Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

a beautiful and human tale, something he never managed to accomplish with his schlock.
Funny you describe it in those terms, King always thought Jack was too cold in the movie and without any sort of inner turmoil, he was just kind of immediately malevolent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He probably would, dude clearly had a ton of turmoil even before he hit the Overlook. You can feel the sense of inadequacy flowing off him, the building rage as he types his pages of nonsense unable to think of a single line for his novel.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Gaius Marius posted:

He probably would, dude clearly had a ton of turmoil even before he hit the Overlook. You can feel the sense of inadequacy flowing off him, the building rage as he types his pages of nonsense unable to think of a single line for his novel.

Hell of a self-insert

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

slice off the last half of most king stories and it turns into a decent thing

This also works for the entire Dark Tower series.

Also unpopular video game take: Considering the boring gameplay yet cool and creative lore/worldbuilding, Control would have worked better as a walking simulator.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
There really have not been enough videogames based on Stephen King properties

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
No I think there probably has

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Make a game with the Toys trying to kill the hitman guy that could be fun

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm picturing a shawshank redemption style game like that cool mega drive toy story where most of the levels had different styles

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Did anyone actually try this thing?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I haven't read any Stephen King books but Alan wake was P fun for a jump scare sort of game

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ctrl, Alt, .....Shiver pretty much nails how poo poo King's writing is at least.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Well Jack me in to cyberpunk there is a 2d lawnmower man game.

I bet its awful but man hold me back

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
The body/stand by me would be great fodder for a walking sim or an earthbound ripoff, the standard coming of age buddy premise with a morbid twist.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Mar 17, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gaius Marius posted:

Ctrl, Alt, .....Shiver pretty much nails how poo poo King's writing is at least.

That sounds more like a Goosebumps title.

lurker2006 posted:

The body/stand by me would be great fodder for a walking sim or an earthbound ripoff, the standard coming of age buddy premise with a morbid twist.

Was gonna say, isn't that already Earthbound? Also iirc the first Pokemon game has the protagonist watching what's probably Stand By Me on the TV.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Lodin posted:

It better be about a computer that has a f13 key that does weird monkey's paw stuff.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Lodin posted:

Does it have a weird, way too long sex scene in the game?

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable
Browsing through my steam library the other day, noticed that somehow at some point I'd bought Arkham City, probably as part of a Humble Bundle many moons ago. Loved Arkham Asylum back in the day, supposed to be the best in the series, thought I'd give it a go.

I don't like it.

The visual style is really really busy, in a super ugly kind of way. Batman walks around like a robot. The combat is repetitive and boring. The detective stuff is the worlds easiest and most telegraphed minigame, even worse than Witcher 3s "exposition vision". 90% of the voice performances are so over the top it goes beyond pantomime into super crazy goofy whacky zany town. Did I mention everything looks disgustingly over busy, like the texture artists were on coke and stayed up for 3 days overworking every piece of the scenery until they all look like vomit?

What am I missing about super-duper game of the year here? I feel like if I went back to Arkham Asylum I'd still enjoy it, I have fond memories of that game. This thing just gives me a headache.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

RGX posted:

Browsing through my steam library the other day, noticed that somehow at some point I'd bought Arkham City, probably as part of a Humble Bundle many moons ago. Loved Arkham Asylum back in the day, supposed to be the best in the series, thought I'd give it a go.

I don't like it.

The visual style is really really busy, in a super ugly kind of way. Batman walks around like a robot. The combat is repetitive and boring. The detective stuff is the worlds easiest and most telegraphed minigame, even worse than Witcher 3s "exposition vision". 90% of the voice performances are so over the top it goes beyond pantomime into super crazy goofy whacky zany town. Did I mention everything looks disgustingly over busy, like the texture artists were on coke and stayed up for 3 days overworking every piece of the scenery until they all look like vomit?

What am I missing about super-duper game of the year here? I feel like if I went back to Arkham Asylum I'd still enjoy it, I have fond memories of that game. This thing just gives me a headache.

I don't remember the art style being that much different from Arkham Asylum. It's definitely going for a grim n gritty look, but I think it works well for the game world you're in.

Think of it as a super expanded Asylum, for good and for bad. There are a million hidden things in the game, but there are also a lot of areas that feel kind of empty. Asylum had a ton of secrets packed into a smaller area, City rewards you a bit more for walking around and exploring every nook and cranny.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Arkham Asylum was a terrific videogame, played through it twice and had a blast but City came out and it just kinda felt like more of the same but diluted and I could never really bother to play more than a few hours of it

gently caress knows who asked for Knight or Origins

anyone in this thread would do well to beat my mates worst Arkham game opinion though - he said the worst part of Asylum was the Scarecrow segments :wtf: :catdrugs:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i loved asylum but i've tried to get into city like 3 times and for whatever reason it just doesn't hook me the same way

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
an open world Batman game should be more about planning and doing batcave stuff. Arkham Asylum works because batman is trapped in one location

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Well Jack me in to cyberpunk there is a 2d lawnmower man game.

