of sexual tension with one of the confidants.

quote:

P5 even has the bar owner who was sympathetically portrayed enough compared to the two gay guys in Shinjuku I wonder if it was a mistake. Not great, but definitely not as bad as P4.

And said bar owner even got some voiced lines in P5R. I just don't understand P5 being considered worse than P4 this way. And P5R is significantly better.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

neonchameleon posted:

Does it matter? P5R in the English Language version removes the scene. And adds an incredible amount of sexual tension with one of the confidants.

These are both in the original Japanese version of Persona 5 Royal too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Getting Akechi's basically involves picking a specific choice towards the end of his link. Remember that Akechi basically sees Joker as a rival, and one that doesn't want to just roll over. From there, just make it to third semester (so maxing out Maruki and Yoshizawa) and it'll happen automatically on the last day.

The rest are pretty straightforward. Max their link to get their second Persona, talk to them in the new semester when they prompt you to get their ultimate.

Slight correction about the third semester: you only need to max out the Councillor confidant, not Faith. You can't progress Faith if you don't reach the temporary maximum before the third semester, but it doesn't lock you out of the third semester, either. It's also effortless to hit rank five so there's no reason not to.

neonchameleon posted:

Does it matter? P5R in the English Language version removes the scene.

The scenes aren't removed in the English version of Royal, just rewritten in an attempt to be less bad. They could've been removed and nobody would miss them, but they weren't. To be clear I'm not blaming the localization team for this one bit--I'm guessing Atlus Japan wouldn't have given the okay to remove those scenes, and that's assuming it would even be possible to do with the time and tools available to the localization team.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 17, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ApplesandOranges posted:

The Music club is the alternative to the drama club. It's.... better? I guess? Well relative to Yumi I feel like most links are better.

The other 'alternates' are between Soccer and Basketball for Strength. I prefer Soccer personally but your mileage may vary.
Soccer vs. Basketball is a good choice and both have their good qualities.

Drama vs Music is which of two really awkward links you want to power through. Bonus points to Drama for also having the most brutal possible way and time to choose romantic or platonic! Turning down Yukiko is hard, but you still have plenty of time with her to be friends. With Yumi, you walk out of the room and leave her alone and never come back because you just maxed the link.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 17, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm also sorta wary of trying to make the argument like... "Persona 5's homophobia isn't that bad, it's just two scenes!" And like, yeah, it's just two scenes. Once you're past the summer beach trip it's never gonna come up again, and that's about a third of the way through the game, even less for Royal. But it's still there, and it's not up to me to tell someone what they should and shouldn't overlook, y'know? It bugs me that it's there but it doesn't prevent me from loving the game, but that's just me and it's not my place to tell anyone else what they should think of those scenes or the game that includes them.

I don't want anyone to think these games are, like, wall-to-wall bigotry (both because I don't think that's true and because I can't imagine what people who have that impression would think of Persona fans), but at the same time, I don't want to sweep it under the rug and tell people "It's not a big deal, get over it."

PMush Perfect posted:

With Yumi, you walk out of the room and leave her alone and never come back because you just maxed the link.

Oh god I forgot about that :negative:

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 17, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

IIRC, even if you do try to go back to Drama Club later, you actually can't. (That, or she just isn't there.)

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Lord_Magmar posted:

To answer the hot spring and lightning question. Yes Marie is magic in the real world, she’s effectively a goddess in control of the TV World as the last remnant of Izanami and so she can use that to control the weather and maintain the TV World as a peaceful escape.

:tipshat:

PMush Perfect posted:

Soccer vs. Basketball is a good choice and both have their good qualities.

Drama vs Music is which of two really awkward links you want to power through. Bonus points to Drama for also having the most brutal possible way and time to choose romantic or platonic! Turning down Yukiko is hard, but you still have plenty of time with her to be friends. With Yumi, you walk out of the room and leave her alone and never come back because you just maxed the link.

it was the perfect hideously awkward capstone to the whole experience. Ice loving cold.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Acerbatus posted:

P5R definitely should've had a gay link with Yusuke, if nobody else.

Agreed 100%.

*EDIT*

Also in Persona 4 Kanji was definitely supposed to be gay right? Because his confession at the bathhouse where he basically says I'm not really gay I'm just afraid of girls and prefer to be around men feels like a cop-out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Also in Persona 4 Kanji was definitely supposed to be gay right? Because his confession at the bathhouse where he basically says I'm not really gay I'm just afraid of girls and prefer to be around men feels like a cop-out.

I think soon after that scene there's some dialogue where it seems like Kanji's feelings on his sexuality are pretty complicated--I don't remember exactly how it goes but he sorta stumbles trying to talk about it and never actually says one way or the other. My read is that Kanji is still figuring out his own sexuality and dealing with a ton of homophobia (both internalized and from the society he lives in/that rear end in a top hat Yosuke who keeps needling him), and I think a lot of people read him as probably bi even if he never openly acknowledges that about himself during the game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

"Kanji is bisexual and doesn't know that's even a thing that exists" solves so many problems with the debates about his sexuality, especially RE: Naoto's gender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Kanji's sexuality is irrelevant to his arc, and explicitly spelling out his sexuality would ruin the message of his arc. The entire point of his arc is that he can be into "girly" things without that defining his entire identity.