Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Zedhe Khoja posted:

hmmmm pistachios

Somehow Iran manages to produce half the pistachios in the world. Also there idea of a pistachio forest is very attractive to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

BonHair posted:

unlike Dutch, Swiss German, standard German, Bavarian, Austrian and whatever else.

Uhh yeah, Dutch doesn't fit into this list at all my dude

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BonHair posted:

Somehow Iran manages to produce half the pistachios in the world. Also there idea of a pistachio forest is very attractive to me.

California pistachio producers lobby for action against Iran. Not a joke.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

Uhh yeah, Dutch doesn't fit into this list at all my dude

Lower German was more effectively gotten rid of, leading to a bigger divide between what we think of as German and Dutch, but they're pretty close. Dutch of probably the outlier in the list though. Historically speaking, Dutch was a German dialect, unlike Danish which is a Nordic language.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Modern Dutch is roughly halfway between English and German.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In any case dutch and english are in the west germanic family alongside regular german (and scots and low german :3) while the scandinavian languages are all in north germanic. RIP east germanic.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

RIP east germanic.
Goth isn't dead!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Just gonna post this from Wikipedia:

It's all German, including English, but excluding Danish.

Link including maps: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_language

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

To be fair, Danish is more of a disease of the throat.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/Gekotweets/status/1371138556081680391

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

BonHair posted:

Just gonna post this from Wikipedia:

It's all German, including English, but excluding Danish.

Link including maps: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_language

That family tree is a pretty gross oversimplification op

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Your family tree is a gross oversimplification.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's not really landlocked, they just aren't allowed to fish in the disputed triangle. But still, lol at getting owned by Somalia.

Platystemon posted:

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Platystemon posted:

nice

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
But enough about (poster's nationality) EEEEYYY

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
How the hell do you lose a territorial dispute against Somalia? Does Somalia even have a governmental entity besides the un-recognized Somaliland capable of contesting territorial disputes? Can Somalia even afford lawyers?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

galagazombie posted:

How the hell do you lose a territorial dispute against Somalia? Does Somalia even have a governmental entity besides the un-recognized Somaliland capable of contesting territorial disputes? Can Somalia even afford lawyers?

yes and yes

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Zedhe Khoja posted:

hmmmm pistachios
Juniper Berries...!

edit:

Orange Devil posted:

To be fair, Danish is more of a disease of the throat.
Post/Avatar combo...
:thunk:

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 17, 2021

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Platystemon posted:

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Sampatrick posted:

yes and yes

Huh, I was under the impression that the internationally recognized government basically didn’t exist outside Mogadishu. I know there’s at least several chunks of the country that are de facto independent states like Somaliland and Puntland.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

galagazombie posted:

Huh, I was under the impression that the internationally recognized government basically didn’t exist outside Mogadishu. I know there’s at least several chunks of the country that are de facto independent states like Somaliland and Puntland.

This is correct, but to negotiate internationally you don't need to control your own country, you just need lawyers. The government is subsidized by other countries so I assume that's where the money comes from.

Somaliland I think has a better claim to being a functioning state than Somalia does but the current international order doesn't recognize them so there's little they can do.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

These are always fun

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

These are always fun

I'm a little disappointed that Russia doesn't stretch out across its whole width the same way Canada does.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

These are always fun

India's really catching up to China isn't it

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
China's birth rate is declining as the standard of living increases. India hasn't hit that point yet.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

China's birth rate is declining as the standard of living increases. India hasn't hit that point yet.

China's birth rate has been stable (and below replacement rate) for almost 30 years. India's has been declining steadily since the 70s, but is still just above replacement rate.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Nigeria is the big sleeper on that map.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Muscle Tracer posted:

I'm a little disappointed that Russia doesn't stretch out across its whole width the same way Canada does.

This is a better way of emphasizing just how much of Russia's population is in its western part.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/wonderingmaps/status/1370618264057905156

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

shameful

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Standard of living and decades of active political "discouragement" from having multiple kids, surely?

That Nigeria graph is scary, especially since I'm assuming Nigeria is becoming less able to support it's population as a result of global warming. That's a large scale conflict/humanitarian catastrophe/exodus waiting to happen, and my guess is that it won't be pretty.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Platystemon posted:

It's going to go past U.S. by 2050, I believe.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Out of curiosity because I noticed California was outlined on that map and the senate was on TV (:argh:), you only need the top ten US states to be over 50% of the population. California, Texas, Florida, NY, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Ohio, Georgia, and NC.

The south is booming, which despite yankee fears is probably a good thing for US politics cuz people in Atlanta aren't voting Trump.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Platystemon posted:

No the big sleeper is Egypt. People never ever ever believe that there are more people in Egypt than Germany or France. Because racism or at least implicit biases.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

No the big sleeper is Egypt. People never ever ever believe that there are more people in Egypt than Germany or France. Because racism or at least implicit biases.
Would you say those people are in denial?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Egypt isn't as skewed, but pretty bad. Especially since the population density is so high, and they are completely dependent on the Nile and by extension so the countries upstream.

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
Skewed? I always thought a pyramid shaped distribution like that is normal and good for your population, because it means the older folks are dying off and being replaced at a normal rate.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

cgfreak posted:

Skewed? I always thought a pyramid shaped distribution like that is normal and good for your population, because it means the older folks are dying off and being replaced at a normal rate.

Look like there has been a little bit of a baby boom in the last 10 years but yeah otherwise that looks like a pretty stable population. I guess if that growth rate looks like it's going to continue it will become unsustainable.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

cgfreak posted:

Those pyramid-looking population pyramid shapes tend to represent growing populations because as health improves and lifespan increase with time, more of each cohort is alive at a given time. Compare to the US, which up until recently was a good example of a relatively stable population:

The demographic transition is likely to kick in at some point and stabilize things (barring catastrophe) but the question is how big will the population be at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Nigeria 54% of the population under 20 though. Aka 108 million children on 200 million population total. That's pretty nuts.