Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Fame Douglas posted:

Counterpoint: It's perfect, there's a reason I color-calibrated my screens, and it's because I don't want to look at everything through a pee filter. Might as well start wearing Gunnar gaming glasses.

As someone who did a lot of color correction for short films, I used f.lux then and guess what? When I wanted to do something that relied on color accuracy? I turned it off! Can you believe that poo poo?

Not caring about eye strain doesn't make you seem tough or smart, it just makes you look like a doofus lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The whole blue light thing is internet bullshit invented by hippies that have stupid weak eyeballs. Science says it does nothing but hey, turn your piss filter on all you want!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
On a similar note: am I the only person who can't use dark theme/mode without getting terrible persistence of vision effects?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Pablo Bluth posted:

On a similar note: am I the only person who can't use dark theme/mode without getting terrible persistence of vision effects?

It's because 99.9% of all dark mode is poo poo. And the 0.1% where it isn't terrible has it as the default and the tacked on light mode is poo poo.

If you think you need dark mode, set your monitor to be less bright.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Geemer posted:

It's because 99.9% of all dark mode is poo poo. And the 0.1% where it isn't terrible has it as the default and the tacked on light mode is poo poo.

If you think you need dark mode, set your monitor to be less bright.

:wrong:
All dark modes are great, light mode is haram in all cases.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Pablo Bluth posted:

I can't say that I can relate. I usually default to dark modes for ui. For reading, I prefer black on white (except on mobile), unless it's really dark.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

We defaulted to black text on white backgrounds because of paper, and it took way too long to realise that light text on dark backgrounds is super cool.

A few people react badly to dark mode and need a light mode for accessibility, plus there are times when I prefer light over dark, but people definitely seem to prefer dark mode on aggregate.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Fame Douglas posted:

:wrong:
All dark modes are great, light mode is haram in all cases.

Not emptyquoting this

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

We defaulted to black text on white backgrounds because of paper

bullshit, are you forgetting that screens displaying light text on dark were the only choice for like 15-20 years before monitors that could imitate paper existed?

Dark text on light background became the default because most people using computers worked in well-lit offices. Ambient light conditions have more influence on which one is usable more than anything else. If you really like dark mode, you're also probably cutting down on light in your vicinity with curtains or whatever (or being the guy who puts a tent over their cubicle).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Klyith posted:

bullshit, are you forgetting that screens displaying light text on dark were the only choice for like 15-20 years before monitors that could imitate paper existed?

Jeez we've come a long way in monitor tech.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Klyith posted:

Well, and then wysiwyg became a thing, desktop publishing, home inkjet printers

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Just thought I'd mention, there's some pretty handy stuff in PowerToys

Wish I'd heard of the keyboard manager earlier

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If someone makes an absurd virtue out of not liking a thing you like, you can ignore their dumb opinion.

Re light mode/dark mode, you used to just be able to pick every UI element color in Windows and they'd just work universally. Now we're waiting on MS to do things like let you choose a titlebar color other than blinding white, or toggling between a horrible white theme and a horrible dark theme, both of which are applied inconsistently throughout the OS and applications. Windows' visuals were never great, but now they are terrible.

I used to fiddle around with this thing back in the day to get the effects I liked, and it worked up through Windows 7: https://3dcc.jote.eu/

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

redeyes posted:

The whole blue light thing is internet bullshit invented by hippies that have stupid weak eyeballs. Science says it does nothing but hey, turn your piss filter on all you want!

Nice handle/post combo.

And there is some research supporting blue light at night disrupting circadian rhythm stuff, but the added benefit of not scorching my retinas is nice.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

doctorfrog posted:

Now we're waiting on MS to do things like let you choose a titlebar color other than blinding white[/url]

You can already do that: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/32118-how-change-color-inactive-title-bar-windows-10-a.html

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

neat

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Yeah, this is huge... if I don’t do this, parts of inactive windows don’t show up at all on Remote Desktop software for work. This changed that

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Nice handle/post combo.

And there is some research supporting blue light at night disrupting circadian rhythm stuff, but the added benefit of not scorching my retinas is nice.

