Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Walla posted:

Not having to flail my arms around like an idiot is the big draw for me.

and yet you're still posting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Xcom 2 on the cheap

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The Bloop posted:

lmfao@you

Do you play with a big audience?

Not even to mention that SS required tiny wrist movements not full arm flailing?

I just imagine all these people playing wii games like

It's more that I have a messed up shoulder and back. Even the tiny movements mess up my rotator cuff after enough time.

And my wife laughs at me. :)

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

MarcusSA posted:

Xcom 2 on the cheap

This port is pretty darn good. The graphics are scaled down so it's not the prettiest thing in the world and some animations cause the frame rates to drop a ton.

BUT! The game is a lot of fun. Really deep strategy, and the load times aren't very bad. It also seems to be pretty stable, I don't remember it crashing, all of these were complaints I had with the PS4 version of the game.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

C'mon, Nintendo, port Chimera Squad already.

It's the best XCOM game and I wanna play it on the toilet!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

How does xcom 2 play on Switch?

Edit: should have refreshed

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ragequit posted:

Speaking of Saga Frontier, the preorder went up. It's $25, which I don't think was mentioned in the first announcement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IYN0JUtkjU

Anyone not spending $25 on this should be sent to Gitmo.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

My realistic take is they're running this promo to get people to re-up since they have nothing new to announce for 2021.

Yes it's definitely a realistic take that Nintendo has nothing to announce for an entire year. Yep. Completely rational.

*ignores already-made announcements and games getting ready to release in the upcoming weeks as well as recent releases*

I can't believe the Nintendo Switch is dead.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

A full year of nothing but "...and it's out later today!" announcements in preparation for actually not announcing anything in 2022.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I took it to mean for the online service and not total for the Switch

Those data miners did promise more systems remember? Where's my other system emulators at data miners?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Ugh that neo geo pocket color collection costs 40 dollars.... that’s a little too high to be worth it....

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Are you committed to this childhood dream or not?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ChikoDemono posted:

Gnosia chat. Made a new save to play as a different gender. Had the best game so far at Loop 9 when you first play as a Gnos.

Raqio and I befriended Shige early on who defended us all the way through. Won the game with just me and Shige left. Come to find out he was the guardian angel! Not only that, 2 of the 3 people he protected were the Gnos.

Shigemichi: The most loyal ally.

I've played enough of this game now where I can pick people out based on what I know of them. Like someone claimed engineer and Comet counterclaimed, and the fact that I didn't detect a lie and no one else with high intuition jumped on her either meant she had to be telling the truth because she is absolutely poo poo at lying so the other person had to be the fake claim.

Up around loop 100 now and I have a lot of the cool skills, and it's pretty fun to be able to do some of the bastard moves that they've been using on me. There's one event sequence that seems like it is going to take an enormous amount of luck to pull off, but I'm enjoying all the story bits and honestly even without getting new events or story stuff I still love this stupid bizarro mafia game. I'm hoping there's like a "just keep looping" option even after I solve everything.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Walla posted:

It's more that I have a messed up shoulder and back. Even the tiny movements mess up my rotator cuff after enough time.

Now that is completely fair and accessibility options are unequivocally good

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Fluffy posted:

Anyone not spending $25 on this should be sent to Gitmo.

Harsh, but fair.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Are you committed to this childhood dream or not?

gently caress dude you got me lol

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

What's the draw for SaGa Frontier?
It looks cool but what type of RPG is it?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Ragequit posted:

Speaking of Saga Frontier, the preorder went up. It's $25, which I don't think was mentioned in the first announcement.

Is there going to be a physical version in Asia with English support, and for that matter, will there be one for Legend of Mana?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Ragequit posted:

I never played Saga Frontier, what makes it great?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Al-Saqr posted:

Ugh that neo geo pocket color collection costs 40 dollars.... that’s a little too high to be worth it....

I'd say each game is worth $4.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Takoluka posted:

I'd say each game is worth $4.

I guess when you put it like that it makes sense

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

What's the draw for SaGa Frontier?
It looks cool but what type of RPG is it?
The most unhelpful description is, Its a SaGa game. There's not really anything else like them, they're full of weird esoteric mechanics and open ended gameplay that no other RPG has. Frontier is one of the most popular SaGas though, for being generally the most approachable one, and also having a great cast of characters and scenarios, and a great art style.

