Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Mines coming in the mail because i have had to pay taxes the past two years and have not gotten any refunds. Hooray improperly classified employee status!

You can still add your bank account info and they will direct deposit. I have to pay the IRS every year, but got my stimulus check direct deposit last year.

This year, I'm not sure if I'm getting a check. I got impatient and filed my taxes right before they passed the stimulus, and my income put my just over the $160k cap for married couple. Going off my 2019 taxes I was under. The IRS says I'm getting a payment still, so I'm hoping I didn't gently caress up by filing my 2020 taxes. The plan was to give the money to my MIL anyway. They need it to fix up their house, so it's not liking I'm even keeping the money, but I have family that can put it to good use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

harperdc posted:

corrected that (though I also enjoyed SR3 when it was new)

I’ve been thinking about getting into Yakuza. Where should I start?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

ive just been hanging out in eorzea :unsmith:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

I’ve been thinking about getting into Yakuza. Where should I start?

tl;dr - Yakuza Zero, get it cheap, play until you are introduced to both main characters. Trust me.

Longer answer - if you have PS4/Xbox/PC - Yakuza 0 is probably the high-water mark for the series. It's quintessentially that game - a blend of melodrama in the main story, side-stories that are generally very heartfelt or funny, action that's very good, and main characters that carry it all and fit all those tones. It's also a flashback for characters established later in the series (the main character and one of the recurring side characters) going back to the 1980s in Tokyo, which is a loving mood and awesome for that reason alone.

You level up skills by injecting money. You can throw hours at a whole hostess-focused mini game (have fun looking up who the different hostesses are based off of in real life). It's perfect.

Despite being the sixth game in the main franchise it's still a good jumping-on point, because Sega then brought out the Yakuza re-makes for 1 and 2 (Kiwami 1/2) and 3-4-5 ports. 6 was released after 0 and has a new engine, which is good, but it also means all seven of those games are on PS4 and PC now.

Yakuza 7: Like a Dragon is the only other one I'd recommend but that's if you really really want a turn-based RPG with combat ala Dragon Quest or Persona and are allergic to a beat-em-up for the combat. It came out last year, so it'll be more expensive, and is the first game with a new protagonist. It's on PS4/5, PC and the Xboxes, too.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
"I'm totally going to have the car packed and be on the road by 630 am." - me, a lying liar who didn't even wake up until 730.

gently caress I hope no one gets my camp site before I get there. This is the latest I've ever left for sebring, and due to random poo poo instead of a camp of 6 for this year it's me solo for 5 days.

Oh well

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

iwentdoodie posted:

"I'm totally going to have the car packed and be on the road by 630 am." - me, a lying liar who didn't even wake up until 730.

gently caress I hope no one gets my camp site before I get there. This is the latest I've ever left for sebring, and due to random poo poo instead of a camp of 6 for this year it's me solo for 5 days.

Oh well

Sebring Florida? You and Swick have something to talk about!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

Oh well

I'm super super jealous, haven't gone to a race in a few years. I need to talk my dad into doing the 36 Hours of Florida some year in the future.

may have to go see the Super Taikyu 24 Hours of Fuji this year if COVID (and the weather) allows.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

harperdc posted:

tl;dr - Yakuza Zero, get it cheap, play until you are introduced to both main characters. Trust me.

Longer answer - if you have PS4/Xbox/PC - Yakuza 0 is probably the high-water mark for the series. It's quintessentially that game - a blend of melodrama in the main story, side-stories that are generally very heartfelt or funny, action that's very good, and main characters that carry it all and fit all those tones. It's also a flashback for characters established later in the series (the main character and one of the recurring side characters) going back to the 1980s in Tokyo, which is a loving mood and awesome for that reason alone.

You level up skills by injecting money. You can throw hours at a whole hostess-focused mini game (have fun looking up who the different hostesses are based off of in real life). It's perfect.

Despite being the sixth game in the main franchise it's still a good jumping-on point, because Sega then brought out the Yakuza re-makes for 1 and 2 (Kiwami 1/2) and 3-4-5 ports. 6 was released after 0 and has a new engine, which is good, but it also means all seven of those games are on PS4 and PC now.

Yakuza 7: Like a Dragon is the only other one I'd recommend but that's if you really really want a turn-based RPG with combat ala Dragon Quest or Persona and are allergic to a beat-em-up for the combat. It came out last year, so it'll be more expensive, and is the first game with a new protagonist. It's on PS4/5, PC and the Xboxes, too.

Excellent, thanks for this. I'm on PS4. I tried picking through the Yakuza thread but there's a lot of info and conflicting opinions---figured you could give me the skinny.

ZuluDashOne
May 1, 2020

#NeverForget

Go Wings!

:911:
Stimmy day aw yeah. Fiance got the first round of trump bux but didn't get the 2nd round and according to the IRS she's inelligble for the BidenBux? poo poo makes no sense to me.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Happy Wednesday

https://twitter.com/buitengebieden_/status/1372110191341211648?s=09

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Excellent, thanks for this. I'm on PS4. I tried picking through the Yakuza thread but there's a lot of info and conflicting opinions---figured you could give me the skinny.

Zero works well as a period piece, as an introduction to the characters/universe (you can jump into Kiwami 1 and 2 from there and not "miss" much at all), and has a very good level of refinement on the gameplay directions the RGG team started working towards/adding in Yakuza 4 and 5.

it shouldn't be too expensive now, if you've got time it's a good long game to jump into.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I love birds :unsmith:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Just got out of a long work meeting. Sounds like we're moving to a long-term WFH/Office hybrid in a couple of months.

So I'll probably get to do 3 days at the office, 2 days at home. Honestly, not too bad. A year ago the owner bristled at the thought of WFH, so the fact that we're even getting this hybrid situation is pretty dope.

