Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

el dingo posted:

Regarding companies cheaping out on general IT stuff, software etc: in my experience the bigger the company, the worse their software and equipment is. [...]

I think at these bigger places they look at the costs of upgrading thousands of PCs and buying the same amount of licenses for whatever and just go.... nope, not doing that

Two things:
1) would that software be an old version of GERS by any chance? I know Costco used to use it...
2) it isn't just electronics. We had a proposal in place to replace our often-literally-broken office furniture (which would be nice, because my chair has something like a 10 degree sideways tilt, maintenance couldn't fix it, and I can't find a replacement that fits to my weird cubicle at the right height). The dude pushing for it hardest "left" at the start of covid, rest of management canceled it because "people won't be in the office anyway, so it's too expensive" (while they still weren't sending people home yet, and without a cent to employees who had no reason to have wfh setups because wfh was completely disallowed until the current situation). So I'm still in the broken chair and had to fight to authorize less than $100 of required-by-medical-recommendation equipment that I still ended up having to buy out of pocket and request the expense get compensated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

SkyeAuroline posted:

Two things:
1) would that software be an old version of GERS by any chance? I know Costco used to use it...
2) it isn't just electronics. We had a proposal in place to replace our often-literally-broken office furniture (which would be nice, because my chair has something like a 10 degree sideways tilt, maintenance couldn't fix it, and I can't find a replacement that fits to my weird cubicle at the right height). The dude pushing for it hardest "left" at the start of covid, rest of management canceled it because "people won't be in the office anyway, so it's too expensive" (while they still weren't sending people home yet, and without a cent to employees who had no reason to have wfh setups because wfh was completely disallowed until the current situation). So I'm still in the broken chair and had to fight to authorize less than $100 of required-by-medical-recommendation equipment that I still ended up having to buy out of pocket and request the expense get compensated.

I feel ya

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The only place we are allowed to buy chairs from (it's a part of the contract) used to be very close by so people could hop over, pick a chair and then I'd buy it.
They have moved across the city and now people want me to go out and pick a chair for them.

This is not going to go well.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

SkyeAuroline posted:

Two things:

Cant remember what it was called tbh

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

titty_baby_ posted:

The order was given yesterday to resume in person work, except my boss and my annoying coworker are both working from home still for unknown reasons. We usually have two meetings a week via zoom to check in, and one was today. I was with my other coworker who isn't very tech savvy and we were both going to use his computer for it. instead of joining the right meeting he accidentally created his own zoom meeting. After a few minutes without anyone else joining, we said gently caress it and left. I couldve corrected him and guided him to the right link, but I really didn't want to join the meeting and this way we can both say the link didn't work for whatever reason

I checked my phone to a barrage of messages via Google chat and emails from said annoying coworker, asking me to update things I've already updated and to provide my backlog of activity logs. When we started work from home we were given these incident command forms to fill out everyday to help track any expenses we could bill to our FEMA funding. The only people in our department who have anything to do with ICS or FEMA also happen to be the people we turn the logs in to, who don't do their own logs. I quit doing them months ago because no one was asking and I didn't see the point.

sounds like they should do their own loving logs

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

tittybaby, when you :yotj:ing?

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I hope it got hung in their cube. Someone autoscale printed a document on our plotter and now it's their cube wallpaper.

One wall of my cube was a travel expense claims form that I sent to the plotter by mistake, came out 5' by 7' on super expensive high gloss poster paper

It hung there as testament to my shame until an HR rep asked to borrow it as a teaching aid. Turns out you could write on it with dry erase markers! We were thinking of collaborating on a set of posters covering all the most important forms but that was right before Covid hit.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

SkyeAuroline posted:

Two things:

Many years ago, one of our divisions was going through a pretty rough cost cutting, so pretty much any non-essential purchases were pushed off. This included furniture.
One person at a location had some garbage chair that was giving them back problems. They asked for a replacement, denied. They went to the doctor, got a note saying "This person needs a chair with lumbar support." Request denied.
Sometime later, this person goes out for back surgery, and files for workers comp. They had saved and printed emails with their requests as evidence. It was a slamdunk, that division paid out the rear end for that.
A year or so after that, they were doing a massive remodel, and this time, everyone got brand new Aeron chairs. Someone smart finally did the math, that if you spend some more upfront, it can help farther down. Shame it didn't spread to others.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Riatsala posted:

One wall of my cube was a travel expense claims form that I sent to the plotter by mistake, came out 5' by 7' on super expensive high gloss poster paper

It hung there as testament to my shame until an HR rep asked to borrow it as a teaching aid. Turns out you could write on it with dry erase markers! We were thinking of collaborating on a set of posters covering all the most important forms but that was right before Covid hit.

