Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

lmao are they really banning the use of "concentration camp" in d&d to describe the border concentration camps? incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Serf posted:

lmao are they really banning the use of "concentration camp" in d&d to describe the border concentration camps? incredible

yep lol it's too inflammatory and makes people sad to read

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
they didn't ban it

they're just probating anyone using the term

completely different, and it's frankly unsurprising that neither of you can understand the nuance

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Just have to be creative about it

Cuz, you know, posting requires a lot of concentration. Camp is a key feature of 80s films and I wish they'd bring it back in reboots of such old fare

Baykin
Feb 11, 2008
Are there any good recommended leftist sources for current event news from China as well as any possible recommendations for leftist breakdowns of Chinese history? The last few years have been a real big eye opener on just how deeply I've been submerged in western imperialist news about basically everything, and I'd like to remedy this.

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

Baykin posted:

Are there any good recommended leftist sources for current event news from China as well as any possible recommendations for leftist breakdowns of Chinese history? The last few years have been a real big eye opener on just how deeply I've been submerged in western imperialist news about basically everything, and I'd like to remedy this.

Not strictly a news outfit, but these folks are good: https://www.qiaocollective.com/

History-wise, they did this video series with the PSL: https://liberationschool.org/china-class-2020/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwHl3HvhTK4

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
very happy to see former forums poster typo got a job writing for qiao collective

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Serf posted:

anything that might promote critical thinking is dangerous

last year they were concentration camps but this year they are detainment facilities

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Serf posted:

Are they really doing this?

Edit: I don't doubt, just asking because I mainly stick to a few threads and don't browse much.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

exmarx posted:

the gbs china thread is shockingly racist

probably not as bad as that India thread they used to have

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Greg Legg posted:

Are they really doing this?

Edit: I don't doubt, just asking because I mainly stick to a few threads and don't browse much.

quote:

In order to try to end this pointless slapfighting and encourage people to stick to the debate at hand instead of trying to claim victory on some syntax technicality, we petty tyrants with our mod buttons of oppression would prefer you use your choice of any other series of words in the vast english language to describe them.
Ralph and I, for example, support use of the term Internment Camps.
They're still terrible, but they're also easier to automatically associate with America since the same way Concentration makes you think of Nazi Germany, Internment is more likely to make you think of what the US did to the japanese and is an easier parallel to draw with what's happening to the refugees at the border now.

Reading about concentration camps makes me think of Nazi Germany, bad guys, while we are the USA, good guys, so they can't be concentration camps. My brain is very smooth.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
In order to try to end this pointless slapfighting and encourage people to stick to the debate at hand instead of trying to claim victory on some syntax technicality, we petty tyrants with our mod buttons of oppression would prefer you use your choice of any other series of words in the vast english language to describe them.
The CIA and I, for example, support use of the term Enhanced Interrogation.
It's still terrible, but it's also easier to automatically associate with America since the same way 'torture' makes you think of Nazi Germany, Enhanced Interrogation is more likely to make you think of what the Jack Bauer did to the terrorists and is an easier parallel to draw with what's happening to the criminals in guantanamo now.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Raine posted:

anything that might promote critical thinking is dangerous

last year they were concentration camps but this year they are detainment facilities

blue maga lol

Junkozeyne posted:

Reading about concentration camps makes me think of Nazi Germany, bad guys, while we are the USA, good guys, so they can't be concentration camps. My brain is very smooth.

the japanese were also put into concentration camps. we just call them internment camps to make ourselves feel better than the nazis (pls don't ask which country they got all their eugenics poo poo from)

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Varinn posted:

It's still terrible, but it's also easier to automatically associate with America since the same way 'torture' makes you think of Nazi Germany, Enhanced Interrogation is more likely to make you think of what the Jack Bauer did to the terrorists and is an easier parallel to draw with what's happening to the criminals in guantanamo now.

The Biden Camps are Good [attachment:lyndie england.jpg]

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Varinn posted:

After getting probed for hoping that CIA agents suffer from COVID overseas IN MINECRAFT, I see the error of my ways and now also stan the CIA.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lmao Vaush is currently battling Luna Oi over if Vietnam is actually communist or not.

https://twitter.com/EmericanJohnson/status/1369622695160078339

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

do you reckon vaush has ever, like, read a book

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

V. Illych L. posted:

absolutely not

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
as someone who is generally against prison and restriction of speech, put vaush on the first train to the Alaskan gulag

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
i sincerely do not understand how an alleged human being can take one look at vaush or listen to just seconds of him speak and not be immediately and viscerally repelled

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i keep reading it as vache, im glad i don't know who that is anyway

Serf
May 5, 2011

tacoma wept

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Dreylad posted:

i keep reading it as vache, im glad i don't know who that is anyway

lmao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Flavius Aetass posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lmao

