Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

They really just should have added iron veins, at a lower spawn rate, to the mountains. Players would still need to go through the swamp to acquire great quantities and to get the wishbone but making people go back to the swamp is kind of a bummer, especially when the quantity of iron is fully dependent on the number of crypts and their contents, both subject to wild swings of RNG.

Iron is the worst part of game, it's so tedious to gather and even the plains recipes inexplicably need a ton of it to craft and upgrade stuff. IMHO plains absolutely needs to have mineable iron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Another option is to place permanent portals that are connected to other portals on the map. Said portals must be discovered first. While they may not eliminate the need for boat transport, they could reduce the overall time spent, which is a good compromise.

Hell, I'd love more sturctures / fortresses / dungeons to discover and explore. Here's hoping.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Devs have made it pretty clear they're not interested in allowing ores to be teleported. There are lots of interesting ideas posted here and elsewhere about how to have it both ways, some quite good, but for the foreseeable future if you want something like that, you're gonna have to mod it in.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mind the transportation rather less than I do the tedium of digging the poo poo up.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Those of you who are building huge structures and have the "honor" not to turn creative mode are gods to me. I have no problem playing the game but just collecting tens of thousands of stone in this game offers no fun to me.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Firebert posted:

Iron is the worst part of game, it's so tedious to gather and even the plains recipes inexplicably need a ton of it to craft and upgrade stuff. IMHO plains absolutely needs to have mineable iron.

the insanely easy way to do this would be to allow black metal chunks to be smeltable into iron, and also turned into black metal ingots the usual way

rename them "black metal alloy mix" or something. bam. no more mining, more reason to find and kill fulings

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Fulings showed up at my meadows main base. What the hell? Little doofs wandered in and murdered me.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Wish this game let me throw all my ore into the blast furnaces so we don't have to design our smelter complex accounting for the different positions of the loading points on smelters and blast furnaces.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

They should just add more stuff to do with boats. Let passengers assist by rowing, scouting land or even fishing. Upgrade rafts and karves so they are useful after you unlock longboats.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bus hustler posted:

Those of you who are building huge structures and have the "honor" not to turn creative mode are gods to me. I have no problem playing the game but just collecting tens of thousands of stone in this game offers no fun to me.

Weirdly I would rather dig up stone than other poo poo, because each batch of stone is interspersed with a good bit of building, which is fun, and you can also do it in any biome. Metal just gives you basically a tool +1, it's only stat improvements, and you have specific, repetitive places you get it from, which isn't very interesting.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I mind the transportation rather less than I do the tedium of digging the poo poo up.

Kind of agree with this. I'm playing solo, but I had to do only one run with the longship to get all the iron I ever needed. Of course if you actually want to build with it it you might need a second run.
Speaking of playing solo: Does killing the 5th boss do anything interesting? Since it obviously doesn't unlock new biomes I'm thinking of waiting for updates instead of aimlessly wandering the plains. Or should I be hitting more villages?
Edit: Also gg to the goblin that burned down half my barley.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Iverron posted:

With how much iron is used post swamps: no.

Real talk, if the challenge of an activity is "it's boring to do the same thing over and over" then it is only time you are trading for the numbers to go up. In effect, get your assload of iron/silver/spoilermetal home the hard way the first time. the gameplay loop and logistical hurdle is important to ascribing some meaning and struggle to the building and progress in the game, but like, after you've kitted yourself out in higher tier stuff, those old biomes are baby-stuff, and the only challenge is motivation to grind trivialized tasks.

In an official capacity I reckon they could make it so you could build an "iron portal" out of silver tier materials, this portal let's you transport metals up to Iron quality. That way you still need to be strategic and go through the work of digging up the initial cache of scrap, build your stuff, and progress. It also requires a tier above so you don't dawdle in iron-age for too long just maxing out everything easily before moving on up.

I would also accept the compromise of building workshop kits I can eitherh ave built into a ship or pack into one. Huge PITA to remember all the mats for a stonecutter and poo poo when setting out on sailing journeys abroad with just portal mats.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I came to a realization earlier today when we were getting our new plains base sorted that the incidental wishbone iron is meant for exactly "Oh we're setting up a new base. I'll just run over to the neighboring swamp and grab a cup of iron for stonecutter/beams/doors/etc." Like I've found three or four beeps over there and I feel like that'll work just fine for our keep.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Xand_Man posted:

They should just add more stuff to do with boats. Let passengers assist by rowing, scouting land or even fishing. Upgrade rafts and karves so they are useful after you unlock longboats.