Mmmmm I have a couple plotters at work. I'm not really a trainer but this is a good idea.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

You can buy replacement castor wheels at eBay or most hardware stores for just a few bucks, you can pull out the busted one with pliers and pop the new one straight in. The trick is making sure they have the same width shaft, they're a standardized shape but come in several widths.

Source: I'm a fat rear end whose current chair is pretty much the Ship of Theseus

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I refuse to fix my work chair. I could probably just ask procurement for a spare but my current plan is to just leave it for my replacement to get a taste of things to come

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

titty_baby_ posted:

I refuse to fix my work chair. I could probably just ask procurement for a spare but my current plan is to just leave it for my replacement to get a taste of things to come

I installed aftermarket wheels for superior gliding and I will be taking them with me to any future workplace. Sorry to whomever is replacing me.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
On one hand I get why we have strict spam filtering here because I’ve seen some people do some bafflingly stupid poo poo with dodgy links, but god gently caress I’d like to actually receive email meant for myself

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

teen witch posted:

On one hand I get why we have strict spam filtering here because I’ve seen some people do some bafflingly stupid poo poo with dodgy links, but god gently caress I’d like to actually receive email meant for myself

Both sound dangerous. What if the email meant for you is asking you to do work?

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

teen witch posted:

There was a period of two months were I couldn't receive any email from a major client. Surprisingly they didn't renew the contract with us

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Gin_Rummy posted:

Am I the only one who would rather sit on the couch, laptop in lap, with the TV on in the background than throw my home PC area out of whack with work vibes and bullshit equipment they try to force upon me?

It's easy-ish enough for me to plug my laptop up to my dual monitors... but like, that is MY Space.. not work's space.

Granted that it’s on your employer to provide such equipment, but the productivity falloff from not having dual screens and real peripherals is too great in many jobs.

Not being able to see a programming IDE & browser & terminal at once is a painfully slow alt-tab fest, and the lack of work would be noticeable.

There’s also a good chance you’ll mess up your back / neck / wrists from working on a couch on a laptop.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

A CRAB IRL posted:

My engineering director said we should use our "design champion", a principal engineer (very senior, non leadership track engineering people who float around different teams), to ensure that we're not missing stuff when building new systems. Upon expressing puzzlement that we had such a thing, I decided to investigate.

There is a principal engineer assigned to the 5 teams in our office. We are in one country, he is west coast US. None of the engineering or product leads on the 5 teams have ever even heard of this guy. When I sent him an email he said something like "I'd be very happy to get involved!". Upon further investigating, he is assigned to just our 5 teams, we are 100% of his responsibilities, and has no other duties. This has been the state of play for at least two years and more likely three.

Dude just straight up accepted a job offer, literally never contacted anyone he was supposed to in our country, turned up to some random meetings and sat there silently now and again so people knew he existed, and no-one ever followed up with him in the states.He has been collecting a principal engineers paycheque, bonus and RSUs ever since. He has netted probably half a million dollars for doing absolutely nothing for three years.

Just, mad respect.

I love this poo poo, I’ve seen the same thing happen at large defense companies I’ve worked at. People who have a lot of experience and maybe one good win under their belt enter this like internal technical consultant position, but whenever they are called on they usually just spout a bunch of ideas and the tech team goes “uhhhh thanks” and never reaches out to that person again, because it was stuff looked at 6 months ago.

But yes same thing, they are collecting high end pay and their boss probably is in on the grift “well I manage our most senior engineers!!!” Because I don’t know how the peasants can get worked and judged hard against program performance, yet these floaters just, well, float

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
MY BOSS: Fleta, rewrite this.