Frontier in particular is just 7 (now 8 in the remaster) cool vignettes that all take place in the same wide open science fantasy universe. Its more or less the game that Octopath Traveller wished it was

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 17, 2021

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Interesting, thanks.

Do you get to break the game apart like in Disgea?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning is on Switch now, but does anyone know how the performance is?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Inzombiac posted:

Interesting, thanks.

Sort of? You can definitely break the game and put together super teams that annihilate your character's final boss, but it's more about knowing where and how to get the good gear/abilities/magic than grinding up big numbers. Things go a lot faster on later playthroughs as a result.

The original also had some bugs you could use to really break the game (get infinite money, give yourself infinite turns), but we don't know if they're still in the remake.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Interesting, thanks.

Not really like that, part of the SaGa aesthetic is that they're full of so many obtuse systems that make it hard to conceptualize it as a video game and its just kind of a simulation of a world where things are happening at you. For instance, most SaGa games have four races of characters that progress in totally different ways, and none of them are just earning exp to level up. Such as monster characters get more powerful by eating other monsters and under certain circumstances evolve into different kinds of monsters, and you can sit down with a thick strategy guide and figure out who to eat to become what with which abilities, or you can just eat poo poo and see what happens because its not really hard enough to care about things too much. So powerleveling is less grinding up stats like Disgaea and more just, having knowledge about how the game works and where stuff is.

The charm of it is ultimately, everyone's path through the game is going to be pretty different just by virtue of the choices you make.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

That's extremely cool and you've sold me :D

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

The Bloop posted:

lmfao@you

Not even to mention that SS required tiny wrist movements not full arm flailing?

one time I watched a friend play BOTW for the first time and when she got a bow and tried to aim it she literally started wildly flailing and then asked how to turn off gyro aiming because it didn't work. it was quite revealing

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

homeless snail posted:

Not really like that, part of the SaGa aesthetic is that they're full of so many obtuse systems that make it hard to conceptualize it as a video game and its just kind of a simulation of a world where things are happening at you. For instance, most SaGa games have four races of characters that progress in totally different ways, and none of them are just earning exp to level up. Such as monster characters get more powerful by eating other monsters and under certain circumstances evolve into different kinds of monsters, and you can sit down with a thick strategy guide and figure out who to eat to become what with which abilities, or you can just eat poo poo and see what happens because its not really hard enough to care about things too much. So powerleveling is less grinding up stats like Disgaea and more just, having knowledge about how the game works and where stuff is.

The charm of it is ultimately, everyone's path through the game is going to be pretty different just by virtue of the choices you make.

I really want to try the SaGa games, after having done Octopath since it seems to be the spiritual forebearer of that. But they're proper JRPG length right? Not just games you can dip into. Also where would one start and is it worth doing them all?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I really want to try the SaGa games, after having done Octopath since it seems to be the spiritual forebearer of that. But they're proper JRPG length right? Not just games you can dip into. Also where would one start and is it worth doing them all?

The newest one (SaGa Scarlet Grace Ambitions) is supposed to be pretty accessible, it’s also on sale for $15 right now. I picked it up the other day but haven’t started yet. The Romancing SaGa ports are on sale too

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

homeless snail posted:

People would definitely buy a collection just for those and Faselei, the same way they're gonna buy this one for MotM, but what else are you gonna put on there for filler, Crush Roller?

There would definitely be the Biomotor games... maybe Cotton: Fantastic Night Dreams, possibly the Puzzle Links?

Not sure if they can work out a deal with Sting (or whoever) for Evolution: Eternal Dungeons to be included, but that could be neat.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Bloop posted:

lmfao@you

The Wii was the ultimate culmination of all those '90s movies/commercials where a kid in a backwards baseball cap was mashing buttons on a Game Boy while flailing wildly around.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The SaGa games are all standalone, like Final Fantasy, so you can start wherever you want. Length will vary a ton based on the game and character. Frontier has 8 characters who take maybe 6-9 hours each (once you know how the game works and how to break it, a first playthrough that’s wandering around and figuring things out will be a lot slower), Scarlet grace has 4 characters who are closer to 15-50 hours each depending on how completionist you are, Romancing SaGa 2 is a single story that’s 40ish hours to beat, etc.

