Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zealouscub
Feb 18, 2020
The concept art, impractical as the lack of sight is, is actually pretty cool, kind wish they had instead of the skull face/stormtrooper look.

zealouscub fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I am caught up again :toot: Looking forward to the next updates.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
I played this game before the first one, so the graveyard didn't bother me much - until I saw how it looked in first game, and realised just how utterly the Mistletoe Curse obliterated it. :stonk:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Lunar Suite posted:

I played this game before the first one, so the graveyard didn't bother me much - until I saw how it looked in first game, and realised just how utterly the Mistletoe Curse obliterated it. :stonk:

Yeah, it is a little disturbing to know that Yuri’s soul being a twisted graveyard where demons repeatedly tried to devour his humanity was a far more healthy state for him than the void he has now.

FalloutFan56
Jan 3, 2020

Geostomp posted:

Yeah, it is a little disturbing to know that Yuri’s soul being a twisted graveyard where demons repeatedly tried to devour his humanity was a far more healthy state for him than the void he has now.

To be fair, the demons were punchable so Yuri could handle that. Having something he can't punch messes with him way more.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

FalloutFan56 posted:

To be fair, the demons were punchable so Yuri could handle that. Having something he can't punch messes with him way more.

I mean, it's a JRPG, it's not like he can't punch the concept of oblivion in the face. The question is if he will be able to.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode CIX: Kick Based Guilt Trip

Music: Serious Mood ~ Unrest

So a fortune teller, a pro-wrestler, a German officer, a hobo, a pervert, a Russian princess, and a samurai walk into a bar...

So you've finally come...
You're Ishimura, the Foreign Minister?
<nods> I am he.

I've wanted to meet you.
You could have just made an appointment. I am here all day.
I didn't know you were behind all this crap until now.
You're here about Japanese government interference in foreign affairs, correct?
...And your point?
I am the Foreign Affairs Minister of Japan. It's a public record.
Oh umm... hmph... I... just had to confirm a few more things first, is all.

You're Hyuga's son, aren't you?
Yeah.
And who has hired you to kill me? Russia? China?
The Germans? America? Those blasted Canadians?
Nobody.

Then why is it... <coughs> ...that you seek to take my life?
Cause you're nothing but a murdering son of a bitch.
<coughs> Hmph. Nonsense...
You're planning to use Nicolai to set off a war in Russia, aren't you?!
Technically, there already is a war in Russia. We were attempting to install a puppet leader with malleable interests in the favor of Japan. The unpopularity of the current Emperor and his regime has nothing to do with us.
Hey! Citation needed!
But, close enough...

<nods> To protect Japan from the West. Yes, that's correct.
Admittedly, it's not going as smoothly as I had hoped.
What do you mean?
Unless someone in Asia stands up to them... <coughs> the West powers will take over here. China, Korea, and Japan, all will fall. But I will not allow my beloved homeland to suffer such an ignoble destiny!
<swipes the air> That's a load of bull! Why do you have to stir up a war in Russia to do that?
You are not very well versed in the geopolitical situation of current events, are you?
I know some geography! I could find Japan and China on a map.
<deep sigh and coughs>

China capitulated, gave in to the West 100 years ago! Among all the nations of Asia, only Japan has been able to take a stand against them! But in order to successfully continue resisting, we must become bigger, and stronger! We must plant the seeds of future power now on the Asian continent. And when the moment finally arrives for us to hurry to the aid of the beleaguered Russia, it will be Japan that will become the supreme ruler of all of Eurasia!
So... that's why you've done all this?!
<nods> ...Correct.
Is that why you used Kato to kidnap Nicolai...?
It was always my firm intention to have him become the ruler of the New Russia. <coughs>
Nicolai was a willing participant at first. But then there was that whole unexpected business with Rasputin. And then Nicolai got idiotic independent ideas of his own. You see how that turned out...
And how did shocking his balls and getting him to turn into a demon help in any of this?!
That was a side project that was mostly Kato's business. China and Russia both had run-ins with otherworldly entities of immense power. Japan could use some of that juice as well.

That's insane! If you do that, it's going to set off a whole new war!

