Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

You believe in the "horseshoe theory."

No, I believe in certain personalities being completely unable to exist in a space without being contrarians, not that far left = far right. I'm saying these people see someone on the far left and contrive reasons to believe their leftism is actually problematic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

You believe in the "horseshoe theory."

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
^ I can get behind that one

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Brain Candy posted:

i know it will never happen but mods & admins should be elected and recal|able instead of completely unaccountable and as long as that's true you'll have Love Democracy Or Else combined with banning to win fights

You dont need this, there should just be a better way to remove lovely mods than "make enough noise in QCS that Jeffrey/admins comes down off the mountain and hems and haws enough to do something". And good luck if that admins in a bad mood lol.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
drat, Richard Wolff is losing his cool.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
the most basic rule of forums moderation is "don't punish people for making fun of you", it's insane how often people don't follow it.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

really queer Christmas posted:

You dont need this, there should just be a better way to remove lovely mods than "make enough noise in QCS that Jeffrey/admins comes down off the mountain and hems and haws enough to do something". And good luck if that admins in a bad mood lol.

you need something, some lever to get people with power to do what you want. karening only works if the people on the other end care that you are complaining. nominally this is a comedy website so being funny was a valiant effort, but in the QCS thread HF was banned for making a joke

this what the immortal science predicts and what do you think happened? admin reads a truly hilarious thread, later finds that the sass was actually correct, and then bans a poster for joking and correctly says to everyone that they don't have to care what other people think

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Halloween Jack posted:

drat, Richard Wolff is losing his cool.

frankly it's amazing he has maintained it for as long as he has

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

dick wolff tell us what u really think

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Brain Candy posted:

you need something, some lever to get people with power to do what you want. karening only works if the people on the other end care that you are complaining. nominally this is a comedy website so being funny was a valiant effort, but in the QCS thread HF was banned for making a joke

this what the immortal science predicts and what do you think happened? admin reads a truly hilarious thread, later finds that the sass was actually correct, and then bans a poster for joking and correctly says to everyone that they don't have to care what other people think

i think the selection process of having to shame mods into recompense, and that mods select new mods, eventually ends up with a staff full of shameless dunderheads or people who get way too invested into their forums position. burnout claims everyone else, not counting those who are sane enough to never accept the position in the first place.

it also doesn't help that while there's people who gives sane feedback, there's absolutely ludicrous people that form stalking clubs over getting dinged at all which also plays towards filtering any given moderation team to dysfunction. there was a series of interviews done with the mods at r/askhistorians where they talked about people sending them like, eight hundred threatening messages over deleting a pun (and ten times worse if they're outed as not a cishet white guy). it seems like a remarkably unpleasant gig and its probably not conductive, systemically, that it is treated as vital enough to imbune with expectations of trust and duty but also something you expect done for free.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

a forum cop is someone who enforces their bad decisions and doesnt tolerate sass even when the community overwhelmingly tells them they suck rear end

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i think the selection process of having to shame mods into recompense, and that mods select new mods, eventually ends up with a staff full of shameless dunderheads or people who get way too invested into their forums position. burnout claims everyone else, not counting those who are sane enough to never accept the position in the first place.

it also doesn't help that while there's people who gives sane feedback, there's absolutely ludicrous people that form stalking clubs over getting dinged at all which also plays towards filtering any given moderation team to dysfunction. there was a series of interviews done with the mods at r/askhistorians where they talked about people sending them like, eight hundred threatening messages over deleting a pun (and ten times worse if they're outed as not a cishet white guy). it seems like a remarkably unpleasant gig and its probably not conductive, systemically, that it is treated as vital enough to imbune with expectations of trust and duty but also something you expect done for free.

yeah this insightful too, the lese majeste is the recompense for the stupid garbage and handling insane people. here's another crazy idea, pay people (could be coffee money, just depends on how much time it takes) for thread janitoring

THS
Sep 15, 2017

comedyblissoption posted:

a forum cop is someone who enforces their bad decisions and doesnt tolerate sass even when the community overwhelmingly tells them they suck rear end

hey squizzle this is incredibly loving lame

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

good lord the mods of this subforum suck rear end

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
:filez:

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Looking at the button labeled If I Push This Button Im A loving Moron And Everyone Hates Me, sweating bullets

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Mods rear end

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

squizzle sux at comedy

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i hear that before you can become a cspam mod they put you through an exacting battery of tests to ensure that they only pick people who will always make the dumbest possible decision in every conceivable situation

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Rand Paul
Aug 2, 2009

a Loving Dog posted:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

THS posted:

a Loving Dog posted:

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

lol just close cspam and get it over with already

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

THS posted:

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

lmao even with the charitable interpretation that was a joke that's lame

you freaks. one of you just got credibly caught defending pedophilia, and people are getting probed for not agreeing with the us government, we'll call you pedos all we want

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
the cspam mods would prefer that we use the phrase 'ephebophile mods' to stop people fighting over syntax,

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
just merge CSPAM with D&D at this point the mods basically govern the same way

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

a Loving Dog posted:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

what the gently caress Squizzle, gently caress that poo poo

darling, if that is considered "sass" worthy of probation, how in the gently caress you handle some real lip in your faces with that skin being thinner than a jellyfish's?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/commieactivity/status/1372278922897993734

:psyboom:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

in terms of Americans he’s probably, very depressingly, correct

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Remember when gg reposted terf propaganda and defended a book that argues that lesbians are being wipes out by trans men or some equally insane poo poo

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah but he makes the blue haired people so MAD, so it's fun to say he's good, like David Duke, or Hitler

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Vaush has his problems but I will always love how mad he makes the worst people.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Brain Candy posted:

i know it will never happen but mods & admins should be elected and recal|able instead of completely unaccountable and as long as that's true you'll have Love Democracy Or Else combined with banning to win fights

There is a transparency in guessing the number that is completely lacking in the current system of mod appointments.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

say what you will about vaushites but no vietcong ever called me a tankie

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ruzihm posted:

say what you will about vaushites but no vietcong ever called me a tankie

lol

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Tesseraction posted:

Vaush has his problems but I will always love how mad he makes the worst people.

interesting.. what problems do you speak of

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

this keeps happening for some odd reason :nallears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

THS posted:

interesting.. what problems do you speak of

well first of all he's a cat person