Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/alisonwillmore/status/1371575822746800134

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

mediaphage posted:

haha. tbh i haven’t read a whole lot of them, maybe i should

his superpower was that everything he did, no matter how outrageous, was treated as eminently predictable and boring.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

didn’t know your postman was a superhero

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

his superpower was that everything he did, no matter how outrageous, was treated as eminently predictable and boring.
the brotherhood of dada were just the best

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

rotor posted:

this guy

the entire legion of dada is so good

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

FMguru posted:

the brotherhood of dada were just the best

argeed

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

https://mobile.twitter.com/jillboard/status/1074745253641351168

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol gross

get a doctor to cut that thing off of your face already

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

I enjoyed the Tick a lot, I just wish Patrick Warburton had signed on to do it. He is PERFECT for the role.
as much as I liked Warburton on his Tick series, Serafinowicz was even better IMO. they've yet to find a good Arthur after Mickey Dolenz

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Chris Knight posted:

as much as I liked Warburton on his Tick series, Serafinowicz was even better IMO. they've yet to find a good Arthur after Mickey Dolenz

Serafinowicz definitely got the better scripts but Warburton is just :chefkissyfingers: as the tick, perfectly lines up with my conception of the character from the comics

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

btw if you haven't read the first ... idk, 15 or 20 Tick comics, you totally should. I remember just absolutely laughing my rear end off.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I thought arthur and tick in amazon tick were good. good show overall, i miss it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

same, same

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

mediaphage posted:

i think my favourite scene is where garak gives bashir a cardassian enigma tale holonovel, and bashir admits he doesn't like cardassian mysteries because everyone is always guilty. and garak responds with yes of course, you see the point of the holonovel is to figure out exactly who is guilty of exactly what. cracked me up.

I wish there was so much more of this in Star Trek, it's such a great way to simultaneously worldbuild and develop character. I also like Garak's take on The Boy Who Cried Wolf.

indigi posted:

yeah but it can be fun. for instance, JLA 1,000,000

This is probably my favorite comic book ever.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

rotor posted:

btw if you haven't read the first ... idk, 15 or 20 Tick comics, you totally should. I remember just absolutely laughing my rear end off.

the flaming carrot is basically freakazoid but for comic books instead of the early internet

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
ut!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol gross

Cut off your butt

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol gross

the waiting list for face removal is really long okay :mad:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

oh yeah. i used to get em straight from New England comics.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol gross

k

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

literally the only comic i have ever read is transmetropolitan

not counting webcomics

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't think I've ever actually read a superhero comic. I don't have any theoretical objection but the way they're published seems obnoxious for casual readers.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Doom Mathematic posted:

I also like Garak's take on The Boy Who Cried Wolf.

(Trek title card font)
"The Boy Who Cried Worf."

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

quote="hbag" post="513278273"]transmetropolitan
[/quote]

ugh

mystes posted:

I don't think I've ever actually read a superhero comic. I don't have any theoretical objection but the way they're published seems obnoxious for casual readers.

check out All Star Superman or, if you want something that pushed the envelope of the medium, Animal Man (only read 1-26)

e: gently caress it, while we're here, it's not strictly superhero but Vimanarama is one of my favorite stories of all time in any medium

New Frontier is a great look at the 1940s DC Universe with fantastic art

indigi fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 17, 2021

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

mystes posted:

read Astro City, it's a complete work available in collected volumes

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Kurt busiek is kinda meh imo but his JLA and Conan stuff is fun

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Good Comix List

Transmetropolitan
Top10 issues 1 - 12 (Alan Moore writing superheroes but not like a superman / batman punchbook)
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol1&2
Dredd 'America' (but any early Dredd is worth reading)
Marshal Law - Fear & Loathing compilation (I love ML but the books definitely get less good the newer they are)

also

Concrete (indie comix lol but this was really good)
Sam & Max complete collection
Milk & Cheese omnibus
Nemesis the Warlock book 1 - (mainly for some of Kev O'Neills best artwork )

I have the Transmet 'Absolute' heavy-duty hardcover / slipcase Vols 1 and 2 here that were meant to be a gift of the whole collection for a friend but apparently Vol3 was only printed as a short run due to licensing and so its rare / expensive; I didn't mind laying out around £80-100 for 1 and 2 apiece but an 'as new' Vol3 2nd hand on eBay went for over 300 quid recently and ahah nope :mad:

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 17, 2021

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
if you ever feel that you would like to read superman, you should skip it and just read alan moore’s run on supreme instead

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i liked ex machina by brian vaughn, the protagonist is a civil engineer who becomes the first superhero and then nyc mayor

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i never got into transmetropolitan. monstress also made a bunch of 'best of the decade' lists and i thought it was super boring

i was a big fan of ellis' volume 1 of the authority. don't read any subsequent issues; they're all garbage

other comics i've read that i enjoyed include

kingdom come - you can get this as a self-contained graphic novel now; it's my favourite superman arc, bar none, i think

more recently:

immortal hulk - i was never a fan of the hulk or hulk comics but this run is great and a bit more psychological

gideon falls - more of a horror bent about a mysterious location/presence known as the black barn

the chilling adventures of sabrina - i think the tv show was a good take on this even if the ending on tv was at best weird. i haven't read any of the other archie horror like afterlife with archie, vampire veronica or zombie jughead

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

echinopsis posted:

incest is kinda hot if its like other people and not you or anyone you know

then its weird

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

/pinball table noises as the mod actions rack up

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

I enjoyed the Tick a lot, I just wish Patrick Warburton had signed on to do it. He is PERFECT for the role.

anyway when i said "superhero poo poo is dumb as hell" i meant when people take THEIR POWERS seriously. Like it's a fuckin metaphor, who cares about the details of their imaginary powers and whose would beat whose

Do you agree with my MCU power ranking?

Battle
Current ranking , not including their prime. No hype characters with 0 feats(living tribunal or celestials), and no dead characters. Lastly Only key or key side characters, because most wizerds and aliens would fill up the list.

Ranking

Dormamu
Sutter
Wanda/scarlet witch
Captain marvel
Current Dr Strange
Kaecilius
Agatha
Fat Thor
Abomination (incredible Hulk is canon to MCU)
Ant Man
Professor Hulk
valkary
White Vision and Wanda's fake vision
Iron Spider-Man
Black panther
Pepper Potts
War machine
Star lord
Falcon
Wasp
Vulture
Karl modor
Drax
Groot
Current Photon
Winter soldier
Billy
Tommy
Hawkeye

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

wait i can do better

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

NoneMoreNegative posted:

/pinball table noises as the mod actions rack up

should post a bunch of new threads and close them all in a month

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

same

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
strenght

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

fart simpson posted:

wait i can do better

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

imagine how long it took that guy to write that post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

every time people start recommending best super hero comics to new readers, most of whatever’s recommended requires knowledge of convention and lore of the genre to appreciate most of what makes them great