Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

How many pushups can he do then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

John F Bennett posted:

How many pushups can he do then?

All of them.

While sloshed on chateau P.icard

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Picard is such a mary sue

edit: oh wait, according to this piece of internet, he is not a mary sue because he failed his entrance exam the first time:

Picard is No Mary-Sue type character. Mary Sue is a derogatory term for a character, one that is perfect, gets top marks and breezes to the top of their class. When Wesley Crusher fails the entrance exam for Starfleet, Picard reveals in "Coming of Age" that he failed the entrance exam the first time. A Mary-Sue would not fail the first time.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

raverrn posted:

Late, but the weapon uses some kind of radiation that Picard specifically was an expert in. The Cardassians set it up as a trap for him.

Right, so Picard is the only guy in the entire drat fleet who understands that tech. I wonder why he needed that knowledge anyway, since he was just supposed to blow the place up, not study it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It's a flimsy excuse by the writers to get Picard tortured. But at least they made the excuse and didn't really dwell on it.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

John F Bennett posted:

Picard is such a mary sue

edit: oh wait, according to this piece of internet, he is not a mary sue because he failed his entrance exam the first time:

Picard is No Mary-Sue type character. Mary Sue is a derogatory term for a character, one that is perfect, gets top marks and breezes to the top of their class. When Wesley Crusher fails the entrance exam for Starfleet, Picard reveals in "Coming of Age" that he failed the entrance exam the first time. A Mary-Sue would not fail the first time.

That sounds like the kind of cheap flaw a writer would make up for his Mary Sue character after somebody called it out for being a Mary Sue.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Picard is pretty miserable with personal relationships and has no idea how to handle kids.

I'd assume that a Mary Sue would be a Sex Champion and friend to all children to a degree that makes Santa look like a chum

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Who's the poor schmuck who gets to clean the holodeck after use?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Lower Decks

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

John F Bennett posted:

Who's the poor schmuck who gets to clean the holodeck after use?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just have a hologram clean the holodeck

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Does the holodeck replicate real food and drink if you asked for food there?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

V-Men posted:

Does the holodeck replicate real food and drink if you asked for food there?

Yes.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Then why doesn't voyager make one of their holodecks into a restaurant instead of eating Neelix's gruel?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Actual Satan posted:

Then why doesn't voyager make one of their holodecks into a restaurant instead of eating Neelix's gruel?

Vague rationing reasons

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Actual Satan posted:

They had replicator and holodeck rations that the crew were limited to due to the ship's energy and fuel limitations. I think they make a point of trading rations in some episodes.

Running a holodeck as the mess hall would have been a very energy intensive operation.

They specifically repurposed the captain's galley into the ship mess hall and used old-fashioned cooking because it was much more energy efficient. Also because the writers needed something for Nelix to do while not playing guide.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

They had replicator and holodeck rations that the crew were limited to due to the ship's energy and fuel limitations. I think they make a point of trading rations in some episodes.

Running a holodeck as the mess hall would have been a very energy intensive operation.

They specifically repurposed the captain's galley into the ship mess hall and used old-fashioned cooking because it was much more energy efficient. Also because the writers needed something for Nelix to do while not playing guide.

the holodeck was *mumblemumble* separate power source *mumblemumble* irish village

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Realtalk tho the holodeck having a power source totally isolated from the rest of the ship is 100% a continuity thing, Geordi whined to starfleet after he had to turn off his holodeck waifu when the ship's power was running out during Booby Trap and they fixed the bug with Voyager.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The writers needed a reason why the answer to every holodeck gone mad episode wasn't "pull the plug."

I'd imagine it's probably not an entirely separate power generation system tbh, but it's got its own backup supercapacitor or something so that when the ship looses power everyone who's in the middle of doing a base jumping program doesn't get pasted in the holodecks.

It probably charges from the main power grid and can run the holodecks for a while (but not indefinitely) when main power fails.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 17, 2021

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The Voyager power thing always felt odd to me, with Warp Drive taking you all over the place and meeting other warp capable species how do you just not get more of whatever it is you use to make power?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

The writers needed a reason why the answer to every holodeck gone mad episode wasn't "pull the plug."

I'd imagine it's probably not an entirely separate power generation system tbh, but it's got its own backup supercapacitor or something so that when the ship looses power everyone who's in the middle of doing a base jumping program doesn't get pasted in the holodecks.

It probably charges from the main power grid and can run the holodecks for a while (but not indefinitely) when main power fails.

nah the holodeck has a totally different power-generating reactor which is totally incompatible with the rest of the ship's systems, got established in Parallax.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

socialsecurity posted:

The Voyager power thing always felt odd to me, with Warp Drive taking you all over the place and meeting other warp capable species how do you just not get more of whatever it is you use to make power?

