Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Oscar Wild posted:

we need to be reasonable about the roles schools play as subsidized day care.

we should, in fact, really not be reasonable about that. that is not what schools are for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The Oldest Man posted:

I'm curious how many actual people (students and teachers) this is.

It’s going to be at-least the five (I think there are five) elementary schools. My sons teacher has eight in morning and eight in the afternoon. They’re full vaccine availability to all staff now too. I think 3-5 is phasing in voluntary this month.

silicone thrills posted:

A friend of mines kid I guess was forced back into school in marysville, wa a few weeks ago I guess and he was saying he got a warning of exposure literally 1 day into it.

See this the problem. Why is every, and I mean every, single other district being stupid. No other district I’ve heard about has done this reasonably. I don’t understand why there was no ground between forcing Open’er up and nothing.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Middle grounds involve an extremely small teacher to student ratio and an extremely small teacher to student ration costs money, money that a lot of school districts don't have.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It’s going to be at-least the five (I think there are five) elementary schools. My sons teacher has eight in morning and eight in the afternoon.

From an epidemiological perspective that's a directly exposed population of only a couple thousand actual people in consistent groups that are only slightly larger than the general gathering recommendation size, so it's not really surprising that you guys have done OK. The maximum blast radius is the same size as like, one Texas mega-church, and it's compartmented. If that could actually be replicated, that would probably be fine buuuuut

reignonyourparade posted:

Middle grounds involve an extremely small teacher to student ratio and an extremely small teacher to student ration costs money, money that a lot of school districts don't have.

Like every solution that actually works, it would cost money and money could come at the expense of precious Number. File it under "why didn't we pay people to stay home/why didn't we do a real lockdown/why didn't we refill the SNS/why didn't we send every American a box of n95s every week / why are thousands of boxes of respirators sitting on the shelf in warehouses while hospitals are still rationing" with the rest of the eminently reasonable poo poo we could have done/could still do but won't.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

The Voice of Labor posted:

we should, in fact, really not be reasonable about that. that is not what schools are for

I just want to be explicit as to why we're rushing to open schools perhaps too early. You're incorrect though. Schools function as subsidized daycare. I have friends who work at low income schools and they have extended after hours programs specifically for this.

My personal opinion is that we should keep the schools closed through the end of year, but I do think since we are being pushed into this we should recognize that there have been steps put in place to limit the risk.

Also, to be clear, wear a mask you fucks! Not you labor, I think you're cool.

Oscar Wild fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 8, 2021

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Oscar Wild posted:

Maybe we're agreeing but I just want to be explicit as to why we're rushing to open schools perhaps too early.

My personal opinion is that we should keep the schools closed through the end of year, but I do think since we are being pushed into this we should recognize that there have been steps put in place to limit the risk.

Also, to be clear, wear a mask you fucks!

I mean, it's not like we couldn't open-er-up safely if we were serious but seriousness has gone into the undying lands and people want to open-er-up for the same reasons that this would never be accepted as the solution to do that

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

The Oldest Man posted:

I mean, it's not like we couldn't open-er-up safely if we were serious but seriousness has gone into the undying lands and people want to open-er-up for the same reasons that this would never be accepted as the solution to do that

https://twitter.com/thehoffather/status/1364707538990632961?s=19

Really awesome. I might have actually stayed in tune if had to hear myself this much.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Oscar Wild posted:

since we are being pushed into this we should recognize that there have been steps put in place to limit the risk.

this is like finding out that a potential partner is riddled with STIs but saying 'well, as long as we use a condom i should be fine!'

IM DAY DAY IRL fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 8, 2021

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Oscar Wild posted:

Really awesome. I might have actually stayed in tune if had to hear myself this much.

Ari Hoffman is a hateful, racist, bigoted piece of poo poo, and should never be cited for anything, ever.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Oscar Wild posted:

I have friends who are teachers who are younger and got vaccinated. That's good. The priority process should meant that if young teachers are living with older people, the older people and immuno-compromised should be also vaccinated. Assuming that, is there a reason we can't start phased return to school?. I understand the reluctance but we need to be reasonable about the roles schools play as subsidized day care.

