Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

axolotl farmer posted:

If you go talk to Rosaria you will anger Sirris
Respeccing and changing looks is ok, just don't hand in a tongue for the covenant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

poo poo, I might do it then. (I don’t even think I know who that person is). Is there anything I should know about good catalysts or spells, or a good melee weapon that builds well into magic stuff? I want to nuke things with cool effects while being invincible and looking dapper as gently caress in some wizard armor. That’s what I want. I want to walk into a room, and as a bunch of enemies try to jump scare me I want to push a button and watch as the fabric of like reality itself just loving explodes and kills them all. Also, I didn’t get more than 14 points in int/faith but is the only way to increase attunement slots with rings? I ask because that sounds like a lame use for rings. I’m not down with that. That would kind of suck honestly.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Blind Rasputin posted:

poo poo, I might do it then. (I don’t even think I know who that person is). Is there anything I should know about good catalysts or spells, or a good melee weapon that builds well into magic stuff? I want to nuke things with cool effects while being invincible and looking dapper as gently caress in some wizard armor. That’s what I want. I want to walk into a room, and as a bunch of enemies try to jump scare me I want to push a button and watch as the fabric of like reality itself just loving explodes and kills them all. Also, I didn’t get more than 14 points in int/faith but is the only way to increase attunement slots with rings? I ask because that sounds like a lame use for rings. I’m not down with that. That would kind of suck honestly.
Sirris is one of the more finnicky questlines. She spawns in Firelink and initially tells you to gently caress off, then becomes friendly out of nowhere when you hand in the Dreamchaser's Ashes (behind an illusory wall in the swamp), then you have to get summoned by her at a spot you would never ever check back to (the start of the bridge before Irythill where the dog chases you), then you have to talk to her again in Firelink, and THEN help her out again at the Curse-Rotted Greatwood arena, another spot you wouldn't dream of checking back to. At least there's a little hint for that.

Anyway, invincible you'll probably not get, but you can of course nuke away. The best way to do that is to be a bit of a glass cannon (in fact, that's kind of the only way to really NUKE instead of "just" having strong ranged options) - Dusk's crown, off-hand Scholar's Candlestick, both magic boosting rings, probably magic stoneplate as well, and the casting speed ring (so yeah that's all slots taken).

You get more Attunement slots (and FP) by statting...attunement.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Blind Rasputin posted:

I basically did this on my NG+1 playthrough, re-specced to mage man but honestly the amount of time it took to get good catalysts and the fact I didn't really have enough attunement meant I was going for rings. Plus, getting actually good spells requires a lot of souls so you're practically playing another playthrough within that one to get up to spec.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Oh lol. The stat I legitimately forgot existed. Thanks for the info!

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Simply Simon posted:

Sirris is one of the more finnicky questlines. She spawns in Firelink and initially tells you to gently caress off, then becomes friendly out of nowhere when you hand in the Dreamchaser's Ashes

It's not "out of nowhere" - the ashes are her Grandfather's - Holy Knight Hodrick, who runs the Mound Makers.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Mescal posted:

When y'all say that infused weapons are generally no good, do you mean for PVP or just playing the game solo? I was thinking about making a blessed ^H^H^H crystal weapon for the INT bonus

they mean high level or twink pvp

literally doesnt matter what you use if you're just having a chill solo run, use whatever you like, upgrade whatever you want. Go hog wild!

e; also wear whatever you want (but legit dont leave any slot empty), use any spells do whatever, be gay, do crimes

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

HaB posted:

It's not "out of nowhere" - the ashes are her Grandfather's - Holy Knight Hodrick, who runs the Mound Makers.
"Umbral ash of one who dreamt of joining the Undead Legion.

With this, the shrine handmaid will prepare new items. In the end, the dream chasers who wandered aimlessly in the rotted forest found a sense of fulfillment."

how obvious, silly me

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Oh god, Midir is a load of bullshit. I'm feeling I only get to damage him if I'm lucky enough that the RNG powering him is having a bad day.