A viking longship without oars feels really wrong.

Also there needs to be longship cats.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I mean I did get huge loads of tin back from the island where I fought the elder via my karve. It took three trips in the karve since I had so much it didn't all fit in the hold and I didn't want to risk it in a cart. Also you can't pilot ships while encumbered.

Getting all that tin plus three cart full of copper back to my meadows/black forest base to smelt it all took ages and I wasn't envious to repeat it. Once I saw the initial ridiculous costs of iron stuff I didn't feel as bad about doing a map hop to move the metal.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Best way I've found for post-swamp iron is to not actually try to farm it. We've beaten all 5 bosses on our current game and are just basically building and whatnot at this point, and my roommate got a full boat of iron just doing exploration- he was sailing around all the islands to get the coastlines and hunt serpents and whatnot, and any time he saw a crypt near the coast he'd go clear it out and move on

It ended up being a lot more enjoyable than being frustrated by finding yet another sliver of swamp with no crypts when trying specifically to get metal

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

more reason to find and kill fulings

your hatred of them isn't enough? drat

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DelphiAegis posted:

Getting all that tin plus three cart full of copper back to my meadows/black forest base to smelt it all took ages and I wasn't envious to repeat it. Once I saw the initial ridiculous costs of iron stuff I didn't feel as bad about doing a map hop to move the metal.

If you count the components of the bronze (2 copper + 1 tin), the iron requirements are only about 25% more, right? And you don’t have the problem of mismatched copper/tin leftovers to upset you every time you open that chest.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

xzzy posted:

Funny way of spelling Vallhund

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Subjunctive posted:

If you count the components of the bronze (2 copper + 1 tin), the iron requirements are only about 25% more, right? And you don’t have the problem of mismatched copper/tin leftovers to upset you every time you open that chest.

One thing that actually sucks is that copper is used for other poo poo but tin isn't. Like give me something to do with leftover tin and it'll be fine.

If you have leftover copper you don't have enough wall sconces.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

It was raining at my base portal, but I was sheltered and next to a fire so didn't have the wet debuff. Maybe it removes the shelter/fire before porting?

Even if you've got the wet debuff, if you stack wolf armor with the frost mead it should negate it (I've tested this myself in fact.) Maybe just toss a fire down real quick in the mountains to drain the wet debuff quickly?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Xand_Man posted:

I wish there were upgrades later to the Karve. I want to turn that thing into a zippy serpent hunting and harpooning machine!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Scruffpuff posted:

Maybe just toss a fire down real quick in the mountains to drain the wet debuff quickly?

Yeah this is the simple way to fix it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Spanish Matlock posted:

One thing that actually sucks is that copper is used for other poo poo but tin isn't. Like give me something to do with leftover tin and it'll be fine.

If you have leftover copper you don't have enough wall sconces.

A cauldron in every corner!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Untrustable posted:

Fulings showed up at my meadows main base. What the hell? Little doofs wandered in and murdered me.

I've read that happens if you kill the 5th boss.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Nighttime swamp runs, one wraith, one chain. Chains have to be the rarest item in the game. You don't need them for much, but the things you need them for are critical.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

If you're inexplicably cold try setting yourself on fire, I fall asleep while on fire every night in Valheim.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

xzzy posted:

A viking longship without oars feels really wrong.

Would be keen if you co-op partner could hop on the oars and speed you up, especially when the wind isn't playing nice (or the absurdly long cooldown for wind power is down)

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

WoodrowSkillson posted:

tbh they really could use a high level portal that can transport ore, or maybe even just the refined ingots. going sailing is fun af but it does get tedious. being able to set up a network of 2-3 bases with smelting capacity, and then 1 with the high level forge seems like a good compromise that might lessen the urge to just use the trick of server hopping.

It feels like they should have put the 4th boss ability earlier, maybe from the second boss. I think this would go a long way to ease the mid game bottlenecks around iron + the tedious logistics to make it work out depending on your seed.

I absolutely love sailing, but what I don’t love is sitting and waiting for the wind to turn so I can actually transport these 10 copper bars or whatever I need to upgrade crafting stations to the island that’s only plains and swamps where I want to craft iron.