I bet its awful but man hold me back

The PC and console games are completely different. They're both dogshit, but the PC game was made to wow people with early 90's multimedia and so it's slightly more playable as a laugh.

There's also a Dark Half adventure game that was released as a movie tie-in and I think that we've covered everything for Stephen King games. Unless there's some mobile gotcha game where you collect pictures of Tommyknockers or something.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Monster Energy Supercross 4 is too hard and having to upgrade your character to do anything decent is effing annoying. Going from two strokes to 250 class to 450 class and upgrading as you go doesn't really make sense because that means the beginning of the game is the hardest by far (450s are actually easier to drive because they always have the power to get you to the right landing spot). It has the effect of making the game really hard at the beginning and getting progressively easier. Which doesn't make much sense

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor J Off posted:

Does it have a weird, way too long sex scene in the game?

Doubt it, but it has really poo poo pre-flash minigames. It's much worse than I expected.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQyKtSGrihI

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Lodin posted:

Doubt it, but it has really poo poo pre-flash minigames. It's much worse than I expected.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQyKtSGrihI

Huh, so it's like a worse version of Monty Python's Complete Waste of Time

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Lodin posted:

i'm actually astounded this is real

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The problem with all super hero games is that you have to play a character that looks like a complete loving moron and I can't take them seriously. I don't know how the aesthetic ever took off.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Phigs posted:

The problem with all super hero games is that you have to play a character that looks like a complete loving moron and I can't take them seriously. I don't know how the aesthetic ever took off.

Circus performers and wrestlers wore dumb colorful tights/shorts combos and those were the most daring professions people at the time could think of. It's really dumb.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Manager Hoyden posted:

Circus performers and wrestlers wore dumb colorful tights/shorts combos and those were the most daring professions people at the time could think of. It's really dumb.

also comic book art has a deadline and budget. make the costume bright colours to attract customers and not too much detail. that way you can hire the cheapest mooks out there to draw this stuff

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor J Off posted:

Huh, so it's like a worse version of Monty Python's Complete Waste of Time

Yeah, that thing was actually good and cool. I still have the disk somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBsSY_W_rSY

Man, that brings me back.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I've been playing There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension and it's pretty cute. Kind of reminds me of that Monty Python game tbh

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
I'm playing FF7 for the first time and it's the only final fantasy game I've played so far other than Final Fantasy 14. I'm on chapter 9 right now and don't understand the tone of the game at all. It seems to be a kids game in that it's full of combat w/ no blood, zany and over the top characters, and cute animals, but then the characters talk and shout swear words every other line in dialogue. All of the characters.

It so doesn't fit the rest of the game's tone at all. And I'm just disappointed cause it means I can't have my 9 year old daughter play it, and she has a max level 80 character in FF14 all on her own and is in the last expansion of the story in that game. So I thought I'd get a kick out of watching her play this. She hasn't played or watched me play any of it so far, but I see all these things that I know she'd love.

I wish there was an option to sensor it or something. gently caress edge lord dialogue in a kid's game.

its_my_birthday fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 17, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

its_my_birthday posted:

I'm playing FF7 for the first time and it's the only final fantasy game I've played so far other than Final Fantasy 14. I'm on chapter 9 right now and don't understand the tone of the game at all. It seems to be a kids game in that it's full of combat w/ no blood, zany and over the top characters, and cute animals, but then the characters talk and shout swear words every other line in dialogue. All of the characters.

It so doesn't fit the rest of the game's tone at all. And I'm just disappointed cause it means I can't have my 9 year old daughter play it, and she has a max level 80 character in FF14 all on her own and is in the last expansion of the story in that game. So I thought I'd get a kick out of watching her play this. She hasn't played or watched me play any of it so far, but I see all these things that I know she'd love.

I wish there was an option to sensor it or something. gently caress edge lord dialogue in a kid's game.

its a game for teenagers, not kids and not adults. thats why all of the protagonists are teenagers and the gruff old many who joins the party is 32

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Go for final fantasy 9 and play FF7 when she's a bit older.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tbf ff7r is for people in their late 20s-early 30s

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lodin posted:

Yeah, that thing was actually good and cool. I still have the disk somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBsSY_W_rSY

Man, that brings me back.

CWOT has some really deep cuts in it, and it was made in the era where “change the user’s wallpaper without asking” was acceptable program behavior, so if you actually beat the game (which, yes, is entirely possible) it plasters a wallpaper for a new brain at Curry’s on your desktop.

drat do I wish I could get it to run in VirtualBox. :smith:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i dont remember what kind of profanity is in ff7 exactly but i started learning a few swears around 9 and knew them all by 13 might as well get ahead of the other kids

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Earwicker posted:

i dont remember what kind of profanity is in ff7 exactly but i started learning a few swears around 9 and knew them all by 13 might as well get ahead of the other kids

Shi't!

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Plenty of goons played FF7 when they were that age, and look at how we all turned out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

This guy are sick.