Scarlet Grace is the one on switch that’s arguably the most accessible, because it has thorough and legitimately helpful ingame documentation for how its mechanics work, instead of just throwing you out the door and laughing at you. But it’s also the one that strips out most normal Jrpg padding (towns, dungeons, random battles, npcs) so it can focus on
A. Having a crazy amount of sidequests with branches and delayed consequences to decisions so that every playthrough is different
B. Having an extremely good battle system (where you spend 90% of your playtime)

Romancing SaGa 3 has the best combination of polish, SaGa style gameplay, and a more conventional Jrpg structure, so that’s probably better if you want to start with something more familiar, but it’s also a fairly faithful remake of a SNES game, so some parts can feel more dated.

Frontier gives you way more variety in mechanics, setting, and structure than the others, at the cost of more jank (the remaster will probably reduce the jank but I would expect a healthy amount to still be there)

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Willo567 posted:

Is there going to be a physical version in Asia with English support,
Yes, there's preorders for it already up at the usual places (Play-Asia, Nintendo Soup, and shop4megastore.com, etc.)

Willo567 posted:

and for that matter, will there be one for Legend of Mana?
Not yet announced, at least.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Snake Maze posted:

The SaGa games are all standalone, like Final Fantasy, so you can start wherever you want. Length will vary a ton based on the game and character. Frontier has 8 characters who take maybe 6-9 hours each (once you know how the game works and how to break it, a first playthrough that’s wandering around and figuring things out will be a lot slower), Scarlet grace has 4 characters who are closer to 15-50 hours each depending on how completionist you are, Romancing SaGa 2 is a single story that’s 40ish hours to beat, etc.

Scarlet Grace is the one on switch that’s arguably the most accessible, because it has thorough and legitimately helpful ingame documentation for how its mechanics work, instead of just throwing you out the door and laughing at you. But it’s also the one that strips out most normal Jrpg padding (towns, dungeons, random battles, npcs) so it can focus on
A. Having a crazy amount of sidequests with branches and delayed consequences to decisions so that every playthrough is different
B. Having an extremely good battle system (where you spend 90% of your playtime)

Romancing SaGa 3 has the best combination of polish, SaGa style gameplay, and a more conventional Jrpg structure, so that’s probably better if you want to start with something more familiar, but it’s also a fairly faithful remake of a SNES game, so some parts can feel more dated.

Frontier gives you way more variety in mechanics, setting, and structure than the others, at the cost of more jank (the remaster will probably reduce the jank but I would expect a healthy amount to still be there)

I like the sound of Grace. I think I'll start there and then try out Frontiers. Wasn't Final Fantasy Legend a SaGa game on the gameboy?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It varies, if you want a short one the answer is probably Saga Frontier actually, cause like I said its 7 (now 8) vignettes and each one is like idk a 6-15 hour long standalone thing. Kinda like Octopath if you just did each character's story one by one. They're almost all good though, and you can't really go wrong unless you pulled out a PS2 and played Unlimited Saga, and I wouldn't necessarily recommend starting with the Game Boy games because they're more obtuse than most.

If you just want to buy something cheap, Romancing Saga 2 and 3 on sale right now are easy recommendations. RS3 is another game that Octopath draws heavily from, a big JRPG storyline that you have a certain amount of freedom to explore with a big cast of characters. RS2 is a weird multi-generational thing where you play as a succession of kings, where when one ruler dies you pick up where they left off as their heir. They're both great.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I like the sound of Grace. I think I'll start there and then try out Frontiers. Wasn't Final Fantasy Legend a SaGa game on the gameboy?

Yep, it was the original SaGa game. The game boy games are available in a collection on Switch, but they all got remakes in Japan that all have fan translations - the first on Wonderswan Color and 2&3 on DS

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah, the Legend games were all SaGas, and Legend 1 was the first proper SaGa game, though FF2 was directed by the same guy and is kind of a SaGa-lite.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kawazu is a mad genius. I got Scarlet Grace but I’ve only really played the Frontier games before and even then I had little idea what I was doing but I respect his design commitment immensely lol.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I rented Frontier back when the game was relatively new, and I remember not liking it much. That might have been because I didn't understand what was going on and had been expecting a more traditional sort of JRPG, though. I have the remaster wishlisted and may end up giving it a shot if I see a nice sale on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Oh final super important SaGa game. Are they d-pad compatible? Meaning I can play them exclusively with the Joy-con d-pad instead of the sticks? If they're fully portable that'll go a LONG way with me getting it asap.