Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/Lancer_RPG/status/1371967341869858816

https://twitter.com/Lancer_RPG/status/1371967343727886339

https://twitter.com/Lancer_RPG/status/1371967344579330054

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
What post was this that they're apologizing for?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

mellonbread posted:

What post was this that they're apologizing for?

Presumably they made the mistake of comparing drag to mecha

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

thetoughestbean posted:

I believe the issue at hand is less "What" and much more "How!?"

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Kurieg posted:

I believe the issue at hand is less "What" and much more "How!?"

doing your business in a shiny humanoid body? adopting the 'persona' of a mech? I dunno.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

They photoshoped a drag queen's face onto a mecha as part of a generally silly series of tweets, iirc.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

There was a pre-existing discourse thing of 'magical girls are mecha' which was being expanded out into 'anything where you take on a different face or form in order to engage in some kind of action is mecha' as a goof, and this led to the Lancer account proposing 'drag is mecha' and it was, overall, a mess.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

The existing "Ratatouille is a mecha movie." and "Magical Girl and Mechs are the same genre" things became a movie bracket and then suddenly there was an apology tweet.

Did not see the controversy develop, just, instantaneous.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 17, 2021

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Big Hubris posted:

The existing "Ratatouille is a mecha movie." and "Magical Girl and Mechs are the same genre" things became a movie bracket and then suddenly there was an apology tweet.

Did not see the controversy develop, just, instantaneous.

This is in part because there's two people running the Lancer account and apparently one of them was less taken with the 'drag is mechs' joke than the other.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
D&D sucks poo poo, but one of the things that doesn't suck about it ia that you're not allowed to post links or articles with zero commentary

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Halloween Jack posted:

D&D sucks poo poo, but one of the things that doesn't suck about it ia that you're not allowed to post links or articles with zero commentary

I think Leperflesh has asked that the same thing happen here.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

thetoughestbean posted:

Also specifically called 'The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert' a mecha movie, which was in pretty seriously bad taste.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Liquid Communism posted:

Also specifically called 'The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert' a mecha movie, which was in pretty seriously bad taste.

That's clearly in poor-taste as a joke, but if someone managed to thread the needle and make it not offensive, I would watch that movie so hard.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Liquid Communism posted:

I think I'm a bit too boringly cis het to fully understand, is there a deeper layer to the joke beyond the fact that the movie involves a bus which can very tenuously creatively reinterpreted as a mecha?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

"We are rightly shamed for making a Priscilla Queen of the Desert mecha joke and will work to earn back your trust" is somewhere after most people lose the thread of what in the gently caress Twitter is even about anymore

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

lightrook posted:

I think I'm a bit too boringly cis het to fully understand, is there a deeper layer to the joke beyond the fact that the movie involves a bus which can very tenuously creatively reinterpreted as a mecha?

Joe Slowboat posted:

There was a pre-existing discourse thing of 'magical girls are mecha' which was being expanded out into 'anything where you take on a different face or form in order to engage in some kind of action is mecha' as a goof, and this led to the Lancer account proposing 'drag is mecha' and it was, overall, a mess.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I thought priscilla queen of the desert was one of the older miyazaki films

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Farg posted:

I thought priscilla queen of the desert was one of the older miyazaki films

Nah, it's a film adaption of a musical about drag queens in Australia. With Hugo Weaving (five years before The Matrix) and Guy Pearce as the leads in drag.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
it's hard to know either way

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

"We are rightly shamed for making a Priscilla Queen of the Desert mecha joke and will work to earn back your trust" is somewhere after most people lose the thread of what in the gently caress Twitter is even about anymore
I guess the tour bus could be a robot. I don't see why not.

Macdoo
Jul 24, 2012

Bad Tabletop Opinions Haver
From what I'd seen on my Twitter feed, it was that comparing mecha to drag in the way they did is kinda a "queering the war machine", "more gay drone operators" kinda deal. Like it's not a "draw and quarter" bad take but a bit of a vague-post inducing sigh-worthy one. "What if the personified version of War Crimes was gay" sorta thing.

Macdoo fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 17, 2021

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Macdoo posted:

From what I'd seen on my Twitter feed, it was that comparing mecha to drag in the way they did is kinda a "queering the war machine", "more gay drone operators" kinda deal. Like it's not a "draw and quarter" bad take but a bit of a vague-post inducing sigh-worthy one. "What if the personified version of War Crimes was gay" sorta thing.

Iok Kujan was gay?

I'm joking

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Macdoo posted:

Twitter sounds loving awful, and I can't believe people read and follow this inane poo poo.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

The joke was an extension of the 'magical girls are mecha' meme (joke? discourse? Is it serious enough to be a discourse?) but applied to something superficially similar but contextually extremely different.