All wars end eventually. Suffering is merely temporary. <looks down and nods to himself>
<clenches fist> What about all the people that will die?!
An unfortunate necessity...
Bastard!!
You can kill me, but my plan will not end. Someone will take my place.
<grits teeth and starts marching toward Ishimura>
Much of the world is already at war. But someday it will come to an end. It's not like a second world war will occur. That would be ridiculous. Yes... We just need to endure.

Yuri fixes to get his punching of a lovely old man on. But matters are suddenly complicated...

You hate to see a closet child suddenly appear when things are about to get violent. It's always the most awkward scene.

<gasps> Ah! No! Stay in there, Kosuke!

The little boy runs in-between Ishimura and the eager to punch Yuri and outstretches his arms.

Kosuke, get away from here!!
Leave my grandpa alone!!
<backs up> Huh?
Don't you touch my grandpa, you hear!
What's with this sassy... lost child?

Now that Ishimura's grandson has appeared to defend him, surely Yuri's anger will subside...

NOPE! Out of the loving way, bowl cut, and take a seat! You've got front row tickets to your grandpa getting his rear end whooped!

Foreign Minister Ishimura drops to his knees and starts begging Yuri.

P-please! My grandson is innocent! Don't kill him!

drat, Yuri shoved that kid so hard he ended up in the pocket dimension where the C-List relevant party members hang out during cutscenes.

Don't kill him... I-I'm begging you... Please!

Yuri shoves Ishimura off him and to the floor.

<pants and coughs>
Don't you dare beg for his life!! What about the people you've sent to kill and die in your name?! What about the children whose lives have been snuffed out by your soldiers?! How many parents have begged, just like you, for their children's lives?!
And the guy with the magic flying pillow! I didn't even GET to find out where he got it before he croaked!

?!

Ishimura slowly gets to his knees and turns back toward Yuri.

Music: Never Ending Sadness ~ A Lament

They cried and begged and pleaded for their lives...

Yuri is feeling the punch routine is getting a little played and is going to challenge himself to use only kicks today.

<groans in pain>

<kicks him again> How many people will you sacrifice for your stupid, petty ambitions?!

Well, I think he's had enough for now. You've done a full physical attack strike on him. So, wh—

Oh. You're just going to keep kicking the poo poo out of him on the ground? I think Yuri might be working out some unresolved daddy issues working for the Japanese government and dying. And the fact we didn't get to finish Nicolai. And Kato's heel turn because Yoshiko Kawashima's death and Ouka. This guy is KIND of a fucker. I'd feel like this beating would be harsher if he wasn't kicking the stuffing out of an old-rear end corrupt nationalist politician. We've all been there lately.

<kicks> Protecting them from the west, huh?!
<groans in pain>
<kicks again> Well, protect this!!
<continues to get ribs smashed> Argh!

<frown> .....
Doing it for your country, huh?! <kicks>
UGH! Oooh...
<stomps> I say you did it for yourself!!

Yuri finally stops kicking and breathes heavily.

Stupid, arrogant idiot!! You should rot in hell!
<coughs>
Rot in hell...

Yuri falls to his hands and knees.

<repeatedly punches the ground and starts crying> Rot... in... hell...

...Yeah. Maybe let's give Yuri some space for a while.

Video: Episode 109 Highlight Reel
(You should probably watch this.)

Kosuke Ishimura Concept Art - The most ineffective small child to the rescue ever.

Foreign Minister Kantaro Ishimura Concept Art - Loves his grandson and couches. Hates the West. Not a big fan of kicking.

Ishimura's Office Concept Art - The carpet really brings the room together.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 18, 2021

Burger Flipper
Sep 14, 2015

by astral
While it's not completely unique to this, I do like when a character doesn't just completely stop their plans to kick someone's rear end just because they reveal they have a family. Especially when they point out all the terrible poo poo the bad guy did to other people.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It is somewhat unusual for the protagonist to beat up the family, though.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That was some good shaming, Yuri. And good kicking.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
See, if you aimed just a little higher... yes there...you could cause his heart to explode. But oh well, go ahead and shove the sassy, lost child and kick the poo poo out of his grandpappy, that should solve your issues.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
If we ever got Shadow Hearts WW2, Kosuke could have grown up to be his own boss fight. As it is, my head canon has him become a kamikaze pilot whose final misguided action was about as effective as his appearance in this game. Of course he was not the only nationalist soldier with such a fate on his side of the war. The other side had its share too. And historians should know how it eventually played out.