Schools aren't a place where COVID doesn't exist. Kids may display symptoms less frequently, but they do still catch and transmit COVID.

As others have mentioned, there are, theoretically, ways this could be done relatively safely, but :lol: at the thought of that actually happening what with the expense it would entail and inconvenience to everybody involved. Instead, we're gonna pretend that there aren't any risks being presented from this and be very confused as to why we keep getting people with COVID symptoms turning up in the ER or dying with COVID (but not of COVID) even though the pandemic is officially over in many people's minds.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Kreeblah posted:

:lol: at the thought of that actually happening what with the expense it would entail and inconvenience to everybody involved.

I’ve been thinking about why it managed to happen out here and I don’t think it was money /expense. I think a bunch of things came together. The superintendent had a good relationship with the union. Many of the teachers have young families in the district. With them exception of the issues Snoqualmie and Snoqualmie ridge have with each other the communities in the valley that make up the district are very much still small communities. The superintendent decided to retire at the end of the year and had nothing to lose. Other immensely respected community organizations had been running essential worker day care without issue for basically the whole time. The community was rich enough that half day no lunch at school was viable. Everything was voluntary.

Edit : I mean it should be repeatable, but it won’t be and that makes me quite sad. I mean can I think of another community, anywhere, I’d be comfortable with my son going back and I can’t.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 9, 2021

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

kind of surprised they’re running, maybe have to canvas for them again

https://twitter.com/nikkitaoliver/status/1369655365311197189?s=21

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Well they'll be amazing on the council, really wish they were running for mayor again though.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

GodFish posted:

Well they'll be amazing on the council, really wish they were running for mayor again though.

From what Nikkita has said, running for mayor was extremely exhausting and difficult for them, and I'm not surprised they went a different direction instead and went for city council.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Oscar Wild posted:

As a former band geek. Ha. This is funny.

I feel bad for those band kids. But still. Ha.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Oscar Wild posted:

The joke is that they then get out of the shametents and go eat lunch together without masks on.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

you never leave the shametent it's something you always carry with you here in your heart

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The Voice of Labor posted:

you never leave the shametent it's something you always carry with you here in your heart

CDC WARNING: THE SHAMETENT IN YOUR HEART WILL NOT PROTECT YOU OR OTHERS FROM CONTRACTING SARS-COV-2

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

The Oldest Man posted:

CDC WARNING: THE SHAMETENT IN YOUR HEART WILL NOT PROTECT YOU OR OTHERS FROM CONTRACTING SARS-COV-2

Also does not prevent pregnancy or sexually transmitted infections. A physical shametent is the most effect method to prevent unwanted pregnancies and STIs.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Also does not prevent pregnancy or sexually transmitted infections. A physical shametent is the most effect method to prevent unwanted pregnancies and STIs.

I dunno, these guys are already in band.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Band shame doesn't work within the band.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Thanatosian posted:

Band, like drama, usuallt has two kinds: one where no is loving but desperately want to and one where everyone is loving and causing chaos.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Son of the cop that drove through the crowd of people in Tacoma wrote an editorial in the Stranger, supporting calls for his firing. Probably doesn't cover anything most folks in here are unaware of re: police brutality, but I thought it was worth a look: https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2021/03/08/55693659/my-dad-is-the-tacoma-cop-who-drove-into-the-crowd-of-racers

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

only 6 likes — sad!! i hope he gets low single digits in the primary!

https://twitter.com/bruceforseattle/status/1371876560295272449?s=21

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/gramsofgnats/status/1371886147102666755?s=19

This man is the stupidest motherfucker lmao

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost
Solving homelessness? Open a GoFundMe campaign. Bing bang boom. So simple.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

generic one posted:

Solving homelessness? Open a GoFundMe campaign. Bing bang boom. So simple.