(two days later)

MY BOSS: Fleta, we rewrote the entire document again. Can you fix it so it sounds good?

(two days later)

MY BOSS: Can you do a final check?
ME: Boss, there are a million changes that weren't marked.
MY BOSS: Oh, remove them and put your version back.

(two days later)

MY BOSS: Okay, we had to make it a little shorter, so we rewrote the entire thing again. But I don't like it, it doesn't make sense. Can you rewrite it?

(two days later)

MY BOSS: I think I liked it better how it was before. Can you put your version back?

(two days later)

MY BOSS: Okay, can you add your version to my version and also here is the world's most random Star Wars reference. Put them all together.

(two days later)

MY BOSS: I had the guys rewrite this joke. Can you rewrite it so it makes sense? None of this makes sense anymore, I don't know why...

STOP LETTING THE NINNIES "EDIT"!

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Yeah, chief and subject matter expert positions are hilarious. You literally just have to do 2 things: tell people their design is dumb and be old enough to remember the previous design cycle. Those are the requirements.

Coming from a competitor is also good.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

wooger posted:

Granted that it’s on your employer to provide such equipment, but the productivity falloff from not having dual screens and real peripherals is too great in many jobs.

Not being able to see a programming IDE & browser & terminal at once is a painfully slow alt-tab fest, and the lack of work would be noticeable.

There’s also a good chance you’ll mess up your back / neck / wrists from working on a couch on a laptop.

What's crazy is a lot people viewed having two screens as a luxury you have to beg and plead for at my agency or it was a perk only the higher ups could benefit from, my first week working here I called IT and requested another monitor. Within the day some dude came and installed it and people were astounded that I got one. Never occurred to them to even request one in the first place.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
I have a guy on the account I support whose title is software architect but as far as I know he does no design work and I really don't know what he does normally. I know someone who worked with him at another job and he has a consultant mentality - always selling himself and his abilities, but not doing any real work if possible. He tend to talk a lot on conference calls.

But I kinda like that he is around because the account team calls him on him (instead of me) off hours when there is an issue that requires all hands on deck, and because his title lets him tell the customer that the issue is with their network, and they believe him (it IS their network that is the problem.)

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

wooger posted:

At work I have two big monitors and my laptop open at all time, I've gotten very used to 3 monitors at the same time and will insist on it in the future. Having two at home is fine because my own is huge, but working with one is something that I can't fathom anymore.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'd swap my lovely broken chair for a stack of milk crates before giving up my second monitor.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I live my life on a 15" laptop either on a sofa chair or in the dark recesses of client conference rooms where light never shines.

I would trade all the standalone monitors in the world for to keep a decent track pad and integrated numpad on a laptop.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

(two days later)

MY BOSS: Fleta, we rewrote the entire document again. Can you fix it so it sounds good?

(two days later)

(two days later)

MY BOSS: Okay, we had to make it a little shorter, so we rewrote the entire thing again. But I don't like it, it doesn't make sense. Can you rewrite it?

(two days later)

MY BOSS: I think I liked it better how it was before. Can you put your version back?

(two days later)

MY BOSS: Okay, can you add your version to my version and also here is the world's most random Star Wars reference. Put them all together.

(two days later)

MY BOSS: I had the guys rewrite this joke. Can you rewrite it so it makes sense? None of this makes sense anymore, I don't know why...

This happens to me, except that they get to step 1 and give me the document to rewrite, I emphasise that my edit is just a draft and at the bare minimum needs a sanity check then before I know it they upload it to the live system without a second thought. Better hope I was able to perfectly guess your intentions, including the ones you never mentioned!

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Well... what was the reference?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Marmaduke! posted:

This happens to me, except that they get to step 1 and give me the document to rewrite, I emphasise that my edit is just a draft and at the bare minimum needs a sanity check then before I know it they upload it to the live system without a second thought. Better hope I was able to perfectly guess your intentions, including the ones you never mentioned!

