Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I think Maki is actually pretty drat solid in the ring. She has a unique move set and a clearly defined character. She’s a stubborn brat. When things start moving really fast she seems to get a little lost but she’s good at slowing it back down and getting the focus back on her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Smoking Crow posted:

maki's wrestling is fine, if she's over and draws who cares about match quality

people who watch wrestling to watch good matches generally. but wrestling is subjective

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Not doing moves well can be mitigated by looking cool, and Maki is very cool.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

i like some other wrestlers more than maki itoh

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Dave just said he's on this TiJ this week with Tony Schiavone talking Jim Crockett Promotions so that should be a must listen. I assume it's the Wednesday show as that is usually the wrestling show.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Procrastinator posted:

i like some other wrestlers more than maki itoh

You loving monster

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
The real galaxy brain but correct Maki Itoh take is that her social media stuff (which AEW leaned hard into) is awful but as a wrestler she's good and getting better - that Miyu match from 1/4 was very good.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

JOHN CENA posted:

people who watch wrestling to watch good matches generally. but wrestling is subjective

Then why is anyone at all watching RAW for the last half a decade

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

Then why is anyone at all watching RAW for the last half a decade

They’re sports entertainment fans

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

IceAgeComing posted:

The real galaxy brain but correct Maki Itoh take is that her social media stuff (which AEW leaned hard into) is awful

https://twitter.com/maki_itoh/status/1371314892515336195?s=20

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008
I thought Maki not being a super-good wrestler was part of the character? Like, she's a conceited brat whose ego writes checks that her grappling can't cash.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Maki ito’s social media stuff is like half the reason she got over.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

list of things lance storm thinks are bad (incomplete)
-public libraries
-curing leukemia
-maki itoh

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
My Maki Itoh take is that I'm glad she's gone for a while for no reasons to actually do with her but just because it hopefully means Maki Itoh discourse will stop for a while.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i so rather would endure makiposting over the usual cycles of conversation threads here seem to go through

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

it's functionally the same conversation as the one about Miro's clothes that went for like eight straight days

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
MIROS shirt looks like a DISHRAG

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

IceAgeComing posted:

The real galaxy brain but correct Maki Itoh take is that her social media stuff (which AEW leaned hard into) is awful but as a wrestler she's good and getting better - that Miyu match from 1/4 was very good.

This is where I am, Maki Itoh minus her social media is cool and good and trending towards cool and great and they sky is the limit from there. Once I have read all 200 or something posts in the AEW thread I am looking forward to easing my lovely headache by smugly saying "just loving watch TJPW for more Maki itoh I swear to god"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60Z7Pn97owc
Jesus christ

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
why is bryan wearing a bath rug

Halverine
May 26, 2004

Endsay ookhay

Incessant Excess posted:

why is bryan wearing a bath rug

If this is a shoot question it's because a few months ago he was cold right before a show and grabbed one of his wife's vests to wear. Mike and The Twitch Homies gave him so much poo poo about it that when his wife bought him his own vest of the same type, he incorporated it into his gimmick.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Onlyfans is indeed the young person's wrestling.

But seriously, I don't watch TV, nobody I know watches TV. I guess that doesn't mean a whole lot but...why does anyone still watch TV? Is there actually any future in Cable?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

every thing Bryan says in this video is accurate though. lukewarm takes if anything.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Is there actually any future in Cable?

Absolutely not. Tv is done for.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

But seriously, I don't watch TV, nobody I know watches TV. I guess that doesn't mean a whole lot but...why does anyone still watch TV? Is there actually any future in Cable?

Because I like watching AEW and live sports without having to deal with streams. Also I like to go big on the go big show.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Go read some some Thurston articles.

quote:

So while cable TV is perceived to be a dying medium, it’s actually making wrestling more profitable than ever.

Even if you live in an economy where the digital CPMs (ad rates) are high, an hour of watching WWE content on YouTube is probably worth about 5% of what it is when you watch on traditional TV.
AEW's % is probably higher but only because they make far less on their TV contract.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NikkolasKing posted:

I mean, long-term? Dunno. Short to medium? Yeah, TV is safe. Boomers are at retirement age or approaching it, generally have disposable income & a shitload of freetime to rot their minds on repeats of Blue Bloods & NCIS & Tucker Carlson's nightly hate.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Cable as a thing is so hosed up that even when it's cheaper zoomers and young millennials mostly stream. But it should be safe for a little while more at least.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mal-3 posted:

I thought Maki not being a super-good wrestler was part of the character? Like, she's a conceited brat whose ego writes checks that her grappling can't cash.

I too enjoy the miz and "being bad at wrestling" is a surefire way to end up loving you over

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Mal-3 posted:

It's more that she's improving. I believe that Maki the person knows she's not the best wrestler and wants to be better. Maki the character knows she's not the best and is incredibly bratty about it, claiming otherwise, being a jerk to make up for insecurities, etc.

That's my read at least.

PaybackJack posted:

B is the key to why Lance's argument falls apart. Yes, both Jillian and Maki have "sings bad" as their gimmick but Maki having a backstory of being kicked out of a J-pop group has a wider appeal than that white girl that gets drunk and screams a song at karaoke night.

That's why I mentioned the presentation - singers sound worse if they're trying to sing over the studio recording of them singing. It's setting Maki up to sound bad (alongside audio engineering meant for talking not singing).

The_Rob posted:

Maki ito’s social media stuff is like half the reason she got over.

They should integrate the poo poo posting on screen if she was there longer term.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

People like Maki Itoh because she is an interesting character. Because people like her, they become invested in her matches even if you she isn't the best wrestler in the world.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Do I just have a tin ear or something because while I didn't think Maki Itoh's singing was amazing I definitely didn't think it was nails-on-a-chalkboard screechy, intentionally bad like Jillian Hall.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Seams posted:

Do I just have a tin ear or something because while I didn't think Maki Itoh's singing was amazing I definitely didn't think it was nails-on-a-chalkboard screechy, intentionally bad like Jillian Hall.

no, you are correct. her singing is fine.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Broadcast TV is still safe and probably not going anywhere as it's one of the few areas of free entertainment (beyond owning a TV). Even Youtube needs an internet subscription to use

Cable TV? Probably dying but getting at least a short term lease on life right now oddly due to explosion of streaming services and the costs looking worse than cable in some places or in some markets. And if Streaming Services end up imploading or falling into the worst traps of Cable TV it might even thrive again

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Yeah a while ago I would've said ah TV is on its way out, but with everyone attempting their own streaming services and the costs that come with it regular TV isn't looking so bad.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Granny's wrestling report was absolutely loving incredible this week.

Halverine
May 26, 2004

Endsay ookhay

Jerusalem posted:

Granny's wrestling report was absolutely loving incredible this week.

This. I couldn’t stop laughing when, after calling him Randy Travis, she said “Macho came in like a savage, causes pain to Sage (DDP)”.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The mystery of Vinny's email to Granny was also wonderful :allears:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

cable tv is free where i live and i honestly use it far more than anything else. the only streaming services i ever use with any regularity are hulu (got the $1 a month bundle) and youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
what if there was some kind of service that bundled all these streaming services into one package that you could pay for