I have no evidence for this other than my own cynicism, but I'd bet someone else's money that
a) blue light does disrupt circadian rhythms
b) so does just looking at a screen
c) the only real way to fix it is to have less screen time
d) the apps and glasses and stuff are just ways to keep people using screens
e) other cigarettes cause cancer. Lucky Strikes are toasted

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Based on my experiences, it absolutely does help with falling asleep.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's internet bullshit, but I've also never had any trouble falling asleep and am in front of screens constantly. If you think it helps, use your virtual rose quartz.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I have a laptop in my room that mostly sits on the bedside table. If I wake up in the middle of the night and can't sleep, I'll put on quiet music or a boring podcast. Maximum blue light filter definitely makes it easier to fall asleep again, but that might also be because the blue light filter is effectively reducing screen brightness in general.

Fame Douglas posted:

I think it's internet bullshit, but I've also never had any trouble falling asleep and am in front of screens constantly.

you should get that checked out, narcolepsy can be a sign of more serious conditions

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I used to believe in the blue light thing but I saw some research that suggests it's a bunch of nonsense and honestly I kinda believe it. I've been not using night light in Windows for a bit now and if anything, I feel like I'm naturally going to bed earlier than when I was. My eyes are maybe a little more tired in the night, but that's it. If there's any effect at all, it's got to do with reducing overall brightness, not screwing with the color temperature.

e: Still leaving it on for my phone since it murders my eyes less if I have to use it in the middle of the night for whatever reason.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I don't know about research, but for me the difference is self evident. Without blue light reduction, the image is much harsher on the eyes.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Klyith posted:

Hey, it only took you 2 minutes to poke a button that you didn't know what it did and mess up your system. Super easy! ;)

That it was!

And thanks for those suggestions but they didn't work, I've even went for a much more drastic approach trying to reset GPO by renaming the folder "Machine" to "Machine.old" that's located at; "C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy\Machine" and following that up with "gpupdate /force", but the two warnings still persisted on reboots. So something got saved in the registry somewhere and I don't know what. I did see this Random Blog that suggests deleting these registry keys, but I'm too pussy to try that, and that would also wipe all my other settings too, ugh.

But I did fix this (I think), I told GroupPolicy that I am the GroupPolicy, and just did his job for him, I looked up what those App-V and UEV settings were, and just made the keys myself... Only a single reboot since, but it didn't give me any warning this time and said all was good.

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 17, 2021

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Rinkles posted:

I don't know about research, but for me the difference is self evident. Without blue light reduction, the image is much harsher on the eyes.

Yup. It's great that people that like it can do so, and those who don't, don't need to. what a world.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Eyestrain is also caused by a much brighter object (your screen) being present in an otherwise darkened field of view. f.lux helps by dimming the whites/blues which reduces this problem considerably.
You can also backlight your screen which helps a lot with the issue. Backlighting is done a lot in home theatre setups because it stops your eyes adjusting so much to a dark room, making blacks appear blacker on a non-oled screen. The same process also reduces eye strain if you just light the area behind your monitor.

Anyone calling it a pee filter hasn't actually used one long enough to evaluate it, since your eyes correct for the colour balance shift so whites still seem white. f.lux will also gradually shift from one state to another, hiding the colour shift from your vision system. I mostly don't even realise it's turned on, and if a fullscreen app triggers it off and I tab back to a white screen, its painfully white and blue in comparison.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I feel like the real problem with eye strain here is people sitting in the dark. I get having a night mode on your phone that you might glance at in bed but when you're at your computer why not just have the lights on? sitting in the dark is so gloomy. I never watch TV or use my computer in the dark; and I've never had an issue with eye strain despite spending most of my spare time in front of a screen and basically being nocturnal.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Im_Special posted:

That it was!

And thanks for those suggestions but they didn't work, I've even went for a much more drastic approach trying to reset GPO by renaming the folder "Machine" to "Machine.old" that's located at; "C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy\Machine" and following that up with "gpupdate /force", but the two warnings still persisted on reboots. So something got saved in the registry somewhere and I don't know what. I did see this Random Blog that suggests deleting these registry keys, but I'm too pussy to try that, and that would also wipe all my other settings too, ugh.

But I did fix this (I think), I told GroupPolicy that I am the GroupPolicy, and just did his job for him, I looked up what those App-V and UEV settings were, and just made the keys myself... Only a single reboot since, but it didn't give me any warning this time and said all was good.

goddamn nice :golfclap:

(Now I want to find a devious way to trick you into causing the UWP 0x80070057 & 0x80073CF9 errors, so you can figure out how to fix them. God knows I can't figure that poo poo out. But I'm just as ignorant of how they happen in the first place!)

