Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Failed Imagineer posted:

To my British comrades - I'm giving you each permission to use one anti-Irish slur today. You've been so good all year

inferior potassium :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I got a letter for the government saying they owe me £257 tax rebate. All the documentation seems genuinely legit, but they've sent the cheque to a company I've never heard of, and who have absolutely gently caress-all web presence ("Ensign Advisory Ltd") - my employer has never heard of them either.

The only thing they have online is some Marriage Allowance rebate service, which I have absolutely not ever used.

All guidance on the letter and the HMRC website seems to imply that cheques should only ever go to the individual, not a third party.

I am waiting on the phone to HMRC atm, which is taking FOREVER.. but has this ever happened to any of you lot before?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
based on my experiences to date i would rather have a root canal than have to deal with a tax office

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Red Oktober posted:

Pizza oven talk: My parents and my brother all have 'Ooni' pizza ovens and they're absolutely amazing. If I didn't live in a flat with no outdoor space I'd get on in a heartbeat.

This is why I went electric. There are some very good home pizza ovens these days.

Classic margherita:

And because I'm naff some abominations in the eyes of italians:

Vegetarian mock duck, hoisin sauce, cucumber and spring onion:

Chicken tikka madras, onion and cucumber + mint raita:

Pizza is very UKMT food. In its current form it started as poor food, served much to the working poor in Naples much like pasties and pies were in the UK: as a cheap self contained meal that could be eaten without the need for cutlery. It is still a cheap food, in that the ingredients cost pennies as they're used sparingly, but much like oysters and other traditionally poor offerings have ballooned in price and popularity. The mark-up on pizza is insane if you buy it at a restaurant.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I see Chris Bryant's transformation into Kenneth Williams continues apace.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

The Perfect Element posted:

I got a letter for the government saying they owe me £257 tax rebate. All the documentation seems genuinely legit, but they've sent the cheque to a company I've never heard of, and who have absolutely gently caress-all web presence ("Ensign Advisory Ltd") - my employer has never heard of them either.

The only thing they have online is some Marriage Allowance rebate service, which I have absolutely not ever used.

All guidance on the letter and the HMRC website seems to imply that cheques should only ever go to the individual, not a third party.

I am waiting on the phone to HMRC atm, which is taking FOREVER.. but has this ever happened to any of you lot before?

Sounds like a scam, any rebate I've receieved came with a letter/cheque from HMRC/Inland Rev. Would bet if you contacted 'Ensign Advisory' they would help process your rebate (there is no rebate), but ask you to pay some sort of charge.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

keep punching joe posted:

Sounds like a scam, any rebate I've receieved came with a letter/cheque from HMRC/Inland Rev. Would bet if you contacted 'Ensign Advisory' they would help process your rebate (there is no rebate), but ask you to pay some sort of charge.

But there are no contact details for Ensign Advisory Ltd. They have that one marriage service website thing, but other than that its just Companies House etc.

I would honestly be stunned if this was a scam rather than some kind of cock-up; as I say, the documentation I've received seems 100% legit, and the only contact details provided are the gov.uk website and the genuine HMRC telephone number.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

StarkingBarfish posted:

And because I'm naff some abominations in the eyes of italians:

Oooh pick me pick me

I made this the other day, the Yellowest Pizza:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Oooh pick me pick me

Reported for being a Liberal Democrat.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
pineapple pizza perversion being posted itt

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Ensign Advisory is a real company, here's all their accounts & that, it's registered to this unmarked building on some grey commercial estate, & it's been trading for 10 years. Looks to be a bit of a one man band, and the guy in question is a director of like 7 tax consultancy firms all with really convoluted relationships to each other but meticulously filed accounts, which sounds (a)dodgy as hell & (b)exactly how you'd expect a legitimate tax consultant to operate, so imo it's probably Not A Scam.

(ime sham companies usually only trade for short periods of time, with very scant & incomplete accounts, constant changes of often-related directors to get around bans, and connections to a string of other dissolved obviously-dodgy companies - not seeing any warning signs on this one, just obvious asset-hiding)

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

The Perfect Element posted:

Just FYI HMRC's webchat is often a much quicker way to get a response and the advisers are pretty good in my experience
https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/income-tax-enquiries-for-individuals-pensioners-and-employees

But any refund I've ever had has come as a cheque to me, so that sounds dodgy as hell

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Do you actually have a spouse, and if so might they have used the service without your knowledge?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Oooh pick me pick me

APAB: All Pizzas Are Beautiful

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I checked the other related companies, this looks to be the guy's trading name, you should probably contact them (as well as HMRC) to find out what's up. My guess is that all the other companies are basically shells for tax reason, & this is the "real" company

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Failed Imagineer posted:

To my British comrades - I'm giving you each permission to use one anti-Irish slur today. You've been so good all year

Gerry Adams for Head of State.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

My great grandad was from Dublin, do I get to make fun of the sassenachs instead?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Couldn’t be any more transparent that Labour have a parachute candidate and don’t actually want anyone else to apply

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1371886329559154690?s=21

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Noxville posted:

Couldn’t be any more transparent that Labour have a parachute candidate and don’t actually want anyone else to apply

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1371886329559154690?s=21

At this point it might be worth chucking a fiver on the NIP.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Necrothatcher posted:

At this point it might be worth chucking a fiver on the NIP.