Tips say he sticks with melee attacks if you hang round his head - THEN WHY IS HE LASERING ME?! THAT'S A LONG RANGE ATTACK. AARGH.

I hate feeling like I'm going to have to get lucky to beat him, that's very un-Souls.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Blind Rasputin posted:

My current build and favorite pyro build is this. https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3/451650
High INT and Faith. Use the default Pyromancy flame. It is easy to get. Use pyro flame in mainhand and offhand the witchtree branch or saint-tree bellvine. You can use Chaos bed vestages or great chaos fire orb. I like the fire orb personally as it uses less FP. Pair it with a chaos broadsword (and a dark longsword if there are enemies resistant to fire) and chaos dagger. I also carry a simple kite shield as it gives you an effective blocking shield that can also parry. Simple slowly restores FP. Hidden body is absolutely broken. If you don't feel like engaging enemies in an area, you can swap out one of the +Pyro rings for slumbering dragon ring and simply sneak by everything. The chaos dagger (and a dark dagger if you encounter enemies resistance to fire) will one-shot most things or two-shot at most.

If you want to go pure sorcerer. I'd do something like this. This build is how I beat nameless king. https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3/451653 You can take points out of faith and bump up any other skill you want. With all the damage boosts active, your Crystal Soul Spear does stupid high damage, the Great Heavy Soul Arrow casts a bit faster and uses much less FP so it is your staple spell. Simple Kite shield for FP recovery and a crystal broadsword. You can also deal dark damage with Dark Edge. You can swap Dark edge for farrons sword or any other spell you think you might want. Could also use spook to pair with hidden body for sneaky sorc assassin.

Edit: Damage of sorc with max +Sorc items:
Edit edit: I use fallen knight armor as it looks absolutely badass and fashion souls is the true endgame.

Saul Kain fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 16, 2021

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Simply Simon posted:

"Umbral ash of one who dreamt of joining the Undead Legion.

With this, the shrine handmaid will prepare new items. In the end, the dream chasers who wandered aimlessly in the rotted forest found a sense of fulfillment."

how obvious, silly me

Sure but there's also the shrine vendor's unique reaction to that one Ash (because she was involved with (married?) to him), and iirc, Sirris herself has some dialog directly related to it as well.

Not denying that it's not super obvious - but what is in Soulsborne games?

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Also if you are curious about how different catalysts scale with INT or Faith. See this page. https://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Int-Faith+Staff+Magic+Adjustments

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

What was the comment about the high level spells costing a lot of souls? Do you have to upgrade them to like +1 +2 etc like weapons before they’re good? I feel like I have accrued a wild amount of good spells from exploring and boss souls. Since I was planning on a mage playthrough or just wanted to attempt to try them. I haven’t purchased any from vendors if maybe that’s what that meant.

8 vitality... I used the gundyr heavy armor for the last 1/3 of the game my sides hurt just seeing that.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Mescal posted:

I'll probably end up with pure INT, because these raw weapons haven't encouraged me to keep up DEX. Anyway, how am I supposed to know what's resistant to what? The guides don't mention it. The next boss is a big skeleton guy, so I'd presume he deals dark + phys damage, is resistant to fire, and vulnerable to magic + phys?

I accidentally aggroed the NPC next to the catacombs rope bridge :( RIP hope he wasn't important

Trial and error really. Raw weapons are literally only good for caster builds since the vast majority of melee weapons scale off of STR/DEX. If you've been leveling DEX too a raw weapon will do you 0 favors, make it sharp instead and buff it with the magic weapon spells. As a general rule of thumb weaknesses in dark souls work as such:

If it's human, use Dark
If it's undead or a beast, use Fire
If it's in armor, use Magic
If it's capable of flight or is reptilian (including dragons and such) use Lightning