Glad I'll get 2 extra days at home per week to be with my baby :)

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Weird question y'all. Do any of you drive a Toyota Tacoma? If you do if you were about a car length behind a medium SUV would you expect to be able to see past it and also be able to see a small sedan about a car length or two ahead of that SUV? Everyone's in the same lane.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

FizFashizzle posted:

ive just been hanging out in eorzea :unsmith:

I'm doing in an game concert this Sunday night!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Eifert Posting posted:

Weird question y'all. Do any of you drive a Toyota Tacoma? If you do if you were about a car length behind a medium SUV would you expect to be able to see past it and also be able to see a small sedan about a car length or two ahead of that SUV? Everyone's in the same lane.

Yes, and it just depends on the SUV I guess. Usually I can see cars in front unless it's a big truck or something like that.

In other news we just found out that our daughter was in contact with someone who has COVID, so we need to quarantine until the 30th. Hopefully nothing happens at all, but I'm wondering how well one dose of the Pfizer vaccine works if it does.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Eifert Posting posted:

Uh oh, hope your accident wasn't in a contributory negligence state

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Silly Burrito posted:

In other news we just found out that our daughter was in contact with someone who has COVID, so we need to quarantine until the 30th. Hopefully nothing happens at all, but I'm wondering how well one dose of the Pfizer vaccine works if it does.

Big picture, immune systems are really complex and not intuitive. We hear "these vaccines are amazing, here is a high percentage efficacy!" and not a lot about what operates under the hood. Here's an excellent article around this idea. The question shouldn't be "can I get COVID a few days after receiving one dose?" but "when does the vaccine start protecting against the really serious side effects of COVID?" That answer... no loving idea!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Eifert Posting posted:

Yeah I do—a 2016 double cab SR5, bone stock.

I think so even at stock height I can see pretty well but it’s hard to say because even medium SUVs are pretty bloated.

I’m 6’3 though so your visibility might be different. Depends on what kind of SUV too.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

shirts and skins posted:

Uh oh, hope your accident wasn't in a contributory negligence state

I work claims. I'm just trying to suss out whether a witness is credible.

It's probably going to come down to the point of impact photos, it should be pretty easy to tell who's right once we see those.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Coco13 posted:

The question shouldn't be "can I get COVID a few days after receiving one dose?" but "when does the vaccine start protecting against the really serious side effects of COVID?" That answer... no loving idea!

Thanks for the reassuring words. Is this because of the Badger joke last night? ;)

Just kidding, seriously thanks. There is a ton we just don't know. We'll just try to do the best we can to limit any exposure at all.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/HayesBrown/status/1372203722659528709

Seriously gently caress this guy. The not racist stuff is absolute bullshit though

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Every time someone tries to claim “sex addiction” I want to drag them out into the street and beat them with a garden hose. There are absolutely instances of people compulsively engaging in risky behaviors (including sex), and spoiler alert none of these guys blaming women for their actions have ever had any such issues.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Thaddius the Large posted:

Every time someone tries to claim “sex addiction” I want to drag them out into the street and beat them with a garden hose. There are absolutely instances of people compulsively engaging in risky behaviors (including sex), and spoiler alert none of these guys blaming women for their actions have ever had any such issues.

they're just latching on to that sweet sweet addict sympathy and thinking it's a shield.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

I've had plenty of bad days, never murdered anyone

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
https://twitter.com/capitalweather/status/1372225058651959301?s=19

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Storm chasing down there is awful. So many trees and hills and valleys. If it's on the ground it's more than likely only going to be seen on radar. If you live there, pay attention and do what you are suppose to do. Stay safe.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Weird how we keep having all these once every several hundred years weather events multiple times a year lately

Well probably nothing to it

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
You guys remember the dipshit chud congressman from like Oklahoma who brought a snowball to the chambers one day and was like "Global warming? What global warming?"

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Nick Jr. Face posted:

You guys remember the dipshit chud congressman from like Oklahoma who brought a snowball to the chambers one day and was like "Global warming? What global warming?"

That was Sen. Inhofe, and gently caress that guy.

Intruder posted:

Weird how we keep having all these once every several hundred years weather events multiple times a year lately

Well probably nothing to it

In particular, I read recently that it appears that climate change is causing severe tornado activity to migrate from the plains to the Deep South. gently caress tornadoes man, just about the scariest natural disasters I can imagine.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/thesteinline/status/1372247775501561856?s=21

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Siiiick

https://twitter.com/JoeOtterson/status/1372242829418856449?s=19

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

YES

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Guze posted:

I've had plenty of bad days, never murdered anyone

going on a racist mysognist killing spree because, I'm like, not feeling very centered today?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Givens is transported across space and time, Cobb Vanth just an alias

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
:smith:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

I work claims. I'm just trying to suss out whether a witness is credible.

It's probably going to come down to the point of impact photos, it should be pretty easy to tell who's right once we see those.

Trying to avoid accident re-creation expenses? :v:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

How in the world does someone not notice Shawn Bradley riding a bike?

This is not the important thing of course, but, like, that's a whole hell of a lot of not being aware of things around you while driving.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 17, 2021

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Looking forward to seeing how they get Walton Goggins back to mugging for the camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

harperdc posted:

I'm super super jealous, haven't gone to a race in a few years. I need to talk my dad into doing the 36 Hours of Florida some year in the future.

may have to go see the Super Taikyu 24 Hours of Fuji this year if COVID (and the weather) allows.

Do it!

I'm solo this year sadly. Wife has school and work, buddy and his girlfriend that normally come can't cause he got his toe lopped off like 2 days ago.

Still worth it. Just means now I set up shop in essentially one corner and ride or die that spot.