This is great but they have to name it HomeFund but get some really slick art student to come up with a graphic that makes it look like it says HoFundMe and get angry when people are confused

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

seiferguy posted:

This man is the stupidest motherfucker lmao

Bruce Harrell continues to be a cartoon of a useless Democrat. Did you know that back in 2011, when he was on the city council, he wrote a letter to the local US Attorney demanding mandatory police body cameras as a solution to unaccountable police violence? Guess who was US Attorney back then and what happened next.

quote:

Of course, there's a difference between saying you're in favor of doing something and actually doing it. Harrell started pushing for the cameras in 2010, after one officer punched a 17-year-old girl during a jaywalking stop and another officer shot a Native American woodcarver in an incident later ruled unjustified. But he says it took years to see real movement. While the previous mayor and police chief were publicly supportive, "I couldn't get them to act on that support," Harrell says.

In 2011, when the DOJ came to town, Harrell wrote then–US Attorney Jenny Durkan asking the Feds to mandate body cams in Seattle. He wrote at the time that they "would greatly enhance the issues of police accountability and public trust." Eight months later, when the DOJ delivered its findings, there was no mention of body cameras.

The body cameras did eventually come and did gently caress all, so it's not really that surprising that he's digging even deeper for ideas like, "Watch a YouTube video." Just an endless cycle of performative, useless police reforms that take decades to implement and do nothing to stem the tide of violence.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Huh. Who’d have seen that coming?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Oregonian/status/1371972270944624642

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

If only someone had thought of "get the police to watch a YouTube video they have definitely already watched and mocked, then make them super-secret double-pinkie-swear not to do a crime against humanity ever again, no fingers crossed no backsies" before this. Could have solved policing long ago.

There is no loving way I would have ever seen this coming.

The barest semblance of some modicum of accountability for the president of a police union? Not in a million loving years would I have predicted it.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

To be clear, he resigned his position as union president but is not resigning as a police officer, right?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

This is nice!

On a related but less positive note, I also saw that Wheeler’s proposed Gang Gun Violence Task Force was being staffed by “recently retired” officers, which in conjunction with the reported-on spate of retirements during last year’s protest makes his resurrecting the unit immediately after its dissolution all the more blatant. Between that and his “I love kettling!” interview, he really seems to have just tossed the mask aside, huh.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

bicievino posted:

To be clear, he resigned his position as union president but is not resigning as a police officer, right?

Right.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Thanatosian posted:

Just lol if you didn't get a calloused handy from Rebecca, the third trombone.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

https://mobile.twitter.com/AaronMesh/status/1371955297732894720

“We have asked Daryl Turner to return to the PPA as executive director...”

Lmao turns out it’s impossible to flush that loving turd

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AaronMesh/status/1371955297732894720

“We have asked Daryl Turner to return to the PPA as executive director...”

Lmao turns out it’s impossible to flush that loving turd

So did they admit that he was the one who leaked that police report to the local right wing psychos or are they just glossing over exactly what the mistake was precisely in the hopes this just goes away like everything related to cops inevitably does because there is no way to hold them accountable for anything?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

The Oldest Man posted:

So did they admit that he was the one who leaked that police report to the local right wing psychos or are they just glossing over exactly what the mistake was precisely in the hopes this just goes away like everything related to cops inevitably does because there is no way to hold them accountable for anything?

They are very pointedly not saying what the mistake was, even to Wheeler.

https://twitter.com/tessriski/status/1371973445177643014

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

wizzardstaff posted:

They are very pointedly not saying what the mistake was, even to Wheeler.

https://twitter.com/tessriski/status/1371973445177643014

"As the police commissioner, I demand" is a statement Wheeler could have trotted out once or twice last year if he wanted to, huh? Guess now we'll see if it does anything.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

There seems to be some very unsubstantiated chatter or maybe just speculation that he may have been responsible for tying her license plate to the report but yeah at this point I’m assuming he’s probably the leaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

That word "isolated" sure is something, isn't it.