Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
You don't even need to abandon your deserted island start if you don't want to, because you can bring the mats back.

Edit: Also give us that seed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

ghostinmyshell posted:

I might have missed this in a tutorial, but is there a way to get stuff like scraps and flint if you are stuck on a deserted island with no Meadows biome?

You could kill yourself and contact the Body Recovery Service, they'd probably build a boat to come get the body. Unless you mean your initial spawn was there?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tell us what the seed is because I wanna see this.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Our seed seems to have a lot of water and islands so I've been sailing between them and building a small house with bed and supplies to build a raft in case I die sailing to the next location. The current island I'm on is Mistlands/Plains and the initial landing spot was thwarted by a deathsqeeto which blew up my raft, but I was able to get away and build a small house/bed and survive for now. I was hoping you could break down items or something in game.

I'll start on a new world and bring the mats back over I need for now. Thanks!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can break down most stuff by middle clicking an object with your hammer out.

Boats and carts can't be deconstructed though (but you can do it anyways if you chop them up with weapons).

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I wish I had the gumption to build an upside down pyramid balanced in a single iron wood beam

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

ghostinmyshell posted:

Our seed seems to have a lot of water and islands so I've been sailing between them and building a small house with bed and supplies to build a raft in case I die sailing to the next location. The current island I'm on is Mistlands/Plains and the initial landing spot was thwarted by a deathsqeeto which blew up my raft, but I was able to get away and build a small house/bed and survive for now. I was hoping you could break down items or something in game.

It's difficult to get into a no-win situation in this game but that's one of the ways. What you just said is the solution, though. I did something similar early on and I had a friend hop on, make a quick raft, and come get me :)

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Is it terrible of me that I made a "cloud storage" map specifically for the purpose of transporting ores back to my base?

My initial island is huge and I didn't feel like relocating anywhere and carts with 4000lbs of ore in them basically don't move well, so I started to get lazy around the time I was mining scrap iron out of the crypts. I figured five cart loads of copper and tin to make more bronze than I'd ever need to have each taking a full day to move up the hill carved out with switchbacks was enough.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i think you're bypassing a pretty enjoyable gameplay loop but you play how you want to play

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's cheating, which means you're going to gamer Hell when you die in real life. Hope you're happy with trying to enjoy yourself the way you wanted to.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

ghostinmyshell posted:

If worse comes to worse you can always break your bed and kill yourself, as was mentioned above. But yeah, bringing supplies over from that new world is probably a lot more sane.

As someone who did a lot of early game raft sailing looking for chitin and serpents to fight, though, do yourself a favour and get yourself a karve.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
wooooo! my bronze shield is strong enough to block a troll with a tree, i'm unstoppable!

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

If worse comes to worse you can always break your bed and kill yourself, as was mentioned above. But yeah, bringing supplies over from that new world is probably a lot more sane.

As someone who did a lot of early game raft sailing looking for chitin and serpents to fight, though, do yourself a favour and get yourself a karve.

There's a /resetspawn command you can use instead of breaking your bed. Had to use it when I set my spawn to the middle of a mountain and forgot to refill the chest with frost resistance potions.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Khanstant posted:

That's cheating, which means you're going to gamer Hell when you die in real life. Hope you're happy with trying to enjoy yourself the way you wanted to.

It's fine, Valheim is already kind of a viking hell. Your character died and Odin was all "uh yeah you don't get to go to valhalla bro, you gotta janitor these assholes in this other realm first. Better finish up before you miss ragnarok!!"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

DelphiAegis posted:

Is it terrible of me that I made a "cloud storage" map specifically for the purpose of transporting ores back to my base?

My initial island is huge and I didn't feel like relocating anywhere and carts with 4000lbs of ore in them basically don't move well, so I started to get lazy around the time I was mining scrap iron out of the crypts. I figured five cart loads of copper and tin to make more bronze than I'd ever need to have each taking a full day to move up the hill carved out with switchbacks was enough.

You cheated not only the game, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that you don't know the difference.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

You cheated not only the game, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that you don't know the difference.