This exact thing. Holy gently caress draft means draft why do I need to teach you what that means?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

(two days later)

(two days later)

(two days later)

(two days later)

(two days later)

(two days later)

Oh man that's no good. At my MegaCorp they often shuffle over management from our retail operations to lead depts in the corporate office. Many of these people are excellent at their jobs, especially when put into a corporate role related to what they did in a store. When put into random IT management roles, less so.

So when I tried to let a new manager know a process was nearly totally broken and wasting millions a year in payroll hours and wanted approval to make a fix at no cost, got a similar reply demanding my proposal be cut down to one page. Then reedited again. Because surely my manager's boss who has one foot out the door and spends all day making homeschooling lessons for his grandkids cannot spare a moment to read one extra word. Eventually it got forgotten and the problem persisted for a few more years.

Outrail posted:

This exact thing. Holy gently caress draft means draft why do I need to teach you what that means?

Lol tell that to HR management who when they receive a draft requesting feedback go ahead and forward it to a whole division as our new official process, and Hyrax will be your personal assistant if you have any questions day or night.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 17, 2021

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
After beginning this role at my company as a systems manager, everyone was so overjoyed that I replaced the last guy who wasn't doing any work, apparently, and just quit out of the blue. Should've been my first red flag. But I really wanted to get paid 40k a year so I took it.

It was fine. Everyone loved me at first, and the work wasn't hard -- it just was really disorganized at times. Feast or Famine. We either had nothing to do but some tickets throughout the day, or suddenly needed 30 computers ready to ship in 3 days across the country. There was SOME ability to plan-ahead for these kinds of situations, but our hiring reports are super messy and the COO was super stingy about loving buying gd computers when we literally cannot function without them.

A month or two ago I was told people were worried I was going to slip in the role, despite my doing the same amount of work and effort I'd been putting in. And then, yesterday they fired me, lol.

I guess I ended up on someone's poo poo list. That's what it feels like at least. Just nitpicky poo poo.

HR told me I was re-hirable and to "take some time and get your head on straight" like I don't loving owe rent!!?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

You can buy replacement castor wheels at eBay or most hardware stores for just a few bucks, you can pull out the busted one with pliers and pop the new one straight in. The trick is making sure they have the same width shaft, they're a standardized shape but come in several widths.

Source: I'm a fat rear end whose current chair is pretty much the Ship of Theseus

Yeah, this. Also if you have a hard floor like I do the casters that are like rollerblade wheels are a godsend if you move around in your chair a lot like I do.

https://www.amazon.ca/Casoter-No-Brake-Replacement-Transparent-Universal/dp/B08G8P2CLP

Also, for carpeted floors I'm considering making something like this out of aluminum or nylon. I think it'd be better than using those floor mats that break and crack. Give them a good enough polish and make them large enough you should be able to push the chair around on the carpet fairly easily. Not sure If it'd be better to dome them completely as pictured or mostly flat with tapered sides.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Yeah, chief and subject matter expert positions are hilarious. You literally just have to do 2 things: tell people their design is dumb and be old enough to remember the previous design cycle. Those are the requirements.

Coming from a competitor is also good.

Our technology "senior fellow" took the retirement package and immediately started consulting with one of our vendors about the designs he thinks we will want in the future. I wasn't sure what he did besides give quotes I got from our vendors directly to customers and cling to the idea we needed DVD drives in every workstation we sold despite both us and the customer transferring data on the network or with secure USB sticks.

TontoCorazon posted:

What's crazy is a lot people viewed having two screens as a luxury you have to beg and plead for at my agency or it was a perk only the higher ups could benefit from, my first week working here I called IT and requested another monitor. Within the day some dude came and installed it and people were astounded that I got one. Never occurred to them to even request one in the first place.

When I started at my previous company, six or so years ago now, dual monitors were a senior management only thing. After about a year you started to see people get second screens, but the company was expanding and needed to prioritize new hires getting equipment. This led to some of the most hilarious/sad intraoffice theft I've seen. People who had two screens that went on vacation always came back to find they were down to one screen. People would leave retirement gatherings to take the monitor off their desk before someone else got to it. I locked my second monitor in my overhead storage when I went on vacation and got called greedy for it. One manager dropped someone's monitor when moving it to someone else's desk and so returned it with big gash of dead pixels and acted like it never happened. It would have been hilarious if we weren't a multibillion dollar defense company that also couldn't manage to find enough phones and trash cans for people as well.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lazyfire posted:

It would have been hilarious if we weren't a multibillion dollar defense company that also couldn't manage to find enough phones and trash cans for people as well.