I already regret not sticking £1 on them when they were 200/1 as their odds have fallen to half that within a day. (Skybet have them 50/1 now, drat)

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

"Can I just gently remind the PM..." Kieth, 2021

No sarcasm, no irony.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I wish the NIP wasn't regional, just seems like an obstacle to the new left party we need right now

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

I wish the NIP wasn't regional, just seems like an obstacle to the new left party we need right now

Would vote for a London-specific or general southern leftist party, tbqh.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Ultimately doesn't it just mean even in the wildest success they can never have a majority and since there's no mechanism or liklihood of Northern independence what's the point of shooting yourself in the foot right from the naming of the party

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I'll tell you why: spooks, everyone in this country is an op

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

Ultimately doesn't it just mean even in the wildest success they can never have a majority and since there's no mechanism or liklihood of Northern independence what's the point of shooting yourself in the foot right from the naming of the party

Because dreaming about the destruction of the United Kingdom is good and pleasant and wholesome

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Agreed that's why we gotta sweep across the whole thing, divided we will never slay the beast since parliament weilds dictatorial power

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
So when I got through to the hmrc guy he told me that this company had informed hmrc that I'd instructed them as my agents, which I definitely haven't. So now they're just going to send the cheque to me instead.

When I told him that I'd never heard of them etc he was just like 'huh that's weird' and when I asked if I should report them he was like 'can do idk'.

Fookin weird.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
My wife and I have racked up £400's worth of vouchers between us from the Covid survey we're in and now they want my blood

and they're extending the study to next April :stare: That's gonna be another £600, thanks government take all the bodily fluids you want

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

My wife and I have racked up £400's worth of vouchers between us from the Covid survey we're in and now they want my blood

and they're extending the study to next April :stare: That's gonna be another £600, thanks government take all the bodily fluids you want

What sort of vouchers are they? Where can you use them?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

he must feed

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

forkboy84 posted:

What sort of vouchers are they? Where can you use them?

Loads of places. Like Amazon.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

StarkingBarfish posted:

Pizza is very UKMT food. In its current form it started as poor food, served much to the working poor in Naples much like pasties and pies were in the UK: as a cheap self contained meal that could be eaten without the need for cutlery. It is still a cheap food, in that the ingredients cost pennies as they're used sparingly, but much like oysters and other traditionally poor offerings have ballooned in price and popularity. The mark-up on pizza is insane if you buy it at a restaurant.

I have a cousin who owns a chip shop/pizzeria, and he once told me that every night he says a prayer thanking pizza hut and dominos for convincing everyone a large pizza should cost £15+.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Surely no human being alive has ever paid the actual listed price for a Dominos pizza

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Reveilled posted:

I have a cousin who owns a chip shop/pizzeria, and he once told me that every night he says a prayer thanking pizza hut and dominos for convincing everyone a large pizza should cost £15+.

It's the same with fancy coffee places making the price of tea rocket up. A cup of tea must cost a few pence to make.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I can't think of any other retailer or restaurant that simultaneously overcharges and devalues its own products to such a huge extent as Dominos and Pizza Hut.

I assume they must make a lot off people willing to pay full price, but it must mostly be dickheads with too much cash who happily spend £500 on 30 pizzas for a party or to show off.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I have paid full price at both Dominos & Pizza Hut whilst stoned :(

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

stev posted:

I can't think of any other retailer or restaurant that simultaneously overcharges and devalues its own products to such a huge extent as Dominos and Pizza Hut.

I assume they must make a lot off people willing to pay full price, but it must mostly be dickheads with too much cash who happily spend £500 on 30 pizzas for a party or to show off.

They're still making stupid bank on the offers and discounts, which should tip you off to how overpriced a non-offer pizza is. It's genuinely sub-prime mortgage levels of insanity except it's not tied into the entire economy (yet?)

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Form a series of local independence parties in the vein of the NIP, then coalesce as one formal party in Westminster

Surely nothing can go wrong with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBl9aXbljLA