Personally I like the Kazama Kiryu style of Japanese foreign relations. It’s where you gladly work with foreigners who want to help your business or train you in something (see Yakuza 0), but go punch happy on those who would mess with your countrymen in a bad way (see Yakuza 3). Yuri probably endorses this diplomatic style too.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

achtungnight posted:

Personally I like the Kazama Kiryu style of Japanese foreign relations. It’s where you gladly work with foreigners who want to help your business or train you in something (see Yakuza 0), but go punch happy on those who would mess with your countrymen in a bad way (see Yakuza 3). Yuri probably endorses this diplomatic style too.

What's the difference with the Kazuma Kiryu style of internal relations?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
On internal relations, it’s also very much punch your enemies and help your allies. One has to question its effectiveness however- while Kiryu’s term as top of his organization was very respected, in my opinion it was way too short.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I mean, it's better than the Goro Majima school of diplomacy

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Junpei posted:

I mean, it's better than the Goro Majima school of diplomacy

What, offering a man a hot towel and dodging his every punch before you shake him down for millions of yen?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The problem with Majima style diplomacy is it can be counted on to be insane more than it can to be effective. Yes, the hot towel incident was gold. But then witness the time he drove a truck into a health spa and put it out of business forever, then got his butt kicked. Or the time he followed and harassed someone for several days- yeah, he trained the individual to the peak of human performance in doing so but he also annoyed the heck out of the people behind that individual. And don’t get me started on how he later reconciled with his best friend who just got out of prison. Or his marriage. Or how he barely participated in situations where he could have done a lot more.

I’ll stop this thread derailment now. Just one last note- despite all the above, Yakuza is still a fun series of games.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

achtungnight posted:

The problem with Majima style diplomacy is it can be counted on to be insane more than it can to be effective. Yes, the hot towel incident was gold. But then witness the time he drove a truck into a health spa and put it out of business forever, then got his butt kicked. Or the time he followed and harassed someone for several days- yeah, he trained the individual to the peak of human performance in doing so but he also annoyed the heck out of the people behind that individual. And don’t get me started on how he later reconciled with his best friend who just got out of prison. Or his marriage. Or how he barely participated in situations where he could have done a lot more.

I’ll stop this thread derailment now. Just one last note- despite all the above, Yakuza is still a fun series of games.

Gotta be honest; this is more than a little creepy given that I just started a replay of Yakuza 3 last night. Are you... are you watching me through my window? :magical:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
No, you can relax. I’m just watching other people’s LP videos and getting the games on my mind.

Back on topic to this game, one has to wonder if beating up a pathetic aged politician is going to have any lasting positive effects for our hero. Is he going to learn anything new about his father? Has he shut a Big Bad Wannabe down and will he now concentrate on the real threat who promised to destroy the world if not stopped? Or is another ill-advised plot tangent in his future? I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
We say it often but: the real Shadow Hearts 2 starts here.

It doesn't stop being the absolute madhouse that it already was. But... yeah. This game is gonna be about some stuff now. Yuri's finally burned his rage boner out: the problem has been punched as hard as it could be punched, and punching it just doesn't do anything else. He has to actually stop and ask what the gently caress he wants out of this.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Plus there's still the Man Festival.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The scene stuck with me, if it wasn't obvious before - this is where it's clear as day that Yuri is not okay, he hasn't been okay for a very long time - and there's only so much punching can do.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
All the LP updates have unified relevant names for the screenshots. Mostly because that makes it easier to look back to reference poo poo if I need to. The next update's filenames are worstidea.jpeg

zealouscub
Feb 18, 2020
So did Yuri stop before killing Ishimura or is Ishimura dead now?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

The Dark Id posted:

Foreign Minister Kantaro Ishimura Concept Art - Loves his grandson and couches. Hates the West. Not a big fan of kicking.
Even in the concept art Kosuke seems like he's twigging to the fact something ain't quite right with grandpa, but he loves him anyway.

Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008
When I played this, this scene came a little out of left field for me... And only now it clicked.

Yuri was pissed off because Ishimura was probably the one behind Kawashima being killed, and now Kato's... Ennui? Is that the right word? Does the game tell us this anywhere?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I mean, he's pretty overdue for a meltdown. Let him go at it

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

zealouscub posted:

So did Yuri stop before killing Ishimura or is Ishimura dead now?

I don't think Yuri "killed" him, but that beatdown probably didn't do his ailing health any favors.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I mean, he's pretty overdue for a meltdown. Let him go at it

regardless of if Yuri actually knew or not, this feels very much like 'the straw that broke the camel's back' moment for him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Dark Id posted:

All the LP updates have unified relevant names for the screenshots. Mostly because that makes it easier to look back to reference poo poo if I need to. The next update's filenames are worstidea.jpeg

I have been looking forward to this part the entire LP.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
The game starts with Yuri protecting a small French village from the army of the German Kaiser in the middle of WWI. He's seen what happened to other villages, and he made a choice to protect that village, because he could achieve that.

This isn't about Kawashima or Kato at this point - this is him witnessing World War I, and the build up to it in SH1 -- where one of your team members is functionally an orphan - and going all the way back to Shanghai's destruction which was caused by a misguided attempt to do pretty much the same thing Ishimura is trying to do now, engineer the control of Eurasian by (insert your country here) for the good of your country.

Yuri has seen those devastated villages. He's seen the corpses. He's seen the orphans, the widows, and the maimed soldiers. The land blasted so badly it looks like the surface of the moon.

By this point, all the punching he has done - what's his count, 3 arch-demons, and an extra-dimension being powerful enough to be mistaken for God? -- and he still can't stop the war.

And here's Ishimura, setting up the next war in Eurasia.

This is a powerful moment, but it absolutely makes sense, and I'm deeply impressed the game is Going Here.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
That scene was really well done! The voice acting and facial animation on Ishimura going from nihilistic dead eyed politician going all one death is a tragedy, a million is a statistic immediately to OH gently caress! OH poo poo!OH NO! panicking looking and pathetic sounding when his grandson showed up is great for a game from 2004...? And Yuri finally losing his poo poo and breaking down since he has kinda been lowkey big depression, don't want to think about big depression, wanna punch things, find things to punch!

I do wish we got reaction shots more than neutral expression Anastasia and Whatsherface and mildly concerned Karin to the party leader to just kicking the poo poo out of a guy on the ground for a minute straight.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Well, the old guy did just admit to being the mastermind behind most of the bullshit they've spent the last several dungeons dealing with, and the attempted coup of Russia. If Yuri hadn't beaten his rear end, someone else in the party would've.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Yuri did nothing wrong.

...Yet, judging by where the story seems to be going.

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender
Let's not forget that Ishimura is behind Japan dicking around in China in this setting, meaning that he is the reason for Dehuai's nonsense in the first game and the indirect cause of the death of both of Yuri's parents.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

Iceblocks posted:

Let's not forget that Ishimura is behind Japan dicking around in China in this setting, meaning that he is the reason for Dehuai's nonsense in the first game and the indirect cause of the death of both of Yuri's parents.

Also his girlfreind, Alice only died cause she rescued Yuri's soul after he fused with the S.R. Dehuai summoned.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yuti has had a poo poo life. Dead mom, dead dad, lovely powers, ex-protagonist screaming in his head, appeared in Chaos Wars, girlfriend dead...

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

appeared in Chaos Wars

:smith:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Truly the worst of all fates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FalloutFan56
Jan 3, 2020

ImpAtom posted:

Yuti has had a poo poo life. Dead mom, dead dad, lovely powers, ex-protagonist screaming in his head, appeared in Chaos Wars, girlfriend dead...
Chaos wars? Is he a guest character in another game or am I completely off?