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

I feel like the real problem with eye strain here is people sitting in the dark. I get having a night mode on your phone that you might glance at in bed but when you're at your computer why not just have the lights on? sitting in the dark is so gloomy. I never watch TV or use my computer in the dark; and I've never had an issue with eye strain despite spending most of my spare time in front of a screen and basically being nocturnal.

Lighting up the whole room will take care of eye strain but it sure won't help sleep rhythms.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Dylan16807 posted:

Lighting up the whole room will take care of eye strain but it sure won't help sleep rhythms.

My sleep rhythm is perfectly fine. I go to bed every morning at around 3am to 4am and I get up around 12pm to 12:30pm.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

Even if you light up the whole room, the walls behind your computer screen are still going to be pretty dim. Try taking a photo of your screen in a room with the lights on and you'll see how much more overexposed the screen is. Do it in a room that's bathed in sunlight and it's probably pretty dim. Most people by now have grown to hate the 100W overhead lighting aesthetic, so the lamps or such you're lighting the room with are even dimmer.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Khablam posted:

Even if you light up the whole room, the walls behind your computer screen are still going to be pretty dim. Try taking a photo of your screen in a room with the lights on and you'll see how much more overexposed the screen is. Do it in a room that's bathed in sunlight and it's probably pretty dim. Most people by now have grown to hate the 100W overhead lighting aesthetic, so the lamps or such you're lighting the room with are even dimmer.

My room is lit with 5x 1400 lumen neutral white led bulbs in a hanging fixture in the centre of the room. I hate dim lighting.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It's good to know my parents' 90s living room is alive in spirit somewhere.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
Is there a way to make an image of my C: in Windows 10 without having to disconnect it and connect it to another computer?

I had a scare the other day where my Windows 10 desktop refused to boot from the 2.5" sata SSD. I was able to get it going after 3 or 4 reboots but it's making me want to create an image of the C: in case it ever does crap itself in the future.

I have an extremely intricate setup, and it would take me the better part of year if I ever had to set it up from scratch again, so I would like it to be an image I could just write to a new, identically-sized hard drive to get me going again. I know this is incredibly easy with stuff like HDD Raw copy, but the issue is I really can't disconnect this hard drive. For one, leaving it disconnected for 1+ days to make an HDD copy would mean no TV, no show recordings, no security camera, etc. I know, not the end of the world, but when you have young kids, well, you know the rest. Also, the bigger issue is that I only have this computer, so I would have no way to do an image on another computer anyway.

TL;DR is there any way to image this drive while it's literally being used in Windows?

frh fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 18, 2021

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah, Maximum Reflect can do that.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

GreenNight posted:

Yeah, Maximum Reflect can do that.

and here I was thinking I was crazy for even dreaming it up. thank you!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Just to sidestep the typo there, you want Macrium Reflect. The free edition is fine for making an image or imaging one disk to another and it runs in windows and gets everything on the current drive. The old boot disc to image everything still has its uses but I'll be damned if I can remember the last time I needed to do it vs. macrium.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Rexxed posted:

Just to sidestep the typo there, you want Macrium Reflect. The free edition is fine for making an image or imaging one disk to another and it runs in windows and gets everything on the current drive. The old boot disc to image everything still has its uses but I'll be damned if I can remember the last time I needed to do it vs. macrium.

Thanks for that! downloading the free version now (hopefully it does what I want, even though it's installed on the C:).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

Thanks for that! downloading the free version now (hopefully it does what I want, even though it's installed on the C:).

Yeah you can image the drive it's running from. I think it makes use of the volume shadow copy stuff windows has been able to do since Win7 (or maybe vista but I never used it) that allows it to copy in use files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Rexxed posted:

Yeah you can image the drive it's running from. I think it makes use of the volume shadow copy stuff windows has been able to do since Win7 (or maybe vista but I never used it) that allows it to copy in use files.

hm, volume shadow copy has been around for longer than that, but now you've got me curious

edit: ok, it was first implemented in XP, which is what I would have guessed, but I thought it might have been older