I think it landed particularly poorly in a way the tweet writer didn't expect due to the overlap? Shared space? of drag and gender nonconformity. Being a drag artist is obviously not the same, but I think it felt a little too close to a 'Caitlyn Jenner is a mecha' kind of joke.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Proud Rat Mom posted:

Twitter sounds loving awful, and I can't believe people read and follow this inane poo poo.
You mean you don't spend 25 hours a day investigating the wrongdoings, alleged wrongdoings, and vaguely rumoured wrongdoings of every personality you and your circle of friends have ever heard of? People like you are part of the problem and make me feel so unsafe.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Proud Rat Mom posted:

Agreed. Christ. Normally I hate the "it isn't that offensive, take a joke" poo poo, but this of all things to prompt a 5 tweet apology (from the folks doing some of the best in the industry by far to foster an inclusive game and community) that looks like what you'd expect out of "oops I was accidentally super racist and then doubled down"? Do we have nothing better to do in the RPG sphere than chase for this poo poo?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

If nothing else, it's a good template for apologizing for these things. This is all intensely stupid though.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

If nothing else, it's a good template for apologizing for these things. This is all intensely stupid though.

Unfortunately there is a problem with the template being widely utilized and expected to be widely utilized: it's now virtually impossible to tell who's making a sincere and thoughtful apology, and who's just good at a specialized form of technical writing.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

"That apology isn't sincere enough or contrite enough!"
"Wait, don't do it that well, everyone can just copy your good one!"

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

homullus posted:

"I'll go in somewhere between begrudging and sincere"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Haystack posted:

They photoshoped a drag queen's face onto a mecha as part of a generally silly series of tweets, iirc.

That really seems like the sort of thing you should leave for your fan community to do.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Dear INTERNET,

I am deeply sorry that I DID A SEXISM ON TWITTER. I know it was my fault. I never meant for that to happen. I never dreamed it could.

I am also sorry that YOU PROBABLY SHOULDN'T CHECK MY FACEBOOK HISTORY and that I THOUGHT THE CONFEDERATE FLAG WAS JUST A SYMBOL OF SOUTHERN PRIDE HONEST for a little while. I hope you feel the same way.

I mean this. I mean every word.

- TG INDUSTRY

Gatto Grigio fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 17, 2021

Battle Mad Ronin
Aug 26, 2017

Midjack posted:

That really seems like the sort of thing you should leave for your fan community to do.

This. The relationship between fans and the object of their fandom has taken some weird turns these last few years and it is distinctly uncomfortable. Creators tend to balance on a thin line between the casual and the professional in the effort to garner the kind of bond with their fans that can be readily turned into streams of income. The total capitalist colonization of intimacy as a commodity.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I don't really have any deeper commentary or insight into the situation in question except to say that every time one of these Twitter apologies gets posted I just end up very confused. I feel like in most cases these are situations that only affect a small community of people and judgement calls from outsiders aren't really necessary.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

homullus posted:

Yep, that's pretty much the situation we've found ourselves in. Our best intentions led us to this point, and now there's a formula that you can easily google up, or consultants who will provide you a template for a nominal fee. I'm reasonably confident there's enough material out there now that you could train a neural network on the apology formula and have it produce sincerity-free but format-compliant letter of contrition. It really is a technical writing task, and that concerns me in a field like RPGs where technical writing is What We Do - albeit badly, most of the time.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
it really makes me appreciate the people who continue to just say the dumbest and worst apologies. When it's pretty much a solved problem.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Tibalt posted:

The joke was an extension of the 'magical girls are mecha' meme (joke? discourse? Is it serious enough to be a discourse?)

It’s like the Die Hard is a Christmas Movie poo poo. It’s simultaneously a joke and something that people believe with all their heart and will die on the hill of

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

thetoughestbean posted:

It’s like the Die Hard is a Christmas Movie poo poo. It’s simultaneously a joke and something that people believe with all their heart and will die on the hill of

So it's also a joke that people will bring up as if they just through of it every year like clockwork? And when you're like "Yeah, that joke is old enough to vote, thanks for bringing up the topic again, bet your favorite Christmas song is Fairytale of New York too right, cause you get the say the f word" they get real mad at you? Like that.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

thetoughestbean posted:

The original meme is actually very good discourse, it's about finding the genre similarities between mecha and magical girls.

Treating them as the same is just the inevitable result of nerd culture wanting to lump things under the same term, ideally pop-cultural terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021

Joe Slowboat posted:

The original meme is actually very good discourse, it's about finding the genre similarities between mecha and magical girls.

Does someone have a link to the original? My google-fu is failing me.