Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Is there any easy way to add those studs you see on like the old MKV power armor onto bare armor? My initial thought was using brass beads and drilling but it feels like it would be really hard to keep the depth consistent. Was curious if any enterprising bits sellers out there just sell plastic studs or something instead, or if there's an easier way to make them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Is there any easy way to add those studs you see on like the old MKV power armor onto bare armor? My initial thought was using brass beads and drilling but it feels like it would be really hard to keep the depth consistent. Was curious if any enterprising bits sellers out there just sell plastic studs or something instead, or if there's an easier way to make them.

Put several layers of tape on your drill bit so that you have a mostly consistent depth

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

https://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/search?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=rivet&submit_search=

Seems like GSW has some options

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

I use a 1mm hole punch and plastic lawn signs.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Communist Walrus posted:

The regular Vallejo surface primer works really well too. I had the exact same problems with stynylrez, except mine was brand new. Switched to Vallejo and haven't had a single problem since.

Vallejo goes on great but I find it peels off too easily.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So picked up an airbrush and compressor by "Creative Air" for under $100 collectively, and it's got a few needles and it's a gravity fed double action airbrush, seems ok, compressor is quiet.

I've watched a few youtubes on how to operate it and clean it and such, and I have some ideas of what else to get with it, but I'm just wanting to run it by you guys who know their stuff about airbrushes.

Looking into getting one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8NI5GA

and I guess I should get some iso to clean, and from research it looks like I can water down my existing paints to thin them, rather than exclusively buy yet more airbrush specific paints.

Any other products you guys'd suggest?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So picked up an airbrush and compressor by "Creative Air" for under $100 collectively, and it's got a few needles and it's a gravity fed double action airbrush, seems ok, compressor is quiet.

I've watched a few youtubes on how to operate it and clean it and such, and I have some ideas of what else to get with it, but I'm just wanting to run it by you guys who know their stuff about airbrushes.

and I guess I should get some iso to clean, and from research it looks like I can water down my existing paints to thin them, rather than exclusively buy yet more airbrush specific paints.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Get actual air brush thinner and or flow improver; don't use tap water to thin what you're going to put into an airbrush.

I can't remember what the difference is between the two off the top of my head, does anyone here know? 🙃

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Is there a wash or a contrast paint I can put on this base that won't dull down or alter the colors too much? I want to keep these as colorful as possible, but as-is I think the ground texture lacks definition. I've tried agrax earthshade, seraphim sepia, and Army Painter's green tone, but the results varied from barf to ho-hum.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Communist Walrus posted:

Is there a wash or a contrast paint I can put on this base that won't dull down or alter the colors too much? I want to keep these as colorful as possible, but as-is I think the ground texture lacks definition. I've tried agrax earthshade, seraphim sepia, and Army Painter's green tone, but the results varied from barf to ho-hum.

Thin down a green of choice and add it to some areas and then mix in white to those green/yellow areas and maybe even bring it to a pure yellow for more contrast?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
You might want to try Druchi Violet or Drakenhof Nightshade, purple and green tend to go well together and blue is a natural shade, but you'd probably need to go back and reestablish your brightest colors after.

You might also consider watering down an ink or even making your own complimentary wash (by watering down a darker green or blue and adding in a drop of a flow improver (or dish soap)). I'd probably go for a blue or purple shade though, I think anything brown or red hue would wind up looking pretty gross.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You could also two coat gloss varnish it and use black ink as a pin wash. It'll keep the raised areas as-is, but pool black into the recesses (hopefully taming the overall amount of "bright.")

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I'll give these ideas a shot. Thanks all!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If you're going to use water in your airbrush, get distilled water. The mineral content in regular water can cause buildup in your airbrush.

As for actual products, I use MEDEA Airbrush Cleaner, Impresa Airbrush Flow Improver, interdental brushes for scrubbing inside the brush, and earbuds for scrubbing the inside of the paint hopper.

You don't need airbrush-specific paint. I use regular paint with the airbrush flow improver and it works fine so far, though I'm sure there are better/more varied products out there.

As for paints that work exceptionally well in an airbrush or just in general, try artist inks (liquitex, daler rowny), Golden high flow acrylics, and vallejo metal color.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

PoptartsNinja posted:

You might want to try Druchi Violet or Drakenhof Nightshade, purple and green tend to go well together and blue is a natural shade, but you'd probably need to go back and reestablish your brightest colors after.

You might also consider watering down an ink or even making your own complimentary wash (by watering down a darker green or blue and adding in a drop of a flow improver (or dish soap)). I'd probably go for a blue or purple shade though, I think anything brown or red hue would wind up looking pretty gross.

Yeah, no matter what I’d think the secret is to re-establish the colors you want to pop after you’ve applied the wash.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Special shout out to Flameon Miniatures for the best NMM I've ever seen on any model https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFKkAcLBp5Q

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

He suggests not to use an airbrush pot, then what do you guys use to hold your airbrush when you don't want to use it for the moment?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

He suggests not to use an airbrush pot, then what do you guys use to hold your airbrush when you don't want to use it for the moment?
my compressor has a thing to hold it

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I use an airbrush pot, I don't see a problem with them. I tend to use the blowback technique with airbrush cleaner to clean out the brush, dump the liquid into a small cup, and then use the airbrush pot to blow out any remaining liquid and hold my airbrush when I'm not using it.