The excuse was that Voyager was using some new state of the art technology, and they couldn't get replacement parts because of it.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I'm still confused as to how the holodeck works regarding distance and travelling for the user, spacing etc..

Where can I read up on this space magic?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Just more stuff they didn't think through. Getting more antimatter is a problem, it's not just lying around, but if there are warp capable civilizations they have it and you could trade/steal some. Deuterium is extremely easy, literally anywhere with water has more of it than a starship would ever need. And deuterium is what the fusion reactors use, so there's no reason you'd have power issues. Even if you ran out of antimatter and couldn't go to warp, you'd be able to run the fusion reactors and keep the ship powered.

Voyager having to deal with rationing and stuff, however, was a good story idea. But they didn't really care to explain why, nor did the rationing ever really affect anything on the show that I can remember.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

John F Bennett posted:

I'm still confused as to how the holodeck works regarding distance and travelling for the user, spacing etc..

Where can I read up on this space magic?

Forced perspective and treadmills.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Forced perspective and treadmills.

Things like that, are they explained on the show or just added outside of the series but considered canon?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

John F Bennett posted:

Things like that, are they explained on the show or just added outside of the series but considered canon?

The latter. They never explain how it works in the show that I can recall.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
If I had a holodeck i would do more interesting things like "being superman" or "flying through Jupiter like some or space sim" instead of "mundane improv theater, with me as the main actor" I think this is what you get when you get TV people to come up with what they would do if they could do anything. "I'd play King Lear... AS King Lear! Oh ho, don't mind me if I get too crazy"

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Does the technical manual ever explain why when you throw a holographic rock the holodeck is too stupid to stop physically simulating the rock before it bounces off the loving wall?

Was the introduction of that line of code the reason Voyager/DS9 don't need a black wall with yellow stripes to protect the emitter scaffolding?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Cat Hatter posted:

Does the technical manual ever explain why when you throw a holographic rock the holodeck is too stupid to stop physically simulating the rock before it bounces off the loving wall?

Was the introduction of that line of code the reason Voyager/DS9 don't need a black wall with yellow stripes to protect the emitter scaffolding?

What makes you think they do actually physically simulate it all the way to hitting the wall?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Nitrousoxide posted:

What makes you think they do actually physically simulate it all the way to hitting the wall?

Data's bank shot in Encounter At Farpoint

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Axe-man posted:

If I had a holodeck i would do more interesting things like "being superman" or "flying through Jupiter like some or space sim" instead of "mundane improv theater, with me as the main actor" I think this is what you get when you get TV people to come up with what they would do if they could do anything. "I'd play King Lear... AS King Lear! Oh ho, don't mind me if I get too crazy"

There's probably also budgetary considerations as well, sadly.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That’s another thing DS9 did right; just having people talk about their holodeck adventures instead of trying to show them and blow your budget. You don’t need to see Bashir and O’Brien flying over the channel in Spitfires, just slap costumes on them and have them toast their dead wingman at the bar.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Tunicate posted:

nah the holodeck has a totally different power-generating reactor which is totally incompatible with the rest of the ship's systems, got established in Parallax.
The holodecks are 240v AC, the rest of the ship is 3000Mw ER (Exploding Rocks).

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
DS9 also does have Our Man Bashir which is, imo, the best of the “uh oh, the VR system is on the fritz again and it’s about to kill everyone” episodes

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I also loved the concept of “everyone’s souls completely max out DS9’s hard drive space, so we’re gonna shunt their bodies into the holosuite system lol”

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I'm one of those people who thinks that transporters kill you, so the fact that Discovery has transporter enabled comm badges is pretty funny to me since it's basically a suicide machine on tap.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I guess the episode Our Man Bashir means that souls are a thing in Star Trek? Because to store the mind of a person, wouldn't you only need to store a facsimile of his brain? This implies there is more to the brain than flesh.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm one of those people who thinks that transporters kill you, so the fact that Discovery has transporter enabled comm badges is pretty funny to me since it's basically a suicide machine on tap.

A apt metaphor for the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I think there's a bit of holodeck explanation in one of the first TNG episodes, but I can't remember the specifics, except whoever is explaining makes sure to end on "and a bunch of more sophisticated tricks".

The biggest trick in my opinion is when the holodeck party separates and they still have to be in the save limited physical space. But it's all space magic.

Meanwhile, in the Discovery timeline: " I need to be at my station way across the ship in 30 seconds. Oh well, guess I'll just kill myself"