If you piss off an NPC there's a statue in the sewers of the undead settlement where you can obtain forgiveness.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Would anyone on PS4 be willing to trade some red summon sign invasions for vertebra shackles? I have been grinding the skeletons for hours in the catacombs and only have 10, and suck too much at PVP to get them that way. I’m happy to return the favor.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Holy gently caress. Aldrich Faithful covenant is broken as hell. Nothing but gank squad after gank squad. And they're clearly all in the same discord chat. It's not fair, I can't block these people from ruining the game, and I don't understand how they could be having any fun. Like how long can you spawn gank people and for zero benefits? Apparently forever. It's enough to make me put down the game and rate it 0/10.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Play offline until you’re through that area? Don’t use an ember and you can’t be invaded iirc.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Saul Kain posted:

Play offline until you’re through that area? Don’t use an ember and you can’t be invaded iirc.

Uh.. no? I'm trying to play as Aldrich Faithful. Other players have ruined the covenant by using it as a free ganking summon. Like the bell towers in DS2 didn't get ruined and suck rear end, so why did they let this happen? (Admittedly people hosed up the rat covenant alot)

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

War Wizard posted:

Holy gently caress. Aldrich Faithful covenant is broken as hell. Nothing but gank squad after gank squad. And they're clearly all in the same discord chat. It's not fair, I can't block these people from ruining the game, and I don't understand how they could be having any fun. Like how long can you spawn gank people and for zero benefits? Apparently forever. It's enough to make me put down the game and rate it 0/10.

yeah gank squads suck, if you're just after the covenant rewards you can farm dregs from deacons

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Ganks are annoying but I never found them to be unbearably common. And as a Faithful you'll usually get a buddy if you can hold out for a bit. Gank players are typically really bad so if you can have even just one other stranger helping out your odds become pretty decent. Sometimes regular invaders will show up too and most of the time they'll be in truce with the faithful. You can still hurt each other though so be careful of your attacks and positioning.

I think faithful was the most fun I had with DS3 PVP because of how much activity there is in that area and the level feels particularly fun for multiplayer.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I think I played the game wrong because I only ever used an ember as a backup health flask in dire situations, or just sold them sometimes for 1000 souls each. I embered up once or twice to summon an NPC, too. But I didn’t want to play with multiplayer on because I don’t like randos ruining my fun.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
No such thing as playing wrong so long as you're having fun. Though I'd say there's no reason to fret so much about getting invaded that you never use your embers. Someone who spends the whole game embered is only going to be invaded a handful of times and probably more by NPCs than actual players. Players with a summoned phantom get way higher priority for invasion than lone players.

Dark souls is a game where you're inevitably going to die a lot, a few more deaths isn't going to ruin anything. Hell, you're actually probably dying more from forgoing the ember hp bonus.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Blind Rasputin posted:

I think I played the game wrong because I only ever used an ember as a backup health flask in dire situations, or just sold them sometimes for 1000 souls each. I embered up once or twice to summon an NPC, too. But I didn’t want to play with multiplayer on because I don’t like randos ruining my fun.

I did not realise until playthrough 2 that embers were for summoning and not extra super health. Anytime I summoned I just thought it was happen-stance

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Blind Rasputin posted:

This is more or less how I played. I'd ember on boss fights or if I got stuck somewhere hard, but I didn't run around like that often.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Do we have a thread for Demon's Souls now? Or was it the old one (lol) and it's basically dead?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

HaB posted:

Do we have a thread for Demon's Souls now? Or was it the old one (lol) and it's basically dead?

New thread. A bit dead because everyone who has a PS5 already beat the game

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

skasion posted:

New thread. A bit dead because everyone who has a PS5 already beat the game

Ah. Thanks.