Christ I know this is a shitpost but that cuts deep, man. :(

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ghostinmyshell posted:

There is also a reset spawn command I think, which I'm guessing restores your respawn point to the initial summoning stones. Should stop you from getting spawn killed over and over.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

DelphiAegis posted:

With how much iron is used post swamps: no.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
They really just should have added iron veins, at a lower spawn rate, to the mountains. Players would still need to go through the swamp to acquire great quantities and to get the wishbone but making people go back to the swamp is kind of a bummer, especially when the quantity of iron is fully dependent on the number of crypts and their contents, both subject to wild swings of RNG.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, or even limit them to right around Plains/Mountain borders, make it nice and dangerous, but accessible where you need it.

DelphiAegis posted:

Ultimately you should do you, but also you should just engage with sailing your longship out to find iron and haul it back.

It's also a good way to run into tasty tasty sea serpents.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

It's not as spectacular as that floating wood tower, but I'm still pretty proud of the lighthouse I've build for my server's main base.
Last week:

From last night:

The channel running between the stone spires connects the ocean to a lake where we're building our endgame plains base.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Once I moved on to grand construction projects I started fudging some of the mining requirements and just cloud hopping. Especially Iron for Iron Beams.

Still ethically sourcing and locally producing and consuming ore for gear and workflow upgrades.

But gently caress Iron for Beams, should just allow them to be made with Iron Nails so that you can carry that poo poo through portals.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

punishedkissinger posted:

with reinforced iron beams you can make pretty much anything you can dream. Definitely going to build a large stone tower with other towers hanging off of it. so cool.

man I was feeling silly bringing over a longship worth of iron but am definitely gonna do something like this

I'm also specifically clearing out fir from the black forest and leaving pine alone so that I can make connected tree areas. I think my one gripe so far is that core wood really doesn't serve enough purpose, so pines are best left standing

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
i need more rocks

all the nearby plains rock spires have been knocked down already

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

portals my man, portals

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

DelphiAegis posted:

I do this. My pocket dimension has all the resources to repair my gear, stored food, meads, build portals, and storage so I can dump my hauls and jump back into my 'real' world. Then I transfer what I need when I get back to a base.

I am a sinner who does not deserve Valhalla.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

portals my man, portals

oh i am using portals for sure, nearby includes all the plains that have as of yet been discovered via boat rides so far, linked back to by ports... i can feel another expedition coming on

for rocks

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

DelphiAegis posted:

Christ I know this is a shitpost but that cuts deep, man. :(

It's hard to believe this copypasta isn't even two years old yet.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Protagonist posted:

oh i am using portals for sure, nearby includes all the plains that have as of yet been discovered via boat rides so far, linked back to by ports... i can feel another expedition coming on

for rocks

Portals to the black forest for rocks are the best, there's a TON of huge boulders in there that are just doing their damndest to look like copper veins

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Trip report from trying out two handed weapons: Muscle memory is a bitch and trying to block a two-star goblin with a long stick worked about as well as you'd expect.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Those are some cool mountain bases nice work

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Azhais posted:

Portals to the black forest for rocks are the best, there's a TON of huge boulders in there that are just doing their damndest to look like copper veins

i would be inclined to agree with you, but those are prole rocks that you have to mine all of to get all the rocks

im about thos king rocks now what mostly mine theyselves

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

how does Odin feel about us focusing on architecture instead of glorious battle?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

how does Odin feel about us focusing on architecture instead of glorious battle?

We are fighting the honorable battle against gravity and stability.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The battle against entropygreydwarves is an eternal battle

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You are killing rocks and piling them up to exalt the gods, he should be quite happy with it.

Like the dude lives in a giant mead hall across a bridge made out of rainbows if he doesn't like arhictecture he's huffing his own farts.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I've got a wolf chest, I've got frost resistance mead active, yet when I portal to a mountain I'm freezing. How?

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I've got a wolf chest, I've got frost resistance mead active, yet when I portal to a mountain I'm freezing. How?

Is it raining on the other side of the portal? If you have the wet status it prevents frost resistance from activating.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Meiteron posted:

Is it raining on the other side of the portal? If you have the wet status it prevents frost resistance from activating.

It was raining at my base portal, but I was sheltered and next to a fire so didn't have the wet debuff. Maybe it removes the shelter/fire before porting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

tbh they really could use a high level portal that can transport ore, or maybe even just the refined ingots. going sailing is fun af but it does get tedious. being able to set up a network of 2-3 bases with smelting capacity, and then 1 with the high level forge seems like a good compromise that might lessen the urge to just use the trick of server hopping.