This is definitely where the game progression feels like it is a bit “early access-y”. Would not be surprised at all if there was supposed to be another biome with iron somewhere between the swamps and plains that got cut.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i do wish there were ways to get stone easier as you get towards the end game. mining stone is a huge chore right now for anything substantial.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Since I finished the game normally i've installed some mods and decided to do hardcore runs. One life, If I die I delete the character and the world.

So far I'm on my second attempt... and I think I've generated the smallest starting Island i've ever seen. You can't even get to Eikthyr without crossing water, the Elder is almost halfway to the world edge to the west.

punishedkissinger posted:

i do wish there were ways to get stone easier as you get towards the end game. mining stone is a huge chore right now for anything substantial.

Collapse one of the big rocks in the plains. Either mine out the lowest layer or the ground below it and it will crumble. 3000 stone usually.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

causticBeet posted:

It feels like they should have put the 4th boss ability earlier, maybe from the second boss. I think this would go a long way to ease the mid game bottlenecks around iron + the tedious logistics to make it work out depending on your seed.

I absolutely love sailing, but what I don’t love is sitting and waiting for the wind to turn so I can actually transport these 10 copper bars or whatever I need to upgrade crafting stations to the island that’s only plains and swamps where I want to craft iron.

This is definitely where the game progression feels like it is a bit “early access-y”. Would not be surprised at all if there was supposed to be another biome with iron somewhere between the swamps and plains that got cut.

One of the best features of the game, the generated world, is also likely to uppercut you as well. In some unlucky cases the game's progression is hamstrung by it, in other cases, it's smooth as silk. I got super lucky to find a medium-sized island with all 5 biomes, each a reasonable size, but I went through countless false starts to get here.

The luck of the draw on crypt iron is kinda poo poo too. You can be overflowing after 1-2 crypts or starving after 15.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Motherfuck
I ran my world seed through a mapping site and I was seriously within spitting distance of the 4th boss.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

We created an island for some friends and I to play on on a server and I made several laps around it to find some burial mounds for cores. Nothing.

Finally I managed to get the seed of the map and look it up and despite how cool our starting island is there were a total of 4 tucked into the mountain biomes borders in various spots and that was it for a whole, huge starting island.

Needless to say I popped into a single player wod, spawned about 50 cores, and came back, because that kind of RNG is absolutely awful.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
The iron grind is kind of souring me on the game tbh, the only decent sized swamp within a 10-15 minute boat ride of my main base had like two tiny crypts in it and not even enough iron between them to make more than two items

feast or famine huh? my gaming time is too limited for this game past black forest it seems :(

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Martout posted:

The iron grind is kind of souring me on the game tbh, the only decent sized swamp within a 10-15 minute boat ride of my main base had like two tiny crypts in it and not even enough iron between them to make more than two items

feast or famine huh? my gaming time is too limited for this game past black forest it seems :(

Best advice i can give you in this situation: make the longship first (10 iron) and move your smelter/workbench/forge upgrades to a newer location with less travel time.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Khanstant posted:

Would be keen if you co-op partner could hop on the oars and speed you up, especially when the wind isn't playing nice (or the absurdly long cooldown for wind power is down)

There’s a mod that increases paddle speed (1 forward or 1 reverse) based on the number of people aboard the ship, fwiw. Nexus search and I don’t get along so I can’t find it right now, alas.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

FrickenMoron posted:

Best advice i can give you in this situation: make the longship first (10 iron) and move your smelter/workbench/forge upgrades to a newer location with less travel time.

when I can be bothered to spend an entire evening worth of gaming time finding a swamp worth moving close to, sure :(

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Valheim Discord posted:

Hi vikings!. We are waiting for Valve to update Steam so that we can push out the next round of bugfixes and patches for the client. (this is not the hearth and home update) Thank you all for being patient!

Looks like patch incoming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Martout posted:

For what it's worth, it seems like the bonemass altar tends to spawn in a larger swamp area with multiple crypts. (Except when he doesn't, because RNG is a harsh mistress.) In my case, his surrounding swamp has something like a dozen crypts, and I keep running into more every time I think I've found them all. Also two surtling spawners thrown in, which is a nice bonus. If you've got his location on your map and haven't checked it out yet, it might be worth heading there. Apologies in advance if your bonemass spawn turns out to be on a tiny strip of swamp island.