I just managed to get a PS5 last week, so I am just now getting around to playing it.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

HaB posted:

How can they be his? He's still alive. I figured it was some other relation.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Eschatos posted:

Because wibbly-wobbly-timey-wimey stuff.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

War Wizard posted:

Uh.. no? I'm trying to play as Aldrich Faithful. Other players have ruined the covenant by using it as a free ganking summon. Like the bell towers in DS2 didn't get ruined and suck rear end, so why did they let this happen? (Admittedly people hosed up the rat covenant alot)

Oh sorry, I misunderstood your previous post. I tried to do some mound makers invading there and yeah there were a ton of grouped up people.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Eschatos posted:

Or it could be the ashes of the unnamed son of Hodrick and the Handmaid, father of Sirris.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

P cool for anyone who rushed out to get a PS5 that the only good game is a remake

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
PS4 games run really really well on it though. I've had mine since November and I am still extremely happy with it playing it every night for hours

Dark souls 3 on PS5 will blow your loving mind. Perfect frame rate and the environments look so vibrant with HDR considering how the contrast between dark and light is such a strong motif.

I'm sure native PS5 titles will start coming out once I'm at least halfway through my backlog! So far my favorite purchase of 2020 tho

Ohhhh playstation

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

codo27 posted:

P cool for anyone who rushed out to get a PS5 that the only good game is a remake

nah

KingSlime posted:

PS4 games run really really well on it though. I've had mine since November and I am still extremely happy with it playing it every night for hours

Dark souls 3 on PS5 will blow your loving mind. Perfect frame rate and the environments look so vibrant with HDR considering how the contrast between dark and light is such a strong motif.

I'm sure native PS5 titles will start coming out once I'm at least halfway through my backlog! So far my favorite purchase of 2020 tho

Ohhhh playstation

this

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Plus with this cool thing called "the internet" you never have to worry about buying a console that has no games. If you don't look up the lineup of current available products as well as upcoming confirmed releases before spending $500 on a toy, well you should do that before you spend half a grand on a computer that is locked into this software. Gaming PCs can be had for the same price too so it's a win-win for everyone (except for those of you who are still unable to get a PS5, sorry friends you'll get your soon I see scalper prices going down)

Anyways getting my rear end kicked over and over by freide has never looked so stunning! God drat it I am going to solo her this time no matter what

I can reliably get to the third phase with around eight Estus or so then she just wrecks me. I watched some YouTube no hit fights with her and I think my problem is that I am getting too close. I'll try keeping my distance and really only poking at her when she uses very specific moves that leave her slightly more open.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 17, 2021

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Tbh I wish we could swap Friede with Maria. Friede is a Bloodborne boss in the wrong game.

that duck
Mar 23, 2013

axolotl farmer posted:

Or it could be the ashes of the unnamed son of Hodrick and the Handmaid, father of Sirris.

The ashes belong to the handmaid's husband, Sirris' grandfather.

Hodrick is Sirris' father. He is probably (but not certainly) the handmaid's son.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I just finished my first full playthrough of DS3 + all DLC. Ended up switching to playing offline near the start due to some internet connectivity issues and so enjoyed a nice, chill solo run. Quality build, shieldless, med roll, mained Hollowslayer for most of the game although I only discovered how much fun Dragonslayer Greataxe was at the end.

I'd heard a lot of mixed things about the game, and the early areas and especially bosses were nothing special (Road of Sacrifices / Farron Keep suuuuucked), but the second half of the game and the DLCs were a significant improvement. Pretty much all the boss fights from Ithryll on out loving ruled. Pontiff, Aldrich, Twin Princes, Oceiros, Gundyr, Friede, Gael, and even the final boss were all extremely fun, tight fights. Nameless King was a blast once you can consistently get through the first phase.

Lore left a lot to be desired (I much preferred DS2 there) but good lord is DS3 is tons of fun to play. I get the sense it's a good thing I waited until the game was fully patched w/ all DLC available before I started to play it, though.

that duck posted:

The ashes belong to the handmaid's husband, Sirris' grandfather.

Hodrick is Sirris' father. He is probably (but not certainly) the handmaid's son.

This doesn't track with Sirris' message on the Green Blossom, though, where she explicitly says she's going to visit "Grandfather" in the Pit

But Rocks Hurt Head fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 17, 2021

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Is pyromancy sorcery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
pyromancy is pyromancy.