An alternative to this is airbrush holders as well, which don't come with the cup apparatus.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

a stand i made out of garbage

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

:captainpop: So that's how they did it.

Just un-loving-believably amazing.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Verisimilidude posted:

Special shout out to Flameon Miniatures for the best NMM I've ever seen on any model https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFKkAcLBp5Q

Ooooo I like this method of NMM with multiple thin scratches on top of each other, I want to try this

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It's amazing NMM and it's amazing faux embroidery too.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
that NMM is absolutely incredible.

Also to go back a few pages on the discussion of contrast paints and inks, someone itt suggested combining the two and it's been brilliant for me. Payne's Grey ink in some contrast medium at various ratios gives me a great wash for recess shading, or glazing in shadows, or anything in between.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I understand why these people like Patreon, but sometimes I'd like to be able to buy just the one guide instead of having to subscribe :(

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

BULBASAUR posted:

Thanks! I'm especially proud of how those rocks turned out, as dumb as it sounds.

I had a breakthrough with the leaf litter- I used real leaves with birch leaf seed pods, but it wasn't getting the fall colors like I see around here. So I raided my tea cabinet. I added yerba matte and rooibos, ground it all together with a mortar and pestle, added some PVA, and it turned out great.

e: the water cometh

Goddamnit thats looking incredibly sick.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

Thanks! I'm especially proud of how those rocks turned out, as dumb as it sounds.

I had a breakthrough with the leaf litter- I used real leaves with birch leaf seed pods, but it wasn't getting the fall colors like I see around here. So I raided my tea cabinet. I added yerba matte and rooibos, ground it all together with a mortar and pestle, added some PVA, and it turned out great.

e: the water cometh

Cool as hell! How are going to do the frost look? I know that greenstuff world has som liquid frost, but I haven't been able to get my hands on any of it for my Frostgrave gang.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

jesus WEP posted:

my compressor has a thing to hold it

I like my pot-holder because it's much easier to just pick up and move around than the entire compressor. Not that I'm really moving it around all that much, but my hobby desk is very crowded and sometimes I just want to move it out of the way slightly.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Forgot to post the finished Zarbag's Gitz

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Winklebottom posted:

Forgot to post the finished Zarbag's Gitz

Gat dang I love your gobbos.
Man Im really getting the urge to paint tiny dudes again.

DreadUnknown fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 18, 2021

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Test model for upcoming Word Bearers, pretty pleased with it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Attestant posted:

Test model for upcoming Word Bearers, pretty pleased with it.

Hell yeah

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

DreadUnknown posted:

Gat dang I love your gobbos.
Man Im really getting the urge to paint tiny dudes again.

Thanks! Do it, paint for the paint god

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I just might, I havent painted Speis Murines in a long time, my custom chapter might need to come back to life. But I think my favorite minis to paint were High Elves and Skaven.
I used to field both Dark Angels and Space Wolves.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

DreadUnknown posted:

I just might, I havent painted Speis Murines in a long time, my custom chapter might need to come back to life. But I think my favorite minis to paint were High Elves and Skaven.
I used to field both Dark Angels and Space Wolves.

If you got a hankerin' for some elves, Age of Sigmar got high elf equivalents a little while ago, Lumineth Realm-lords. They're a lot wackier than the WHFB elves but they're pretty solid sculpts.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Electric Hobo posted:

Cool as hell! How are going to do the frost look? I know that greenstuff world has som liquid frost, but I haven't been able to get my hands on any of it for my Frostgrave gang.

I've been struggling with it over the last day or so. I'm not sure yet... most of the snow and frost products like the one from GSW aren't realistic enough for me. They produce an exaggerated effect while I'm going for something more subtle.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Winklebottom posted:

If you got a hankerin' for some elves, Age of Sigmar got high elf equivalents a little while ago, Lumineth Realm-lords. They're a lot wackier than the WHFB elves but they're pretty solid sculpts.

I love the Sea Elf sculpts a lot, its such a good line.
I think Im gonna spend some of my stimulus money on a few.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Winklebottom posted:

I keep eyeing up their ghost armor dude at my lgs because I wanna paint that so badly

AOS has a ton of models I want to paint up just to paint, Idgaf about playing the actual game

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I keep eyeing up their ghost armor dude at my lgs because I wanna paint that so badly

AOS has a ton of models I want to paint up just to paint, Idgaf about playing the actual game

Yeah I will give GW credit for making a bunch of cool new models nobody wants to play a game with.
Where the gently caress is my WHFB goddamnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

I've been struggling with it over the last day or so. I'm not sure yet... most of the snow and frost products like the one from GSW aren't realistic enough for me. They produce an exaggerated effect while I'm going for something more subtle.
Maybe varnish, then brush selected areas with thin superglue? That should force the varnish to frost.
Also, AK Interactive has something like Light Snow. I use it on my Frostgrave minis, and then sprinkle with snow microballoons. Without the balloons, it looks like a thin layer of melting snow.
I've posted them in here, you can see the effect on the edges of the snowy areas.

Electric Hobo fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 18, 2021