Oh god you just triggered a memory from many many years ago where the office I worked at the time implemented a directive to cut down on wasted paper ....... by removing all the paper recycling bins from everyone's desks and putting a single large recycling bin on each floor

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i've worked with dozens and dozens of clients and through it all i've had to deal with some real fuckin' characters in management, the type of people where you're pretty sure they have an actual diagnosable personality disorder that they are letting drive their work life, and it can be frustrating but i always just keep my head down and push through to deliver what we need

yesterday though was the first time i actually thought someone was totally losing their grip on reality, though

this meeting started with this guy from the client side berating my team for not being able to hit an arbitrary go live date two weeks earlier than what was on the project plan, weekly status reports, contract, and all documentation regarding the project. nobody on our side knows where this new date came from or why but it's apparently 'critical'. one member of our team, K, wasn't able to attend the meeting and this guy keeps claiming that K told him the new date was fine (K did not say anything of the sort).

the meeting ends in an unsatisfactory way (i can already tell that this dude's actual insanity is going to directly lead to me working a bunch of crunch time next week) and he sends out the meeting notes, where he claims i'd committed to having a major functional area ready for testing by this morning at 11. again, this is made up from absolute whole cloth, nobody agreed or even discussed that, and getting that ready in the time period talked about would be functionally impossible

and this dude is actively angry that we are not meeting the expectations that he has set from his terribly rotten and worm-addled boomer brain

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

TontoCorazon posted:

I think it comes from the fact that monitors used to be really expensive so people perceive extra ones to be superfluous or super costly. How much is a standard 1080p 24" monitor these days? 200 bucks or so?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I guarantee you he hosed up and promised that timing to his bosses and needs to cover

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Lazyfire posted:

It would have been hilarious if we weren't a multibillion dollar defense company that also couldn't manage to find enough phones and trash cans for people as well.

Multibillion dollar defense companies are stingy as gently caress. One I worked at decided to take everyone's personal trash cans away because they couldn't justify the cost of having the janitor empty them.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

^^^^Mine just changed the emptying schedule to every other day to save money. I guess the janitorial staff were paid on a per-head basis or something like that.

Tarkus posted:

I think it comes from the fact that monitors used to be really expensive so people perceive extra ones to be superfluous or super costly. How much is a standard 1080p 24" monitor these days? 200 bucks or so?

Between $120 and $150 if you want an Acer or a Dell. My personal monitor is a curved Samsung 36" that I got for $180. They are incredibly cheap for something that will probably last you ten years and drive per-person productivity way up. The company that does IT for just about every major company out here (DXC) only uses Dell stuff, and then only a few models, so their supply chain is incredibly easy to disrupt if you have more demand than expected or low availability in general.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Tarkus posted:

... they still are expensive for anything worth poo poo, granted, they're just not that expensive on a "business expenses" scale. I'm still working with Vista-era display hardware because replacing them with anything better approaches a grand between the two. Basic business poo poo for Excel and emails, though, yeah that's cheap.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Barudak posted:

I guarantee you he hosed up and promised that timing to his bosses and needs to cover

That's exactly what it sounds like and he's even writing emails to establish a record lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Barudak posted:

oh yeah almost certainly, and i've seen that a million times before, just never with this hardheaded approach of "guess i'll just blatantly ignore reality and make poo poo up even when it's easily verifiable"

e:

TotalLossBrain posted:

That's exactly what it sounds like and he's even writing emails to establish a record lol

this would be worrying in a lot of cases, but here the impressive thing is he's doing this in meetings with our actual management, and now their bosses as well since he's talking about an escalation. so like, literally every single person that matters knows that this was not actually agreed on during that call, and it's only drawn serious attention to the whole thing that does not exactly cast him in a great light. the dude is basically using a tornado warning siren to make sure everyone is paying a ton of attention to how he is moving the goalposts.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 17, 2021