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/vaushv/status/1294336318269358080?lang=en

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Phone posted:

they didn't ban it

they're just probating anyone using the term

completely different, and it's frankly unsurprising that neither of you can understand the nuance

I didn’t even use the term and got probed for the first time in my 18 years on this stupid website thanks to Biden’s concentration camps. You’re straight up not allowed to disagree with the posters there or call them out on any kind of bad behavior they accuse everyone but themselves of.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i feel embarrassed to even say this and am willing to submit to any humiliation or punishment required, but i joined some left-wing discord server (i said it was embarrassing) and got a random PM from some guy who was like "hey, go into this server [this vaush guy] and ask them that you want X to debate him." and i said what, no, if he wants to debate the guy on his stream, he can ask him himself.

and this guy said "no no no, it has be a crowd that demands it, that's how it works." so i left that server and don't go to those places anymore and learned that whole environment is completely pointless and everyone who participates in it should be thrown into a prison including myself

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

indigi posted:

as someone who is generally against prison and restriction of speech, put vaush on the first train to the Alaskan gulag

the Vaush guy systematically picks some of the worst battles to fight, jfc

why the gently caress a lot of these types have obscenely idiotic class discipline? wanna annoy somebody, pick some chud or liberal to poke, why the hell doing an "actually..." on a fellow leftist who is a Vietnamese woman about Vietnam would be considered a good idea?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i, too am a member of a leftie discord server, though admittedly it is directly affiliated with my political party and so maybe less cringe??? idk how these things work

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I do not consent to see Vaush's face.

dead gay comedy forums posted:

why the gently caress a lot of these types have obscenely idiotic class discipline? wanna annoy somebody, pick some chud or liberal to poke, why the hell doing an "actually..." on a fellow leftist who is a Vietnamese woman about Vietnam would be considered a good idea?
Because they're self-aggrandizing careerists. The main other crowd that does this poo poo is people with postgraduate education trying to land gigs.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

not surprising for a guy who'd vomit out racist slurs. it gets attention and they're in it to make money, and they're rewarded

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

The State & The Resolution lmao

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Vaush's job is to make actual leftistism look foolish and unachievable to his childlike followers by empty appeals to authority (Marx and Lenin mostly) so that they will happily turn out to vote for Democrats

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

John Charity Spring posted:

The State & The Resolution lmao

or, Why My New 4K Monitor is Good for Communism

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

I didn’t even use the term and got probed for the first time in my 18 years on this stupid website thanks to Biden’s concentration camps. You’re straight up not allowed to disagree with the posters there or call them out on any kind of bad behavior they accuse everyone but themselves of.

the grey forums are as a rule a terrible place to exist and is why I stick to the pink forum where joy is allowed. there are sitting us congress people who call them concentration camps which imo qualifies it as a mainstream and not at all fringe position to be putting forward even for liberals but the mods do not want any actual debate or discussion to happen in the debate and discussion forum. even in this the fyad-lite joke politics forum the mods are ridiculous and heavy handed and dont take any input from the community so i shant be posting here much if at all anymore. free larry, they all act like i and others are saying how dare you punish him but its the ban specifically, hes poor as poo poo and will never pay to be unbanned, dont know about the other couple people. if it was for a week or even the month thats still unfair imo but they will come back eventually but now theyre just gone. the whole forum is like this where every sub and even thread becomes its own clique or echo chamber so theres no sense of community left and people are just very quick to remove people forever at the slightest provocation and often just because a mod is pissed and doesnt like them.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

apropos to nothing posted:

the grey forums are as a rule a terrible place to exist and is why I stick to the pink forum where joy is allowed. there are sitting us congress people who call them concentration camps which imo qualifies it as a mainstream and not at all fringe position to be putting forward even for liberals but the mods do not want any actual debate or discussion to happen in the debate and discussion forum. even in this the fyad-lite joke politics forum the mods are ridiculous and heavy handed and dont take any input from the community so i shant be posting here much if at all anymore. free larry, they all act like i and others are saying how dare you punish him but its the ban specifically, hes poor as poo poo and will never pay to be unbanned, dont know about the other couple people. if it was for a week or even the month thats still unfair imo but they will come back eventually but now theyre just gone. the whole forum is like this where every sub and even thread becomes its own clique or echo chamber so theres no sense of community left and people are just very quick to remove people forever at the slightest provocation and often just because a mod is pissed and doesnt like them.

Our mods are actually cream of the crop.

They were handpicked from the pool of people who like to type "turmpf" every minute of every day in the trump thread.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
They are so angry at Glenn Greenwald every single second of their miserable lives.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

greenwald is trash but the reason his rancid takes get trotted out is 100% to take pot shots at anyone vaguely leftist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Varinn posted:

this is basically just the nazi petroleum radio line